AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Which order do you think is the best way to watch?
As aired on T.V. 254 53.93%
Chronological order 139 29.51%
"Ep 0" first, then Chronological order 58 12.31%
Random Order 12 2.55%
Some different order (please specify) 8 1.70%
Voters: 471. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-28, 16:23   Link #121
Dxon
Inactive Member

Has anyone actually ANY idea why they have different orders?????
Old 2007-12-28, 16:26   Link #122
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxon View Post
To create an ending with an actual climax... that's why it was done in broadcast order.

Remember, it was adapted from a still-running series of novels... giving it a proper ending is difficult, and as the ending to Volume 1 feels most like an ending...
Old 2008-01-24, 13:02   Link #123
hiroto
every schoolday from 8!

I watched in chronological order, just what I thought would be best. For me it made the most sense this way. Besides, I watch everything in the normal order so I thought, this one too.
Old 2008-01-24, 18:54   Link #124
Jintor

If it were't for the fact that the first novel is in chronological order, I'd have said that the weird order was to recreate the sort of WHAM! episode feel of the novels. Except the Novels don't have a WHAM! episode feel to them... : /
Old 2008-01-24, 19:53   Link #125
Sol Falling

achronological order was fun the first time around, just 'cause it seemed completely random and you had no idea what was going on. Trying to guess what was up was fairly engaging.

But as I've said before, that effect only lasts as long as the first watch through, and in terms of character development, the chronological order is much more satisfying. So although I won't say that the achronological order is a bad thing, I will say that the chronological order is the only proper way to watch the series (assuming you're willing to give it more than one run through).
Old 2008-02-02, 00:38   Link #126
Autumn Demon
~

the first time i saw it i saw it in aired order. when i rewatched it i did the chronological order.

i found the aired order to be better because that way the best episodes are generally at the end of the show, while the chronological order has boring episodes toward the end.
Old 2008-02-21, 18:18   Link #127
Ketro

I liked the original broadcast order, mainly because w/ the chronological order, the ending doesnt seem as good.
Old 2008-03-21, 10:47   Link #128
sosbrigademember
Banned

Send a message via AIM to sosbrigademember
yes, 00 then chronological order. Though the first time I ever watched Haruhi, I watched it from volume 1-4 in regular order.
Old 2008-03-22, 10:51   Link #129
V33D12AG0N
The Draconic Human

I guess it'll be best to watch it twice:

the first time is to get the impression, so you must watch it according to the TV series which gives more impressions in the last episode.

The second time is to know the storyline, so you must watch it chronologically.

By doing this, we can get both the impression and the storyline completely
Old 2008-03-26, 01:12   Link #130
Furyofthewolves
Kyonkoism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxon View Post
Because Haruhi was the Ultra Director of the anime! And as Kaisos said, it gives a climax.

I watched it all as aired minus episode 0. I kinda like how they did it, as I didn't need to rewatch it to get the plot. Then again, I'm the kinda guy who is able to remember plotlines well... so maybe it was just me.
Old 2008-07-26, 12:54   Link #131
CinemaZebra
Okinawan Pirate

If you haven't seen the show yet, I'd definitely reccomend watching it in chronological order. But if you have and you're watching it again for the English or Japanese dub (depending upon which dub you watched the first time) I'd recommend watching it in the order aired on TV.
Old 2008-08-01, 06:41   Link #132
Toomz
Registered vagabond

Ahhh, the great debate. "How does one watch this series?" someone might ask, and thus I would have close to no answer. I started out watching it in broadcast, but then inadvertently switched to chronological after Ep.4 (broadcast). So to say the least, my opinion is a bit skewed.

Anyway, looking back on it, I wish I would have just stuck with broadcast order the first time around. Even if it's a gimmick, it's clever, and interesting for a first view. And I have to agree that it just spreads out the story better, seeing as how in chronological order the main story finishes early on with the first six episodes.

I'm thinking about testing this anime on an audience of people who have never seen it before, to see their reactions. But anyway, the order isn't that big of a deal. Just sit down, watch it, and enjoy!
Old 2008-08-01, 06:52   Link #133
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I've had several comments on the different episode orders from people who watch it for the first time (on DVD). It's mainly from recommending the anime on a non-anime forum.

Interestingly, there's about an equal proportion of those who watched it in chronological order and those who chose broadcast order. There's also a roughly equal portion from both sides who wished that they watched it the other way.

The reasons have been brought up before: chronological order feels like lots of plot followed by lots of filler, while broadcast order is too confusing to keep track of.

I suspect, without proof, that if one watches the series all in one go, or at least plenty of episodes at once, then it's best to watch it in broadcast order: the plot points will remain fresh in one's mind, the way we kept talking about it when the series was first being aired and fansubbed. If one watches it a bit at a time, maybe one episode every week or more, though, then chronological order might be much better.

This is anecdotal evidence only, though. Please don't take it as absolute statistics.
Old 2008-08-01, 10:57   Link #134
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Original broadcast. The plot seems to drag less.
Old 2008-08-01, 16:00   Link #135
Bennyswan
Hmmm.....
*Artist

Broadcast that's for sure!

The ending for the chronicle order was to plain for me.
Old 2008-08-04, 11:38   Link #136
Amray

I have seen it in both orders, but could someone please enlighten me as to which order is the proper one? I am an extreme Haruhi fan but I just did not know which way the episodes should have been officially shown.

Am I right in assuming that the 'proper' final episode is the one in which Haruhi and Kyon are trapped in an enclosed space in school and he then kisses her to get out? Because that was the order in which I first viewed them in and liked. Although I will say that I did like the other order too as the ending seemed a little bit peaceful and relaxing for a final session. Nontheless, what I am assuming is the correct order made more sense.
Old 2008-08-11, 08:29   Link #137
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
I have seen it in both orders, but could someone please enlighten me as to which order is the proper one? I am an extreme Haruhi fan but I just did not know which way the episodes should have been officially shown.

Am I right in assuming that the 'proper' final episode is the one in which Haruhi and Kyon are trapped in an enclosed space in school and he then kisses her to get out? Because that was the order in which I first viewed them in and liked. Although I will say that I did like the other order too as the ending seemed a little bit peaceful and relaxing for a final session. Nontheless, what I am assuming is the correct order made more sense.
That is the original broadcast order. I believe someone has a chronological order somewhere...
Old 2008-08-11, 11:34   Link #138
Amray

Yes, I looked it up just after I posted that actually. I apologize. ^_^

Their is a "Broadcast Order", a "Chronological Order", and a "DVD Order".
I have seen it in the chronological order and the DVD order, which is obvious as I have the DVD set of the series. I must say that I quite liked the DVD order as they made the "Someday in the Rain" episode last, which made a calm and quite nice impact on how the series ended as not a lot went on in that episode. Still a great session though. Just my opinion.
Old 2008-08-11, 15:01   Link #139
Aerii

I watched it in chronological order. I don't regret it, because I hate not knowing things. Can't stand it. It would've got in the way of my enjoyment, and so I have a feeling I would've not liked the show in broadcast order. But that's just me.
Old 2008-09-07, 21:46   Link #140
Kakisho
Just Another

Send a message via AIM to Kakisho
I say random order for rewatching, as aired on TV for first time. The confusion and the fact that it's not chronological adds to the anime which gives excitment and a feeling of a "what just happened????" then you go on to see and say "ohhhhhh." Though, as long as episode 14 is last, watching them randomly is even more exicting and makes even less sense, just make sure you didn't JUST finish the anime or else it'll be relatively boring.