AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-05-21, 15:03   Link #261
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've wondered a bit why both sides aren't using "non-lethal" weapons like rubber bullets. The conflict seems to take place within pre-determined rules; I'm just surprised the rules seem to permit lethal weapons. I don't see many deaths on either side during the military encounters; the boy who is killed by a rebounding bullet is the first death I can remember. You'd have thought a civilian casualty, particularly the death of a child, would have resulted in some additional rules to protect bystanders. Rather than setting rules about where it's acceptable to fire their weapons, perhaps the government should just replace the weapons and the bullets with something less deadly.

I've grown to like this show much more over the past few episodes because the characters are so winning and the script so witty. In that sense it's a bit like Kure-nai which also relies on excellent writing and strong characters. In both shows the actual plot seems as much a vehicle for getting us involved with the characters as a motivation for watching in itself. That opinion is based entirely on how the anime is presented; I'd imagine the novels for Toshokan Sensou focus more on the story itself.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 16:10   Link #262
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I've wondered a bit why both sides aren't using "non-lethal" weapons like rubber bullets. The conflict seems to take place within pre-determined rules; I'm just surprised the rules seem to permit lethal weapons. I don't see many deaths on either side during the military encounters; the boy who is killed by a rebounding bullet is the first death I can remember. You'd have thought a civilian casualty, particularly the death of a child, would have resulted in some additional rules to protect bystanders. Rather than setting rules about where it's acceptable to fire their weapons, perhaps the government should just replace the weapons and the bullets with something less deadly.
The best reason I could think against rubber bullet would be accuracy, and also the fact than it is not every guns than can use rubber bullet.
Keep in mind also than the non-lethal weapons are in fact only less lethal weapons, there always a risk the incident at Vancouver's airport is a good example.
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 19:11   Link #263
nanafan
horo fan

i think they use less lethal to intimidate each other? i am not really sure, but i think it's because they don't want to many casualties
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 19:24   Link #264
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei
Assuming you're talking about Ep6, I don't think the MIB soldier killed the boy. He fired a warning shot that landed several yards away and the boy tripped in surprise. Like you've said, the death of a child would have caused a firestorm of controversy far worse than the Hino Nightmare, and it would probably have provoked a good deal more than a fist-fight from the defending Task Force members.

As for rubber bullets, that is a good question. The first obvious answer is probably that the author didn't think of it? Going by the story, on the other hand, I think it's most probably because tensions on both sides have grown well beyond whatever whatever restraints they originally had. Rubber bullets are normally associated with riot police, designed to take down mass civilian riots without causing casualties. After the fatalities of the Hino Nightmare, I think the more outspoken elements of Library Corps decided that enough was enough - if the MIB had no qualms about killing people, then they would return the "favour" in kind. In truth however, the mainstream factions on both sides would probably want to avoid deaths as far as possible - it'll be brother vs brother after all, the worse aspect of fighting a civil war. The Library Corps rationalised that if they didn't have the power to defend themselves, then they'd end up being pushed around by those in power. Once they've become an armed faction, it's very difficult to make them surrender their weapons.

Think about it - had the US had any luck persuading Americans to surrender their guns? A similar situation probably applies to this story.

Saber-rattling doesn't quite convey the same meaning when both sides know they are only "playing" with wooden swords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei
I've grown to like this show much more over the past few episodes because the characters are so winning and the script so witty. In that sense it's a bit like Kure-nai which also relies on excellent writing and strong characters. In both shows the actual plot seems as much a vehicle for getting us involved with the characters as a motivation for watching in itself. That opinion is based entirely on how the anime is presented; I'd imagine the novels for Toshokan Sensou focus more on the story itself.
I love both Kure-nai and Toshokan Sensou for different reasons.

I love Toshokan Sensou because it provokes deeper reflection on deeper sociological issues despite its apparently "silly" story. Kure-nai, on the other hand, has so far been a masterpiece of character development. In terms of art and animation direction it's difficult to say which show is better because each show is trying to communicate different moods. Toshokan S. aims for light-hearted entertainment combined with social commentary, hence the modern "manga" look, while Kure-nai feels more like a show that lounges around in a smoky cigar room with blues jazz playing in the background, because of its slightly more adult themes. Bottom-line - both shows are using their respective aesthetic styles very effectively to convey their stories.

In the end, Toshokan Sensou comes up top for me for now. It's simply the more entertaining of the two shows. But it's lead is very, very slim.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2008-05-21 at 19:39.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 17:39   Link #265
Kakulukiam
FMP*Addict
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for Episode 7 Gifs:

Spoiler for Episode 8 Gifs:

Spoiler for Episode 9 Gifs:

Spoiler for Random TS Gifs n Avatars:

Last edited by Kakulukiam; 2008-06-06 at 09:54.
Kakulukiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 18:52   Link #266
nanafan
horo fan

those are great can i take the first shibasaki?
Old 2008-05-22, 19:05   Link #267
Kakulukiam
FMP*Addict
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
those are great can i take the first shibasaki?
Thanks.

Sure you can, just help yourself.
Old 2008-05-22, 19:20   Link #268
nanafan
horo fan

sweet awsome, i give you cookies for your artistry. lol
Old 2008-05-23, 08:25   Link #269
Kakulukiam
FMP*Addict
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
sweet awsome, i give you cookies for your artistry. lol
Thanks for the cookies.

New gifs added to #265
Old 2008-05-23, 08:47   Link #270
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Lol! I see you've managed to capture the images used in the new Flash game on the official site. It'll be great if you could capture Shibasaki with her cat-ears too. I wish I knew how to play the game. The instructions are in Japanese. Anyone care to explain?

By the way, Shibasaki's multiple spectacles are on sale. Check out the blog on the official website. Haha, anime merchandising takes a very interesting turn. It's cool to be geek!

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2008-05-23 at 09:15. Reason: Shibasaki's glasses
Old 2008-05-23, 11:29   Link #271
Kakulukiam
FMP*Addict
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
1. "Fahrenheit 451" is known under the same title in Japan, as "華氏451度" to be exact, i.e. "Fahrenheit 451 degrees", and not under "505K" as 4Tran guessed.
[/SIZE]
It's a joke. Same for Mc Donalds becoming Wac Dnalds.

"トランスフア K505" simply points to "Transfer K505" from F which is exactly 505,777K

Maybe the reasons for this are simpler than expected. Copyright, ec.

@TinyRedLeaf
Consider it done.

You don't need any japanese knowledge to understand this game. All you have to do is to sort the books by numbers and colors before they reach the bottom. Quite amusing.
Old 2008-05-23, 14:42   Link #272
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
I found there have been several misunderstandings on the settings of the world in translators. Perhaps it could be somehow beneficial if I re-iterate the explanation.

In Japanese legal system, libraries except NDL are under the control of regional governments. This is why the directional authority of librarians is separated from the Committee, which is a subsidiary organ of Ministry of Justice. And that is also why the librarians' activity is limited to the local area they belong to and they have relatively less budget than the opponents.

The Committee has no arms by itself. It is the 良化特務機関 (Betterment Task Force) that takes guns to fight against librarians. It accompanies a number of civil groups supporting the censorship policy of the Committee. Bakushuukai, which kidnapped Mr. Inamura, is on of the wingnut groups.

Ministry of Justice
┗Media Betterment Committee
 ┗Betterment Task Force
  ┗Extremist groups supporting the censorship

Regional Governments
┗Public Libraries
 ┗Library Defence Force

As TinyRedLeaf suggests, neither the librarians or the Committee is monolithic. On the librarians side, there are at least three factions; fundamentalists sticking to the independence of libraries; loyalists obedient to the regional govenments; and revolutionalists trying to make the libraries the state organs full of power. I don't know precisely on the Committee's side, but it's fact that the Committee does not always hold the control over the fanatic followers. I think the anime series might not touch the detail, though.

Besides, I found it amusing to see that Iku's base library (Musashino First Lib) takes its model from the NDL and the Library of Children's Literature. Ep 1 shows the interior just same as this.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 14:53   Link #273
nanafan
horo fan

wow thanks for the info there liber i think i get it more where the task force stands against the MIB, and those avatars are awesome kaku did you make that batch by yourself? they are tooo cute!
Old 2008-05-23, 15:50   Link #274
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
By the way, Shibasaki's multiple spectacles are on sale. Check out the blog on the official website. Haha, anime merchandising takes a very interesting turn. It's cool to be geek!
Hmm. At those prices they must not include prescription lenses, or glasses are a lot cheaper in Japan. I wear a pair that looks like an inverted version of the third choice on the blog page. Mine have the dark frames on top and are frameless on the bottom. I like Shibasaki's version as well, but I'd bet a man's pair with frames on the bottom would end up looking too clunky or too feminine. As I said when I posted that gif a while back, I only wished she'd put on her glasses at the end of that sequence in the mirror.

Shibasaki is in a class by herself when it comes to meganekko characters. She's sexy as hell with her glasses on yet looks nothing like traditional moe meganekkos like Takara Miyuki from Lucky*Star. If Haruka or Aoi from Moyashimon had worn glasses they might have given Shibasaki a run for her money, but in the end I still think she'd be the champion in her division.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 16:23   Link #275
nanafan
horo fan

shibasaki has some sweet pairs of glasses! i need to get a new pair too, if only i had the money i would love to buy one of hers or something like hers lol, i like her character a lot, she's somewhat feminine but not really. i wish we could know more about her too
Old 2008-05-23, 18:33   Link #276
Traece
:cool:

I enjoyed episode 06 way too much. I couldn't stop laughing about the story regarding Lt. Dojou.
How often do trenched firefights suddenly turn in to full-fledged fistfights? Never bring a knife to a gunfight, and I don't even know how you would peg this one? Don't go unarmed against a line of troops? Ah... This is why I love anime. xD Random fights.
Old 2008-05-23, 18:48   Link #277
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Hmm. At those prices they must not include prescription lenses, or glasses are a lot cheaper in Japan.
The price include lenses, unless you want addtional functions such as UV care or extra thinness. These days it is not rare to see glasses at less than 5 000 JPY, though the quality may correspond to the price.

Asako Shibasaki has been so far described more, say, softly in anime than in the novels... She is so beautiful, intelligent and prideful women that she tends to be isolated from the mob people. To keep company with both enviers and worshipers, she always calculates her behaviour and play a modest personality. But Iku never requires such care - that's why Shibasaki feel the friendship so precious. I am not sure if the aspect will be depicted in the succeeding shows. One season is short to catch all the story.

And, Ms. Sawashiro's acting is great. I cannot believe Shibasaki is the same person as Petit Charat.

@Traece

Supposing he had a knife, nonetheless he would not (or even should not) use it, I think.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 20:44   Link #278
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Episode 6 reminded me of Street Fighter, especially when Genda did the suplex of a BTF operator who tried to attack him. LOL!

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 23:54   Link #279
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri
Asako Shibasaki has been so far described more, say, softly in anime than in the novels... She is so beautiful, intelligent and prideful women that she tends to be isolated from the mob people. To keep company with both enviers and worshipers, she always calculates her behaviour and play a modest personality. But Iku never requires such care - that's why Shibasaki feel the friendship so precious. I am not sure if the aspect will be depicted in the succeeding shows. One season is short to catch all the story.
Heh, they do say that "men are from Mars and women are from Venus." If she wants to, I'm pretty sure Shibasaki can easily become a top-class man-eater. Smart, beautiful, extremely well-informed, and not to mention, slyly manipulative. At the risk of sounding like a male chauvinist pig, I find that many women do in fact behave like that in real life. These kinds of women are the true feminists of the modern era, unlike more "militant" feminists like Germaine Greer. Shibasaki represents those ladies who understand the full power of the female wile and aren't afraid to utilise the full range of tools at their disposal.

If you think I'm exaggerating, observe closely the next time you see your female friends gather together, ostensibly having a good time. You'd be amazed by the number of poker faces on display. If you're a man working in a predominantly female environment, you best make sure you don't offend any of your female colleagues - you'll never know until it hits you in the back when you least expect it.

So, it's not surprising why Shibasaki values Kasahara as a friend. Kasahara may be a playful tomboy who is not afraid of speaking her own mind, but she remains, at heart, a sweet little girl chasing after her Prince Charming. Kasahara is girly enough to be a girlfriend, but "man" enough for Shibasaki to behave honestly while hanging out with her. Best friends like Kasahara are hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri
And, Ms. Sawashiro's acting is great. I cannot believe Shibasaki is the same person as Petit Charat.
Not just Ms Sawashiro (Shibasaki), but Ms Inoue (Kasahara) as well. Inoue-san is carrying the bulk of the show with her superb performance, switching effortlessly from "insecure teenager" to "playful tomboy" and "passionate activist" within a single episode. Her range of emotions and her grasp of Kasahara's personality is top-notch. Inoue-san's acting is most definitely one of the highlights of this show.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2008-05-24 at 00:04.
Old 2008-05-24, 14:06   Link #280
Dop
Mmmm....

I loved the Fahrenheit 451 reference in episode 6.
Definitely there for the people who got it!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noitamina, production i.g.