AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-03-09, 01:43   Link #1
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Best Plot/Story???

Hi all. I'm looking to get addicted to a game with a great story and plot. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out. If I had to describe it in one word, I want that "epic" feel that you get when you are so absorbed in the story of a game that you forget you are playing it and you feel like you are actually in the game. I LOVE that feeling!

So please post any games you have played which you think have a great story/plot. Also please post which systems it is available on. Here is a list of some of the games I have played which I feel fit into what I am looking for:

1. FFVI (best example of an epic game) - SNES/PS
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES/PS
3. FFVII - PS/PC
4. FFIV - SNES/PS
5. FFVIII - PS/PC

(I'm not necessarily looking for an RPG, as long as it gives me that feeling thats all I'm looking for. )

Last edited by Roots; 2004-06-19 at 20:05.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 02:22   Link #2
Tenkoy
That is a secret.

Send a message via AIM to Tenkoy Send a message via MSN to Tenkoy Send a message via Yahoo to Tenkoy
Xenogears.

That has one of the most interesting and complex plots I've ever seen in a video game.
Tenkoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 12:59   Link #3
Kklathan
Vampyre

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millinium (genesis)
Xenogears (ps1)
Xenosaga Episode 1(ps2)
Suikoden III (ps2)
Breath of Fire (SNES)
Final Fantasy III

This is all that comes to mind atm as far as epic storylines go. Give me a pm later on and ill see what else I can think up.

"Sky... blue sky...
What your eyes can see...
What your eyes cant see..."
Kklathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 13:08   Link #4
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I've played Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Breath of Fire. Those were good games, but I didn't get the epic feel from them. Lufia and Lufia II (SNES) were two other games that gave me that feeling.

I've been meaning for a long time to pick up Suikoden III, but I heard it was hard to find, and I haven't played the prequels so I was afraid of feeling lost. I might go try out Phantasy Star Thanks
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 17:10   Link #5
ss_goku4
Perverted Teacher

Send a message via MSN to ss_goku4
Final Fantasy's have some great stories indeed. VI is the best of them all. But I also love Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast) and Skies of Arcadia Legends ( Gamcube). Its the same game, except th GC version is newer, smoother, and has more hours of play. Skies is just as epic as you can get. Fights on land, fights up in the skis, ship battles, super sweet supers, anime style graphics, and best of all, the story just rocks! It made me want to cry after I passed it knowing that it was over. (Sob) : its around 40 hours long.

Grandia II is another awesome game that every RPGer should play. Its both on Dreamcast and PS2 although I heard that the Dreamcast version is better. Just about everything in this game is great! The battle system is the best of any RPG out there. Trust me!! And the voice acting is just the best when it comes to games. Its all great! :gameplay is about 40 hours also.

And if you liked the battle system alone, Grandia Xtreme is a must play. Its not great with the story, and the voice actors suck on this one, but the battle get intense. I absolutley love the very last fight ( which is about 115 hours into the game; thats not a typo, I said 115 hours) where you are up against a level. 200 monstrosity(Zanothlee) and only at this point you are your party of four is around level 100. This is soley for those who love the grandia battle sytem. : gameplay time for this game is around 115 hours and more.

these are just some.
I'll post more as soon as they come.

Last edited by ss_goku4; 2004-03-09 at 22:25.
ss_goku4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 18:20   Link #6
Kklathan
Vampyre

I have not played suikoden I or II before I picked up III. I had very little problems diving into the world entirely. I meen entirely. The story is an epic, (actually, epics)however you get to pick and choose which epic is played out. I picked up the game out of ennui and ended up beating it 3x (about 100 hours) before I was done. It is not all that hard to find around where I live, just 30bucks at any local gamestop. btw, phantasy star 4 is my favorate console game of all time.
Its the only game that I leveled all my characters up to lvl 99 on.

Stuff to try:
Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete (ps1)
Lunar II: Perfect Blue (ps1)
Kklathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 18:44   Link #7
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

I've always been a huge fan of Chrono Trigger for the SNES. While it's a bit old now, it's one of those games that one simply shouldn't miss out on if one likes RPGs. I dare say it's one of the greatest games ever. IMO, of course.

Also, Tales of Phantasia for SNES was great (there's a PS1 version too, I haven't tried it).
Old 2004-03-10, 18:33   Link #8
Mr_Anonomis
El Diablo Blanco!

Send a message via AIM to Mr_Anonomis
Legend of Dragoon-PS is a game that i really liked (enought to play it 9 times...lol)
Dragon Warrior VII-PS...really good game, I felt like i was there the whole time, except for the pixelyness
Then the Zelda games are always good, you can get ocarina of time on gamecube, but windwaker isnt that great.
Mr_Anonomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 21:34   Link #9
daliinn

ohh ohh, Parasite Eve. Very in depth plot. The second one wasn't that great though....

Also another game i absolutly loved was Sieken Densetsu 2 (secret of mana) for the SNES. great gameplay and storyline
daliinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 22:53   Link #10
Iori Branford
UH OH SEI IS A KITTY

Deus Ex.
Thief 1 and 2.
The King of Fighters 97.
Iori Branford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 00:41   Link #11
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

for an rpg Septerra Core has an awsome story, you can get one for like 3 bucks at target, I think this game never got the props it deserves. It's not all that long either, check it out sometime you won't be disapointed.

Max Paye 1 and 2, were ok also, if you like the "detective tells you his story in a deep voice while solving a case" kinda feel.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 00:55   Link #12
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
for an rpg Septerra Core has an awsome story, you can get one for like 3 bucks at target, I think this game never got the props it deserves. It's not all that long either, check it out sometime you won't be disapointed.
I dunno. Septerra Core had an interesting concept and great potential, but the game didn't really do anything with it. The gameplay was rather mediocre, and the actual storyline only touched lightly on the background of the game.

In any case, I'm partial to the Marathon series of FPS by Bungie (curently Bungie Software, after they got bought by Microsoft). The original Marathon set the stage, Marathon 2: Durandal (incidentally the only one of the three to be released on Windows) told a gripping story, and Marathon: Infinity was a great example of a non-linear storyline.

Close contenders are the System Shock games and Deus Ex. Although if you can play through Deus Ex and not cringe at the horrible voice acting, you're a better person than I.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 01:15   Link #13
Chrn0

Send a message via AIM to Chrn0 Send a message via MSN to Chrn0
Legend Of Dragoon - Nice plot,good game
Chrono Trigger - Good Plot,Good game
Chrn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 01:38   Link #14
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
for an rpg Septerra Core has an awsome story, you can get one for like 3 bucks at target, I think this game never got the props it deserves.
I personally found the battle system to be very lacking. I liked the setting and what I saw of the story, but I never finished it because I got too tired of the battles.
Old 2004-03-11, 03:44   Link #15
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Funny how three bishoujo games made it onto the list

Kanon - One of the most emotional game I've ever played. The story is top notch, with the anime version only composing of a mere fraction of the game. The game is also much, much sadder than the anime.

Mizuiro - OMG, the anime did not give this game justice. Hiyori's storyline was butchered in the anime. Her story in the game is so, so, so sad. I cried so much

Air - There's a reason why this game was voted as the best game in Japan for two years in a row, and yes, it's a dating sim.

Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars/2173 Testament - Hands down, best story for the GBA. The only other real contender is Super Robot Wars R. If you haven't played it yet, do yourself a favor and get it. Having a great storyline is one thing, but most games lack another important factor: Character Interaction. I think it was the only GBA game to ever make me cry.

Super Robot Wars Alpha - Imagine a strategy game that takes the characters/storyline of over 15 mecha series such as Getter Robo, Mazinger Z, Evangelion, Gundams, Macross, etc and combines them all together in the same universe to form and epic storyline. Best scene ever: reinacting End of Eva, and stopping it.

Xenogears - I don't think I need to explain why.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 08:33   Link #16
kakashi25

As few others have mentioned Suikoden III Is great and (Suikoden I and II ps1) even better have beat them over 10 times each great story and tons of options with characters, they are my favorite games.(The stories aren't related at all can play Suikoden III and understand it perfectly w/o playing others.)
Also another game for ps1 I really liked was Wild Arms <--- reminded me of Chrono trigger , And a new rpg for PS2 is a hate or love it game great story Disgaea Hour of Darkness and once you beat it can still continue to play and advance farther earn secrets etc. Last game i'll name is Breath of Fire III good story/fighting.
kakashi25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 23:20   Link #17
gohmifune

My all time favorite plot is Wild Arms 2, and Vagrant story is shaping up, though I'm not far. But WA2, is the most unique RPG I have ever played. I mean, you fight terrorism, how unique is that for a wild west/ fantasy epic.
gohmifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 00:40   Link #18
Denen Hiryu

Let us not forget, the great

Silver Star Story Complete

and

Lunar 2, Eternal Blue,

ff3/6 was good. i rely enjoyed that 1.

Don't know about everyone else but im obsessed with Japanese history, im taking comparitive civilizations in school atm, it's my fav subject

I rely liked onimusha 1/2
Denen Hiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 01:12   Link #19
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_goku4
Grandia II is another awesome game that every RPGer should play. Its both on Dreamcast and PS2 although I heard that the Dreamcast version is better. Just about everything in this game is great! The battle system is the best of any RPG out there. Trust me!! And the voice acting is just the best when it comes to games. Its all great! :gameplay is about 40 hours also.

And if you liked the battle system alone, Grandia Xtreme is a must play. Its not great with the story, and the voice actors suck on this one, but the battle get intense. I absolutley love the very last fight ( which is about 115 hours into the game; thats not a typo, I said 115 hours) where you are up against a level. 200 monstrosity(Zanothlee) and only at this point you are your party of four is around level 100. This is soley for those who love the grandia battle sytem. : gameplay time for this game is around 115 hours and more.
Another Grandia fan. Yes, grandia does have the best battle system of any RPG. Even though it's turn based, it often feels more like it's in real time. It's really too bad the story sucks in grandia 3, but grandia is the only rpg that I'd actually play for the battles. Usually they're a pain, but in the grandia series they're actually fun. I also recommend grandia 1 for psx. The story starts out average on disk 1, but gets good on the 2nd disk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
Funny how three bishoujo games made it onto the list

Kanon - One of the most emotional game I've ever played. The story is top notch, with the anime version only composing of a mere fraction of the game. The game is also much, much sadder than the anime.

Mizuiro - OMG, the anime did not give this game justice. Hiyori's storyline was butchered in the anime. Her story in the game is so, so, so sad. I cried so much

Air - There's a reason why this game was voted as the best game in Japan for two years in a row, and yes, it's a dating sim.

Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars/2173 Testament - Hands down, best story for the GBA. The only other real contender is Super Robot Wars R. If you haven't played it yet, do yourself a favor and get it. Having a great storyline is one thing, but most games lack another important factor: Character Interaction. I think it was the only GBA game to ever make me cry.

Super Robot Wars Alpha - Imagine a strategy game that takes the characters/storyline of over 15 mecha series such as Getter Robo, Mazinger Z, Evangelion, Gundams, Macross, etc and combines them all together in the same universe to form and epic storyline. Best scene ever: reinacting End of Eva, and stopping it.

Xenogears - I don't think I need to explain why.
I wouldn't think it's funny at all that 3 bishojo games make it. Some have really great plots. It's really a shame more aren't released in english.
Super robot wars alpha sounds great. I think I'll see what I can do about getting it, which will probably be nothing unless it's for dreamcast, since that's the only system I have that can play import games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi25
And a new rpg for PS2 is a hate or love it game great story Disgaea Hour of Darkness and once you beat it can still continue to play and advance farther earn secrets etc.
Disgaea is great. I just beat it the other night. Now I need to beat it again so I can get the good ending. After that I'll try to beat the cave of trials and the alternate netherworld, but I'm not looking forward to leveling up to 2000+ It took me 110 hours to beat which is by far the longest time I've spent playing and my characters' levels were only high 70s, low 80s. Maybe if I transmigrate them a few times...
well to add to the thread, I'd have to say Star Ocean 2 for psx. The story isn't groundbreaking, however, the level of interaction with the characters is. You can make couples out of any characters you want through private actions. Of course it's harder to get some characters together than others, and if you want you can screw things up between them, and have them all alone at the end. Also you can make your own items from raw materials. This includes the ability to forge checks and bond certificates. It's a great game, and I highly recommend it to anyone with either a psx or ps2.
Old 2004-03-12, 04:01   Link #20
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Best? I can't say Best because there are so many titles that are worthy to be up there with the best of em.

Kamui pointed out a couple of good ones...

Grandia 2 is responsible for making me miss my Calculus 2 midterm...(don't worry Grandia, I still love you). I played that game for 3 days around 12 hours each day. I just couldn't put it down... it was like "I'll just get to the next plot point and save..." 3 days later I beat the game and said to myself "Crap, I had a midterm this morning".

FF 6(3e) is my favorite RPG of all time because it's the first RPG I ever played... and what can I say, it was simply awesome.

The Wild Arms series is also another good one... WA 1 was great with its mixing of puzzles and good graphics(at the time... and a good musical score). For all the folks that hasn't played Wild Arms 1 yet it's getting released on the PS2 under the Title Wild Arms: Alter Code F(I believe). It's getting much better graphics and even more playable characters! Pick it up when it comes out.

Vagrant Story was a bit tedious at times but the way the characters interacted with each other... not to mention one of the best quotes from any videogame

"Shouldn't we wait for reinforcements?"

"Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements..."

Bad-ass.

Star Ocean 2 for the PSX was a great game too... what other game lets you steal from your own party members when you're all taking a break(not to mention the 70+ endings)

Xenogears had a complex and intriging storyline which I thought was very well written... most people didn't like the 2nd disk but I thought it helped carry along the storyline faster and ultimately made the game better.

Xenosaga is also shaping up to be quite the series... I can't wait for the 2nd episode.

and last but not least

War of Genesis 3, and 3 part 2.

The storyline for these two games were simply amazing. Revelation after revelation in a manner that left me saying "holy crap..." when I finished the game... with a glimmer of tear as well(coming from me, that means alot).

You guys probably never played the game because it's not in english... it's a Korean PC game- I'm pretty sure you might've seen some of the artwork for it like this one

well I better stop my ranting... too many games to list
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote