AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-08, 10:09   Link #121
New/Old
Old to the New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
after seeing ep 6, i would say kanade kinda killed her emotion because her friend was disappearing one by one that she fed up with all of that and don't bother in making friends/becoming close to anyone again.

But why hasn't she disappear? she is a model student, go to school, follow the school life obediently, obey the school rule, and hasn't disappear yet, so uh.. whats going on there
Because disappearing/moving on is more than following the rules and such, it's about facing what one's life before was, letting go of one's regrets/grudges, and finding something that brings ease of mind and acceptance to one's being.
Old 2010-05-08, 10:13   Link #122
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv

Send a message via MSN to DarkWish
Someone should build up a Kanade moe meter
Old 2010-05-08, 10:47   Link #123
Lennstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by New/Old View Post
Because disappearing/moving on is more than following the rules and such, it's about facing what one's life before was, letting go of one's regrets/grudges, and finding something that brings ease of mind and acceptance to one's being.
I think following the rules is the 1st way for normal students and the 2nd way (ease of mind/acceptance/letting go of one´s regrets/grudges) is for problem students/rebels like the SSS member or Naoi etc. [We dont know how many ways there are.]

I think Tenshi is a special case in some way and thats the reason why she is still there.

Spoiler for Hand Sonic 5 x3:

Old 2010-05-08, 11:52   Link #124
Raiza Sunozaki

Spoiler for Episode 6:
Old 2010-05-08, 12:16   Link #125
wontaek

Maybe what Tenshi needs to learn is learning to let go and cherish the happy memories of the past. Or perhaps she was a model student in the past life, and during a rare moment of not adhering to the rules, someone died because of it. That might be why she has became defender of the rules again, when the real thing she needs to accept is that sometimes, it is ok to bend the rules. These are two things that Tenshi has shown to be somewhat lacking, thus might be key to her salvation.
Old 2010-05-08, 12:21   Link #126
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

I would think different; Kanade wants to have a true friend in this afterlife, but since normalizing and finding happiness within the afterlife becomes a reason for people to disappear, She's stuck in limbo because none of her friends stay long enough for her to feel loved.
Old 2010-05-08, 12:22   Link #127
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWish View Post
Someone should build up a Kanade moe meter
it is obviously over 9000

and her mouth has to be fire proof, the real mafpu tofu is HOT.
Old 2010-05-08, 12:28   Link #128
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
I would think different; Kanade wants to have a true friend in this afterlife, but since normalizing and finding happiness within the afterlife becomes a reason for people to disappear, She's stuck in limbo because none of her friends stay long enough for her to feel loved.
Perhaps this is why Otonashi don't have his memory? Because having one's memory would be needed to find peace with himself, and Otonashi can stay with Tenshi long enough for her to ascend. Perhaps, Otonashi is supposed to be the replacement for Tenshi? Just wild guesses, though.
Old 2010-05-08, 19:57   Link #129
CLL

I'd say that Tenshi's love for Mapo Tofu is abnormal because it is said that "nobody buys it".

She may not realize it yet, but it is the tofu that keeps her around, even when she finds happiness with friends.
Old 2010-05-08, 21:46   Link #130
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it is obviously over 9000

and her mouth has to be fire proof, the real mafpu tofu is HOT.
Actually, it's the Mapu Tofu that's over 9000 on the Scoville scale, making it about as hot as Serrano peppers
"Their flavor is crisp, bright, and biting, notably hotter than the Jalapeno pepper they resemble, and they are typically eaten raw. Its Scoville rating is 10,000 to 25,000."
Old 2010-05-09, 20:06   Link #131
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL View Post
I'd say that Tenshi's love for Mapo Tofu is abnormal because it is said that "nobody buys it".

She may not realize it yet, but it is the tofu that keeps her around, even when she finds happiness with friends.
She'll ascend from the afterlife when she learns to appreciate other foods.
Old 2010-05-10, 09:20   Link #132
Key Board
Carbon

Kanade == Reki from Haibane Renmei

something is holding her back (maybe suicide?)
Old 2010-05-10, 09:27   Link #133
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Kanade == Reki from Haibane Renmei

something is holding her back (maybe suicide?)
Despite the large amount of parallels between the two shows, I doubt it would be suicide. Maeda-sensei's been pretty consistent with his original statement of "nobody here died from suicide" so I don't think it would be suicide that is holding her back.
However, I could see her stuck in a paradox of coincidence. Through random chance, out of all the people she befriended when she arrived at the school passed on before her, causing her to become lonely and unsatisfied. However, having acknowledged that satisfaction is the path to escaping this world, she realized she could never escape this world, as her satisfaction would be finding friends and enjoying school life with them, but they would pass on before she can.
Old 2010-05-11, 01:24   Link #134
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
However, having acknowledged that satisfaction is the path to escaping this world, she realized she could never escape this world, as her satisfaction would be finding friends and enjoying school life with them, but they would pass on before she can.
Not really, all she has to do is to be satisfied before they does. Which isn't exactly too hard in as of itself.
Old 2010-05-11, 17:00   Link #135
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Not really, all she has to do is to be satisfied before they does. Which isn't exactly too hard in as of itself.
Not if she's the kind of person that can't be happy if her friends aren't happy. If for her to be happy, her friends must be happy, then she would be stuck within the afterlife forever.
Old 2010-05-14, 21:59   Link #136
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
Not if she's the kind of person that can't be happy if her friends aren't happy. If for her to be happy, her friends must be happy, then she would be stuck within the afterlife forever.
I question whether it's that simple. More than likely we will never really have anything to guess at in terms of what would cause her to move on until her backstory is revealed. With any luck that will be episodes eight or nine. On top of that, if such was the case then technically she would've ascended out of the afterlife in the first batch of friends (or possibly the second) since she was shown as being happy with her friends when she had been willing to make them. It was only after they had started to all disappear she gave up.

It makes sense to think that, but if that's the case I'll seriously question the story of Angel Beats. Given her apprehensive nature towards other people (possibly towards members of the opposite sex?) it's possible that she could have a more romantic goal. Maybe a relationship and feelings of love towards someone like Otonashi would be her ticket out of there if she's gone most of her life being unwilling to let people get close to her.

Now that I think about it, I really shouldn't be encouraging her to leave the show!
Old 2010-05-15, 01:06   Link #137
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Well, ive inserted the idea that yuri proved nothing when she made the claim of kanade being human in her mind, because she had no solid basis for it. No proof either way, but as of episode 7 ill mention that again.

Also, OtanashixKanade must happen. I dont foresee a signicant dispute over it, so that is all.
Old 2010-05-15, 01:16   Link #138
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Noez my Otonashi x Yuri shipping is dying D:
Old 2010-05-15, 02:29   Link #139
Mazrem

It's possible that she simply doesn't remember her past life, same as Otonashi was until recently. If that were the case, then she wouldn't know how to pass on, and so long as her memory stays unclear, she could theoretically be forced to stay.
Old 2010-05-15, 06:06   Link #140
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:

Quote:
She'll ascend from the afterlife when she learns to appreciate other foods.
That makes sense... Yes, it actually does.

Logically speaking, the tofu must have a magical/sensational property that makes her yearn for more. Which might be why she hasn't passed on yet.

....Or it's not the tofu and it's something else entirely. Maybe someone she knew use to make her it, which is why she likes it?

I vote for tofu, however. It's the most logical in my perspective thus far. Unless Tenshi can bring more to the table -- I mean the tofu, not an explanation -- I'm not likely to think of a possible conclusion.

To be serious, I meant it when I said that maybe she knew someone that made her it. It's entirely possible, maybe she knew someone that liked it instead? I'll just say it's up in the air until it is explained.
Closed Thread