Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-29, 15:45   Link #61
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
I didn't know that she [Nabatame Hitomi] had a bit part in Blue Drop as well. *ponders* Now I have an excuse to go rewatch all of the episodes and figure out where she popped up....
I believe she was one of the pilots ("operators") on the Noval battleship.

And I see from Japanese Wikipedia that the director of Candy Boy has also done some storyboarding, for episodes of Fate/Stay Night, Shounen Onmyouji, and Solty Rei. And he was the main hands-on director (enshutsu) for the School Days game.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-12-29 at 16:18.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 19:17   Link #62
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I believe she was one of the pilots ("operators") on the Noval battleship.
Thanks for pointing that out. I rarely pay attention to background characters. Perhaps I should reassess that practice
Old 2007-12-29, 23:56   Link #63
Dark Wing

three words "Short Yet Sweet" thats the only way I can describe it. After watching the end of Blue Drop and suffering form a depression as a result I'm glad I found Candy Boy. It cheered me right up!

I really really hope for an actual series one day.
Old 2007-12-30, 00:07   Link #64
z3phyr.mp3
:love: Tsukasa :love:
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to z3phyr.mp3
wow...
this thread is getting more active lately...
i'm glad more people are noticing this short and sweet ova...
i guess i said this before and many share the same sentiments, but i hope this will get an anime series or at least an ova...
z3phyr.mp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 01:18   Link #65
changeup

Just to complement a little bit... some of the other famous yuri series Naba has taken part in:

1. Gokujou Seitokai, in which she voiced the president of the student council: Kanade Jinkuuji, who, of course, has been the center of admiration and love from several other girls...

2. Strawberry Mashmellow, in which she voiced Itou Nobue, the ultimate old sister...(oneesama? lol)...

3. Mushiuta, in which she voiced Rina, who was involved in a yuri relationship with Shika (voiced by Hanazawa Kana)...

4. In Prism Ark, as Kagura, who obviously has some fantasy towards the heroine Prescia...

5. also voiced Lucia Nahashi in the drama CD of Venus versus Virus (which is a yuri story, although the anime adaptation toned that part down a lot...)

It is interesting that although her lover has widely been assumed to be Itou Shizuka, but they never represented such a relationship in any series, although they both appeared together in a lot of them...

Quote:
Short as it was, I thought that was one of the best anime of the year. The same story could have been stretched to several episodes by a normal treatment, but here they got full value from every second. Best ONA I've seen.

Nabatame Hitomi (Kana) continues to solidify her image as queen of Japan's yuri seiyuu. Not only did she play Shizuka in Strawberry Panic, but she presents an image of herself as gay in real life. Of course, she began her career as Arcueid Brunestad in Tsukihime, and her best role, in my opinion, was Nobue-oneesan in Ichigo Mashimaro.
changeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 02:00   Link #66
Fweakin

How short and sweet was this?

I found it by stalking seiyuu's CV's and was pleasantly surprised with the result of my efforts. I must admit the implied twincest kinda creeps me out a little (having a double myself), by thats okay because it's subtle enough that I can spin it so its deep yet platonic

I found the twins banter to be hilarious (props to Naba and Yuzuki Ryouka) and Sakuya to be sufficiently fangirly without being annoying.

I really wish they'd make a short series out of this.
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 02:13   Link #67
changeup

Actually I don't consider them to be twins... They do not look alike at all!!!

I would rather believe they have no blood relationship at all. Maybe both are adopted? Or just simply foster sisters?

Anyway, for yuri it's ok to be sisters... since the offspring shall not be an issue... I feel it a little bit more annoying in Myself;Yourself... though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post
How short and sweet was this?

I found it by stalking seiyuu's CV's and was pleasantly surprised with the result of my efforts. I must admit the implied twincest kinda creeps me out a little (having a double myself), by thats okay because it's subtle enough that I can spin it so its deep yet platonic

I found the twins banter to be hilarious (props to Naba and Yuzuki Ryouka) and Sakuya to be sufficiently fangirly without being annoying.

I really wish they'd make a short series out of this.
changeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 02:21   Link #68
Lady_in_blue

candy boy was absolutely great!!! at least the light heartedness of the entire thing is kinda of assuring that no lesbians will die...almost every yuri or shoujo ai series that ive seen its either the characters died or did not end up together or they had the potential of ending up together...sigh... atleast in candy boy rest assured that both the characters kana and yuki really love each other..
Lady_in_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 02:28   Link #69
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeup View Post

I would rather believe they have no blood relationship at all. Maybe both are adopted? Or just simply foster sisters?

Anyway, for yuri it's ok to be sisters... since the offspring shall not be an issue... I feel it a little bit more annoying in Myself;Yourself... though...
I guess you've never heard of Fraternal Twins?... That when twins are born but they are not identical...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fratern...raternal_twins

You see Candy Boy is one of those shows where you have to keep an open mind while watching. After all they are both 16 or so years old and have made the decision to truly love one another with no regrets.
Old 2007-12-30, 03:36   Link #70
Fweakin

Quote:
Incest really doesn't do it for me regardless of gender or whether genetic diversity is an issue.

I guess thats the beauty of how they've constructed the ONA; I can put it down to familial attachment, and others can attribute it to something more.
Old 2007-12-30, 04:07   Link #71
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Incest really doesn't do it for me regardless of gender or whether genetic diversity is an issue.

I guess thats the beauty of how they've constructed the ONA; I can put it down to familial attachment, and others can attribute it to something more.
Not really, because if it was only "familial attachment" then Sakuya's feelings towards Kanade wouldn't be an issue, but they are. Furthermore, the childhood kiss scene goes beyond the platonic, and Yukino herself states that she knew about that kiss and is eager for more.

You can see it as platonic if you want, but that has nothing to do with how the ONA is constructed. This ONA depicts a romantic relationship, and even hints to the physical part of it that is to come.
Old 2007-12-30, 04:22   Link #72
Fweakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Not really, because if it was only "familial attachment" then Sakuya's feelings towards Kanade wouldn't be an issue, but they are.

You can see it as platonic if you want, but that has nothing to do with how the ONA is constructed. This ONA depicts a romantic relationship, and even hints to the physical part of it that is to come.
I take it you don't have a twin, eh?

There can be an element of possessiveness in twins relationships in which any kind of perceived strong attachment is a threat. Jealously is not strictly confined to romantic relationships. Not something I have experienced, but I've heard and seen examples of it myself.

And if you read my post before, you'd see I said I'd spin it the way I want. I'm not saying that its purely platonic and that's that. It's just the way I view it. I'm not attacking anyone or trying to convince anyone they should view it my way. (again it's all due to my having a twin and the thought being distasteful to me).
Old 2007-12-30, 09:58   Link #73
golthin

Quote:

they are fraternal twins, the most common type of twins.

I wonder why people try to rationalize that there is nothing romantic between the sister. The reason we see the story is because of that Rare and special thing. Most twins don't go the way these two sisters go and that is why we see it in the story. Who care to watch two normal siblings or Twins, the special relationship is what makes it good. People and their Incest phobia trying to rationalize it so they can feel good when it is so obvious what the director is trying to tell us .
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 12:18   Link #74
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
"Incest phobia" is a good way to put it. Geez if it is done well I don't really care what type of relationship it is. M;Y is one case where it is done well so the "bitchings" is rather annoying. This is a good start, so I'm hoping it gets what it deserves. This may very well be a "tester" for the market - the same thing happened to sky girls before it recieved a full series.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 14:04   Link #75
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...I must admit the implied twincest kinda creeps me out a little (having a double myself), by thats okay because it's subtle enough that I can spin it so its deep yet platonic ....
Perfect. Holding hands. Sleeping in the same bed. Being possessive of each other. None of this needs to imply sex...unless one wants it to.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 14:06   Link #76
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Perfect. Holding hands. Sleeping in the same bed. Being possessive of each other. None of this needs to imply sex...unless one wants it to.
lol, it's like the impalacation of yuri on a very suggestive level, but never there ^^, such a teaser ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 14:25   Link #77
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
See, this is why the Japanese need to start learning how to NAME THEIR ANIME.

The Title "Candy Boy" made me think it was some sort of twisted, scary and terrorizing yaoi show, and it gave me the chills by just clicking on the topic. However, surprise! It's cute and most-wanted yuri ( does anyone see the hypocrite in me? ) goodness, and Zero is now downloading it with a smile on his face.

And, by the way, do I need to say this needs MOAR?

Edit:

WAIT, THIS IS TWINCEST? HOLY SARDINE, BATMAN!

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 14:30   Link #78
Zippicus

It's kind of funny that this ONA is like 10 minutes long and there's 4 pages of posts talking about it. It's a testament to the writer that they can convey so much in so little time. Regarding the whole "twincest" thing, I'm glad that they left the relationship ambiguous, it lets people see what they choose to see. I really would love to see some more of this, it's the kind of show that I really like.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 15:20   Link #79
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

The evidence shown in the Westermarck effect combined with the fact that less than 10% of women are lesbians, pretty much proves that them having a romantic relationship would be completely unrealistic. Then again, who cares if it's unrealistic? This is anime, a source of pure entertainment (and oh how I was entertained ). If you want incest in a realistic setting, watch Koi Kaze. This ONA is just plain fun to watch. Nothing more. You can just leave it up to you're own interpretation. If you want their relationship to be incestuous, it is. If you want it to be good old fashioned sisterly affection, it is. I for one, want this to come to TV badly.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 15:31   Link #80
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
The evidence shown in the Westermarck effect combined with the fact that less than 10% of women are lesbians, pretty much proves that them having a romantic relationship would be completely unrealistic.
I'd love to see what scholarly evidence you have that less than 10% of the current population of women are lesbian. I'm not wholly convinced this is true; even if it were that would be serious guesstimation that couldn't even be taken seriously. And this post you've given us is a bit sketchy, IMHO. The research cited does not say whether they took into account other possibly determining factors such as culture differences, other behavioural factors and relationships with siblings. I'm just not comfortable with someone stating this as incontrovertable fact. Statistics are all too often misquoted, misinterpretated or have serious standard deviation errors.

Tags
romantic comedy, yuri