Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2022-03-03, 20:38   Link #201
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Langrisser View Post
You probably mean the Wagner Group ? There was rumors about its possible appearance, but Wagner is more or less a front for the Russian army when they want to operate somewhere "incognito".
I did thougth of the possibility but wasn't the ''incognito'' part useless when they were in Syria?
Old 2022-03-03, 22:28   Link #202
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
*checks your location* How are you and your family holding up? Are you going to flee, stay in Ukraine and keep your head low or stay and fight?
My close family is not in Ukraine, thankfully. Me personally is in another part of the country at the moment. I already have helped our forces (cannot specify how exactly as it is a wartime now), but I plan to move further tomorrow.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-03, 22:47   Link #203
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post

There, fixed it for you. The plan is to have the average russian millenial, who probably does not see television and even if he knows english is not interested in foreign affairs to notice something is wrong with putin's goverment.

As for non-russians using russian internet infraestructure, many pirate sites (including those that stream anime) fled to russia. Legit users should be moving outside russia atm imo.
Irrelevant now anyway since ICANN seems to have rejected it.

And please let's not bring the can of worms that's piracy and whether it is actually harmful or not into this

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
This appeared in my twitter feed, I think it is real because you can't make up something this fucked up:

https://twitter.com/tenichi08/status...92855837736961
That's why I mentioned earlier they apparently have no lines of communication or long range radios. The entire invasion force is headless. You'd think this was some weirdly twisted way to carry out a Stalinist purge of the military
Old 2022-03-04, 00:07   Link #204
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The BBC seems to be setting up some shortwave radio channels that can keep information flowing into Ukraine and Russia like they use to during World War II.
Old 2022-03-04, 01:23   Link #205
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The BBC seems to be setting up some shortwave radio channels that can keep information flowing into Ukraine and Russia like they use to during World War II.
Well Musk sent in Starlink gear...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-04, 01:51   Link #206
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
AJ video on Thai fighters being recruited in Ukraine.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-04, 04:11   Link #207
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Russian forces have taken over Ukraine's and thus Eastern Europe's largest nuclear power plant after a big fight. Luckily enough they didn't wreck the place, god knows what would have happened if the plant exploded.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-04, 06:25   Link #208
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14561765

Looks like the presence of Japanese volunteers heading to Eastern Europe sparked a debate. It's helpful to understand if you're aware of the history regarding the JSDF and Article 9.

Quote:
Scores of Japanese answered a Ukrainian call for foreign volunteers to fight Russia’s invasion, prompting the Japanese government to move to stop them from doing so by citing earlier travel and evacuation warnings.

Seventy or so individuals responded to the call from the Embassy of Ukraine in Japan to join the International Legion of Territorial Defense of Ukraine. Of them, about 50 are former members of the Self-Defense Forces.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy vowed Feb. 27 to form a foreign legion consisting of volunteers.

The embassy then posted his message in Japanese on its Twitter account, calling those willing to volunteer to contact the embassy.

The embassy on Feb. 28 added a post explaining that a key qualification for acceptance was to have professional military training experience, which would account for the quick response from former SDF personnel.

Sergiy Korsunsky, the Ukrainian ambassador, said during a TV program aired on the evening of March 1 that the embassy had received about 70 applications from Japan, of which 50 were from former SDF members.

The Japanese government moved swiftly to block Japanese volunteers from going to war.

Foreign Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi said at a March 1 news conference that the government had taken note of the embassy’s posts.

Citing an evacuation advisory issued by the government before President Vladimir Putin followed through on his threat to invade Ukraine, Hayashi said, “Please do not travel to (Ukraine) regardless of purpose.”

Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno said at a news conference March 2 the central government had reminded the embassy that a travel warning has been issued for Ukraine.

Tweets posted in the embassy’s account regarding the Zelenskyy’s call for volunteer soldiers were deleted soon afterward.

At least one member of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party was quick to take issue with the government’s position.

Seishiro Eto, who chairs the party’s Research Commission on Foreign Affairs, revealed that dissent flared during a joint meeting held March 2 that included members of the Foreign Affairs Division.

He said that one attendee stated, “If some people want to go, we should let them go.”

Eto, 80, said he opposed such action because the issue is not limited to Ukraine alone.

“If a similar situation occurs elsewhere and the countries concerned request Japan to send a voluntary army, we would not be able to say no,” he said.

Hiroyuki Miyazawa, the LDP’s director of the National Defense Division, told The Asahi Shimbun that he was the individual who told the meeting that the government “should not stop volunteer soldiers.”

“Due to the Constitution and its position that we are a nation of peace, Japan cannot send troops, nor supply weapons to (Ukraine),” Miyazawa said. “Given these circumstances, we should respect the will of those who have applied (to join Ukraine). We should pay utmost respect to the fact that there are people with such intentions.”

Miyazawa said that “if such enthusiasm arises among the (Japanese) people in case of an emergency situation in Taiwan, the government (would be powerless) to stop it.”

In 2019, the Metropolitan Police Department in Tokyo referred the cases of five people to prosecutors that included a former Hokkaido University student and a journalist for planning to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State as combatants. The charges were later dropped.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2022-03-04, 08:15   Link #209
Key Board
Carbon

I have a suspicion that Russia might try to lure the UN and NATO in with Cherynobyl and now Zaporizhzhia

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-04, 09:06   Link #210
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

That'd be interesting to keep an eye on.

----

Chatter in South Korea with the volunteers. Despite the MND not saying anything and the legal repercussions include the Passport Act and the Military Services Act as a potential measure, a lot of South Koreans made calls to the embassy and made inquiries.

Old 2022-03-04, 10:06   Link #211
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
That's why I mentioned earlier they apparently have no lines of communication or long range radios. The entire invasion force is headless. You'd think this was some weirdly twisted way to carry out a Stalinist purge of the military
IMO that is unlikely since you purge top officials, not the cannon fodder.

IMO after two decades in charge, putin pumped money into the military, but also injected cronyism and many relatively young middle range officers have no interest in being in a war, they only enrolled for the paycheck.

Also, chances are their "plan" was invading thru the east flank and clashing directly with the Ukranian army (they have been broadcasting for months this invasion) and having heavy casualties, then using the 25% that has not invaded the country to push forward and place all the dead soldiers in mass graves and call in the internatinal press to see the proof of the "Ukranian nazi mass genocide against the people living in the donbass region".
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-04, 11:44   Link #212
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
My close family is not in Ukraine, thankfully. Me personally is in another part of the country at the moment. I already have helped our forces (cannot specify how exactly as it is a wartime now), but I plan to move further tomorrow.
Glad to hear your close family is safe, I wist you best of luck hope you reach safety soon.
Old 2022-03-04, 12:55   Link #213
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I have a suspicion that Russia might try to lure the UN and NATO in with Cherynobyl and now Zaporizhzhia

//
I think it might all depend on when China decides this has gone too far. If China were to change tune and support a "Unity for Peace" resolution on the UN general assembly than maybe we could see blue helmets going into Ukraine as a stabilizing force (like they did before in the Korean War or the Suez Crisis for example).
Old 2022-03-04, 13:09   Link #214
AnimeFan188

NATO Officially Rejects Appeals For Ukraine No-Fly Zone

"A no-fly zone over Ukraine would require NATO to be willing to shoot down Russian
aircraft, presenting a real risk of sparking a wider conflict."

See:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ne-no-fly-zone

=========================================

Guns for hire: How shadowy Wagner Group mercenaries support
Russian soldiers in Ukraine conflict

"More likely than not, said Mr Trad, the Wagner fighters are being positioned for what
Russia anticipates as the dirty war that will come after a potential Kremlin victory, as
pockets of Ukrainian guerillas create obstacles to Moscow consolidating its power and
installing a puppet regime."

See:

https://news.yahoo.com/guns-hire-sha...161647389.html

Sen. Lindsey Graham urges Russians to target Vladimir Putin: "The
only way this ends is … to take this guy out"

"Senator Lindsey Graham on Thursday called for someone in Russia to "take out"
President Vladimir Putin, asking on Twitter, "Is there a Brutus in Russia?" Graham's
comments come as Europe's largest nuclear power plant was attacked Friday and
taken over by Russian forces that invaded Ukraine,"

See:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lindsey...-this-guy-out/

Russian Forces Now Occupy Europe's Largest Nuclear Plant In Ukraine

"The director of the IAEA says the situation is unprecedented and he wants to broker
nuclear security talks between Russia and Ukraine at Chernobyl."

See:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ant-in-ukraine

Volodymyr Zelensky Survives Three Assassination Attempts in One Week

"Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky has survived three assassination attempts in
one week after his security team was warned ahead of time about the danger to his
life."

See:

https://www.newsweek.com/volodymyr-z...ve-war-1684801

Elon Musk Just Realized Starlink Units in Ukraine Are Airstrike Magnets

"After trumpeting the delivery of Starlink satellite internet terminals to Ukraine Saturday,
Feb. 26, Elon Musk appeared to have a sudden realization Thursday of the dangers that
several electronic warfare experts have been warning about all week: His Starlink
internet system — in which a user connects to the internet directly through a satellite
overhead, using a satellite dish — could be a nearly perfect targeting beacon for Russian
airstrikes."

See:

https://coffeeordie.com/musk-starlin...ine-airstrike/

Putin may finally be giving the US something it really wants: a Europe
that can actually defend itself

"Thanks to Putin's recklessness, the US may finally have something it has desired for
decades: a Europe that takes its defense seriously."

See:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...elf/ar-AAUC7Qx

This Is Our First Tragic Look At All That's Left Of Ukraine's Giant
An-225 Cargo jet

"The entire front of what was the world's largest operational aircraft is totally destroyed
and its wings and engines are badly damaged."

See:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...riya-cargo-jet

Germany to send Soviet-made anti-aircraft missiles to Ukraine

"The government “approved further support for Ukraine”, involving the delivery of
STRELA-type anti-aircraft missiles of Soviet manufacture, which were previously used
by the army of communist East Germany, the source said."

See:

https://www.defencetalk.com/germany-...ukraine-78247/

War in Ukraine Brings Out Scammers Trying to Exploit Donations

"The world has responded to Russia's invasion of Ukraine with an outpouring of support
for the Ukrainian people. That hasn't escaped the notice of scammers, who are all too
willing to take advantage of people's desire to help."

See:

https://www.cnet.com/news/war-in-ukr...oit-donations/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-04, 18:24   Link #215
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Let's take a quick look at putin's three present objectives.

1. Annihilate Ukraine's military force.While in the realm of the possible, it is utterly futile since they would rebuild with western help when the invasion is over.
2. Place in Kiev a pro-putin puppet government. Again, in the realm of the possible, again utterly futile. Any pro-russian sentiments ukranians might have had in the past have been erased by the invasion and any puppet goverment will fall harder than in afganhistan because Ukraine has a bigger territory and population.
3. Deporting "dangerous nationalists". Quite feasible if by that they mean a few actual key players in the government, but they will be hard pressed to find people that collaborate with whoever is put in their place.

There are similarities between putin and a shark, both can only move forward, even if is means they are getting deeper into a trap.

Last edited by mangamuscle; 2022-03-04 at 19:23.
Old 2022-03-04, 18:28   Link #216
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

A new iron curtain is descending across Russia’s Internet

On Friday, online access was curtailed by both Russian censors and Western businesses as the war in Ukraine became a reason for moves that limited free access to the Internet

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...cogent-cutoff/
-----------------------
Facebook And Twitter Have Been Blocked In Russia

Russia’s communications regulator said it blocked Facebook because of “discrimination against Russian media and information resources." Twitter was blocked shortly after.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...cebook-twitter
-----------------------
Microsoft Halts All New Sales in Russia

Apple isn’t the only tech behemoth pulling its products from the Russian market in response to the invasion of Ukraine. Microsoft is ‘suspending‘ all new sales of products and services in Russia.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/03/04/mi...les-in-russia/
Old 2022-03-04, 19:06   Link #217
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Is Chernobyl Dangerous Again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbrh7KOyuRY
Old 2022-03-04, 19:47   Link #218
Key Board
Carbon

Isolating their internet means they have lost the propaganda war online

But I wonder if that means they can use even more brutal methods now

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-05, 14:25   Link #219
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

The Ruble ended friday at an all time low:

And the stock market is worthless while is closed and will crash so hard when it is reponed again.

Putin is a one trick pony that only knows how to bully, that trick has already failed and now he is saying sanctions introduced on Russia are equal to a "declaration of war" in hopes of the west lifting sanctions. putin has gone full retarded mode, expect him to take the stupid course of action again and again.
Old 2022-03-05, 23:05   Link #220
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Visa, Mastercard suspend operations in Russia over Ukraine invasion

https://www.reuters.com/business/fin...on-2022-03-05/

They are going back to good old paper money, so they can feel first hand how inflation hits their hard earned money. How long before they announce price controls and go back to the glory days of a soviet centralized economy?