5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 3.65%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.92%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 2.19%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 2.92%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 3.65%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-11-29, 01:17   Link #301
rpgman1

Good episode overall but the scripted writing feels really rushed and loose overall. The fanservice was obvious when Hallelujah asked Sumeragi about the swimsuits. I wonder why would Setsuna blurt out his code name and being a member of CB to Marina. Anything with the topic of violence comes out, Setsuna just says it out loud and fast. I could see Marina's servant being the equivalent of Dorothy from Gundam Wing. I was shocked that young Lockon looked like Kiba from Wolf's Rain and he is a handsome man.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 01:36   Link #302
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
From the creators' points of view, the meeting between our leads was the main (indeed, only) point of the episode. The entire terrorist subplot only existed to bring them together. Part of the reason it turned out so poorly is that they had effectively written themselves into a corner, and needed lots of handwaving to get out of it.
This is a war. Of course, anybody could not get to meet anyone or allow the freedom of actually trying to fit in, let's say, a rather melodramatic way of showing how they met in the middle of war. It was under those stressful instances that Setsuna and Marina got to meet, and so far, after all the ruckus that CB has been doing for the last 7 episodes it would seem to be to be unrealistic if the world's "terrorists" haven't actually done anything as of yet and maybe delay it for the finale or something... I must agree that the pace was rather erratic and random, but so far the haphazard pacing of Gundam 00 is enough to give anyone the sense of getting panicky or anything by the entire premise...in the real world, a lot of things DO happen at the same time, and even a whole day's broadcast of whatever is really going on all around the world is not even enough to show the level of catastrophe or whatever a coup is doing that could inevitably affect another random country in the middle of nowhere...I think Gundam 00 has actually handled it pretty well.

War isn't something you could actually put on pause and try creating an overly feel good way of how the hero and heroine met. If it were, it would rather become even more out of place. After what happened in Moralia, CB is now officially the enemy of the entire world, and so the real war begins. Saji's sister is also thinking in the same way as I do, that what CB is showing to the world could be the front of something else.

Quote:
Based on the requirements of the story, and the constraints the creators made on the story, it was sort of inevitable that the meeting was going to turn out badly. While it may be possible that there are ways that it could have been written better, they would certainly have taken that opportunity if they could think of it.
I am pretty sure not all relationships have the idyllic characteristics of stereotypical "love at first sight" kind of background to them. Granted that Setsuna and Marina could have met in far better circumstances, in the current situation, there really was no other choice but to have them meet by "force" after she magically saved him from the police. The CB were asking for it, and so the situation has gone critical. Making Setsuna and Marina meet in a better situation would actually become disjointed from the central point of the episode, or the series at this point. You could also probably say the same thing about Sumeragi and the ponytail man; they could have met during better times, but the war has forced them to meet in a way that was kind of stressful for the both of them, him being the techie of the Union hard pressed to find out about the Gundam and she as the tactical forecaster for the CB just trying to enjoy herself before the beginning of the mission.

Marina was quite happy when she found out about Setsuna and wanted to talk to him; she was a Queen under a lot of stress and wanted to share how she felt about the current Azadistan situation to someone who could understand it the way that she does. Unfortunately, Setsuna was from Kurdistan, and Azadistan was the cause of its spiral to destruction, and for everything that has happened. Marina tried to explain that they tried to resolve everything through peaceful means; Setsuna snaps at her that everyone else was still being killed even as they talk. Hearing something like that from a Queen who still doesn't know anything yet is quite infuriating for Setsuna, as it was the reason that made him think like he is the Gundam. anyway, can someone try explaining to a person who was the direct victim of a war how everything was done in order to curb his hatred for that country? The war robbed him of his innocence, and maybe somewhere along the way, he might have been betrayed by Ali for tricking him to kill the only persons which could've at least tried shielding him from that kind of pain, and Azadistan was also a major factor why there are still people being killed even as he fought as a kid soldier back then. Setsuna is still filled with a lot of hatred and pain and it was only Ali, among all the persons he have come up against, who was able to get him worked up like that; he didn't randomly choose to show himself to anyone either. The hatred he bore for Azadistan made it a lot worse that he blurted all those WTF things out loud to Marina that he is a GM. seeing things through Setsuna's context could probably clear all those things; heck, Lockon was also starting to show this kind of anger in that episode by always muttering that he would snipe all those bastards down, and he could already barely contain himself, if it weren't for Haro. Lockon's hatred for terrorism is the same as Setsuna's hatred for Azadistan and Ali (if he hates Ali); those guys could snap at any moment, like any normal person would. I am pretty sure Allelujah's fear of drifting alone in space could be akin to Lockon and Setsuna's hatred; Allelujah was the first victim of this WTF syndrome when he directly disobeyed the plan made by Sumeragi in a bid to save those civilians.

Quote:
Once a group uses unrestrained violence to attack a country, that country basically receives casus belli to do whatever they want to the instigating party. Generally, this free hand can be used to garner a great deal of public support and grants power to the rulers. In effect, countries gain quite a bit by letting everyone know that they plan to use force themselves.

Besides, France blew up Rainbow Warrior for much much less cause.
Of course, look what happened to the recent Iraqi war.

Quote:
I think that the creators may pick up the story thread of the terrorists' sponsor at a later date. However, the sheer convenience written into the story doesn't exactly get my hopes up that it'll be handled very well.
Setsuna and Marina were bound to have met, no matter what happens, because they're the OTP of this series. seriously though, if CB didn't find out soon enough who the sponsor is, it could create even more massive witch hunts for the blocs to purge CB, until they are forced into a situation that would trap them and for the blocs to get a hold of the GN Drive technology. Of course, they're bound to protect all those GN Drives with their lives. That is why the need to hunt those terrorists down. Also, by the way CB was acting, it isn't very unreal at all to think that a terrorist group somewhere is going to force the CB out of hiding and so entrap them like that, being used.

Quote:
Basically, the power blocs stood to gain plenty by being seen to attack the terrorists, and to gain nothing by manipulating Celestial Being into doing so. By the way, I'm not sure if anyone's pointed it out, but the terrorist bases were in the Marshall Islands and Guyana which is actually in HRL and Union territory respectively; so it was by no means in neutral territory.
I don't know. They released the biometrics through the internet, hoping that CB could be tricked to do it for them, maybe because they were lazy. seriously though, as they knew CB's weakness for trying to end all conflict by creating conflict, that kind of plan will attract them to go out of hiding, and could be the cause why they could be traced sooner or later (as the next ep preview shows somewhat). So they win both ways; by using CB to exterminate the terrorists, they could not be found responsible for "planning" to stop violence with violence and CB would be even more hated by it, and they could continue on with their Gundam catching plans without making everybody realize that is their true intended goal. They could get praised for stopping the terrorists as well.

Quote:
You're probably reading too much into it. One doesn't keep someone from being desensitized by ignoring the fact that they're going to kill people. Besides, it was obvious that the scenes were purely for fanservice - Sumeragi even pointed it earlier . Personally, I'm rather pleased that the creators decided to be so blatantly honest.
Well, being those persons who are responsible for co-directing the Gundams' movements and that the lives of the Meisters themselves depend on them, Sumeragi knows that they need to relax every now and then. I am pretty sure that the fanservice was also some kind of therapy for the 2 young girls; I am quite sure that they knew what they were getting themselves into when they joined CB, and Sumeragi is just helping them try to at least act "normal" once in a while, knowing full well that it could very well be their last, if Veda's plan were to work "just as planned".

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 01:57   Link #303
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
setsuna basically crossed the threshold bold-ness and idiocy.

1. he came out of his cockpit endangering a mission.
2. revealed his identity completely to a stranger.

He can do ANYTHING and get away with it.

next episode it will be:

- setsuna grabs sumeragi's titties or smacks one of the CB girl's ass, then casually walk away from it like it's not a big deal.
all because of some computer based on some strange logic and programming that decides he should be chosen as its holy soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Oh he's a teenager? I don't think your evrey day teenager has ever fought any kind of war is one of the top member of a secret organization. From a guy like that the self-control is an obvious thing to have while he totally lacks it. He's a teenager just for the age, but it's only a formality.
apparently his "teenager" attributes are also part of what the computer selected him for. Else the computer should just select four Tieria-type guy and be done with it, instead of getting one emo brat, one who constantly talks to the dead and suffers split personalities, and one who has some dark anti-terrorist bias.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 02:25   Link #304
Blood_Knight
The Dark Lady

lol, I just had this sense of deja vu with gundam and the thunderbirds
1. All hide on an untrackable island
2. sponsor is a chick with butler who likes pink alot
3. TIGHTS
4. going around owning disater prone places
Blood_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 02:37   Link #305
Sol Falling

Yeah, I find Lockon's anti-terrorist stance to be kind of...iunno. Its portrayal in the show doesn't really mesh with his character. I mean, for one thing, he's not a teenager like Setsuna. He's an adult, he's got some life experience...I think, for somebody who acts as laid back as Lockon does, he'd have gotten over it by now? I'm kinda pissed now that I can't consider Lockon a likeable character anymore...the only Gundam Meister that actually seems to be able to control his emotions is Tieria.

Anyway, back on topic: I can't really criticise the 'writing' of episode 08 in terms of how it managed to get Setsuna and Marina together. I can accept Marina's motivation of wanting to speak to a fellow countryman, at least. Although, I'm not altogether sure about Setsuna speaking on behalf of Celestial Being, 'cause he seems to be too rash, jaded, and impulsive to really believe in their ideal.

But yeah, I doubt I could have come up with anything better. (Just as a side note...Honey_and_Cleaver, why are you watching Gundam for romance? I mean sure, it has historically been explored in the series, but it was never the main focus. It's war, you don't exactly go about shagging all your subordinates/captains etc.)

My only criticism goes towards the handling of the terrorism aspect. I mean, right now, Celestial Being has taken care of just one established, highly centralized, environmentalist group, with help from the intelligence of the three major factions. So, what if a newer group shows up? One whose membership can't quite be blown up in 5 seconds by Virtue's cannons. What do they do then?

The terrorism angle was just really sloppily handled. "I just blew up a building, I'm gonna suspiciously speed away from the site as fast as I can!" Bleh. Celestial Being has yet to address the basic issue of people considering terrorism a viable way to corner them. They needed to either demonstrate that they do not care (because they shouldn't, really. Tieria had it right in the last episode, there was nothing stopping them from laughing in the terrorists' faces), or publicly demonstrate that they were capable of destroying the terrorists so as to discourage other groups. That would be hard to write, but at least they would be addressing the underlying issue as opposed to ignoring it completely.

Then again, the retardedly serious way the gundam meister's said "We will intervene in this conflict known as terrorism" in episode 7 had already convinced me not to take this episode seriously.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2007-11-29 at 03:22.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 03:24   Link #306
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by qx123 View Post
Heero wanted to kill relena because relena saw her face while heero was injured. Heero wanted to keep his identity secret.

Setsuna for no good reason reveal identity to Marina.

Even though i am not a fan of Heero, i can see that Heero > Setsuna
The biggest correlation was the whole boy-soldier meets princess idea. Setsuna just seems to be a bit lost IMO. Though he's obviously very capable as a soldier. Heero was just a pure machine.

And Sol Falling, I have no idea what you mean by 'getting over' something while still putting on a positive vibe like Lockon has. I think it'd be too cliche for someone dark to have a dark past and a bright person to have a bright past.

So if you have a dark past and you do brood over it a bit, you haven't 'gotten over' it? That's just callous logic as I see it. Also, Tieria isn't perfect either. He's too trigger happy with criticizing his own teammates and it's Lockon who is the grounder for the team still.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 03:45   Link #307
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Tieria seems to have it all together because he's the most unattached character (in terms of dealing with his emotions) and he couldn't really care less but always doing the right thing. I'm still hoping he would show some kind of human side to him soon, though.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 04:15   Link #308
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Teenager is an age, not a state of mind. Child soldiers can become teenagers, even if they don't hang out with friends are lust after singers or what not.
Teenager is an age AND a state of mind: it's one of those words which has two or more meanings. I agree that Setsuna is a teenager regarding the age, but not regarding the state of mind. He hasn't ever had the opportunity to have the teenager state of mind so his reactions can be as idiotic as adult's ones can be.

Quote:
Besides, Setsuna has shown self-control in most matters except on two occasions so far; when he wanted to confirm Ali's identity completely, and in the article in question. It wasn't Setsuna who started talking about the Class-S solar furnaces in public at an orbital tower, after all.
Except in two situations? Yes you're right, but you are ignoring what kind of situations those were. When he came out of Exia's cookpit he could have fucked the mission... endagering other pilots' lifes as well. The second one is unforgivable, giving his real identity out to some stranger putting the entire Celestial Being organization into a great danger, this time in a permanent way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
setsuna basically crossed the threshold bold-ness and idiocy.

1. he came out of his cockpit endangering a mission.
2. revealed his identity completely to a stranger.

He can do ANYTHING and get away with it.

next episode it will be:

- setsuna grabs sumeragi's titties or smacks one of the CB girl's ass, then casually walk away from it like it's not a big deal.
Someone seems to realize this besides me, I'm happy!
Anyway I hope to see some hot action on Sumeragi's part: perhaps in a mission in which the seduction of some random guy is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless View Post
apparently his "teenager" attributes are also part of what the computer selected him for. Else the computer should just select four Tieria-type guy and be done with it, instead of getting one emo brat, one who constantly talks to the dead and suffers split personalities, and one who has some dark anti-terrorist bias.
I'm well aware of this in fact I asked myself why the CB computer, Veda, selected Setsuna for being a Gundam Meinster. So far Setsuna carries instability and uncertainity within CB so it is an illogical choice at a first glance, but there is some hidden reason behind that choice for sure. Perhaps Setsuna will be the one to start questioning about CB policies and methods and eventually to rebel against them: he is the most problematic one already, doing what he wants not caring much about orders and so he can be viewed as the most "indipendent" Meinster.
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 04:23   Link #309
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
And Sol Falling, I have no idea what you mean by 'getting over' something while still putting on a positive vibe like Lockon has. I think it'd be too cliche for someone dark to have a dark past and a bright person to have a bright past.

So if you have a dark past and you do brood over it a bit, you haven't 'gotten over' it? That's just callous logic as I see it. Also, Tieria isn't perfect either. He's too trigger happy with criticizing his own teammates and it's Lockon who is the grounder for the team still.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Lockon has a dark past, but given his bright character it doesn't really mesh with me that he'll go all dark again the moment it is mentioned. It just seems to me that this aspect of his character is being shoved into our face in an attempt to give him some 'complexity' when all it has done so far is make him look inconsistent. It hasn't yet been impressed clearly upon the viewers how Lockon generally is merciful towards his enemies but will take them down with extreme prejudice if they're terrorists: we've seen just that one scene where Lockon takes a long time shooting down those mining guys, right? And we're supposed to make that connection and contrast with the "Today I am merciless" line in this episode. I totally missed that until somebody pointed it out in this thread. Not that Lockon's actions seemed particularly merciless in this episode anyway; he didn't have to do anything underhanded or cruel because his only effective resistance did nothing but fly straight at him waiting to be shot.

On the other hand, that terrorism plays such a strong part in Lockon's character probably means good things about Sunrise's intention to readdress the issue. So it looks like they'll bring that aspect back into the show and hopefully do a better job of it the second time around.

I don't consider Tieria perfect, but he's super fun to watch. This is the case of a super jackass who is unassailable except on the grounds of being a jackass.
Old 2007-11-29, 06:01   Link #310
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Then he must meet Soma.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 06:07   Link #311
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Yeah, that's what I mean. Lockon has a dark past, but given his bright character it doesn't really mesh with me that he'll go all dark again the moment it is mentioned. It just seems to me that this aspect of his character is being shoved into our face in an attempt to give him some 'complexity' when all it has done so far is make him look inconsistent. It hasn't yet been impressed clearly upon the viewers how Lockon generally is merciful towards his enemies but will take them down with extreme prejudice if they're terrorists: we've seen just that one scene where Lockon takes a long time shooting down those mining guys, right? And we're supposed to make that connection and contrast with the "Today I am merciless" line in this episode. I totally missed that until somebody pointed it out in this thread. Not that Lockon's actions seemed particularly merciless in this episode anyway; he didn't have to do anything underhanded or cruel because his only effective resistance did nothing but fly straight at him waiting to be shot.
I disagree. It's an everyday thing to put on a face or an act in face of trauma or past struggles. I don't know about you, but I do that every day. Being a happy-go-lucky type could actually be derived from his darker past so I don't see how it is inconsistent. I wish Lockon doesn't change from his usual aspect either, but having a few grudges is not a big deal to his consistency to me.

Also, I can see how he can see terrorists and foreign armies in a different light. Armies tends to have a national philosophy, terrorists may not (at least not apparently so with the way they specifically go after civilians).

Quote:
On the other hand, that terrorism plays such a strong part in Lockon's character probably means good things about Sunrise's intention to readdress the issue. So it looks like they'll bring that aspect back into the show and hopefully do a better job of it the second time around.

I don't consider Tieria perfect, but he's super fun to watch. This is the case of a super jackass who is unassailable except on the grounds of being a jackass.
He certainly did seem assailable when a few of his teammates do something, even successfully, that he disagrees with. He's not without a double face either. One being the exceptional soldier, the other a disruptive team player. He's by far the worst teammate in the team.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 06:28   Link #312
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
My only criticism goes towards the handling of the terrorism aspect. I mean, right now, Celestial Being has taken care of just one established, highly centralized, environmentalist group, with help from the intelligence of the three major factions. So, what if a newer group shows up? One whose membership can't quite be blown up in 5 seconds by Virtue's cannons. What do they do then?
well, actually if a terrorist group doesn't have some centralized control from some HQs, then it won't pose much of a threat. Take some of the major terrorist threats in our real world for example, the Al Qaeda, RIRA, ETIM, etc. we know they have centralized control system from some HQs somewhere, just that they are well-hidden and constantly on the move, and taking down their heads will severely cripple their activities. Purely decentralized terrorist attacks can happen, but that's only when there are enough people commonly against something spontaneously, else it's impossible to have coordinated terrorist attacks for a common goal. And based on what CB has done so far, it doesn't seem like the common people everywhere in the world will hate CB this much, except maybe those in Moralia, but what can they do? blow their own country up some more?

So what CB has deduced is actually quite logical, that there must be some countries funding a certain large centralized terrorist group to do all those terrorist attacks, and destroying the HQs of that terrorist group will cripple their command chain and their activities.
Old 2007-11-29, 07:12   Link #313
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I disagree. It's an everyday thing to put on a face or an act in face of trauma or past struggles. I don't know about you, but I do that every day. Being a happy-go-lucky type could actually be derived from his darker past so I don't see how it is inconsistent. I wish Lockon doesn't change from his usual aspect either, but having a few grudges is not a big deal to his consistency to me.

Also, I can see how he can see terrorists and foreign armies in a different light. Armies tends to have a national philosophy, terrorists may not (at least not apparently so with the way they specifically go after civilians).
uh. My issue is with the execution of the characterization, not what characterization in particular is there.

If Lockon really hated terrorists, why was his first reaction "Man, they've really done us in"? Furthermore, if Lockon is a laid back guy about everything else, how can his objective moral standard for other people allow him to physically confront a teammate over not getting worked up about something that doesn't concern their personal history? "I'm so sad that people died. What, you aren't? Bastard! Imma beat yo face." Basically, what's with the sudden moodswings between personal empathy and objective righteousness?

I also mentioned, Sunrise's portrayal of Lockon being merciless involved only having Lockon say "Today I am merciless." Where's the hatred? The overkill? The catching of a glimpse of a little terrorist struggling to escape the rubble, and roasting him with his beam rifle? I didn't get the impression that Lockon was fighting with any more hatred (less mercy, whatever) than he usually does. How does this scene reinforce the idea that Lockon hates terrorism?

"What's so wrong with hating terrorism?!" Well if you're gonna ask people to hate something like that, you're gonna have to ask the to hate everything worse than that too. If your hatred only stems from personal loss, then don't expect everyone to sympathise. The reason everyone joined Celestial Being was war, right? Is he saying that everybody has to stop if it temporarily causes terrorism? If he believes that, then why is he in an anti-war organization instead of an anti-terrorism one?

Quote:
He certainly did seem assailable when a few of his teammates do something, even successfully, that he disagrees with. He's not without a double face either. One being the exceptional soldier, the other a disruptive team player. He's by far the worst teammate in the team.
Well iunno. The thing is, being a 'disruptive team player' falls within the range of 'being a jackass'. In that case, wouldn't my meaning have been that he's fun to watch precisely because he is a disruptive team player that threatens the success of their mission for no good reason? I mean, you can sympathise with Allelujah wanting to rescue civilians, or Setsuna wanting to confront his past. You can excuse those things. Tieria's behaviour, however, is the result of an utterly unjustified belief in and assertion of his own righteousness (maybe not the best word) above and beyond his consideration of anything else. For the Tieria right now, this conviction is ironclad. Unassailable. I bet he gets Sumeragi in the end.

Edit @ dreamless:

Well, the other part I mentioned was established. See, the reason CB was able to locate the environmentalist guys so quickly was because the other powers already had an idea of where their bases were. If it were a new group, though, created specifically to attack CB, then no data would be available for their HQ and CB wouldn't be able to so conveniently stroll in there and blow up their bases.
Old 2007-11-29, 08:50   Link #314
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon_Sniper
This is a war. Of course, anybody could not get to meet anyone or allow the freedom of actually trying to fit in, let's say, a rather melodramatic way of showing how they met in the middle of war.
What war? Most of the world is at peace.

Quote:
I am pretty sure not all relationships have the idyllic characteristics of stereotypical "love at first sight" kind of background to them. Granted that Setsuna and Marina could have met in far better circumstances, in the current situation, there really was no other choice but to have them meet by "force" after she magically saved him from the police. The CB were asking for it, and so the situation has gone critical. Making Setsuna and Marina meet in a better situation would actually become disjointed from the central point of the episode, or the series at this point.
That's my point. The way the creators had planned the show, there wasn't any good way for them to meet.

Quote:
Marina was quite happy when she found out about Setsuna and wanted to talk to him; she was a Queen under a lot of stress and wanted to share how she felt about the current Azadistan situation to someone who could understand it the way that she does.
You actually think that this makes sense?

Quote:
Also, by the way CB was acting, it isn't very unreal at all to think that a terrorist group somewhere is going to force the CB out of hiding and so entrap them like that, being used.
Why? Why would they bother to go to such efforts?

Quote:
So they win both ways; by using CB to exterminate the terrorists, they could not be found responsible for "planning" to stop violence with violence and CB would be even more hated by it, and they could continue on with their Gundam catching plans without making everybody realize that is their true intended goal. They could get praised for stopping the terrorists as well.
You realize that this makes no sense for various reasons, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling
I believe that no such organization can exist in the Gundam 00 universe. Normally, terrorist organizations are extremely difficult to root out; requiring months or years of investigation, signals monitoring, intelligence analysis, and hard work. Armed forces aren't all that useful against them because they're hard to come to grips with. On the other hand, terrorists in 2307 are expected to act in easy-to-defeat ways.

Quote:
Then again, the retardedly serious way the gundam meister's said "We will intervene in this conflict known as terrorism" in episode 7 had already convinced me not to take this episode seriously.
They sort of act that way all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superknuckles
It's an everyday thing to put on a face or an act in face of trauma or past struggles. I don't know about you, but I do that every day. Being a happy-go-lucky type could actually be derived from his darker past so I don't see how it is inconsistent. I wish Lockon doesn't change from his usual aspect either, but having a few grudges is not a big deal to his consistency to me.
I agree. It's quite natural for Lockon to have a peccadillo about groups that he has especial reasons to hate; and to treat these groups differently than he does other organizations. It's also natural for him to not want to dwell on the idea that the things he's doing aren't necessarily all that removed from that of the very terrorists that he professes to hate as well. These contrasting character traits have quite a bit of potential for interesting conflicts in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, actually if a terrorist group doesn't have some centralized control from some HQs, then it won't pose much of a threat.
The very opposite is true. While most terrorist organizations have some sort of top-level leadership, the rank-and-file are extremely decentralized to the extent of being able of taking independent action. What HQs exist are generally little more than mobile communications centers. Al Qaeda is probably the best example of this - they don't really exist as a single terrorist organization; instead, most national and regional groups operate independently. There's very little communication or cooperation between these groups, so Al Qaeda is extremely resilient to damage. Even the loss of the entire top leadership would do very little to damage the different national groups. And therein lies both the strength and weakness of terrorist groups - their cell structures make it very difficult for a government to eradicate them, but at the same time increases the chances of factionalization.

Quote:
Well, the other part I mentioned was established. See, the reason CB was able to locate the environmentalist guys so quickly was because the other powers already had an idea of where their bases were. If it were a new group, though, created specifically to attack CB, then no data would be available for their HQ and CB wouldn't be able to so conveniently stroll in there and blow up their bases.
Even this doesn't make any sense - why would the Union allow a hostile terrorist group to maintain mobile suits and a permanent base within their territory if they knew about its presence?
Old 2007-11-29, 10:53   Link #315
dreamless

Quote:
The very opposite is true. While most terrorist organizations have some sort of top-level leadership, the rank-and-file are extremely decentralized to the extent of being able of taking independent action. What HQs exist are generally little more than mobile communications centers. Al Qaeda is probably the best example of this - they don't really exist as a single terrorist organization; instead, most national and regional groups operate independently. There's very little communication or cooperation between these groups, so Al Qaeda is extremely resilient to damage. Even the loss of the entire top leadership would do very little to damage the different national groups. And therein lies both the strength and weakness of terrorist groups - their cell structures make it very difficult for a government to eradicate them, but at the same time increases the chances of factionalization.
nope you got it completely wrong, I was not talking about the terrorist's survivability, I was talking about the terrorist's ability to do something BIG that can pose a threat to CB. Sure they don't need one huge capital for all operations for sure, however each regional group has to have their own centralized HQs to coordinate their attacks, and taking out one region's HQs, you basically paralyze their operations in that region. CB has taken out multiple HQs of the terrorist group, that'd cripple their acitivities across different regions. You need some centralized control system to pull off something like 911 after all. Splinter factions can make some little suicide bombing and stuff here and there, but that doesn't pose much of a threat, when we talk on a grand scale world-wide that is (which is what CB cares about).

And they don't even need to care about some splinter factions if there's little cooperation and communication between them, as like I said, in that case they won't be able to work towards the common goal against CB anyway. CB is a new thing to the world, I doubt any existing large terrorist group would have fighting against CB as their goal passed down through history, so the only possible way for terrorists to be of any threat to CB is either it's a new terrorist group specifically formed against CB which would be still small and centralized, or some country funding some large terrorist group to attack CB which would be controlled from some centralized system.

Last edited by dreamless; 2007-11-29 at 11:04.
Old 2007-11-29, 11:38   Link #316
4Tran

Quote:
nope you got it completely wrong, I was not talking about the terrorist's survivability, I was talking about the terrorist's ability to do something BIG that can pose a threat to CB.
If that's what you were going for, then it's a moot point. Terrorists, as we understand them can't pose a threat to well armed groups to begin with.

Quote:
Splinter factions can make some little suicide bombing and stuff here and there, but that doesn't pose much of a threat, when we talk on a grand scale world-wide that is (which is what CB cares about).
Terrorism in general doesn't pose much of a threat.

Quote:
You need some centralized control system to pull off something like 911 after all.
The September 11 attack was a fairly decentralized operation, just like World Trade Center bombing, just like the Bali bombings, just like the July 7 bombings, just like Madrid train bombings, and so forth. The thing about terrorist attacks is that they require very little resources beyond a little technical expertise and willing participants to pull off, so there isn't much need for any centralized control beyond the initial planning.
Old 2007-11-29, 12:21   Link #317
Paranoia833
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless View Post
You need some centralized control system to pull off something like 911 after all.
The poster above already commented on this, but no, you really don't. The only part of an operation like 9/11 that requires any real co-ordination is the training program. Aside from that, all they need is a little funding to learn how to pilot a plane and the rest can be co-ordinated entirely by a small group with access to publicly available flight times and a few letter openers.

Really 9/11 was more a failiure of US security than any stroke of genius on the part of Al Qaeda.

But to get back on topic, yeah this episode was IMO a massive waste of potential, especially considering all the good ideas they've been setting up till this point. Rather than seriously attempting to tackle the question of how an organisation like CB would go about fighting an enemy it's utterly unequipped for they just handwaved a C.O.B.R.A knockoff for them to blast.

I do hope they get round to answering the question of why an 'environmentalist' group would give a damn about CB (especially since there are loads of historical groups that would have a problem with what CB do. Any far-left revolutionary group on the planet would take issue with CBs opposition to armed revolutions, as would many nationalist groups). Otherwise it just looks like a bad attempt to make the series politically relevent without the writers actually understanding the issues they're exploring at all.

Oh, and if Marina's grasp of Middle-eastern/Persian/Asian ethnicities is such that she can't tell the difference between a Persian and a Kurd I can't help but wonder how it was remotely possible that Marina wouldn't have met anyone in Britain who looked vaguely persian up until that point.

Anyway, here's hoping that now their terrorist quota is filled they'll get back on track.
Paranoia833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 12:22   Link #318
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Aina was wearing a black bikini when I saw it on Adult Swim...
Where as while she was wearing black frilly undies under her normal suit the version I saw does not include a swiming costume.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 12:27   Link #319
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia833 View Post
I do hope they get round to answering the question of why an 'environmentalist' group would give a damn about CB (especially since there are loads of historical groups that would have a problem with what CB do. Any far-left revolutionary group on the planet would take issue with CBs opposition to armed revolutions, as would many nationalist groups). Otherwise it just looks like a bad attempt to make the series politically relevent without the writers actually understanding the issues they're exploring at all.
I was expecting the IRA. Since they were mentioned earlier and have a history of similar attacks.

But it would be pretty much impossible to localise an IRA Active service unit and have it make sense to send giant robots round to vapourise it.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 12:32   Link #320
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
Quote:
Once a group uses unrestrained violence to attack a country, that country basically receives casus belli to do whatever they want to the instigating party. Generally, this free hand can be used to garner a great deal of public support and grants power to the rulers. In effect, countries gain quite a bit by letting everyone know that they plan to use force themselves.

Besides, France blew up Rainbow Warrior for much much less cause.
Of course, look what happened to the recent Iraqi war.
The reason given in this episode for AEU helping CB is due to the fact that terrorist groups residing in other nations are apparently outside of AEU's jurisdiction. Gee, I wonder where that came from?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote