Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-19, 11:33   Link #17761
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I dislike when corporations pull these kinds of stunts just to make a buck.
It gives verbal ammunition to politicians to call for the regulation of video games.
We've seen that kind of nonsense before over games like Grand Theft Auto, Doom (back in the 1990s), and Silent Hill.
Your reasoning is a bit frightening. You don't like it when the government tries to censor video games, so you wish that games would tone it down so that they don't set the government off. You realize that you're basically calling for self-imposed censorship of games, right? Whether the government made a law or whether the companies avoided certain topics for fear that such a law would come into place, the end result would be the same.
Old 2011-11-19, 12:37   Link #17762
solomon

Speaking of self censorship.

This doesn't have to do with any particular news story. But I've been reading Japanese papers and media for news (and language practice) for a while now. They seem real vanillia in terms of what they cover. They don't have big investigative exposes or anything. Hell when there have been marches against Nuclear Power or forming their own occupy Tokyo, I never see a thing about it in the papers or on NHK.

I read in the Economist about the scandal revolving around camera maker Olympus and it's wierd finances, the mag said that the media hasn't pointed fingers at possibly corrupt leadership.

The news media seems real...............vanilla. (for lack of a better word)
Old 2011-11-19, 13:42   Link #17763
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Wow, makes me glad to get the Daily Telegraph and Guardian among others.
Old 2011-11-19, 13:48   Link #17764
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Who, What, Why: Why don't more countries use plastic banknotes?
Old 2011-11-19, 17:47   Link #17765
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Wow, makes me glad to get the Daily Telegraph and Guardian among others.
A Tory Rag and a Red Rose Reveler, nice balance. (jk, like the Guardian, don't know much about the 'graph but seems like a good paper, haven't read it in a while tho)
Old 2011-11-19, 18:59   Link #17766
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I don't really read newspapers except the Metro. XP
Old 2011-11-19, 19:08   Link #17767
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Deadline passes with no sign of Syria violence abating
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7MD0GZ20111119
Old 2011-11-19, 19:38   Link #17768
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think Coca Cola did it perfectly in the 70s

It's the real thing alright, real as in artificial.
Old 2011-11-19, 20:02   Link #17769
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
This is a bit disturbing.

Rainbow 6 Patriots Announced, Coming in 2013

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/gam...ed_coming_2013

What's Ubisoft trying to say here?

"In a nutshell, the new threat believes that “the American government is irrevocably corrupted by greedy politicians and corporate special interests,” an extreme viewpoint that will predictably force Team Rainbow to “make tough ethical decisions.” That's right, Jedis, you're not the only ones who can do that."

Pardon me, but that sounds awfully like the Occupy Wallstreet, and Tea Party movements and what this new video game looks like is corporate propaganda.

I hope I'm wrong.
Now, if you can join the revolutionists and overthrow the goverment, that'd make for an interesting game.
Old 2011-11-19, 20:10   Link #17770
ChainLegacy
廉頗

What if they made a game where you're the corporate bigwigs, you could hire lobbyists, donate to your favorite crony politician, lay off people in your home country, open factories in exploitable countries, get bailed out by people thousands of time poorer than you, etc. Would be fun as hell.
Old 2011-11-19, 20:43   Link #17771
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
What if they made a game where you're the corporate bigwigs, you could hire lobbyists, donate to your favorite crony politician, lay off people in your home country, open factories in exploitable countries, get bailed out by people thousands of time poorer than you, etc. Would be fun as hell.
Here's the catcher: That doesn't have sympathetic plot and characterization outlet. Having something similar and something to attach yourself to is an arguably better way to get people to buy instead of playing as the lobbyists who already have EVERYTHING they'd want.
Old 2011-11-19, 20:46   Link #17772
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
A Tory Rag and a Red Rose Reveler, nice balance. (jk, like the Guardian, don't know much about the 'graph but seems like a good paper, haven't read it in a while tho)
Mostly highlighted them as they both blew the whistles on huge scandals. The telegraph published a whole load of MP expenses receipts, showing they were claiming back money for rather ... frivolous things.

The Guardian revealed what the News of the World (and News International generally) had been up to with phone tapping.

Otherwise, both are decent, if somewhat partisan, papers. The Telegraph certainly leans towards the conservatives, though the expenses scandal it revealed certainly damaged the conservatives as much as Labour. The Guadian leans Lib Dems and Labour.

The US also has good papers, New York Times is pretty good. But I am somewhat partial to British Journalism, even if the tabloids are a bit... problematic.
Old 2011-11-19, 22:47   Link #17773
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Your reasoning is a bit frightening. You don't like it when the government tries to censor video games, so you wish that games would tone it down so that they don't set the government off. You realize that you're basically calling for self-imposed censorship of games, right? Whether the government made a law or whether the companies avoided certain topics for fear that such a law would come into place, the end result would be the same.
Perhaps I'm just a scary guy.
If my wanting game companies to be responsible with what they produce is frightening then so be it.
I would much rather have the gaming industry police itself rather than some bureaucrat in Washington DC.
We're told constantly that the 1st amendment, and thus free speech, has limits.
That includes what is and is not acceptable in video games.
Ubisoft isn't ignorant of what they're doing by producing such a game, and while the hype and "avant garde" nature of it may increase sales it may also invite unwanted calls for government regulation that doesn't need to be there.
I don't want politicians telling me what I can and cannot buy in the game store, but by the same token I expect the game developers to have enough common sense to not attract the eye of Sauron that is congress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Now, if you can join the revolutionists and overthrow the goverment, that'd make for an interesting game.
Oh if that were the case the DHS would probably cry foul.
They've done this in less provacative cases.

http://www.mediafreedominternational...ne-censorship/

In other news:

Older, Suburban and Struggling, ‘Near Poor’ Startle the Census

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/us...g.html?_r=2&hp
Old 2011-11-19, 22:56   Link #17774
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
I don't want politicians telling me what I can and cannot buy in the game store, but by the same token I expect the game developers to have enough common sense to not attract the eye of Sauron that is congress.
Whether the government bans certain material, or whether the game companies don't produce said material for fear of bringing about a government ban, the end result is the same: the material isn't available to you. I'm not seeing why it's better that the ban be self-imposed as opposed to legal. If anything, it's worse: laws and regulations can be seen by all and challenged, but fear of undefined boundaries cannot. Chains forged of mind are certainly stronger than those of ink and paper, or even any metal.
Old 2011-11-19, 23:59   Link #17775
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
It's the real thing alright, real as in artificial.
Back then, Coke in the USA was made with real sugar.... rather than the current HFCS.
Old 2011-11-20, 00:04   Link #17776
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
Here's the catcher: That doesn't have sympathetic plot and characterization outlet. Having something similar and something to attach yourself to is an arguably better way to get people to buy instead of playing as the lobbyists who already have EVERYTHING they'd want.
It would be a Civilization-style game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Back then, Coke in the USA was made with real sugar.... rather than the current HFCS.
Certainly makes it better, but I stand by the statement either way.
Old 2011-11-20, 05:58   Link #17777
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Haiti president lays out path to restore army
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AH2AK20111118
Do he really think than they have the time and money to spend ( if not to waste) on that ?
Old 2011-11-20, 06:57   Link #17778
sa547
*Author

Given that up to now Haiti is still in dire straits and hungry, they can only so far beef up the police with a limited budget but not the whole armed forces; I mean, I think their president has misplaced his priorities.
Old 2011-11-20, 17:54   Link #17779
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

At least 10 die as army, police charge Egypt protesters
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AI0EC20111120
Old 2011-11-21, 12:49   Link #17780
sneaker

France about to loose its AAA rating, PIIGS beg for "Euro Bonds" yet again, with Merkel still playing a little reluctant, while the ECB continues to buy PIIGS papers despite its statues forbidding it to do so.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...798994,00.html

Business as usual within the Euro zone, how long till the shit hits the fan?
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international