AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Old 2004-04-08, 18:25   Link #1
musouka

Monster (Generic anime discussion thread)

Well, this is the anime I've been looking forward to most this season, and it's nice to see it didn't fail to deliver. It's shaping up to be every bit as addictive as the manga is.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 18:34   Link #2
Spooky-Electric

Yep, this is going to be one of the best series around for the next year or so. It will quickly rise in popularity too.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 19:29   Link #3
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Whats it about? any screenshots?
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 19:32   Link #4
TronDD
Team the box!

Well so far (and one ep isn't very far, of course) it's pretty good. I read the 17 scanlated volumes of the manga in 2 sittings and I was afraid that a 70 ep adaptation would be much too slow. I guess since I didn't read the manga a chapter at a time, I don't know if one chapter alone can create enough suspense and interest in what comes next like an anime episode should.

I was thinking this would be a show I'd save up and watch a number of eps at a time but if they stay as good as the first ep I'll be too eager to see the next one to wait.

I'm not sure I believe the voice for Eva. It sounds too nice, pretty, and sane. I'll have to see how the voice actress handles the character later on.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 19:37   Link #5
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

So did Totan do a good job subbing this? I'm wondering whether I should hold out for another group.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 19:40   Link #6
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
So did Totan do a good job subbing this? I'm wondering whether I should hold out for another group.
The only thing I noticed is that they said "Dr. So and so operated some patient" instead of "operated ON". Other than that it looked like a fine job to me.
Old 2004-04-08, 19:41   Link #7
musouka

Actually, from what I can tell Totan has done a really nice job with this release. Of course, a lot of the medical dialogue and such is way over my head, so I wouldn't know if it was right or wrong anyway.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 19:45   Link #8
Lunchboxx

Send a message via AIM to Lunchboxx Send a message via MSN to Lunchboxx Send a message via Yahoo to Lunchboxx
whats this show about....I saw the trailer and Im still not sure, is it just about doctors? like an anime version of ER
Lunchboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 19:53   Link #9
TronDD
Team the box!

Not at all. The medical stuff is mostly at the beginning. It's more of a mystery,, suspense, drama. Has elements of "The Fugitive" and "Pretender" if you're familiar with those shows.

Here is the synopsis taken from the Monster manga thread in our manga forum:

Dr. Tenma is a Japanese man working in Germany. He has it all, incredible medical skill, a great job, a beautiful fiancee. He becomes disillusioned with the hospital politics though, when one day he's ordered to forgo operating on a critically injured man in favor of someone who was more famous. After this point, he decides he will do what he thinks is right, regardless of politics.

One day, a young boy and his younger sister were brought in. The boy had a bullet in his head, an operation that the doctor knows only he is capable of completing successfully. But soon after a politician was brought to the hospital and the high ups in the hospital want Dr. Tenma to leave the boy to operate on the politician. Dr. Tenma decides that he'll do what's right and save the young boy's life.

The young boy's operation was a success, but the surgeons operating on the politician fail, prompting his life to fall apart. Dr. Tenma is passed over for a promotion and his fiancee becomes cold to him and eventually leaves him.

But soon after, strange murders begin to occur, ones that benefit Dr. Tenma greatly and though he becomes the #1 suspect, they have no evidence against him. But it seems that the boy whose life he saved has a hand in things, and that he is much more than he seems...
Old 2004-04-08, 20:12   Link #10
Spooky-Electric

ToTan did a pretty good job I guess. I will be checking out the other versions though personally.

Call me picky but I like to have the version with the best translation and least amount of grammar and punctuation errors as possible.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 20:27   Link #11
Za Paper

A really interesting first ep. I knew something bad was going to happen once dr Tenma made the decision to save the kid.

Totan translation wasnt bad although I did notice a couple things probably due to a lack of knowledge in medical terminology. Cerebral aneurysm was translated as arterial lump. Pyramis was mispelled. Some of the aesthetics could have been improved as well to more fit the way a surgeon would speak. I think a neurosurgeon would more likely say "the bullet grazed the middle cerebral artery" rather than "the bullet scratched the central brain artery". Of course, if you dont have a medical background it probably doesnt make that much of a difference.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 21:24   Link #12
Lina
moo.

It's very interesting. I'm not sure where it's going to head.
Lina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 21:56   Link #13
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
Whats it about? any screenshots?
I highly reccommend this series to any of you. The Manga is absolutely fantastic and if the rumors are true, the anime is just as good if not better. I've yet to check it out, but I will after Keep or Kraze release their own version of episode one.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 23:41   Link #14
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Just watched episode 1 and it seems interesting (I didn't read the manga).

The character art does seem too openly stereotypical though. You can see what they are through their faces straight away. I mean Tenma looks exaclty naive and blur. His fiancee and her father evil ugly snobs (she's considered beautiful with those looks?!). And Becker looks envious with a hint of couldn't-care-less incompetence.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 23:55   Link #15
rainz
original vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh

The character art does seem too openly stereotypical though. You can see what they are through their faces straight away. I mean Tenma looks exaclty naive and blur. His fiancee and her father evil ugly snobs (she's considered beautiful with those looks?!). And Becker looks envious with a hint of couldn't-care-less incompetence.
I had the same feeling as yours when I first read the manga (with the stereotypical faces), and oh boy, are you in for some big surprises...
If this anime is as good as the manga, we might be looking at a classic here. And from episode 1, it's doing a rather good job.
rainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 23:55   Link #16
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh

Well if you think that's what the characters are like....

then you are right (not gonna comment on if Eva is pretty or ugly). Well, Tenma's expressions will change soon...like in the OP
Rias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 00:36   Link #17
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, it's supposedly to be like a normal real-world-like setting... so it bounds to look normal at the start...

so far I'm really happy that they kept almost everything in the manga intact in this transition, that's very good IMO, since I couldn't think of any change that can be made into the manga not making it worse. Hope the anime will stick to the manga as close as it can all the way
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 01:36   Link #18
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

by reading some of the replies here I think I'll give it a look sometime. So much new anime debutting in April I can't keep track of them all.
Old 2004-04-09, 01:54   Link #19
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
A really interesting first ep. I knew something bad was going to happen once dr Tenma made the decision to save the kid.

Totan translation wasnt bad although I did notice a couple things probably due to a lack of knowledge in medical terminology. Cerebral aneurysm was translated as arterial lump. Pyramis was mispelled. Some of the aesthetics could have been improved as well to more fit the way a surgeon would speak. I think a neurosurgeon would more likely say "the bullet grazed the middle cerebral artery" rather than "the bullet scratched the central brain artery". Of course, if you dont have a medical background it probably doesnt make that much of a difference.
i feel that it is important to get the medical terminology right, because one of the reason that i highly respect this manga was the accuracy of the medical knowledge and terminology in it it gave the series a very realistic look. i havent downloaded the episode yet i am gonna wait till another group subs it then i am going to read the reviews here to see which one of them is most accurate coz i have the highest expectations for this series
Old 2004-04-09, 05:00   Link #20
lordlucless

Just another little glitch in the translation, there's a grammatical error at 7:14 - "What do you saying Dr. Becker?"

I'm not trying to dump on ToTan, just give a little constructive feedback, so I hope it's taken that way.
lordlucless is offline   Reply With Quote