AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-11, 05:41   Link #1641
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Why wouldn't we? Once the voice acting is done for the DVD, it carries over exactly to the BD. Is it really that much extra effort to sell a BD version as well? Is it a question of popularity and profits?
Every time you make a batch of Blu Ray or DVDs, there is a specific cost involved. The smaller the batch, the more expensive per disc it costs to make them. But if you make a batch that is too large you will end up with unsold discs. The problem is that if there isn't enough Blu Ray customers, there is a real danger that they will lose money making the batch. Right now we don't have a Blu Ray player in every home yet, after all.
Old 2010-09-12, 03:32   Link #1642
Ashaman

Hmm, is this the place to say it? Oh well.

i just thought I should say that tickets for THe Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi in Edinburgh for the Scotland Loves Animaton Event are now on sale.

Showing will be on Sunday the 17, october, 14:00.
Old 2010-09-12, 04:57   Link #1643
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Hmm, is this the place to say it? Oh well.

i just thought I should say that tickets for THe Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi in Edinburgh for the Scotland Loves Animaton Event are now on sale.

Showing will be on Sunday the 17, october, 14:00.
Yes this is the place to say it, and interesting to hear
Old 2010-09-12, 05:43   Link #1644
blooglah24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Why wouldn't we? Once the voice acting is done for the DVD, it carries over exactly to the BD. Is it really that much extra effort to sell a BD version as well? Is it a question of popularity and profits?
The reason why I think we won't see it on BD for a while is simply because of all the licensing issues that usually take place. Someone already covered my concerns pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
As well as the region difference, which has "disappeared" (yuk yuk) with the advent of Blu-ray (not to mention the fact that so many anime BDs are regionless anyway). Now the ability for Japanese and Americans to "officially" watch each other's releases makes it much easier for the original distributors and American licensors to step on each others toes, so you know there are going to be contractual stipulations in the licensing agreements to avoid this. I'm going to suggest a difference of at least several months, like we normally get, even if Bandai already has the license.

And the reason why I think that there's a possibility of there being no BD at all is just because Bandai hasn't announced it yet. I kind of found it odd that they didn't do it at the same time they announced the DVD, so I'm wondering if they're planning to release one at all. I guess we'll just have to wait and see in the upcoming months. Maybe they're just saving the BD announcement for a later date.
Old 2010-09-12, 10:46   Link #1645
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Why would there be a licensing issue for Blu-Ray if the company already has the rights to product DVDs?
Old 2010-09-12, 10:56   Link #1646
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Well, since NA and Japan are in the same region for Blu-rays and Blu-rays are generally cheaper to buy in NA than Japan, that's usually why Blu-ray releases for anime come out in Japan first. They don't want to just have everyone import the cheaper NA version. With DVDs this isn't an issue because NA and Japan have different region codes.

Hopefully a Blu-ray release comes out sometime next year (and the box set for TMoHS on Blu-ray would be nice, too!)

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2010-09-13, 00:40   Link #1647
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooglah24 View Post
And the reason why I think that there's a possibility of there being no BD at all is just because Bandai hasn't announced it yet. I kind of found it odd that they didn't do it at the same time they announced the DVD, so I'm wondering if they're planning to release one at all. I guess we'll just have to wait and see in the upcoming months. Maybe they're just saving the BD announcement for a later date.
My guess is that if thet plan on having an American BD release (and they know whether they are or not at this point), then they have been contractually obliged to hold off on even announcing it (or any BD releases for the series, for that matter) until the demand for the Japanese BDs has diminished...

Considering that the nature of the 'Net means that there will be a BD rip of the movie readily available within hours of the Japanese release (if not sooner), the Japanese license holders don't want to give their target audience any excuse to consider putting off getting a physical copy until a much less expensive (even after shipping) American BD is available...
Old 2010-09-14, 07:50   Link #1648
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Last week Taiwan announced their theatres for showing the Haruhi movie. I believe there's also a campaign with one of five possible bookmarks. I've updated the theatre listing, but I warn that I have almost no possible way of translating Chinese, so the names may be off.

In addition, the Anime Festival Asia announced that they will be showing the Haruhi movie in Singapore at their convention from November 13th-14th.

Total theatres is up to 131 worldwide: 118 Japanese, 4 United States, 1 Scotland, 7 Taiwan, and 1 Singapore. (I still don't know why I'm maintaining this list to be quite honest)

Edit: The listing on the official page and no mention of subtitles. I'd say it's confirmed to have none at this point.

Might be a misprint, but they list the DVD as having the script as well.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-09-14 at 09:12.
Old 2010-09-14, 10:51   Link #1649
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Last week Taiwan announced their theatres for showing the Haruhi movie. I believe there's also a campaign with one of five possible bookmarks. I've updated the theatre listing, but I warn that I have almost no possible way of translating Chinese, so the names may be off.

In addition, the Anime Festival Asia announced that they will be showing the Haruhi movie in Singapore at their convention from November 13th-14th.

Total theatres is up to 131 worldwide: 118 Japanese, 4 United States, 1 Scotland, 7 Taiwan, and 1 Singapore. (I still don't know why I'm maintaining this list to be quite honest)

Edit: The listing on the official page and no mention of subtitles. I'd say it's confirmed to have none at this point.

Might be a misprint, but they list the DVD as having the script as well.
It's for people like me who have been awaiting the chance to watch this on the big screen!

You have my sincere thanks!
Old 2010-09-16, 05:36   Link #1650
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
It's with great pleasure (since I've been checking the site about every week since June) to announce that The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya will begin showing in Hawaii at Kahala 8 theatre on October 29th, 2010.

Edit: Also, the Amazon Steel Book edition has risen to 13th in their yearly rankings. It just topped the first Evangelion movie's BD.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-09-16 at 09:00.
Old 2010-09-16, 05:40   Link #1651
brocko

I wish the movie would make it's way to Sydney already T_T

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2010-09-16, 20:09   Link #1652
netvope
SOS-Dan

Quote:
It's with great pleasure (since I've been checking the site about every week since June) to announce that The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya will begin showing in Hawaii at Kahala 8 theatre on October 29th, 2010.

Edit: Also, the Amazon Steel Book edition has risen to 13th in their yearly rankings. It just topped the first Evangelion movie's BD.
I don't know how many times I've seen the dialog "you must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ultimatemegax again"

Thanks as always
Old 2010-09-16, 20:33   Link #1653
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by netvope View Post
I don't know how many times I've seen the dialog "you must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ultimatemegax again"

Thanks as always
Thank you for saying that. It is always wonderful to see that people do appreciate the work I put into hunting for Haruhi news. I hope everyone understood that I was joking about why I keep my spreadsheet updated. It's been updated 127 times since April 7th and it'll continue to be updated as I find new dates.

I do wish everyone could see this movie in a theatre. Those who have seen it like myself can attest that it's an experience you won't forget.

For those in Tsuruoka, you have 14 showings starting a week from tomorrow (2 a day) to catch the movie. There's also one last showing at 22:30 in Nagoya two weeks from today and that looks to be it for Japan.

Old 2010-09-18, 13:22   Link #1654
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Quote:

YES!!! Finally!! They only delayed it here for a few months, but what's one more i guess.

Thanks for sharing the awesome news!!
Old 2010-09-18, 13:32   Link #1655
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I have 1 month and 11 days to get to Hawaii! I might not make it from where I am o.o
Old 2010-09-25, 11:57   Link #1656
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

As of 10 minutes ago (according to the theatre's estimates), we are through with all showings of the Haruhi movie in Japan.

Here's a summary of upcoming events:

In two weekends the NYAF showing will be on October 8th at 8 PM in room 1E09 of the Jacob K. Javits Center. Minori Chihara will be on hand to do an appearance.

Two weekends following that, the movie will be shown at the Scotland Loves Animation festival on October 17th at 14:00 in Edinburgh.

The next two weekends begin regular showings first in Taiwan on the 22nd and in Hawaii on the 29th.

Then we wait until the 13-14th (details haven't been finalized) for the showing in Singapore for the Anime Festival Asia.

After all that, we come back to Japan on December 18th for the Japanese home release.

Old 2010-09-25, 13:45   Link #1657
Ardee

I'll add my thanks for posting this info. I happen to be planning a trip to Hawaii which will include the weekend it starts, and I otherwise would have been oblivious to it being shown!
Old 2010-09-26, 05:36   Link #1658
TheRealTRXD
Not making an impression

Im way to embarrassed to go watch anime publicly even if it does make its way to england, I can't wait for the DVD release though I know enough Japanese to understand about 75% of it, the only problem is whenever the secondary characters speak I'm a bit like "wut?", they have such weird voices sometimes...
Old 2010-09-26, 20:29   Link #1659
typhonsentra

Pretty psyched for the Hawaii premiere. Maybe a few of us on Oahu could meet up and see it as a group?
Old 2010-09-26, 21:18   Link #1660
Ardee

I'd be willing to meet for an Oahu show, but most people would probably want to go on Friday, and I won't get there until Saturday. (I hope it lasts a second day, at least)

Last edited by Ardee; 2010-10-11 at 11:09.
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen