AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-12-28, 18:13   Link #1
ShadowX114
is my nickname

Slow startup

ok I made a search and found one similiar problem but I did what people mentionned in there but it didn't work with me.

My problem is, when the pc goes into the windows, I have to wait for around 1minute so it can respond to my commands. When I double click on the Connect icon, nothing happens until this minute passes then it connects to the internet. When I go to My Computer, it opens but it keeps showing the flash light animation until this one minute passes.

I had a similar problem a really long ago but the problem was because of the networking. My PC was connected to another pc but i played with the settings so after each startup, it was trying to connect to the other pc and thats why it wasn't responding to my commands. But now, none of the pcs recgonize the other because I formatted both of them.

When this problem first happened(last week) i thought it was because of my printer. Because after I formated the pc, I installed the printer using the CD that it came with it. but in every startup, after the 1 minute, the yellow baloon message apears from the systray by saying that windows discovered a new hardware which is called Lexmark, its weird because like I said, I already installed it with the cd. I tried to do solve it in a couple of ways but nothing worked. So I decided to unplug the printer wire from the pc to see if this is the reason why the pc lags but I realized that its not because its still freezes except that the yellow baloon dosn't show up anymore.

I scanned my pc for spywares with Spybot, spySweeper and ad-aware but it didnt solve the problem.

So anyone knows what might be problem? Thanks
ShadowX114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 20:03   Link #2
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Try these.

1. Unplug USB devices other than keyboard and mouse. Unplug network. Reboot. Does it hang? If no, it's probably a USB conflict. Plug in one by one to determine which is causing the problem. Most common USB issue is a USB hub that has gone bad or cannot supply enough power (e.g. too many usb devices).

2. System
2a. Run system Restore ( Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore)
Go back to the system state before you install the printer.
2b. IF you do not know or have installed apps after that and you do not want to break it...
--> Make sure you have your XP cd handy.
--> Start | Run | SFC /SCANNOW

This will check your system fiiles to see if one was corrupted.

Run hijackthis app and post the log here. It may be a system/software file that is causing it.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-28, 23:10   Link #3
ShadowX114
is my nickname

ok I only tried your first step but i guess it showed up the problem.
I only have the keyboard and the mouse as USBs but I did unplug the network and it turned out to be the problem. Heres what happened:

I unplugged the network and restarted the pc. Everything ran perfecrtly at startup except connecting to the internet of course. When I go to My Computer, it goes normally, the flash light icon animation didn't appear.
So I re-plugged the network plug and restarted the pc once more. and the problem of 1min lag came back.

Now the 1 minute lag problem started after I received my computer from repairs. I had a problem with my old motherboard so I had to replace it with a newer one. So I sent it for repairs, It got replaced by another one but this new one has a network card built-in. So the man who repaired it, removed my old network card by telling me that the built-in should be faster. So the problem was born after the motherboard replacement. And I think the problem is because of the following reason:

After I re-plugged the network plug and restarted my pc, after the 1min freeze, the following baloon pops-up:
http://img151.exs.cx/img151/1686/LAC2balloon.jpg

When I click on it, the following window shows up:
http://img151.exs.cx/img151/1477/LAC2window.jpg

Then I get the following error message when I click on "Repair":
http://img151.exs.cx/img151/9563/LAC2problem.jpg

When I go to My Network Places,
http://img151.exs.cx/img151/2867/networkconnection.jpg

The device Marvell Yukon, wasn't there before I sent it to repairs but there was a D-LINK device. But the D-link is the network card that has been removed so i guess the Marvell yukon is the network card that is built-inside the motherboard.

I hope I dont have to contact the one who repairded cuz he pisses me off...he keeps saying that its my fault which is not.... so i dont want to mention it to him unless if I have no other choice...
Old 2004-12-29, 02:30   Link #4
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Ok. I see where the problem is. Your ISP is on autodial using the WAN MiniPort PPPoE.

You are using Sympactico Access Manger.

Try this Solution:
1. Go to the control panel | admin tools
2. Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Long story short, you are using a PPPoE dialer. Windows tires to dial in and during the dialin process, it is waiting for the connection to establish. It times out in 90sec and continues on. by disabling the service, it allows you to continue to work while it tries to connect later.

If it does not work, get a linksys router or d-link router and connect it between your system and the router. Let the router establish the connection for you.

If this issue continues, I would recommend contacting your ISP and having them check into the problem. BTW, it sounds like an issue with their network issuing the PPPoE registration to you.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 15:01   Link #5
ShadowX114
is my nickname

darn, the first method didn't work. I even tried to set it on "Automatic" for fun but it also didn't make a change.

I don't have a router but I do have a hub, will it work or do I really need a router?
When you say contacting my ISP, do you mean Sympatico?
Old 2004-12-29, 16:47   Link #6
Yuiichi
Retired.

ISP is Internet Service Provider (just incase you didn't know). Sympatico would be your ISP.

Considering that your problems are internet/network related, yes, contact Sympatico. Also, i think your hub would be fine, if it works in other cases. Might want to get a second opinion on that.

Sorry that i can't be of more help.
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote