AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-05-17, 05:50   Link #1
Spooky-Electric

Most Disturbing Anime ??

For me, it's Narutaru. Just thinking about this series creeps me the hell out. To be honest I couldn't even finish the series because I found it that disturbing. It kept me up at night after watching it!
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 06:33   Link #2
TronDD
Team the box!

Narutaru is number one. It just pushed the envelope of going too far. Even though violence is not really shown, you know all too well what happened and some of it I can't believe was even thought up. Still the best part about it is it's commentary on human nature set among teenage issues. It's very real dispite the fantasy elements.

2nd place goes to Now and Then, Here and There. Another realistic portrayal of human nature and how evil it can be. This show is truely horrible. I felt ashamed of being part of the human race after I saw it. Other than dimensional travel, there is nothing in this show that hasn't happened in the world. Although no one on Earth has ever been able to create water from a pendant, there are numerous examples of people exploiting those with power, weath, or ability.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 07:11   Link #3
Lambda

I'd go for Narutaru too, though End of Evangelion pushes it close. Alien Nine is good too, although perhaps a little too subtle.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 07:52   Link #4
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
I'd go for Narutaru too, though End of Evangelion pushes it close. Alien Nine is good too, although perhaps a little too subtle.
Alien Nine? which part of it disturbing? I tought they just capturing aliens.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 08:08   Link #5
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I haven't seen Narutaru yet, but if it's as disturbing as you guys claim, then I definitely will see it.

I second Now and Then, Here and There (my favorite anime). TronDD hit the nail on the head with his explanation why -- really, really moving and disturbing anime. No series has ever hit that level of emotion for me, and only a Ghibli movie or two can match it. Must see for any and all fans of anime.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 08:08   Link #6
TronDD
Team the box!

I don't see what is so disturbing about End of EVA, either. Elaborate for us, keep the discussion going.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 08:38   Link #7
Xikius
JTHM ~> Z?

Send a message via AIM to Xikius
i agree with both Narutaru and Now and Then, Here and There. (if you haven't checked out Narutaru manga, you should... known as Shadow Star in US)

i also think Infinite Ryvius was disturbing in some parts. that show actually made me depressed for an entire day when i watched an episode of it before i went to work...

gantz is pretty disturbing, as well (altho would be more so if it followed the manga better).

Quote:
I don't see what is so disturbing about End of EVA, either.
Spoiler:

... but that's just me.

Last edited by Xikius; 2004-05-18 at 13:04.
Xikius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 09:24   Link #8
Arwyn

Angel Sanctuary, hands down.

The whole show highlights a lot of really nasty things people do to each other, the hero is just about as bad as the bad guys, and to top it all off, he has the hots for his sister. His REAL sister, not one of those typical anime "not related by blood" plot devices.

And in a fit of anger, he manges to blow away thousands of innocent people, including some friends, in downtown Tokyo. Doesnt even bother him.

Very creepy anime......
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 11:23   Link #9
Kouji
StrykerX

FLCL, would be considered a weird and disturbing anime. Which there's a series of things that happen to the main character. This caused me to not watch the series. But as for Infinite Ryvius, it's a really cool anime (I'm being honest here).
Old 2004-05-17, 11:40   Link #10
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
For me, it's Narutaru. Just thinking about this series creeps me the hell out. To be honest I couldn't even finish the series because I found it that disturbing. It kept me up at night after watching it!
katsuhiro otomo- memories.

that was an acid trip right there... (minus the acid, of course)
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 11:45   Link #11
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Hmmm... since I watch only few animes... I'd say the most disturbing anime for me is GTO(bec. of the sexual content)... anyway... its a cool anime though...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 12:12   Link #12
Xikius
JTHM ~> Z?

Send a message via AIM to Xikius
Quote:
and to top it all off, he has the hots for his sister. His REAL sister, not one of those typical anime "not related by blood" plot devices.
you seen Koi Kaze? more brother on sister love... ^_^;

Quote:
FLCL, would be considered a weird and disturbing anime. Which there's a series of things that happen to the main character. This caused me to not watch the series. But as for Infinite Ryvius, it's a really cool anime (I'm being honest here).
FLCL is one of my favorite animes of all time (you should give it another shot, btw), as well as Infinite Ryvius. i didn't mean to come off as a hater of the series.

what was disturbing/depressing about it, was it's story telling. the characters and events just seemed believable. if an entire ship was isolated out in space full of kids, this is probably what would happen. nervous, anxious, depression, anger, insanity. that is also why i liked it so much.
Xikius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 13:52   Link #13
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Narutaru is not disturbing, just unwatchable after 8 episodes. Eva's a unhappy tearjerker, not disturbing stuff. Anime, thats actually makes you open your eyes to a ugly scene. Berserk, Gantz, Now then here and there. Its good stuff, and makes you think about sick real life can be.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 14:14   Link #14
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
I was kinda disappointed with Narutaru. I had heard it was disturbing and dark but it felt really tame to me. I only started to get into it at like episode 11 or 12, and theres only 13 episodes so far? Pretty twisted at the end but took long enough to get to that point. Guess I got to read the manga. Most disturbing for me was the end of the Berserk anime, also Evangelion at like episode 18+. Was disturbing for awhile then all I felt was wanting to kill Shinji so damn bad.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 14:19   Link #15
DistortedRealmS

Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
I 7th Narutaru but although pushing the envelope I very much enjoyed it (not so much the scenes that make it #1 disturbing but for the story itself) I wish they would make another season for tv but seeing as how it pulled a berserk people can't seem to handle it (This is where an eye rolling smiley would come in handy) damn you people!!

Rob
DistortedRealmS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 14:28   Link #16
Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts
Narutaru is not disturbing, just unwatchable after 8 episodes. Eva's a unhappy tearjerker, not disturbing stuff. Anime, thats actually makes you open your eyes to a ugly scene. Berserk, Gantz, Now then here and there. Its good stuff, and makes you think about sick real life can be.
Have you seen all of Narutaru? The things that happen in the last few episodes make the rest seem like child's play. The events that unfold in the manga afterwards are even worse. I agree about Berserk though, but, like Narutaru, the manga is worse in terms of graphic and disturbing content.
Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 14:36   Link #17
UzumakiBatman
Me for teh pwnage :P

*downloads Narutaru*
UzumakiBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 14:38   Link #18
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
Well, there is some pretty disturbing emotional abuse of kids in there. Like Lambda said it was subtle but if you look carefully, none of those kids has a pretty good home life. Add their manipulative faculty advisor and the aliens themselves and you have 3 kids who have hard, disturbing lives. It might not be as bad as the others but I felt horrible for them and my gf gave me mean looks for showing it to her for the entire weekend after we watched it on Friday.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 14:39   Link #19
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Angel Sanctuary, here's why:
1) The guy's into his sister, and actually has sex with her
2) he's a reincarnation of a female angel
3) "God is dead" <----first line of the summary
4) genderless and effeminate characters out the ass
5) the two demons: 1 is a guy cross dressing as a girl, the other is a girl cross dressing as a guy (though not very well...)
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 15:24   Link #20
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
Now, that's what I mean by it being too subtle! OK, Alien Nine is basically about the way, particularly in Japan, that children are treated as if they're adults, given pushing and responsibilities that they're not yet mature enough to deal with, and told that they just have to get on with it, until sometimes they, well, break. Which is a pretty disturbing idea in itself. It is of course most starkly illustrated by
Spoiler:
but there's tons of other stuff, in particular within Kasumi's behaviour at a few points.
Spoiler:
It's probably accurate to say that Alien Nine is basically about unintentional child abuse. (Defined broadly).

(Also, there's a symbolic rape.)

Actually, when you sit down and look at all it's got, it would seem to outrank Narutaru in this department, once you've figured out what's going on. (Although I think Narutaru has things going on deep under the surface too, and I just haven't quite picked up on them.) But that's what I actually mean by being too subtle, the tone that it's done in means it misses the sheer visceral impact of some titles, and so the point isn't rammed home quite as strongly as it might have been.

(BTW, I agree with mostly everything that's been said here about Now and then, Here and There, except I'm not sure "disturbing" is quite the word I'd use.)

Last edited by Lambda; 2004-05-17 at 15:28. Reason: Added some clarification
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote