AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2005-01-03, 22:00   Link #81
Marino Nikku
Not quite 31337

Hey All...

I've just started reading Love Hina, despite the best efforts of my friends.

Anyways, I've noticed some problems (I think)... First of all, I went to two different stores and found that the same volume of LH (vol. 2) has 2 different ratings... one is rated T, the other OT... I only have one copy of that vol, though, so I can't compare the two. (And no, I'm not gonna buy another... at $10 ea., I can barely afford one of each.) So, what's the difference... and does it change the story at all? Also, is there anywere I can obtain copies of LH in japanese? I've been taking a japanese course and they reccomend reading manga to build dialouge skills... Of course, what would be best is japanese w/ english overlays so I can check myself, but... well, tokyopop is pretty good at taking down scanlations.

But, beside that, it's an awesome series... and the translation is much better than stuff that Viz and Funi have put out...

~Nikku
Old 2005-01-03, 22:58   Link #82
音楽は死んだ
Boobies² = Fun

Send a message via Yahoo to 音楽は死んだ
haha, Love Hina, I just noticed this thread and it was the same time I had come across some old colourings I did when it was being scansalated. I wanted to colour it all! Hope its not againts the rules to post this kind of thing....

Couple of walls I made....

Naru in a dress type thing

A bit of Naru fanservice

And a large spoiler for the manga, if you havent read it all please dont look!

And yes I know the Thumbnails are screwed up, lol. The links still work.
Old 2005-01-05, 14:05   Link #83
Earnibble

Send a message via AIM to Earnibble
Love Hina was the first anime I ever got into. I have all the DVDs except Vol. 1 and the spring and winter specials. I have a couple of the manga too.
Naru gets on my nerves a bit, always punching Keitaro in the face! He's so innocent. Kitsune is my favorite character in the manga and anime. She's hilarious. Especially with that accent.
Old 2005-12-21, 11:09   Link #84
dempa21
Breeder of Manga

Send a message via MSN to dempa21
my favorite is shinobu...so smart and cute :P i have all the specials HAHA! lol....then i have love hina again and dvd number 3.
Old 2006-01-21, 08:44   Link #85
DjShine

Send a message via MSN to DjShine
Love Hina

I think Love Hina is an amazing comedy Manga, apparantely it was voted best manga 2003 and i defo know why.

Any other ppl here like it or like ne of Ken Akamatsu's work such as AI Love you? I liked AI Love you as well.
Old 2006-01-22, 13:31   Link #86
megasonic01

Love Hina is definetly a really good manga series. Could use a bit of originality though.

Last edited by megasonic01; 2006-08-05 at 18:20.
Old 2006-01-22, 15:18   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The manga series is pretty good --- its almost prehistoric now but it should be read by anyone interested in manga as kind of a classic. My complaints center around the buffet-style mess of the climaxes (e.g. I like Kaolla Su but her gadgetry really distracts and Keitaro's sister really diverted the storyline). Frankly, the resolution seems forced -- in the real world I think Keitaro would have ended up with someone else ... even the girl he chooses makes a remark as to who that would have been late in the story.
Massive spoiler for those who haven't read ...
Spoiler:

Ken A. seems to have a talent for setting story premises, defining wonderful characters (LH, Negima) but has a bit of trouble with his execution. He appears to pick the girl right up front and then forces the story to that conclusion WHETHER OR NOT it makes sense for the characters as they develop. Anyone who writes will tell you that sometimes the characters have their own ideas about where things should go and the author should "listen" to them.
Old 2006-01-22, 16:38   Link #88
nite0

Resolution seems forced? I didn't see this as a harem at all. Keitaro had his mind set on Naru and it was really only an issue of how they would end up together not 'if' they would end up together. Motoko's 'development' came pretty late anyway, she never had a chance.
Old 2006-01-22, 19:08   Link #89
DjShine

Send a message via MSN to DjShine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
I haven't read any fan translations for it but i own all the tokyopop volumes and even if they did make changes to it, its still great.
I agree, i loved the whole tokyopop series and i also loved the anime, tho not many ppl favoured it. I thought altogether it was great
Old 2006-02-02, 21:20   Link #90
jedinat

Love Hina

I finally got around to reading this... why does everyone love it so much? From looking around forums and such this has to be one of the most popular manga around.

I read 9 volumes or so (first 8 and then skimmed through to the last volume). I didn't laugh once; didn't even crack a smile. It wasn't funny... and if you take away the funny from a comedy you get tedium.

Another problem with it is the inconsistent characters. Keitaro, an idiot, will all of the sudden act composed and normal for seemingly no reason, then go back to being an idiot whenever it's convenient (not to mention his feelings for Naru seem to fluctuate randomly between "loving" her and liking her just because she's there). There's also Naru's inconsistency of all of the sudden becoming "girly" for no apparent reason. (not to mention the fact that she's probably the easiest girl in the world to get if Keitaro would just stop being an idiot for 3 seconds)

These annoyances coupled with the ridiculously dragged out "promised girl" identity issue makes for a really bad manga imho.

Sorry, just felt a need to rant a bit...
Old 2006-02-03, 00:06   Link #91
Firestorm10
One Shot of the Awesome

I liked it because they do the most idiotic things.
Old 2006-02-03, 00:12   Link #92
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Really? I normally don't laugh at anything (I find almost all comedy exceptionally overrated), but I thought it was one of the funniest things I'd ever read. As a matter of fact, it started a spurt of me checking out a lot of other comedy manga stuff to see if I thought it was all funny. However, I don't know that it's a master of consistency in characterization or anything.

I think, like drama, comedy is hard to pigeonhole. It depends a lot on personality and life experiences. There are a lot of things that I realize are funny; however, they never cause me to smile or laugh. My son thinks Azumanga Daioh is the funniest thing ever, but it only rarely makes me smile (the only moment I can really think of is when Chiyo is afraid to get back in Nyamo's car). I know it's funny, but it doesn't cause any real humor reaction in me. Similarly my wife thinks Fruit Basket is hysterical, but the only part that I found to be that way was when Tohru grabbed the bun instead of Yuki and squished the bean paste out.
So I guess I'd have to say that like most subjective things, it's just a matter of taste.
Old 2006-02-03, 01:17   Link #93
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
So I guess I'd have to say that like most subjective things, it's just a matter of taste.
Yeah, I realize that. The humor in Hina seemed to soley consist of Keitaro unintentionally doing something perverted and then getting beat to a pulp. Something I just don't see as funny.

I actually thought Azumanga was hilarious (My Favorite Moment is when Chiyo-chan makes a first year call her sempai on the stairs). As for manga, the funniest I've read has to be Yotsubato! (which also happens to be by the creator of Azumanga - very similar humor)

Seems that Azumanga and Love Hina are on the opposite ends of the humor spectrum.

~edit~
To be honest, the reason why I probably don't like Love Hina so much is that it does have some good moments and I really did want to like it (which the only reason I stuck with it for 8 volumes). My favorite aspect of any anime/manga is the romance and the mangaka repeatedly screwed it over time and again.

Last edited by jedinat; 2006-02-03 at 01:39.
Old 2006-02-03, 01:39   Link #94
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You also have to look at when it was written. Love Hina is almost prehistoric by the lifespan of some fans ... I was a fan of Motoko and her growth as a character - and Shinobu had her moments (as well as Haruka) but the "main story" was just annoying much of the time. But it happened to be the first manga I'd ever read that wasn't full of loud shouting, fighting, and pocket monsters (holy shit.. they do *romance* in these things?).

This is speculation on my part but I think the harem manga (and anime) derives directly from an old Jerry Lewis movie put out in 1961 where he's the ... get this ... caretaker of a women's boarding house. He's Jerry Lewis, of course (keitaro resemblence anyone?) and the women all have wide variance in personalities including the mysterious spider woman whose room is some kind of dimensional box....
If you can find it, its worth a watch for the historical value (I think its called The Ladies' Man). Bet its hard to guess which girl he ends up with ... ... ...

Love Hina is a "classic" in that it pulled together many of the motifs common to the genre today ... but Moby Dick, A Tale of Two Cities, and the Faerie Queen are classics, too ya know?

I'm a hardcore Motoko Aoyama fan but I recognize the shortcomings of the manga .... the same voice actress (Asakawa Yuu) also voiced my favorite character in Azumanga Daioh (Sakaki). The manga is stellar from front to back in AD.... I rate it almost as highly as I rate Calvin and Hobbes (which I compare it to often). I've had other people recommend Yotsubato! and I'm on the lookout for that.
Old 2006-02-03, 01:47   Link #95
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
Yeah, I realize that. The humor in Hina seemed to soley consist of Keitaro unintentionally doing something perverted and then getting beat to a pulp. Something I just don't see as funny.
Well, no, there's other humor involved as well, but you're right, that does define a good portion of it. I think the humorous part of it is not so much what happens as how it gets there. Kind of like the third room in the movie Four Rooms, the final shot isn't the funny part, it's all of the little steps that lead up to that final shot ... each one makes sense (sort of) as it's happening, but at the end you still end up with a bellboy holding a dead hooker getting stabbed with a used drug needle in the leg by two kids while pr0n is playing on the tv in the background.
Quote:
I actually thought Azumanga was hilarious (My Favorite Moment is when Chiyo-chan makes a first year call her sempai on the stairs). As for manga, the funniest I've read has to be Yotsubato! (which also happens to be by the creator of Azumanga - very similar humor)
I've been meaning to check out Yotsubato! except that ADV has such a spotty record at actually finishing manga series they've licensed. Like I said, I see how Azumanga is funny (I'm not retarded), but it never made me laugh out loud or anything. If I had to categorize it, I'd say it's cute more than funny. Personally I think the funniest anime I've seen would be either Happy Lesson, Pani Poni Dash, or Fumoffu. Genshiken or Love Hina would probably be the funniest of the mangas (I just realized while looking at my collection that apparently I do comedy manga even less than I thought).
Quote:
Seems that Azumanga and Love Hina are on the opposite ends of the humor spectrum.
Not really, my wife thinks both are very funny. Like I said, not all people are the same. I'm sure most people who find Love Hina funny probably also find Azumanga funny, but in a world of billions, some people are going to like one and not the other. And that's okay, 'cause if we were all alike, there wouldn't be anything to talk about on the internet!
Quote:
~edit~
To be honest, the reason why I probably don't like Love Hina so much is that it does have some good moments and I really did want to like it (which the only reason I stuck with it for 8 volumes). But my favorite aspect of any anime/manga is the romance and the mangaka repeatedly screwed it over time and again.
Now that I totally agree with. The only remotely romantic aspect of the entire series (for me) is at the very end (but before the wedding) and when Naru finally admits she loves Keitaro. So basically two to three chapters out of 140+. I think there might be as many "awwww" moments in Full Metal Panic Overload as in Love Hina ...

EDIT: I should also clarify that I DO find Azumanga Daioh funny (and Fruits Basket as well), it's just that neither has ever made me laugh out loud. Love Hina has done that.

Last edited by rooboy; 2006-02-03 at 02:00.
Old 2006-02-03, 01:53   Link #96
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Love Hina is a "classic" in that it pulled together many of the motifs common to the genre today ... but Moby Dick, A Tale of Two Cities, and the Faerie Queen are classics, too ya know?
I guess that makes me the loser, I like both Moby Dick and a Tale of Two Cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'm a hardcore Motoko Aoyama fan but I recognize the shortcomings of the manga .... the same voice actress (Asakawa Yuu) also voiced my favorite character in Azumanga Daioh (Sakaki). The manga is stellar from front to back in AD.... I rate it almost as highly as I rate Calvin and Hobbes (which I compare it to often). I've had other people recommend Yotsubato! and I'm on the lookout for that.
I've heard that the AD manga is superior to the anime, and a lot of people I trust have told me that Yotsubato! is superior to both. So I'm thinking about going straight to that, and if it makes me laugh then trying AD the manga. The Calvin and Hobbes comparison is interesting, as that's another thing where intellectually I know it's funny, but its never made me laugh out loud or anything.
Old 2006-02-03, 02:38   Link #97
jedinat

Quote:
I've been meaning to check out Yotsubato! except that ADV has such a spotty record at actually finishing manga series they've licensed. Like I said, I see how Azumanga is funny (I'm not retarded), but it never made me laugh out loud or anything. If I had to categorize it, I'd say it's cute more than funny. Personally I think the funniest anime I've seen would be either Happy Lesson, Pani Poni Dash, or Fumoffu. Genshiken or Love Hina would probably be the funniest of the mangas (I just realized while looking at my collection that apparently I do comedy manga even less than I thought).
Ehh, we do have some different tastes. I thought happy lesson was kinda interesting, but not very funny (I didn't stop watching, at least), and it never went where I wanted it to go until the very end of the last OVA. The few episodes I saw of Pani Poni Dash were incredibly not funny (except for all the students other than the main chars having the same face... that made me chuckle for a moment). Fumoffu's humor was kinda funny when it was found in the original FMP, but stale already when fumoffu came out.

The most hilarious anime I've seen is Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu. More specifically, episode 4. The funniest episode of all time.

I actually don't laugh all that often even when I do think something is funny. Which is a good thing, because the 3 or 4 times I really, really laughed this past year it felt like someone had stabbed me in the chest and I couldn't breath. I wonder if something is wrong with me, cuz it really hurt.

Quote:

Not really, my wife thinks both are very funny. Like I said, not all people are the same. I'm sure most people who find Love Hina funny probably also find Azumanga funny, but in a world of billions, some people are going to like one and not the other. And that's okay, 'cause if we were all alike, there wouldn't be anything to talk about on the internet!
Yes, yes... but everything would be simpler if they all realized I was right.
Old 2006-02-03, 03:17   Link #98
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

like vexx said, love hina has more of a cult status.

u have to understand back when it was first out it set a standard, so to speak, on harem type animes where the male is abused.

this was way before chobits, maburaho, etc etc.

although none of the jokes make you burst out laughing, its more of a little smile that comes to your face. the story does make progression and somewhat has a goal.

but your right, i also think it only deserves a B+ rating.
Old 2006-02-03, 23:53   Link #99
ZhangKhaiEn
張凱恩

I see LH as a good spring board for Akamatsu Ken.

From LH to Negima

1. His artwork has improved
2. His sense of humor has improved
3. His action scenes have improved
4. His wallet-fattening techniques have GREATLY improved >_>
Old 2006-02-06, 19:02   Link #100
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, LH->Negima is great Truth I guess (especially item 4)

And.. there's many different kinds of "funny" - I'm one of those odd people that like the Marx Brothers, the Three Stooges, Douglas Adams, Monty Python, Futurama, etc... all very different forms of humor.
AD reminds me of Calvin & Hobbes because it is often a humorous exploration of philosophy and reality --- how people perceive and interact with the world around them. None of the characters are disrespected regardless of their character flaws.
This isn't gutwrenching haha ... but it brings a long enduring smile (though I have to admit I burst out laughing when Chiyo does her first "class rep" introduction speech). I have both the AD manga and anime ... they're both very well done -- the only other property I can think of where I like the anime and the manga equally well is Mahoraba: Heartful Days.

Sorry, roo... was just pointing out that "classics" should be rated within the context of the time in which they were written. I happen to love Moby Dick
I love Jules Verne and HG Wells also but most moderns find them nearly unreadable.

The only thing that sustains Love Hina for me anymore are the arcs with Motoko and watching her develop as a character (which she actually does throughout the books if one pays attention). Keitaro's conversion is way too sudden (though not really unrealistic... I've known a lot of people who go off on an adventure and come back very changed). Most of the other characters hardly change at all (except Shinobu perhaps and Haruka resolves some issues ).

Tags
comedy, harem