Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-04, 15:04   Link #101
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBrains

Just looking over the comic real quick, I was amazed at how different it was from the TV show. I know you had mentioned this yourself, mangatron, when you first talked about it, but I was still surprised to see it myself.

Most of the stories are completely different ... Very interesting.
Tsukuyomi Moon Phase manga has a very different "feel" than the anime as well. Though I have to say Canvas 2 seems to be the most re-arranged/changed I've seen since I started watching anime. But... I hope its not just because I've seen the anime before looking at the manga but the anime seems to be the superior product.
Hmmm, actually Negima was seriously changed from the manga as well ... but that was a trainwreck disaster from the animation quality to the change in production teams after ep 10 to the completely mangled ending.
The story arrangement in Canvas 2 has been really entertaining for me -- particularly by *not* starting off with hahaha silliness in the first two eps and then giving us the delightful Hagino as a breather.
Old 2006-01-05, 12:19   Link #102
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

I enjoy the anime version more as well. Mostly because there's more Kiri, and less generic harem anime stuff. I'll be curious if they have the same ending (or same end-pairing), even if they go about it differently. I have no idea how often manga's have different end-pairings than the corresponding anime version (if at all).
MonkeyBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 13:53   Link #103
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Hmmm.....the pause in anime over the last 2 weeks must really have made us lax...

But episode 13 stunned me, to say the least...

Spoiler for episode 13:

Nice episode. Very very nice.....
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 18:01   Link #104
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

Seems to match up with what I had posted about what happened in the game with respect to the history of the three. So I'll be curious which path it takes for a resolution.
Spoiler:

I look forward to seeing it myself (downloading now...). Thanks for the summary, mangatron. Next episode will probably be just as good, since it should show the beginnings of the present day ramifications of the past.
Old 2006-01-08, 19:32   Link #105
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Hiroki would reject Kiri again only if this ends as a HirokiXElise ending. If it is a HirokoXKiri ending why would he reject her again?
Old 2006-01-08, 20:23   Link #106
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep13 makes it even clearer that this is the most emotionally deep "harem" anime I've ever seen. Transcends its genre.

Nice summary, mangatron...
Spoiler for ep13+:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 20:57   Link #107
mangatron

Heh, I've pretty much nerfed myself....

Spoiler for episode 13:

By the way, Tomoko is in the manga as well....
Old 2006-01-08, 21:50   Link #108
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Though I have to say Canvas 2 seems to be the most re-arranged/changed I've seen since I started watching anime. But... I hope its not just because I've seen the anime before looking at the manga but the anime seems to be the superior product.
Well, as with nearly every show in this genre (Shuffle, Da Capo, you name it), they're both different variations on the game story (as you know). The manga and anime usually have no direct correlation. The rule about "the manga's better than the anime" only generally applies when the manga is the original source material (the whole rule is really just a variation of the old "the original is best" rule that applies to all entertainment). In this genre, the animes actually do tend to be more dynamic retellings, while the manga tends to be more fillerish/"extra". That's not to say the manga suck - they're certainly enjoyable - but they don't tend to get as much focus. Anyway, all that to say, that the anime is better than the manga doesn't surprise me much in this genre.

P.S. Will get back to the latest discussion when I finally get around to watching the episode.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2006-01-08 at 22:04. Reason: darned typos...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 18:05   Link #109
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

Hiroki is way too nice
Yanagi is such a nice guy to backstab his best friend
I'm wondering why he did not tell the truth about it
Another question isnt there any previews of the upcoming episodes ?
zgmf-x19a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 18:42   Link #110
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Ep13 makes it even clearer that this is the most emotionally deep "harem" anime I've ever seen. Transcends its genre.
This change in nature for the series has me definitely surprised and pleased at the same time. When I first started watching this series, I didn't really feel like there was anything that made it stand out amongst the crowd. However, episode 13 just opened up a can of whoop ass on other harem animes. I will definitely be clinging onto this precious series till the bitter end.
tun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 19:53   Link #111
Furudanuki

I've always considered a "harem" anime to be one where there are three or (usually) more potential lovers pursuing the lead male/female. So, despite the abundance of female characters, Canvas 2 has never really seemed like a harem series to me at all. More like a couple of interconnected triangles. Well, whatever you call it, Canvas 2 has been a fun ride thus far and I'm looking forward to seeing episode #13.

BTW, I asked this before, but I think it got lost in a flood of other messages. Can anyone who is familiar with the game or the manga tell me whether or not Hiroki and Hagino knew each other prior to him becoming the art club instructor? The relaxed way he interacts with her is so different from the more formal manner he shows with the other girls at the school that it is hard to believe they all met at the same time.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 20:05   Link #112
mangatron

I sometimes wonder....did you all actually think this series was harem at first? Seriously, that thought never crossed my mind.....it amazes me to, nearly everyone claimed Mahoraba to be harem and a Love Hina clone only in the end it was not even close to any of that....

The definition of Harem becomes so twisted these days ....

For some reason, now...I don't want a Kiri X Hiroki ending....
Old 2006-01-09, 20:31   Link #113
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron
I sometimes wonder....did you all actually think this series was harem at first? <snip>
I knew absolutely nothing about Canvas 2 (or its predecessors) when I downloaded episode #1. Basically picked it out of the current torrents at random. So when I first saw the OP... Yes, I thought, "Hmmm, must be harem." And then seeing the ED for the first time? "Hmmm, must be ecchi harem." Fortunately I stuck with the series long enough to correct that impression.

BTW, based on the anime I've seen lately only the OP for Karin does a better job of giving a first-time viewer the wrong idea about the series than the ED for Canvas 2!
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 21:17   Link #114
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
It seemed like a harem series at first, in the sense that there were a lot of girls and one guy; however, like Lamune, it's pretty obvious early on that it's not actually a harem series at all. For me, to be a harem series it has to be pretty well established (as in, more than mentioned once in passing) that at least three heroines share a romantic interest in the male lead, and he has to reciprocate, at some level, those feelings. So, for me, Love Hina counts (Naru, Mutsumi, Shinobu and Motoko), Ai Yori Aoshi does not (Aoi and possibly Tina). Canvas 2 definitely does not. Canvas 2 is just a plain, old fashioned love triangle (which is used in most romances, not just anime/manga).

I agree that people tend to overuse the "harem" title.

BTW, love your new sig, Mangatron.
Old 2006-01-09, 21:30   Link #115
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Sometimes I think the term "harem" should be done away with. It's reached the point where it's slapped on to any anime that has two or more Bishoujo in it. It's literally lost most of its meaning in the end. Either way it really doesn't matter to me if Canvas 2 is considered harem or not. I'm still going to keep watching it anyway. Since it's a pretty nice series so far. So I'm interested in seeing how it ends.
Old 2006-01-09, 21:32   Link #116
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
It seemed like a harem series at first, in the sense that there were a lot of girls and one guy; however, like Lamune, it's pretty obvious early on that it's not actually a harem series at all. For me, to be a harem series it has to be pretty well established (as in, more than mentioned once in passing) that at least three heroines share a romantic interest in the male lead, and he has to reciprocate, at some level, those feelings. So, for me, Love Hina counts (Naru, Mutsumi, Shinobu and Motoko), Ai Yori Aoshi does not (Aoi and possibly Tina). Canvas 2 definitely does not. Canvas 2 is just a plain, old fashioned love triangle (which is used in most romances, not just anime/manga).

BTW, love your new sig, Mangatron.
I like the way you think, and thats the same thing I've always thought. If there is at least 3 girls who like the guy, and the guy somewhat shows the same affection, therefore that is what really describes harem. Because, if there is 2 girls who love 1 guy, that is called a love triangle, and of course if there's one girl after 1 guy, that's called a relationship

Thanks, my sig melts my brain everytime, every post I make

Furudanuki, I'll get back to you later on the Hagino issue, right now I'm in portable mode (laptop) and my desktop has all the info I need to compile up with the big three merchandise (game, manga and anime). Although I could use my manga knowledge without my desktop, I prefer my 3 way attack
Old 2006-01-10, 01:33   Link #117
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I sometimes wonder....did you all actually think this series was harem at first? Seriously, that thought never crossed my mind.....it amazes me to, nearly everyone claimed Mahoraba to be harem and a Love Hina clone only in the end it was not even close to any of that....

For some reason, now...I don't want a Kiri X Hiroki ending....
I did think it was a harem series at first but that lasted for exactly 3 episodes. By the end of Hagino's date, it was clear we had a triangle at most (with a few complications0 ... I've not read the manga.

Per Mahoraba: well, I'm not everyone --- Mahoraba I call a "false" harem --- the trick for Shiratori is to get all the "girls" to like him. Anyone who said it was like Love Hina has all the analytical skills of a seaslug..... It reminded me of an updated Maison Ikkoku with a twist on the innkeeper (and much funnier really, the residents of that inn were pretty annoying).

The "harem" anime reminds me a lot of an early 1960s Jerry Lewis movie called "The Ladies Man" ... he's the young male caretaker of a young woman's boarding house... each woman is a certain stereotype including the mysterious sultry one ... this sounding familiar? Worth a rent if you can find it.

Rooboy hits it pretty well... and I certainly agree with Furu about that the misleading Karin OP and Canvas 2 ED.

And despite the trend that I *should* be fond of "miss gothiness nyah" .... the indomitable Hagino tops my list .... the way she interacts with Hiroki is absolutely great... no fear and full speed ahead (loved the date research request in ep 3).
Old 2006-01-10, 22:18   Link #118
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

To me, a harem anime is one where there's usually only one guy, and every girl in the series fawns over him. Whether he returns the affections of one or more of them at any point rarely matters. Which is usually the basic plot of an H-game turned anime, it seems... Although Comic Party was definitely not like that. And so far, neither is Canvas 2. Just an ordinary love triangle. All the other female characters have their own things going on, which is a nice change.

Anyway, back to Canvas 2, I'm even less sure of which way the anime will go, Elis or Kiri. I had been thinking Kiri, because of the early episodes, but episode 13, I'm not sure anymore...
Spoiler:

In the earlier episodes, the acting-superintendent, Kiri, and Elis talked about how great a painter Hiroki was in High School.
Spoiler:
There's obviously still a lot left to be told.
Not to mention, the acting-superintendent hasn't really had an episode focusing on her. Usually, shows like this have at least one episode for each character.
Old 2006-01-10, 23:33   Link #119
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Per Mahoraba: well, I'm not everyone --- Mahoraba I call a "false" harem --- the trick for Shiratori is to get all the "girls" to like him. Anyone who said it was like Love Hina has all the analytical skills of a seaslug..... It reminded me of an updated Maison Ikkoku with a twist on the innkeeper (and much funnier really, the residents of that inn were pretty annoying).
Really? I think Mahoroba is the perfect "harem" as it consists of exactly one girl, so all fans are pleased.
Quote:
The "harem" anime reminds me a lot of an early 1960s Jerry Lewis movie called "The Ladies Man" ... he's the young male caretaker of a young woman's boarding house... each woman is a certain stereotype including the mysterious sultry one ... this sounding familiar? Worth a rent if you can find it.
I normally can't stand comedies, but I have got to find this. Vexx, you just made my whole week!
Quote:
Rooboy hits it pretty well... and I certainly agree with Furu about that the misleading Karin OP and Canvas 2 ED.
I have to say that the Karin OP and the Canvas 2 ED make me a little ... uncomfortable ... to watch (particularly Karin's OP, I usually skip past ED's anyway).
Old 2006-01-13, 03:51   Link #120
DanielSong39

Is this Canvas 2 or Da Capo?

Is it just my imagination, or am I seeing Sakura and Nemu fighting over the same guy all over again? Man, the resemblence is uncanny.

Elis looks like the stronger character at this point - though Card Captor Kiri has a very good chance. Let's see how this turns out.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, eroge, f&c, kadokawa, romance, school life, seinen, slice of life, zexcs