AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-10-21, 12:26   Link #3481
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsePrime View Post
Outside of being amazed at how AGE totally bombed it's also interesting to note just how close OO/Wing/G are in terms of how they performed.

All three did well/to very well and yet looking back and comparing them to how they are treated now makes it look like their placements on the chart would be much different then how they are.
How are they treated now that makes you think they could've been placed differently on the chart? Are they treated better or worse than what their chart placements seem to imply?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 12:39   Link #3482
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Outside of being amazed at how AGE totally bombed it's also interesting to note just how close OO/Wing/G are in terms of how they performed.

All three did well/to very well and yet looking back and comparing them to how they are treated now makes it look like their placements on the chart would be much different then how they are.
Gundam 00 was absolutely detested while it was airing by a large section of the Gundam fandom. The only reason it's generally accepted now is that it's no longer the current series, but the bile for it was much stronger than even AGE at it's weakest moments, believe me I was there for most of it. I expect AGE will fare much better in peoples memories once the next series rolls around and the Gundam cycle will follow through in time.

As for Wing and G, I of course think both would fare much more poorly (yes even G, which already got a rough ride in it's first run for being so different) if they aired today and were subject to the internet's hyper-critical atmosphere that has not been at all kind to the Gundam franchise among others. I think it's no coincidence that Gundam series were doing okay in terms of fan reception up until the time the internet really started to take off circa Seed. I still remember the days of Gundam Project forums run by Mark Simmons (who you can see in the credits for Gundam Unicorn as a canon advisor) in the late 90's/early 2000's when the hottest newest thing on the block was Turn A Gundam and where things were very different and you could feel and practically breathe in the passion the posters had for Gundam and the desire for greater access to it. Flash forward about 15 years and that greater access seems to have become more of a double edged sword than anything.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 12:58   Link #3483
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Gundam 00 was absolutely detested while it was airing by a large section of the Gundam fandom. The only reason it's generally accepted now is that it's no longer the current series, but the bile for it was much stronger than even AGE at it's weakest moments, believe me I was there for most of it. I expect AGE will fare much better in peoples memories once the next series rolls around and the Gundam cycle will follow through in time.
Wow, I didn’t know that. I’ve never checked this forum when 00 was airing when I was in the college. The funny thing is, almost all my Gundam-fan friends like 00 right from the get go (aka first ep). They like the badassness of Exia, the coolness of sniper Dynames, the bulkiness of Virtue and the transformable Kyrios. Not to mention each pilot is likable in their own way (and I don’t even include fujoshis’ take on them ). Other characters are also entertaining to see. The dramatic story is also a nice addition (Saji’s sister being killed in a cold-blood is really a punch-in-the-gut). All in all, me and my friends really like (if not love) 00. It’s totally a redemption after a disaster which is SEED Destiny.

On another topic, the fact that AGE’s rating is below X didn’t really surprise me since I already mention many times how X has better plot, more developed characters and, overall, better execution. It’s too bad that X wasn’t allowed to have as much episodes as AGE was. X is good in building up its story. I’d love to see X’s “true ending” instead of the rush-job that we got.
Old 2012-10-21, 14:24   Link #3484
FalsePrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
How are they treated now that makes you think they could've been placed differently on the chart? Are they treated better or worse than what their chart placements seem to imply?
To some degree they are.

Setsuna even now when we look at things like G Gen Overworld is still very much at the center of attention and even things like Gundam Extreme VS has him having several suits (Exia, OO, Qan [t]) where as Heero and Domon only have Wing Zero EW and God.

Not that I really mind, it's just going by the listing Setsuna and OO are much more closer to a Heero/Wing and Domon/G then a Amuro/Gundam and Kira/SEED, yet he is often presented more in line with how they treat the later two.

Take into account that OO's movie was met with mixed reaction at best and Endless Waltz tends to be more popular then Wing making them OO and Wing even closer it just stands out as odd.

Then again OO and Setsuna's hold could very much be a side effect of how AGE tanked and was hated because of art even before release.

Also I do agree that Wing and G would have a more negative reaction had they released today. I however don't think they would have performed much worse. Looking at how the Endless Waltz stuff seems tosale and Bandai are still going with it and we are getting more in the line in a few months leads me to believe EW would still have performed fairly well. TV on the other hand, yeah likely not.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 15:17   Link #3485
monster

Quote:
To some degree they are.

Setsuna even now when we look at things like G Gen Overworld is still very much at the center of attention and even things like Gundam Extreme VS has him having several suits (Exia, OO, Qan [t]) where as Heero and Domon only have Wing Zero EW and God.

Not that I really mind, it's just going by the listing Setsuna and OO are much more closer to a Heero/Wing and Domon/G then a Amuro/Gundam and Kira/SEED, yet he is often presented more in line with how they treat the later two.

Take into account that OO's movie was met with mixed reaction at best and Endless Waltz tends to be more popular then Wing making them OO and Wing even closer it just stands out as odd.

Then again OO and Setsuna's hold could very much be a side effect of how AGE tanked and was hated because of art even before release.

Also I do agree that Wing and G would have a more negative reaction had they released today. I however don't think they would have performed much worse. Looking at how the Endless Waltz stuff seems tosale and Bandai are still going with it and we are getting more in the line in a few months leads me to believe EW would still have performed fairly well. TV on the other hand, yeah likely not.
Keep in mind that the ratings represent a percentage of all possible viewers. If there are more possible viewers (due to more households having TV sets) in 2007-2008 than in 1994-1996, the same ratings might still mean more viewers for the 2007-2008 series. But even when we take the numbers at face value, 00 still have higher ratings than either Wing or G.

Of course, being the latest popular series also help. It's not unusual for a company to emphasize its newer offerings over its older offerings, unless those older offerings are somehow still marketable, as in the case of UC.
Old 2012-10-21, 15:25   Link #3486
FalsePrime

That is my point though, OO is not rated that much higher then Wing or G, even less so we we take into account Endless Waltz.

I find the continued Setsuna push to be odd now that they have Links/Unicorn and Kira/Amuro. Either way it doesn't matter, I just find it interesting, much more so then AGE who's most note worthy claim to fame is that it some how passed X as the worst rated series.

Also given what is going on with Endless Waltz it's clear that at least Bandai believes Wing is still marketable. It will be interesting to see what happens on OO's 15th Ann.
Old 2012-10-21, 15:46   Link #3487
monster

Well, we'll see. AGE may yet be looked upon more positively in the future.
Old 2012-10-21, 17:18   Link #3488
FalsePrime

It's certainly possible. X has gained some fans over the years, however it's still a black sheep and it's very unlikely that AGE is able to over come this in any major way and have the majority look at it as anything more then a joke.
Old 2012-10-21, 17:29   Link #3489
monster

Interestingly enough, AGE wasn't cancelled or moved. So that's a good sign over X.
Old 2012-10-21, 17:34   Link #3490
FalsePrime

Haha or one could argue that X's second boost in popularity came from it being canceled and having lines drawn between in and 0079.

Seriously though, if AGE can build up a fanbase, good on it. I will never be apart of it as I do think it's the worst Gundam but I certainly won't have a problem if a miracle happens and it picks up traction.
Old 2012-10-21, 19:27   Link #3491
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

I don't know, I wasn't under the impression that 00 got as much or at least not the same kind of dislike as Age (I was lurking here at the time, and reading blogs/ participating elsewhere). I don't think the general sentiment is comparable...

The big difference being that the reason people got into discussions and/or upset about 00 being positive or negative emotional involvement of some sort- people, even if they were complaining were interested. Somewhat similar to how people got very upset on the topic of Code Geass, but were invested one way or the other. Like it or hate it- or just angry at plot developments.

With Age, most people didn't care at all (hence it being widely ignored as evidenced by the mild participation on here and it being mostly ignored on blogs) and if they did, they only cared about the many things Age did wrong and how boring it was, not about the characters or the story.
Very few people actually stuck with it to the end, with many only marathoning the show to see what happened, because it was just not that interesting or memorable and discussions were similarly bland after a while. Apathy being the key word.

I personally enjoyed 00 with all its flaws and occasional campiness (as I enjoyed CG), and would pick it over Age any day and the same with Wing.
This has to do with the fact that for both of them, I can name a favourite scene, character, suit etc in a heartbeat, whereas for Age.. well, everyone's the same to me, and nothing stood out....
Sadly, that seems to be the case for the majority of viewers. Not sure that would change just because a new show came out, as this kind of transcends typical Gundam-bitching a bit

I know I've been harsh on Age in the past, but honestly, I wish it would've done at least alright, but alas.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 21:32   Link #3492
tetsuo69

i get what falseprime is trying to say but here a question, is 00 gundam that popular in japan to be the center of the last few G generations? i would think unicorn or age would be the center of overworld but no.
Old 2012-11-05, 00:21   Link #3493
solidvanz
Special Operative

Gundam AGE character concept art from Level 5:

Credit to VF-kun for English translation.
Old 2012-11-05, 01:18   Link #3494
galdr

Those are from 4chan, right?

I am pretty sure those translations are joke/made-up.
galdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 01:51   Link #3495
bio9205
Reborn

It says Zeheart Galette [night club]... That's definitely 4chan. Pretty hilarious though, I like some of those clothes.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 06:40   Link #3496
gundamdrawer
Super Pilot

Thank goodness they did not stick to the original character designs.

I realized the reason why Kio sucks as of this moment is because unlike flit and asemu, he doesn't have a badass ally named woolf!
gundamdrawer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 11:42   Link #3497
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Zeta Gundam
-***,*** 08.12.19 ※BD-BOX、1~25
-***,*** 09.01.23 ※BD-BOX、26~50
Zeta Gundam movies Blu-ray BOX
-**3,570 12.05.25
Gundam ZZ
-**1,953 09.09.25 ※BD-BOX、1~24
-**2,132 09.11.25 ※BD-BOX、25~47
Char's Counterattack
-***,*** 08.02.22 ※Blu-ray
-*15,733 11.06.24 ※BD halfprice edition
0083: The Last Blitz of Zeon
-**3,767 11.08.26 ※Blu-ray
F91
-***,*** 08.02.22 ※Blu-ray
-**7,570 11.06.24 ※BD halfprice edition
Endless Waltz Special Edition
-**7,389 11.08.26 ※Blu-ray
08th MS Team Miller's Report
-**2,173 11.08.26 ※Blu-ray
Turn A Gundam Movies
-**3,596 11.07.22 ※Blu-ray
Gundam SEED HD
-*11,737 12.03.23 ※BD average over three boxsets
Gundam 00 Season 01
-**5,032 08.08.22 ※BD average over seven discs
Gundam 00 Season 02
-*11,731 09.02.20 ※BD average over seven discs
Gundam 00 movie
-*79,783 10.12.18 ※BD Limited
-*20,708 10.12.18 ※BD Normal
Gundam Unicorn
-119,196 10.03.12 ※BD average over five discs
Gundam AGE
-**1,588 12.02.10 ※BD average over nine discs

latest sales
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 15:54   Link #3498
monster

Why is Unicorn the only show with a complete number?
Old 2012-11-18, 16:24   Link #3499
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Why is Unicorn the only show with a complete number?
Because its the only one that sold more than 100,000 copies? The * is just a replacement for a 0.
Old 2012-11-18, 16:33   Link #3500
monster

Ah, I see, I thought it stood for undisclosed value.

EDIT: Wait a minute, does that mean Zeta TV series and CCA and F91 full price each sold 0 copy?