AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

Old 2011-12-18, 12:51   Link #121
ImagineThat
Cant think of one Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Black Butler anime is by Okada

I'm optimistic because normaly the guy seems to be involved in a lot of anime originals with no source material,but he's got one here so as long as he sticks to it I figure things should be all right.
I was going by Wiki/MAL on that, i'm not sure if he wrote the screenplay for the entire series or just several of the anime original episodes that featured in that series.

I do hope this turns out great aswell as you said he works more on original works than adaptations. To be fair to him aswell, the characters that i've seen so far don't seem to be that great anyway. Except for Kuroyukihime, the others (Arita, his two friends and the bully) are not really note worthy so there's not much to "ruin" in that department.

I've only read up to the 5th chapter of the manga as i dont want to spoil the anime for myself so im sure there have been developments and other interesting characters introduced in the novel. If that isn't the case then i do hope this series is going to be more plot and action driven than character.
ImagineThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 13:10   Link #122
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I first heard of Accel World just yesterday when I checked AnimeNation's bulletin board news, and I already saw the first trailer.

The title seems promising, and I researched there's some manga adaptations as well as the source light novel, which prompts me to go and start reading the manga, BTW.

However, I cannot understand a few fans out there labeling this upcoming anime as Sunrise response to I.G. Guilty Crown.

The genres can be similar, but the themes are entirely diferent.

They're drawing comparisons just because the seiyuu who voices the lead male in Guilty Crown will also be voicing the lead male character in this show.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 23:11   Link #123
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
I first heard of Accel World just yesterday when I checked AnimeNation's bulletin board news, and I already saw the first trailer.

The title seems promising, and I researched there's some manga adaptations as well as the source light novel, which prompts me to go and start reading the manga, BTW.

However, I cannot understand a few fans out there labeling this upcoming anime as Sunrise response to I.G. Guilty Crown.

The genres can be similar, but the themes are entirely diferent.

They're drawing comparisons just because the seiyuu who voices the lead male in Guilty Crown will also be voicing the lead male character in this show.
Well the show also has the same writer, which I think is where a lot of that is coming from, but I don't see it as an answer to Guilty Crown at all since it doesn't seem to have much in common with that show. However I do highly question Sunrise's choice of Hiroyuki Yoshino to do the scripts just based on the fact that he seems to be some kind of anti-script writer and almost seems to go out of his way to churn out some of the worst tripe in plotting, irritating characters that almost seem to regress as shows go on, and awkwardly paced episodes you'll see outside of one shot 80's OVAs. In this regard it could end up very comparable to Guilty Crown if he does what he usually does with this show.

Right now, while the material sounds quite interesting by light novel standards, with Yoshino at the helm I expect a LOT of cheesecake shots when it comes to how the females are portrayed, the male lead to be insufferable and difficult to relate to, confusing character behavior brought about by lack of defined traits, goals and back stories, pacing that doesn't necessarily put the stability of the plot first, and first and foremost rule of cool before everything else. I really hope I'm wrong about this since it honestly does look interesting and Sunrise shows are almost always hit with me, but this is how pretty much everything I've seen by him has ended up and it's kind of his last chance to redeem himself. If this ends up like his other works I'll be forced to come to the conclusion that Yoshino writing for a show is an instant death sentence for said show and just never watch anything he's involved with ever again.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 00:09   Link #124
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Right now, while the material sounds quite interesting by light novel standards, with Yoshino at the helm I expect a LOT of cheesecake shots when it comes to how the females are portrayed, the male lead to be insufferable and difficult to relate to, confusing character behavior brought about by lack of defined traits, goals and back stories, pacing that doesn't necessarily put the stability of the plot first, and first and foremost rule of cool before everything else.
Expect it: both Shu and Haruyuki angst like there is no tomorrow.
Spoiler for Haruyuki:
With your post at GC, I kinda get you hate angsty kids.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 00:09   Link #125
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

So Hiroyuki Yoshino = DEEN of anime series scriptwriting? Welp, do not want.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 00:43   Link #126
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Right now, while the material sounds quite interesting by light novel standards, with Yoshino at the helm I expect a LOT of cheesecake shots when it comes to how the females are portrayed, the male lead to be insufferable and difficult to relate to, confusing character behavior brought about by lack of defined traits, goals and back stories, pacing that doesn't necessarily put the stability of the plot first, and first and foremost rule of cool before everything else. I really hope I'm wrong about this since it honestly does look interesting and Sunrise shows are almost always hit with me, but this is how pretty much everything I've seen by him has ended up and it's kind of his last chance to redeem himself. If this ends up like his other works I'll be forced to come to the conclusion that Yoshino writing for a show is an instant death sentence for said show and just never watch anything he's involved with ever again.
You made me worry about this show already, man.
Old 2011-12-19, 00:46   Link #127
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Expect it: both Shu and Haruyuki angst like there is no tomorrow.
Spoiler for Haruyuki:
With your post at GC, I kinda get you hate angsty kids.
Naw I don't hate angsty kids, I just don't care for it when it's all they do and Hiroyuki Yoshino seems to have a bizarre fetish for making the worst out of them character wise. That's all really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
So Hiroyuki Yoshino = DEEN of anime series scriptwriting? Welp, do not want.
Watch a few episodes of anything he's ever done and you tell me. I'd personally recommend Guilty Crown which is currently airing or Seikon no Qwaser.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 00:51   Link #128
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^
I watched Seikon no Qwaser.
I read Seikon no Qwaser.
He destroyed Seikon no Qwaser. ;_;
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 01:00   Link #129
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
^
I read Seikon no Qwaser.
I dunno: I kinda partly liked the first season... But I did hated the second one since it deviates from the manga.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 03:46   Link #130
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
^
I read Seikon no Qwaser.
He didn't destroy it since he's the original manga writer it's someone else who wrote the anime adaptation.

Again,the guy has done a lot of original material and not a lot of adaptations,and the only adaptations he's done have lots of anime original content in it (like dance in the vampire bud for exemple)
So i don't know,maybe seeing him involved in this means they plan on not really following the manga or he'll really follow the manga in which case I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt
Old 2011-12-19, 04:09   Link #131
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

If Hiroyuki Yoshino will appears in a Deen anime, then what are you doing that I'm saying ?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2011-12-19 at 04:11. Reason: Correcting my mistakes
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 04:44   Link #132
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

"Destroyed" Seikon no Qwaser? Pretty hard to destroy something that's already bad.
Old 2011-12-19, 07:56   Link #133
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
"Destroyed" Seikon no Qwaser? Pretty hard to destroy something that's already bad.
He hasn't destroyed Qwaser, since he is the original creator of the manga. It's Uezu who destroyed the anime adaptation.
MyAnimeList
Old 2011-12-19, 08:45   Link #134
tsunade666

I think he meant that it's already destroyed before it's even claimed to be destroyed when they do original stuff in season 2. Well season 1 is at least watchable for me but S2 really hit the bomb that I didn't even manage to watch it for long.
Old 2011-12-19, 11:20   Link #135
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I think he meant that it's already destroyed before it's even claimed to be destroyed when they do original stuff in season 2. Well season 1 is at least watchable for me but S2 really hit the bomb that I didn't even manage to watch it for long.
If I remember correctly, the only interesting parts of season 2 is the girls' technological academy arc and the final episode (which are slightly faithful to the manga), while the rest (full of original material) sounds pretty silly. Season 1 is my favorite all the times, but I was dissapointed by how bad and unfaithful the second season was.
MyAnimeList
Old 2011-12-19, 14:45   Link #136
Undertaker

Wow, how the hell did Hiroyuki Yoshino got this much hate?

He got blamed for Seikon no Qwaser anime when he is the original creator of manga? not to mention the anime script was handled by Uezu as MisaoFan stated.

And there are others that that pin him with SEED, Destiny, and Black Butler when he is only one of the 5-6 writer in a teamled by others and only thing he involved was the script of a few episodes at most who hardly have anything to do with the pacing. Not to mention SEED and Black Butler are generally well-received and were commercial success.

If anyone is going to judge his ability, judge him with series where he is at least the chief/main writer or a co-lead writer (composition), not on series where he was only involved in a handful of episodes.

Anyway, the series where he actually have control of consist of Mai-HiME, Mai-Otome, Code Geass, R2, Macross Frontier, Denpa teki na Kanojo, So Ra No Wo To[Sound of the Sky], Dance in the Vampire Bund, and Guilty Crown.

There are easily more good series than bad, and more commercial success than failures. His track record is better than most. Is that really the best you can hopeful?

Sure, there a few misfires but nobody is perfect. Even George Lucas and Steven Spielberg screws up here and there.
Old 2011-12-19, 17:10   Link #137
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I know that Uezu is responsible for the anime's script and that Yoshino is the original creator...

My point was that I find Seikon no Qwaser to be bad ALL-AROUND. Bad manga, bad anime. Can't "destroy" something that was awful to start with. Good adaptions of bad source material are few in existence. But don't chew me out for that, it's just my opinion. It's totally fine if others don't agree.

However, does that mean I am repulsed by the sight of Yoshino's name in a staff list because he did ONE thing (a manga at that, not it's anime adaption) I dislike? Absolutely not. I actually like a handful of anime he has been a part of (that or there are some anime I haven't seen that he had a hand in that I know are generally seen by most anime lovers as "good", and I agree without even ever have seen them/only seeing clips of them).

As Undertaker said, his track record is indeed better than most. He's not perfect, no, but he's not the absolute worst, either. Just be thankful that the series composition isn't being handled by someone worse. Like... Well, I'm sure there's a plethora of examples.

Last edited by Kismet-chan; 2011-12-19 at 17:26.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 18:28   Link #138
Undertaker

Exactly, like I said, his track record is fairly impressive. Looking at current anime writers who are active right how, he's definitely in the top 10 if not top 5.

BTW, Kismet-chan, my Seikon no Qwaser rant wasn't direct at you but at other who was ranting about how Yoshino ruined the manga with anime adaption, which was pretty ridiculous. Though with that being said, I personally like the manga, it wasn't great, but as a echi seinen title, it is fairly enjoyable and above average, but like you said that's personal opinion just like I never like Black Butler manga nor the anime despise the success it enjoyed.
Old 2011-12-19, 20:31   Link #139
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
BTW, Kismet-chan, my Seikon no Qwaser rant wasn't direct at you but at other who was ranting about how Yoshino ruined the manga with anime adaption, which was pretty ridiculous.
I know it wasn't, dun worry ur fine. The first part of my post was actually responding to what MisaoFan and tsunade666 said.
Old 2011-12-19, 20:35   Link #140
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
My point was that I find Seikon no Qwaser to be bad ALL-AROUND. Bad manga, bad anime. Can't "destroy" something that was awful to start with. Good adaptions of bad source material are few in existence. But don't chew me out for that, it's just my opinion. It's totally fine if others don't agree.

However, does that mean I am repulsed by the sight of Yoshino's name in a staff list because he did ONE thing (a manga at that, not it's anime adaption) I dislike? Absolutely not. I actually like a handful of anime he has been a part of (that or there are some anime I haven't seen that he had a hand in that I know are generally seen by most anime lovers as "good", and I agree without even ever have seen them/only seeing clips of them).
I liked the anime versions of mai hime and mai otome slightly better than the extremely fanservice manga version. And those 2 were also directed by Yoshino
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, cyberpunk, harem, sci-fi, shounen