AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-29, 13:23   Link #32421
willx
Nyaaan~~

Oh, the China-Japanese-U.S.-RestofAsia tensions that'll only end after decade after decade of diplomacy, reconciliation and perhaps border skirmishes and international incidents. At least the French and Germans get along now!

Russia train station bombing kills at least 16 as Olympics near

Dozens wounded after female suicide bomber attacks in city of Volgograd

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-...near-1.2478303
Old 2013-12-29, 13:40   Link #32422
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Oh, the China-Japanese-U.S.-RestofAsia tensions that'll only end after decade after decade of diplomacy, reconciliation and perhaps border skirmishes and international incidents. At least the French and Germans get along now!

There are people down in America's dixie area still BLAME "Yanks" for invading the confederacy America and Sherman's scorch warfare. I got a earful when I was down there last time. Grudges do last, all it take is one or two little incident to re-flash it.

But like I said, at least China and South Korea show restraint when it come to International incidents, as opposed to Japan with a single soldier missing...

Oh,

Don't we just love how olympics bring the best out of us?
Old 2013-12-29, 15:40   Link #32423
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Every Japanese I know and ever heard from thinks WW2 was a huge mistake and should never have happened. This never changed.
It's strange that I still remember that guy who's believed to be japanese based on his screen name, who "defended" the Britannia's invasions and killings back in the Code Geass thread, and you were also there arguing against him.

Just in case: I do not bring this up to imply Japanese are worse people than others. Whether that guy's sincere or trolls, every country has a few nuts.

Quote:
But if people don't want to start WW3 then maybe they should be the ones to not ratcheting up tensions.
On that note, I find it intriguing that US and Singapore both voiced disappointment at Abe's visit to the shrine, especially US. That certainly won't discourage China from continuing their complain any time soon.

Last edited by maplehurry; 2013-12-29 at 16:50.
Old 2013-12-29, 18:15   Link #32424
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Screw implications. Going to the shrine implies nothing. Until Japan decided to declare they are starting their war machines again and that they never regretted the war, I don't care what anyone can dream about "implications" for visiting a shrine. Every Japanese I know and ever heard from thinks WW2 was a huge mistake and should never have happened. This never changed. All the arguments about war dead is just a way to keep the hatred brewing for the people who are already long dead.

If you want the shrine gone, tell whatever your country's leader to start an invasion and remove the shrine by force.
That's the only way, because the shrine is legal and you know it. And if it is legal to exist people are legal to visit it. But if people don't want to start WW3 then maybe they should be the ones to not ratcheting up tensions.

Edit: You know why this presses my buttons? Back in Taiwan I was being brainwashed by the then government as a child to believe the Japanese and Mainland Chinese are demons in human skin. That was not a pleasant primary school experience. And yet here we have Supporters of China saying that the Chinese aren't evil, but that I should keep believing that the Japanese are demons.

I have been there, I have seen the cultural brainwashing to breed hate towards others, and I see that it was all lies. No one can try to lie to me again.
+1

Nice input. If my own government bred hatred towards a particular group of people, I would be mad as well. I also hate tossers who keep dwelling about the past when the vast majority of people who might be old enough to be involved in a number of bad things are already dead if not dying. Grow the hell up and look forward indeed.

When anybody thinks that Britain and Ireland managed to get things going despite centuries of maltreatment, abuse and other bad things committed by the English/Brits towards Ireland from many centuries ago up to end of The Troubles in 1998, at least 3 countries in the Far East really need to learn what Ireland did instead of going down the same path as Taiwan in terms of fostering hatred against the former colonizer.
Old 2013-12-29, 18:59   Link #32425
Dop
Mmmm....

BBC: Michael Schumacher, seven-time Formula 1 world champion, is in a critical condition after a skiing accident, says the French hospital treating him.

The 44-year-old German suffered serious brain trauma, was in a coma on arrival and underwent a brain operation.

Was never a fan, but hope he recovers.
Old 2013-12-29, 19:27   Link #32426
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
BBC: Michael Schumacher, seven-time Formula 1 world champion, is in a critical condition after a skiing accident, says the French hospital treating him.

The 44-year-old German suffered serious brain trauma, was in a coma on arrival and underwent a brain operation.

Was never a fan, but hope he recovers.
Same for me. The news was a shocker when I read about it.
Old 2013-12-29, 20:12   Link #32427
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Images
Gif of the Volgograd train station explosion
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Endless "Explosive" Soul
Old 2013-12-29, 20:41   Link #32428
maplehurry

damn... that looks brutal.
Old 2013-12-29, 21:35   Link #32429
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
And what do you think Japan get out of it? They honour their dead, if you don't like it you can fire-bomb their shrine. Seriously, if you think some great crime is being committed, then charge them with something.
Perhaps you should consider laying off the hyperbole, it really doesn't help your argument.

No matter how hard you try to pretend it doesn't exist, there are political implications when you honor war criminals. Or do you seriously believe there would not be any repercussion if there was a high profile church in Germany that honors Hitler, and the Chancellor visits it?

Also, I'd love to hear what jurisdiction one would go to "charge" Japan

Quote:
There is 101 things I don't like about every country, including both my birthplace and my new home. But every year we basically go through this same crap about "Japan shouldn't have a shrine for their war dead."
I'm pretty sure the sticking point is that war criminals are part of the war dead.

Quote:
Screw implications. Going to the shrine implies nothing.
The real world disagrees with you.

Quote:
If you want the shrine gone, tell whatever your country's leader to start an invasion and remove the shrine by force
Yea, everyone should all skip diplomacy, we all should really just start with the nukes as soon as we didn't like how the other guy's flag look

Quote:
Edit: You know why this presses my buttons? Back in Taiwan I was being brainwashed by the then government as a child to believe the Japanese and Mainland Chinese are demons in human skin.
I certainly don't have any memory of that.

Quote:
And yet here we have Supporters of China saying that the Chinese aren't evil, but that I should keep believing that the Japanese are demons.
Neither are saints, and neither are demons.

I'm far from a supporter of China, but I'm also not a blind supporter of Japan. Saying that there should be no repercussion from the visits would be as naive as saying burning the Quran should also draw no reaction from Muslims.
Old 2013-12-29, 21:43   Link #32430
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Mutual trade of desired goods where both sides have surpluses of (in this case maid costumes and beer) makes for good relationship. Economics 101.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-12-30, 01:42   Link #32431
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Michael Schumacher, former F1 champion, critical after ski fall

I hope everything works out fine.
Old 2013-12-30, 03:23   Link #32432
killer3000ad

Quote:

Second one just went off on a trolley bus, also in Volgograd.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/30/wo...html?hpt=hp_t1
Old 2013-12-30, 06:21   Link #32433
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
There are people down in America's dixie area still BLAME "Yanks" for invading the confederacy America and Sherman's scorch warfare. I got a earful when I was down there last time. Grudges do last, all it take is one or two little incident to re-flash it.

But like I said, at least China and South Korea show restraint when it come to International incidents, as opposed to Japan with a single soldier missing...
RESTRAINT?

What, like South Korea sending military forces to occupy the island in dispute, when international law does not recognize it their own? That's restraint?
China sent boats to their disputed island as well, although granted, not nearly as provocative as sending actual military.

Visiting a shrine of all fallen soldiers, where most of the people are visiting to pray to their grandfathers... is more provocative than military takeover?
I won't even mention them shielding burglars who raided a Japanese temple and stole Buddha statues.

If resorting to crime, violence, riots, and military threat is your idea of "restraint", that's completely insane.
You can argue about disputed territories or what you consider appropriate/inappropriate about the shrine visits all you want, it's a fair game there.
But please, stop turning a blind eye to everything but what serves your purpose.
No one (and yes that includes Japan) has shown restraints, certainly not the two nations you listed.

Last edited by aohige; 2013-12-30 at 07:31.
Old 2013-12-30, 09:38   Link #32434
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Cost of Being Mayor? $650 Million, if He’s Rich
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/30/ny....html?hp&_r=1&

Special Report: Japan's homeless recruited for murky Fukushima clean-up
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9BT00520131230

Insight: Italy's Chinese garment workshops boom as workers suffer
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9BS04D20131229
Old 2013-12-30, 09:48   Link #32435
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
What, like South Korea sending military forces to occupy the island in dispute, when international law does not recognize it their own? That's restraint?
China sent boats to their disputed island as well, although granted, not nearly as provocative as sending actual military.
If you are referring to the Liancourt Rocks, interesting enough, is close to Korea than to Japan. Again, nobody was harmed in this "occupation" as far as I can tell, as opposed to when Japan decided to "occupy" Korea or China.

Quote:
Visiting a shrine of all fallen soldiers, where most of the people are visiting to pray to their grandfathers... is more provocative than military takeover?
Mention the Japanese military to anyone over the age 60+ now days in Korea, Singapore or China and you will get a reaction akin to the mention of the DEVIL himself. No need for any nationalist propaganda. So yes, when your prime minister go around praying at a shrine dedicated to, at least some portion to murderous thugs, you will get a definitely negative response.

Western nations like America needed Japan for the cold war, so they "forgave" Japan fairly early. Plus, countries like America never suffered the absurd amount of damages China or Korea did.

Quote:
I won't even mention them shielding burglars who raided a Japanese temple and stole Buddha statues.
I have no idea what you refer to?

Quote:
If resorting to crime, violence, riots, and military threat is your idea of "restraint", that's completely insane.
Japan broke the bar when it come down to "overreaction," so everything else is "restraint." Also, which crimes are you talking about?

Tokyo isn't getting firebombed, little Japanese girls aren't pressed into comfort women, Japanese men right now aren't used as force labors then cannon folder, Japanese culture isn't being systematically erased, and the unit 731 isn't cutting any captured JDF soldiers or random civilians for "medical research", no mass rapes in any cities in Japan at the moment.

Despite Japan having disputes with Korea, China, Taiwan, and Russia, other than words, there haven't been any causalities on anyone's side.
Old 2013-12-30, 10:12   Link #32436
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

You repeatedly bring up WWII crimes as justification to crucify and hate the Japanese today.
Your... double standard of "overreaction" and what you consider "restraint" is completely subjectively "whatever we do is a-ok, as long as the receiving end are those inhuman Japanese pigs" biased. Riots on the street? Destruction of Japanese properties? Street beatings? Robbery of Japanese temples? Bringing Military to occupy the island in dispute? Bringing Military to threaten neighbors on sea? No one in their right mind considers these "restrained".

You yourself said you're only playing the extreme card because "everyone's being mean to us".
See, that is the WORST stance anyone can have in an argument. What you have expressed to me is, that because the majority disagrees with you, you must go extreme to tip the scale. This is the same argument people like FOX News make, and it is never credible, nor productive to convincing the other side. It's worse, if anything.

Your insistent anti-Western and anti-Japanese expression doesn't even follow the same rules!
You apply a different standard to your own side, justifying everything. Yes, everything. There's not one case of you not defending anything and everything.
When your opposition have always admitted faults on their end, you have never once done so. Every hateful resentment is justified as long as it's against your "enemy". And I'm sorry, "because more people are picking on me" is NOT a valid excuse, please stop making them.

I by no means see the Japanese stance as valid or justified. There's a lot of arrogance reeking from the right.
However, for you to completely ignore everything and vilify one side and forgive your own side, is nothing short of hypocrisy and bigotry.

There. It needed to be said, I'm simply tired of your continued hatemongering here on Animesuki.
I refrained from touching the ongoing subject as I expect it to go nowhere, but your ongoing crusade in particular just needs to find a middle ground.
I sympathize that you feel unfairly criticized, but assuming the extreme and turning to hate is NOT productive. If anything, you further alienate the opposition!

Last edited by aohige; 2013-12-30 at 10:40.
Old 2013-12-30, 10:53   Link #32437
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Your PM is the one who brought up World War II again by going to that Shrine. If that Shrine is what Japan consider to be "Remember their ancestors", to the rest of the Asia, it is "remember what those ancestors did."

Fair is fair.

Quote:
You yourself said you're only playing the extreme because "everyone's being mean to us".
First, it is good to know our PMs aren't private. And also great for misrepresenting the point. A lot of people here go way pass fox news level when it come to China already, including a certain someone even fantasized Bejing coming under nuclear attack by North Korea. So by going to Fox level, it is actually merely evening the scales.
Old 2013-12-30, 11:00   Link #32438
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Wishing destruction on a nation of people is completely unacceptable, yes.
But so is justifying hate mongering of a nation of people.

You're playing a Pot & Kettle there, rather severe case of double standards.
Old 2013-12-30, 11:13   Link #32439
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Fair is fair.
Then make a thread for it. This has gone on far too long in a NEWS thread, not an anti-Japan propaganda thread. Which, I have to say, is hilarious in and of itself to see someone so adamantly anti-Japanese on an anime board who isn't just a troll.
Old 2013-12-30, 11:27   Link #32440
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Then make a thread for it. This has gone on far too long in a NEWS thread, not an anti-Japan propaganda thread. Which, I have to say, is hilarious in and of itself to see someone so adamantly anti-Japanese on an anime board who isn't just a troll.
Which reminds me, the anime airing in my childhood in Taiwan on TV had to have any on-screen Japanese edited out. As a part of the brainwashing all Japanese anime had to be edited to have no hint of its Japanese origin. Because you know, the Japanese were suppose to be evil.

Obviously that isn't enforced anymore, but it was a crazy time when such insane rules are followed.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international