AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-02, 00:27   Link #181
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Botan says Puhi Puhi...but has to be cute. :S
Old 2010-04-03, 03:38   Link #182
Kakkou
Tch.

I don't listen to dubs much, but from what I've heard of the Clannad dub, I think Tomoya's voice is okay. A bit older than it should but still bearable. Nagisa's felt off, but may get used to it. Tomoyo's is... alright. Kyou's is bad and really old. Ryou sounded sort of okay but the acting felt superficial. Sunohara's voice however, was complete shit. What was his name, Greg Ayers was it? Yeah, I hated him as Chrno, loathed him as Negi Springfield and when I thought it couldn't be shittier his Sunohara proved me wrong. It's people like him that make me think lowly of dubs. I still need to get around hearing the other voices but right now it's not as bad as I thought (Sunohara excluded).
Old 2010-04-03, 19:33   Link #183
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
It's not a good idea to post anything illegal on here or even mention it. Be careful.
Arent fansubs illegal too though?

If thats the case, this whole website is one big case of illegal isnt it?

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection
Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Old 2010-04-03, 19:56   Link #184
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

No.

If the anime has not been licensed, then fansubs are legal.

Otherwise, yes, they are.
Old 2010-04-03, 21:02   Link #185
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Naruto View Post
Arent fansubs illegal too though?

If thats the case, this whole website is one big case of illegal isnt it?
Fansubs are created for series that are not licensed. Fansubs become illegal as soon as a series is licensed. If a series is dubbed, it means it's licensed. Hence it being illegal. If you search this site for an older series that has been licensed, you'll notice that the fansubs have been removed.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-04-04, 04:18   Link #186
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Oh I see. How come some sites like Toon Zone treat all fansubs illegal though, even if they have not been licensed in the U.S. yet?

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection
Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Old 2010-04-04, 12:58   Link #187
hinakatbklyn

I'm going back to reviewing the dub, and my worst fears have been realized. Despite all the majority B+, A dubs in the series, one dub has literally lowered my overall grade more than moderately. While it sounds like there are alot of negative Sunohara reviews, I already knew of how his dub sounded in the past and I thought of no one else who could fit the role so I gave him a very lenient C+.

However, I will not be lenient one bit with Kyou's dub. She may have enough energy in her to fit the role of Kyou, but her voicing Kyou (I'll let my expression speak for itself ) If there was a way to change one voice without changing the rest of the dub (since I thought they were very good) I would be all for it.
Old 2010-04-06, 16:17   Link #188
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Fansubs are created for series that are not licensed. Fansubs become illegal as soon as a series is licensed. If a series is dubbed, it means it's licensed. Hence it being illegal. If you search this site for an older series that has been licensed, you'll notice that the fansubs have been removed.
Actually, that's not correct. International copyright allow applies to all signatory states of the Berne convention and the Universal Copyright Convention (more info on that here). Fansubs are as illegal before west license as they are after it. There is a so-called gentleman agreement between the fansubers and Japanese license holders that fansubs can help boost sales of anime by allowing samples of their work to be viewable to a certain segment of the population beforehand, and as such license holders most of the time does not push charges and turn a blind eye to this. However, that is not always true, and nowadays it seems that Japanese companies are starting to think otherwise, like the recent case with ADV productions requesting all fansubs and distribution efforts of their works to stop.
Old 2010-04-06, 16:59   Link #189
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Actually, that's not correct. International copyright allow applies to all signatory states of the Berne convention and the Universal Copyright Convention (more info on that here). Fansubs are as illegal before west license as they are after it. There is a so-called gentleman agreement between the fansubers and Japanese license holders that fansubs can help boost sales of anime by allowing samples of their work to be viewable to a certain segment of the population beforehand, and as such license holders most of the time does not push charges and turn a blind eye to this. However, that is not always true, and nowadays it seems that Japanese companies are starting to think otherwise, like the recent case with ADV productions requesting all fansubs and distribution efforts of their works to stop.
Ah I see, legalities are not my strength Thanks for clearing that up though, I'd +rep you if I could but it seems like I already have some time ago.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-04-06, 20:24   Link #190
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hmm... it seems to cost as much as the regular dvds that are running around. Well, I just look at Amazon for these things.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-04-10, 00:27   Link #191
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

I thought the dub was alright some of the voices will take some time to get used too especially Sunohara's voice.

Old 2010-04-10, 02:07   Link #192
Seripha
Dango,Dango,Dango........

Send a message via AIM to Seripha Send a message via MSN to Seripha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Uh, isn't that... the correct way to say it?
(Nah-gi-sah)
Not (Nah-giss-ah) which is how I meant to type it lol.

Kind of like how you would pronounce my name, Melissa.
Old 2010-04-13, 10:30   Link #193
Yuuki97

I didn't mind the dubs at all!
Kyou and tomoyo's voice should of switched round in my oppinion, i didn't mind sunohara's voice i think it suited him!

My Favourite anime girlssssss
Old 2010-04-15, 13:57   Link #194
cyberdemon

I think I'm starting to get used to Sunohara's voice. It's been growing on me the last few episodes.
Old 2010-04-15, 22:18   Link #195
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

....eh.

I still can't see Sunohara like that. :/
Old 2010-04-16, 01:33   Link #196
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
I've gotten used to the voices by now, all of them. Even Kyou and Sunohara. Kotomi, who actually gets a whole conversation in this week's episodes, is really well done from the little tidbits and I will apologize to Emily Neves for doubting her...next week when the Kotomi arc starts and she's the focus for more than a three minute scene.

Really, I like the dub, but I still find myself nitpicking it to hell. Because I care too much, I swear! Little tiny things that I only notice because I'm too invested. Not the names, I'm over "Na-GI-sa" already. Things like...

-- Tomoya's dad refers to him as "son" for one line in episode two. Irked me because they already had to scrap the "-kun" thing.

-- Fuko never gives her name, Tomoya (and later Nagisa) picks it out of thin air. Fuko refers to herself in third person in Japanese, so because she doesn't here there's a minor continuity error there.

-- Nagisa refers to the sculpture as a starfish before it's "revealed." She then, in a later scene, refers to it as a "star," before the joke that she always knew it was a starfish.

-- Tomoya, in episode 7, starts calling Nagisa, "Nagisa," for a couple references (one comforting her, one during a conversation with Kouko) before reverting back to "Furukawa."

Big things? No, not at all (well, maybe the Nagisa one, but I'll give that a pass...I will not, however, give a pass if Nagisa does the inverse). I have more, but that these are my biggest critiques I think says enough about how I feel about the overall quality. I feel there could and perhaps should be more polish, but it's been a good job so far.

Last edited by VRMN; 2010-04-16 at 01:45.
Old 2010-04-16, 01:44   Link #197
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

The voices were laughably bad in the first episode, but over time, it seems like the actors became more comfortable their roles and started to really feel their characters. The only real problems I've had so far were with Sunohora and Kyou. Are they really not aware they're voicing teenagers here?
Old 2010-04-16, 14:22   Link #198
Kai the Sky King

So, due to some life issues, I had to leave home for a while and arrived a few days ago, thus haven't been able to watch the episodes uploaded on Demand. Since then, though, I've watched episode 5 I'm currently watching 6, and will watch 7 and 8 soon. I'll probably put up another big post on what I think of everything so far.

Almost wasn't able to find the episodes at all, seeing as Time Warner Cable decided to switch up the channel #s and I though that I had lost Anime Network, but it's all good now.
Old 2010-04-16, 14:23   Link #199
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Oh shit, that reminds me, this might be on Comcast too. I haven't even gotten past episode 3 yet.

EDIT: Ah, nope. Could've sworn this was Funimation.
Old 2010-04-18, 04:06   Link #200
Yuuki97

I think sunohara's voice suits him!
(little like gohan or goten from DBZ though )

My Favourite anime girlssssss
Closed Thread