AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-11-21, 23:07   Link #1
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Alternative IRC clients / Recommendations and Suggestions

What are the good alternative clients to mIRC?

I have tried Visual IRC. It is quite good except for copy and paste feature. For a strange reason, it copies strange characters to the clipboard.
SleeplessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 23:26   Link #2
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

X-Chat is the answer you're looking for. I've used both it and mIRC before and I like X-Chat much better personally.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 04:46   Link #3
Ending

Mozilla comes with an IRC client, and as far as I care it does the job simply enough.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 16:49   Link #4
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

Tracer script is a good mirc client but may be hard to find.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 23:17   Link #5
GG_Luna128
Far, far away...

I use I-n-v-i-s-i-o-n , it's ugly and outdated but it works.
GG_Luna128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 00:14   Link #6
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Tracer script and Invision are "just" scripts for the mIRC irc client and no irc clients.
JustAnotherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 08:17   Link #7
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
scripted mIRC clients suck ass because of mIRC's bad memory usage... it caches everything (even useless stuff) in memory. I use mIRC myself, but if you wanna try something else Roots suggestions (X-Chat) is best. It supports perl scripts =)
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 08:38   Link #8
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Thanks for all suggestions.

X-chat seems to be a "bare-to-bone" type of interface, like a Unix terminal. It is not my kind of preference. I prefer complex clients with a lot of dialog options, toolbars and advance interface for downloading from dcc servers.
Old 2004-11-23, 08:52   Link #9
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

... well you won't find many options out there. If you use any browser based on the Gecko engine (like Mozilla or Firefox) you might want to try Chatzilla, however I don't think this is what you are searching for...
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 18:36   Link #10
xargon

give upp script a try for mirc. I use that and it is really good.
www.upp-irc.tk
xargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 05:40   Link #11
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart

X-chat seems to be a "bare-to-bone" type of interface, like a Unix terminal. It is not my kind of preference. I prefer complex clients with a lot of dialog options, toolbars and advance interface for downloading from dcc servers.
I have tried all clients (most pop ones) and I like irssi the best =) But then again irssi is console program and doesn't run on windows so your best bet with windows is http://www.klient.com/
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 07:39   Link #12
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
Telnet works too =P
you'll just have to do all the raw commands yourself lol
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 07:42   Link #13
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

klient looks interesting. Its appearance may be less beautiful than Visual IRC, but it looks more organized like typical commercial windows applications. I will give it a try.
How stable is it?
Old 2004-11-24, 19:29   Link #14
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
How stable is it?
Pretty stable (didn't crash on me even once, but then again I didn't use it so much).
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-25, 10:34   Link #15
xargon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forse
I have tried all clients (most pop ones) and I like irssi the best =) But then again irssi is console program and doesn't run on windows so your best bet with windows is http://www.klient.com/
irssi works on windows to, you have to emulate it. (http://www.cygwin.com/)
xargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-25, 13:45   Link #16
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:

Umm, X-chat as far as I know has all that functionality and more. At least its been able to do everything I've ever wanted it to do, and you can install plug-in scripts and stuff. I don't consider it a "bare bones" interface by any means.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 01:28   Link #17
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

Trillian Pro 2 (and alpha 3) has a preinstalled IRC plugin for IRCing. It's buggy on alpha pro 3, but it's awesome on pro 2. I'm thinking the free version of Trillian has IRC also, but it probably doesn't look as good or function as well.

Before I bought Trillian Pro for its amazing features (not just IRC) I used mIRC. On Linux I use X-Chat, although I enjoyed mIRC over it.

Screenshot of Trillian Pro 3 IRC.
(it's the window in the right, transparent--the screenshot was originally made to show just Trillian 3, but it does have the IRC there)
velocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 02:40   Link #18
ojisan59
ojisan

IRC for Mac? The pain!

I'm a raw & quivering n00b on a Mac G4 Osx 3.9, and Azureus has served me well - till my Paradise Kiss addiction. Fansub group IY4ever has the final episodes, and they're evidently never going to fix their dead bittorrent archive because they favour irc. My nose is pressed against the glass...

So, no mIRC program for Macs, but there's a Mac version called ircle. IY4ever nicely has an mIRC tutorial on their site. I fired up ircle & found...the interfaces (at least to n00b eyes) are very different. And the IRC-download with Xbot scene is deeply baffling to such as I.

I know I can wait for the wonderful folks at Frothbite to get around to finishing the series & making it available thru bittorrent, but is there another workaround - maybe better Mac/IRC software or solution? Onegaishimasu
ojisan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 02:54   Link #19
ojisan59
ojisan

IRC for Mac? The pain!

I'm a n00b. And I'm on a Mac G4 osx 3.9, and bittorrent has always done me well. BUT -

Then came Paradise Kiss. I'm up to episode 8 and the final four episodes are at IY4ever fansubs. They've given up on bittorrent (their archive went down, forever it seems) because they favour IRC. Fine. There's no mIRC program for macs, but I found a program called ircle that does it for macs, and I went to the IY4ever IRC tutorial page.

Well, (1) the interfaces are reall different so the tutorial's pretty well useless, and (2) to a no00b such as I, the IRC environment is about as intuitive as piloting a nuclear submarine.

Yes, I could wait till the fine people of Frothbite get around to doing the rest of Paradise Kiss & put it up on bittorrent, but till then, is there btter Mac software for IRC? Or any other way to get at the final four epsodes of a really great series? that doesn't involve waiting four months or so? Thanks -
Old 2006-03-23, 03:02   Link #20
ojisan59
ojisan

Okay, I reposted in Tech Support - gomen

- we were all beginners once.

Tags
irc, software