AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-10-22, 21:04   Link #61
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post

How about ufotable in your list ?
There're also recent studios which are promising like Gohands, Ordet or 8-Bit.
However I think having expectations according to studios may give some hints but it isn't totally relevant.
Ah well I'm not really considering ufotable's Kara no Kyoukai as really part of this season, but they rock the house for sure.

However, while studios are not necessarily an ultimate death sentence to a show, it's a good indicator of its production quality and style. Certain studios have shown to not be trustworthy whatsoever (DEEN) or at least makes you very dubious about them (J.C. Staff).

So yes, maybe I'll miss some shows that seep through the cracks, but I usually end up hearing about them later or while its airing. Is this very common? From my experience no. I usually am pretty good at judging which shows are good for me or not based on summaries, studios, directors, and a few images.

The last show that I missed like that was Kurenai. But really, it's not too common for me.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 16:25   Link #62
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Just going to mention that Higurashi had to be rescued by its creator
wait, what

I've never heard of this, what happened?

Quote:
Really - is that official? Last I heard was winter.
Same here, I read January 2011.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 17:12   Link #63
Zip

I wonder if Tailenders will be successful against Redline. Redline may have the better animation, but it looks like Taileneders will deliver the better plot (flaming-red Kamina with an ENGINE for a heart, anyone?)
Zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 17:36   Link #64
Washi

A better chart with a few added series has been made: http://yfrog.com/f/6dt3pij/

Personally, I'm looking forward to:
Fractale - I find Yamakan to be an interesting (if not always highly competant) director, and because he said he'd retire (from anime) if this series fails, the stakes are high! A-1 Pictures and Studio Ordet work really well together, and as this is a noitaminA series, I'm expecting them to raise the bar a little.

Infinite Stratos - I'm curious to see what fledgeling studio, 8-bit can pull out from this one! On the downside, it sounds fairly generic.

Yumekui Merry - I just love the cute character designs, so I'll check this out and hope it goes well.

Kimi no Todoke will be good, but sadly I never saw the first season.

Gosick - because it looks interesting. Although, the director of Heroman.. If BONES' better staff are still working on Star Driver, this might not turn out all that great.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka - I like the designs and the manga has some nice fanservice. So it could be good light entertainment!
There are also a bunch of OVAs I'm looking forward to!

It's not a great season overall is it. I'm getting the vibe that next season will be better.
Old 2010-10-23, 17:53   Link #65
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
wait, what

I don't know the full details (someone like Klashikari might know more) but I do know that a whole arc needed to be added in the second anime in order to provide the whole set of clues the first one skipped.
Old 2010-10-24, 01:37   Link #66
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
wait, what

Short story short, the first season of Higurashi had 6 (out of 8!) arcs crammed in there, and thus a lot of things would make very little sense. The first arc of Higurashi Kai was actually an anime orginal part to explain some of these missing things.

Quoting wiki's Higurashi page:

Spoiler for Higurashi Kai:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 01:56   Link #67
Albafica
Pisces no saint

In your Winter 2011 page, I'm only interested by Wolverine anime and Beelzebub.
I really want to know how Wolverine will looks in japanese animation.
Old 2010-10-24, 03:53   Link #68
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albafica View Post
I really want to know how Wolverine will looks in japanese animation.
Have you not seen the trailer? A lot of people were turned off by it.
Old 2010-10-25, 07:57   Link #69
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
After skimming through I'd say Gosick is the one series I'm most looking forward to. Fractale kind of sounds interesting.

I'll give the rest a chance, but from the summaries not that excited about too many others. I mean damn what the heck did they do to Wolverine? Looks like he spent too much time trying to impersonate a werewolf....

Will wait and see how the season turns out.
Old 2010-10-25, 10:05   Link #70
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Meh.

None of the animes for Winter looked interesting in that chart, except for Fractale. Seems kinda small amount of animes too, didn't Fall have much more ? Not sure about Fractale's story either, but since Ordet is part of it ... It's a must watch. I loved their work with BRS. A-1 Pictures has done good work with some animes I liked, as well.
Old 2010-10-25, 14:00   Link #71
Dremora

Fractale would be my number one pick atm, but it's still a big mystery. I love some of the background art I've seen; looks like it has potential to be something different.

Other than that, Wandering Son and Gosick look alright.

Also looking forward to continuing Kimi No Todoke and Mistudumoe (to a lesser extent).

Looks to be a couple of interesting OVAs, Koi Sento being the standout.
Dremora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 14:28   Link #72
hinakatbklyn

Kind of looks like a slow winter concerning new series. Using the preview synopsis to determine what interests me:

I'll check out Gosick, Merry Dream Eater, and Dragon Crisis.
Old 2010-10-25, 18:10   Link #73
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Looks like more OVA's for me. Big surprise.

I'm inclined to offer that TV anime has looked less and less appealing and OVA's more and more so for about a year now. I'll gladly trade off overall length for the general superior quality of production and maturity in storytelling that come with OVA's much of the time. Especially considering the way TV anime is going the 12/13 episode season is now the norm and OVA's are starting to see a rise in one hour features of six episodes or more a piece that are released every couple of months. Break Blade and Gundam UC being recent examples.

I think we're seeing a return to form for OVA's to what they were in the 80's (independent features) instead of simply sequels and a cheap way to make extra profit off of a successful TV franchise without having to requisition a TV block to air it. Of course the latter still exists, but I consider them OVA's in name only since they aren't "original video", but just animation that is little better than what we see in the TV side versions of the show in question.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-10-25 at 18:31.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 18:48   Link #74
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Looks like more OVA's for me. Big surprise.

I'm inclined to offer that TV anime has looked less and less appealing and OVA's more and more so for about a year now. I'll gladly trade off overall length for the general superior quality of production and maturity in storytelling that come with OVA's much of the time. Especially considering the way TV anime is going the 12/13 episode season is now the norm and OVA's are starting to see a rise in one hour features of six episodes or more a piece that are released every couple of months. Break Blade and Gundam UC being recent examples.

I think we're seeing a return to form for OVA's to what they were in the 80's (independent features) instead of simply sequels and a cheap way to make extra profit off of a successful TV franchise without having to requisition a TV block to air it. Of course the latter still exists, but I consider them OVA's in name only since they aren't "original video", but just animation that is little better than what we see in the TV side versions of the show in question.
Nice insight there. I wouldn't mind the OVA route if it means more quality over quantity-- that area will probably be where I set sights on.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 20:18   Link #75
Cabrini6000

Mostly, like many others, I'm interested in Gosick. I also want to watch Beelzebub, Fractale (Anybody eles notice that it's spelled wrong in the New Announced Anime Thread?), The 2nd Season of Mitsudomoe, and Hourou Musuko. Although, based on the plot of other animes, I might end up watching them after I see the preview.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot Starry Sky. I'm angry with myself, I've been waiting for this to come out for a while.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Cabrini6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 20:58   Link #76
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

As of now I'm really concerned on Fractale,, looks like this one will be a gem for winter but at the same time I think it will be bad if I'm expecting that much from the series.

Kimi ni Todoke of course *moar Sawako*
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2010-10-26, 01:29   Link #77
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Definite watch :

-Gosick

High probability of continuing after first few episode :

- Infinite Stratos
- Dragon Crisis
- Fractale

Checking first few episode only

- Beelzebub
- Kore wa zombie desuka
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 00:22   Link #78
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Nice insight there. I wouldn't mind the OVA route if it means more quality over quantity-- that area will probably be where I set sights on.
Looking at these PV's which just came out for a handful of Armored Trooper Votoms OVA's I completely forgot about I'm 100% certain I'm making the right call now:

http://www.votoms.net/festival/votom...ne_pv_102s.asx
http://www.votoms.net/festival/votom...er_pv_124s.asx
http://www.votoms.net/festival/votom...bi_pv_130s.asx

There you go folks, that's what I'll be watching.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 02:05   Link #79
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
While I am somewhat partial to the "quality over quantity" approach - I often find it's the top few shows that make a particular season memorable for me, rather than the season as a whole - I definitely prefer the TV format to OVAs. I like to consume my media at a steady, consistent rate, and TV series are one of the few formats well suited to this.

That said, I'm not exactly happy with the number of anime these days that utterly fail to provide a complete story. I don't mind this in 4Koma adaptations where the journey is the point, but adaptations of "ongoing" light novels seem to be really bad about this. Not only do many lack a good ending (because the source material is incomplete), but many seem to pad the series with fluff rather than actually advancing a story. And of course, previews do very little to help me separate the series with these faults from those that don't have them - that usually only becomes apparent a few episodes in.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 15:16   Link #80
Featherine B.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
*Author

I guess I'll be checking out Gosick, although I don't really know what to expect, and Starry Sky, if it doesn't end up getting canceled of course. Other than that, as a huge fan of the TV series, I know at least that I'll definitely be watching Supernatural, even though I can't say I'm not the least bit concerned about the way the anime is going to look. I'm also curious as to what episode format they'll use (40 minutes per ep just like the tv series would be the best choice, and that would explain why it's categorized under OVA as opposed to a normal anime).
Beelzebub sounds like fun, I might give it a shot, and the Mirai Nikki OVA is definitely a must-watch.

Tags
series