AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-06-18, 02:44   Link #2021
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna.F.Seiei View Post
An real live action movie? It might take more than yrs for tat to happen!! by the way....do anyone of you know where i can order or buy the shonen gangan with the last chpt of FMA?? i reali wan the memorial clock!!! i m living in malaysia so i don't have any clue where i can find it......plz!! somebody juz help me!! memorial clock.............
Try amazon.co.jp. Between the option on the first page to view the site "in English" (mainly affects buttons and the menu bar) and Google Translate, you should be able to figure it out. Just make sure you get issue 7 (June 11 release date).

I wouldn't be surprised if the clock is only a first printing thing, though. Better do it quick.
Old 2010-06-18, 08:40   Link #2022
mark1246

Dear King Bradley fan please help me understand something!

Know we know that the Homunculi use their philosopher stone to regenerate wounds brought upon them by their enemy. But Bradley didn’t have any of his wounds heal! I know he was a human at first but look at Lin when he turns to greed, he had his wound regenerated. And what the deal with him turning old after scar killed him, was he living past his limit as a human? Please can anyone tell me this dilemma? And thank you if you can.
mark1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 11:10   Link #2023
speez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1246 View Post

Know we know that the Homunculi use their philosopher stone to regenerate wounds brought upon them by their enemy. But Bradley didn’t have any of his wounds heal! I know he was a human at first but look at Lin when he turns to greed, he had his wound regenerated. And what the deal with him turning old after scar killed him, was he living past his limit as a human? Please can anyone tell me this dilemma? And thank you if you can.
They it was never 100% expained, there's a few clues left along the way to come up with an idea.

When Bradley was turned into a homoculus, he tried to fight off the philosopher stone. In doing so he may have drained it's power so now he's a homoculus with a drained stone, he now ages and does not regenerate.

On the other hand Ling fully accepted his stone. No fighting it off. So he got the regenerating powers. At the same time Ling and Greed both exist inside the body while Bradley did say he wasn't sure if he was the original soul in the body or if he's like a soul from the stone.
speez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 21:50   Link #2024
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1246 View Post

It's clearly stated when Bradley was telling Mustang his history, before Team Mustang was split up and Riza was forced to be Bradley's assistant, that when the man who would be Bradley was through fighting his internal battle with the Wrath Philosopher Stone, there was only one soul left, and even he didn't know whose it was (his or Wrath's). Now, since he had the baseline homunculus buffs to strength and agility, in addition to the Ultimate Eye, along with the sick amount of training that he went through and experience gained in battles since, he was on par with any other homunculus in ability. But, since he only had one soul, and that's what the homunculi use to repair their injuries, he had to heal himself the old fashion way (not that it was ever likely an issue).

Lin's battle with Greed, on the other hand, was cut short before any appreciable loss of souls could occur due to Lin letting Greed win. So GreedLin has all the recovery ability of any of the other homunculi.

Bradley's hair went white as an additional indicator that he was dying. He wouldn't disintegrate, since he had a primarily human body, but they still needed to show some kind of change once his powers left him. It's never really stated just how old he is, but even if he is of an age where dark hair is normal, his body has been through much more than even someone 100 years old could endure.
Old 2010-06-18, 22:10   Link #2025
Setsuna.F.Seiei
Gundam Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Try amazon.co.jp. Between the option on the first page to view the site "in English" (mainly affects buttons and the menu bar) and Google Translate, you should be able to figure it out. Just make sure you get issue 7 (June 11 release date).

I wouldn't be surprised if the clock is only a first printing thing, though. Better do it quick.
But there's no "In Stock"...juz a bunch of "available form this seller".......sigh.....might as well try to find it in my country.....anyway, thanks guigon!!!
Setsuna.F.Seiei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 15:54   Link #2026
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Not all. Only Pride and Envy where seen to be able to devour others to replenish their soul stock. Pride kind of has all abilities of the Homunculi (his shadow can see way beyond his shota container = Wrath, he defends = Greed and attacks = Lust with them etc.). Sorta at least.

So I guess, it was just not possible with Wrath. When Gluttony is out of souls he gets reborn after all instead of just getting fed a philosopher's stone or two.

Also having Wrath being able to age had it's advantages, too. That way he could be the Fuhrer without raising suspicion.

Last edited by zebra; 2010-06-19 at 18:03.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 17:48   Link #2027
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Bradley's hair went white as an additional indicator that he was dying. He wouldn't disintegrate, since he had a primarily human body, but they still needed to show some kind of change once his powers left him. It's never really stated just how old he is, but even if he is of an age where dark hair is normal, his body has been through much more than even someone 100 years old could endure.
He's 60/61. He's mentioned it multiple times himself (ie: When he fought Greed and his chimeras in Devil's Nest. He says something along the lines of this to greed:

"I'm turning sixty this year. When you get to be as old as I am, the body doesn't move quite as well as it used to, so I'd like to get this over with quick"

Then Greed says something like "retire already, gramps" and gets his arm cut off. Cue epic beatdown :P
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 02:01   Link #2028
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
Not all. Only Pride and Envy where seen to be able to devour others to replenish their soul stock. Pride kind of has all abilities of the Homunculi (his shadow can see way beyond his shota container = Wrath, he defends = Greed and attacks = Lust with them etc.). Sorta at least.

So I guess, it was just not possible with Wrath. When Gluttony is out of souls he gets reborn after all instead of just getting fed a philosopher's stone or two.

Also having Wrath being able to age had it's advantages, too. That way he could be the Fuhrer without raising suspicion.
Don't forget the most important and obvious reason of all, he would be invincible if he could regenerate.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 05:32   Link #2029
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Don't forget the most important and obvious reason of all, he would be invincible if he could regenerate.
True, but that's more wise from Arakawa's POV not from Father's.
Old 2010-06-21, 05:09   Link #2030
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
Keep on dreaming ...
James Cameron is planning on making a movie based on Battle Angel Alita. The classic manga series which is about 20 years old now. He remembers it from the 1990s and has been wanting to make it for a while.

Hollywood even turned to the belgian Tintin comics for a movie franchise. Steven Spielberg is making a gazillion dollar trilogy based on an old european comic which is kind of obscure in the US and pretty controversial around the world.

FMA is probably the most critically acclaimed mainstream manga of the decade. It's fantasy like LOTR, Narnia, and Harry Potter. It's kind of unique in that the fantasy aspects don't rely on magic, but the esoteric quasi-science of Alchemy.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 06:33   Link #2031
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

You know, IF they would do it right it could be pretty awesome, but my optimism in that regard is very low.

That it takes James Cameron so long to start his project shows that it isn't easy to make a hollywood movie that stays true to it's source and isn't just a rip off of the franchise.

I'll be glad if I'll stand corrected, but I just don't see anyone choosing FMA for an adaptation. It's well written and great, but it's not a save bet money wise. Specially, because it would need mutiple films to be told properly. We'll see more things along the lines of Dragonball, Bleach or Naruto movies as I see it.

Also Tintin, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings are all things that are wildly known in the western realm and thus get checked out by default. FMA should be known to anyone, but it's more of a niche interest.
Old 2010-06-21, 10:33   Link #2032
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
FMA is probably the most critically acclaimed mainstream manga of the decade. It's fantasy like LOTR, Narnia, and Harry Potter. It's kind of unique in that the fantasy aspects don't rely on magic, but the esoteric quasi-science of Alchemy.
FMA is not that well known among non-anime fans. All my friends know LOTR, Narnia and Harry Potter quite well but the only thing they know about FMA is it's that weird anime thing their friend likes.
Old 2010-06-21, 19:21   Link #2033
OMchan
オムちゃん

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but it looks like Chapter 108 is going to get reprinted in the August issue of Gangan because the July issue is selling out/sold out. Wow.

http://gangan.square-enix.co.jp/
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 19:27   Link #2034
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMchan View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but it looks like Chapter 108 is going to get reprinted in the August issue of Gangan because the July issue is selling out/sold out. Wow.

Wow that's awesome, go FMA

And I am really glad I pre-ordered my copy ahead of time.
Old 2010-06-22, 08:37   Link #2035
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:

I actually wonder if this is the first time it's every happened.
Old 2010-06-22, 09:43   Link #2036
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
The September issue actually, which goes on sale August 12.

And yeah, it's apparently very rare. Some Japanese people are complaining that they should just do a another print run of the July issue, but manga magazines, as a general rule, don't get repeat print runs (the one example I've read about was when a Kannagi Drama CD came with a 2008 copy of "REX")...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-06-23 at 04:46.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 21:36   Link #2037
OMchan
オムちゃん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Wow that's awesome, go FMA

And I am really glad I pre-ordered my copy ahead of time.
Yup, same and it's good to know that we deprived a Japanese citizen or two of Chapter 108 by doing that, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
The September issue actually, which goes on sale August 12.

And yeah, it's apparently very rare. Some Japanese people are complaining that they should just do a another print run of the July issue, but manga magazines, as a general rule, generally don't get repeat print runs (the one example I've read about was when a Kannagi Drama CD was came with a 2008 copy of "REX")...
Ahhh that's right, thanks for the correction. Got the dates mixed up there.
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-23, 03:46   Link #2038
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Do you guys think there was any political message with Greed actually siding with humans? With Greed being the most independent homunculus? The only one to stand up to "fathers" plan? The only one to bond with humans? The one with redeemable human qualities?
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-23, 12:25   Link #2039
fizzmaister
The Tall One

The only political message I can think of that is related to greed is "Capitalism changes greed from a destructive force to a constructive force" but I really don't think that's what Arakawa was going for.
Old 2010-06-24, 02:20   Link #2040
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

I think FMA was always blissfully apolitical. One of its strongest points, if you ask me.

The only real messages I got from it are: "take responsibility for your own actions, but don't be afraid to ask for help from/rely on your friends and family"; and "sometimes bad things happen to good people, but you can still work through it". I don't think either message is very political, or is going to draw any detractors...