AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-03-06, 11:47   Link #2121
Starburst
Horo♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
I've never actually ordered from AmiAmi before, how good are they compared to HLJ? Most of my figures have been from them.
Comparable, but AmiAmi's ordering system is pretty lacking. There's no way that I know of to login and see what you have on order and it's status. You have to rely on the emails they send you.

But they've been good so far. I find them a touch cheaper than HLJ as well, say ¥500 or more? that seems to be what I remember.

I think that difference is lost though in that AmiAmi requires SAL Registered where HLJ will do just plain SAL IIRC.
Old 2010-03-06, 16:33   Link #2122
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
What's the difference between SAL Registered and just SAL? With HLJ, I always go for SAL because its cheaper than EMS.

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 17:48   Link #2123
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Don't know if this has ever been posted in this thread, but I came across it for the first time last night. A series of videos showing the creation of a figure from concept to finished product. Nine parts, scroll down the list to the right to find the rest of them... about a fourth of the way down.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sleepyla...72/W5RpL8UBNWI
Old 2010-03-06, 22:26   Link #2124
Starburst
Horo♥

Quote:
What's the difference between SAL Registered and just SAL? With HLJ, I always go for SAL because its cheaper than EMS.
Registered costs a little more, has insurance and is trackable... to some extent. I believe it gives them confirmation of delivery? I'm not entirely sure on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
Don't know if this has ever been posted in this thread, but I came across it for the first time last night. A series of videos showing the creation of a figure from concept to finished product. Nine parts, scroll down the list to the right to find the rest of them... about a fourth of the way down.

Really quite long, skipped through all 9 parts. But entirely educational even with the whole langugae barrier. Really a neat set of videos, nice find!
Old 2010-03-06, 22:45   Link #2125
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Quote:
SAL registered costs a little more than normal SAL, but has a few advantages, and is still typically cheaper than EMS. Namely, it has insurance up to 6000 JPY, and allows you to track your package (if you're in the US). Has some size restrictions, though: (from AmiAmi's FAQ) Max. parcel weight: 2 kg - Our max. parcel size: L 372mm x L256mm x T210mm

I've ordered from AmiAmi and HLJ a few times. Between the two of them, AmiAmi is certainly cheaper (especially with their current shipping promotion), although the lack of accounts or automated payment system is a little unfortunate. I've never had problems with them, though. I like their packing better than HLJ, too.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 03:43   Link #2126
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
Really quite long, skipped through all 9 parts. But entirely educational even with the whole langugae barrier. Really a neat set of videos, nice find!
Yeah, it's a feature length documentary. I thought it was rather fascinating. It gives me a little more appreciation for my figures, seeing how much work and attention to delicate detail goes into these things.
Old 2010-03-07, 05:02   Link #2127
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat Hedgehog View Post
SAL registered costs a little more than normal SAL, but has a few advantages, and is still typically cheaper than EMS. Namely, it has insurance up to 6000 JPY, and allows you to track your package (if you're in the US). Has some size restrictions, though: (from AmiAmi's FAQ) Max. parcel weight: 2 kg - Our max. parcel size: L 372mm x L256mm x T210mm

I've ordered from AmiAmi and HLJ a few times. Between the two of them, AmiAmi is certainly cheaper (especially with their current shipping promotion), although the lack of accounts or automated payment system is a little unfortunate. I've never had problems with them, though. I like their packing better than HLJ, too.
Interesting... maybe I'll try out AmiAmi next time.
Gotta say, I do prefer HLJ's website layout more though. Its just so much easier to browse through.

Quote:
Yeah, it's a feature length documentary. I thought it was rather fascinating. It gives me a little more appreciation for my figures, seeing how much work and attention to delicate detail goes into these things.
Yeah me too.
Seeing how much work goes into our figures is rather amazing. But the problem now is that the more I appreciate them, the more I get the feeling that these sculpture artists are way underpaid.

I liked it at the beginning of the video, where everyone gathers with their ideas. I'd love to have that job, I'm sure there are loads of us who think "I wish there was a figure of *** character, wearing his/her *** outfit, doing this *** cool post" for their favourite characters

禁則事項です

Last edited by Mecha_Trueno; 2010-03-07 at 05:59.
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 00:29   Link #2128
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:

Awesome. I'll definitely be using this when I get back to figure sculpting again. Thanks.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 21:37   Link #2129
Starburst
Horo♥

Looks like I've got myself a leaner...

Old 2010-03-11, 22:02   Link #2130
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Leaners =

Poor Corti. Such a nice looking figure, too.

Have you ever tried the trick of running scalding tap water over the offending area and then trying to straighten it?

I've got a cheap little figure of Mahoro that came with a DVD art box. She's not bad looking, but was leaning too far forward to begin with, so I tried that around her ankle on the supporting foot. It softened up and was indeed bendable, but after a few days she was back the same.

I decided to try bending her knee just today. Looks like it might hold, but I'll see in few days.

PVC has a stubborn "memory."
Old 2010-03-11, 22:13   Link #2131
Starburst
Horo♥

AmiAmi suggested I use a hair dryer and not water cold or hot as it might damage the paint.

However I've only had Corti a few days, and if she's already leaning... there's going to be little I can do to stop it without putting her back in her box.
Old 2010-03-11, 23:04   Link #2132
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
scalding tap water
Whoaaaa, not scalding. That's about as bad as boiling water.
Ditto on the hairdryer thing - it's a better solution but only do it for a bit. If you aren't into drilling + metal post, then it's back to the box. Drilling is a viable solution for maybe older figures, but you just got Corti.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 01:02   Link #2133
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

What I mean by scalding is just a small stream of straight hot water. Typical water heater setting is 125 F, boiling is 212 F. I've done it several times to that Mahoro figure, trying to get her to stand straight, and no paint has come off.

Hair dryer? I would think dry heat would be worse than wet heat. But then, I'm no physicist. If paint gets damaged from a little water, that's pretty crappy paint. I've washed one of my figures with plain, room temperature water before (some accumulated dust became stuck on it). Nothing happened.

That totally sucks if you just got that figure. Would that be caused by poor PVC mixture?
Old 2010-03-12, 07:16   Link #2134
Revan21

What fict_ticious said,
The only way to fix this is using a metal post, otherwise it will surely lean again in a few days

I tought OrchidSeed is a more reliable manufacturer
Old 2010-03-12, 12:08   Link #2135
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
What fict_ticious said,
The only way to fix this is using a metal post, otherwise it will surely lean again in a few days

Well, mine came in non leaning (thank god) so I'm not sure about the failure percentage, but yeah, I didn't even expect that there'd be leaning problems. Although I doubt Corti will be able to stand upright with that pose they gave her and no extra posture stability tool.
Old 2010-03-12, 14:07   Link #2136
Starburst
Horo♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Well, mine came in non leaning (thank god) so I'm not sure about the failure percentage, but yeah, I didn't even expect that there'd be leaning problems. Although I doubt Corti will be able to stand upright with that pose they gave her and no extra posture stability tool.
Mine came perfect as well. However after displaying her for a short time she started leaning that bad. Short time being under a week but more than a few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
What fict_ticious said,

I may try this idea out, but not today, maybe later when I'm feeling more crafty than I am now.

I too thought Orchid Seed would be reliable, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased a figure posed in such a way. It's definitely a leaner pose, but with a proper base and leg it shouldn't have been a problem. Good Smile Company's Corticarte is fine, I have her as well and have had her for a year on display in the same exact conditions as Orchids. In fact they were side by side.

Quote:
What I mean by scalding is just a small stream of straight hot water. Typical water heater setting is 125 F, boiling is 212 F. I've done it several times to that Mahoro figure, trying to get her to stand straight, and no paint has come off.

Hair dryer? I would think dry heat would be worse than wet heat. But then, I'm no physicist. If paint gets damaged from a little water, that's pretty crappy paint. I've washed one of my figures with plain, room temperature water before (some accumulated dust became stuck on it). Nothing happened.

That totally sucks if you just got that figure. Would that be caused by poor PVC mixture?
I assumed you just meant hot water from the tap. But AmiAmi I suppose was being on the cautious side, as minerals in water differ everywhere and could perhaps damage a figure as well.

The dry heat seemed like a better option, as it's not going to run paint off the figure like water might, nor leave other substances there that could be in your water. Mine for example has a lot of lime and iron in it.

I think what caused this is likely the use of PVC at all on Corti's leg. PVC is a very soft plastic, often used on cords for lights etc... Those IKEA lights I have for my cabinets for example have PVC wire coating. Orchid Seed should have used a different type of plastic such as ABS, which I believe is on most figures these days with poses like this. It's more brittle, but less prone to lean without high temperatures.

It's my opinion that Orchid Seed cheaped out on their process. But I have only 2 points of data so far, my account, as well as kernel1024's on MFC. It's impossible to judge an entire run on only 2 points of data, that's not a trend, it's just a line. So it could be the rest are fine and I just got unlucky.
Old 2010-03-12, 15:06   Link #2137
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
But AmiAmi I suppose was being on the cautious side, as minerals in water differ everywhere and could perhaps damage a figure as well.
I see what you mean. I didn't think about what mineral levels might be in different areas. The water where I live is quite good... Northwestern U.S. But that is something to take into consideration.

I was a little concerned about my Golden Darkness figure when I got her eight months ago, this one...

But she's holding up just fine.
Old 2010-03-12, 15:15   Link #2138
Starburst
Horo♥

I have that figure as well. Mine also is fine, she's constructed out of both PVC and ABS. Feel her hair for example, it doesn't flex like PVC would, it's much more rigid. IIRC her right leg (supporting leg) is also ABS, making her quite stable. Good Smile Company seems to be pretty on top of things when it comes to that.

Which is why I feel comfortable buying Canaan and Alphard.
Old 2010-03-12, 16:25   Link #2139
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Damn you, Starburst!

Those are some very cool looking figures. My obsessive compulsion is rearing it's ugly head.

*runs off to download Canaan*
No, I haven't seen it yet.

So, even if figures contain ABS, they're still classified as PVC?
Old 2010-03-12, 21:56   Link #2140
Xion Valkyrie

I really wanted that Canaan figure >.>
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote