AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2010-06-24, 22:33   Link #1
SURVIVALsp1

The Site is not Loading up

I hope it isn't what I think it is, but ever since the Obama administration had started the piracy crackdown, I haven't been able to get onto the site.

Or is it just me?
SURVIVALsp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 01:18   Link #2
Kudryavka

Great, now Americans can't access AnimeSuki. Does this mean all torrents get trashed now, since we can't have it?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 01:29   Link #3
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

You can try a mirror for the time being

http://animesuki.sandwich.net/
http://animesuki.mangaitalia.com
http://animesuki.allanime.org
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 01:58   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I was just about to open a ticket with our provider, as after waking up (at 9:00 am after waking and staying up several hours earlier to investigate the issue) all other sites I know that are hosted by the same provider (including nyaatorrents.org) were working, but www.animesuki.com still wasn't. But just as I doing some last checks to make sure the server was really down, it came back up.

Initially the problem appeared to be the same as three weeks ago btw, with everything down at our provider (including their own site). So I wasn't worried and was waiting for them the fix the issue. As it was ~4:00 am (European time), I then went back to bed.

Total downtime seems to have been about 6 hours (~3:00 am to ~9:00 am CEST). I hope they improve their reliability in the future. Then again I'm not so keen on moving as this provider is torrent site friendly.

Keeping a bookmark to a mirror might be useful just in case it happens another time (I hope not). Also, I'll try to keep the AnimeSuki twitter feed up to date:
http://twitter.com/AnimeSuki

(Though if another downtime happens in the middle of the night [in Europe] then I might not be able to keep the Twitter feed up-to-date for obvious reasons, I just happened to be awake this time)
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 05:28   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If the outages persist, might it be time to consider using round-robin DNS? It's pretty apparent few members know about the mirrors, so perhaps www.animesuki.com should point to all of them?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 07:11   Link #6
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

First, that'll put a lot more load on the mirrors - something that some mirror operators may not be anticipating or appreciate.

Second, eventually (ahem) I will (hopefully) finish a new version of the site (see sig) which will make such an option impossible to use.

Last time (when the site was down for way longer) I put up a notice about the downtime with links to various mirrors. I didn't do that this time because it was the middle of the night and because I had hoped the problem would be fixed sooner (while I was asleep rather than after waking).
Old 2010-06-30, 13:14   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You can do load balancing by duplicating the records of the sites you want to handle the main traffic. Something like this:

Code:
www         IN     A     95.143.193.31
            IN     A     95.143.193.31
            IN     A     69.9.32.152
            IN     A     199.125.85.39
            IN     A     62.149.174.159
            IN     A     85.214.39.249
This returns the main site address on average five out of every nine requests, with the mirror addresses returned 1/9 of the time.

You could duplicate the main address a dozen or more times if you want it to handle most of the traffic, but the mirrors would be there if the main site tanks. Of course you need to deal with caching by DNS servers, though giving the records a one-day life span would probably be sufficient to handle that.

Just a thought....
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 14:55   Link #8
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

That is possible, but then if the main server goes down the site would still not load for 5 out 9 times visitors. You could avoid this issue a little by having some script check if the site is up and remove the IP(s) from the round robin DNS rotation. But to do that effectively you'd need a much lower TTL.

Anyway, like I said previously if I ever get v3 of the site life then round robin DNS with other mirrors won't be possible as v3 doesn't use a mirror system because it accesses the main database directly (though it can for now at least, co-exist with the v2 mirror system).