AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Where would you want to see the 2016 Olympic Games?
Chicago (USA) 5 22.73%
Madrid (Spain) 1 4.55%
Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) 6 27.27%
Tokyo (Japan) 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-10-03, 09:29   Link #61
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Now THIS is interesting...Chicago's Loss: Is Passport Control to Blame?

From the article:

Quote:
“It’s clear the United States still has a lot of work to do to restore its place as a premier travel destination,” Roger Dow, U.S. Travel’s president, said in the statement released today. “When IOC members are commenting to our President that foreign visitors find traveling to the United States a ‘pretty harrowing experience,’ we need to take seriously the challenge of reforming our entry process to ensure there is a welcome mat to our friends around the world, even as we ensure a secure system.”
You know, I seem to remember hearing something one time...something about "Bring me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free." Hmm...must have just been a dream...
Old 2009-10-08, 15:30   Link #62
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
Well, I was thinking that Japan would win, but the lack of interest of the Japanese must have weighted against them.

I'm not unhappy with Rio being chosen, but I don't like this type of thinking. The government here will start doing a lot of things because of the games, but all of this should be done naturally, and not because we're going to hold an important event.
You are right, but hey, better getting something because of the olympics than getting nothing at all.

Besides, the olympics will give birth to a lot of jobs in all kinds of areas, for me, that's enough to validate the games. I'm not even thinking about how the city will get better for now, just the new jobs is good enough.

Besides, it's time for them to make a real subway, like the one in São Paulo. Rio's subway is nice, but it's so small it ends up being little more than a joke.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 22:38   Link #63
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
The data from the various ballots were revealed:

1st voting:
1) Madrid - 28
2) Rio - 26
3) Tokyo - 20
4) Chicago - 18 -> eliminated

2nd voting:
1) Rio - 46
2) Madrid - 29
3) Tokyo - 22 -> eliminated

Final Voting:
1) Rio - 66
2) Madrid - 32
Some of the delegates must have abstained or been in the bar when the first round was held. I count only 92 votes in that round, followed by 97, then 98. I was trying to see if I could work out the "preference orderings" of the voters by their behavior between rounds. Rio got 20 more votes in round two, most of which probably came from Chicago voters, and 20 more after Tokyo was eliminated. It seems pretty likely that Rio was the second choice of most of the voters, so I don't think the elimination method of voting distorted the outcome severely.

(There's been a lot of work on this subject since the days of the Marquis de Condorcet and Lewis Carroll. The key result is the "general possibilty theorem" of Nobel-winner Kenneth Arrow who shows that all reasonable models of democratic choice have intrinisic contradictions. Some scholars believe approval voting is a preferable method of voting on multiple alternatives when compared to the system the Olympics Committee employed.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-10-08 at 22:56.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 00:50   Link #64
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
Now THIS is interesting...Chicago's Loss: Is Passport Control to Blame?

From the article:

You know, I seem to remember hearing something one time...something about "Bring me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free." Hmm...must have just been a dream...
I've seen that mentioned several different times by different news articles and quotes from different sources. I'd say "no duh, eh?" to it.

We're losing conferences, meetings, seminars, and many professional gatherings to other countries that we used to host because participants have simply had it with the *security theatre* of US borders. This includes the arenas of science, engineering, and information technologies amongst other areas.

It costs tourism and domestic American business billions of dollars with no actual return in greater security.

The Olympics would be just another example.
Old 2009-10-09, 04:45   Link #65
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I'd like to say Tokyo but we had the Olympics in Asia too short a time ago. While Olympics were hosted in the Americas before, all of them were in North America. The way I see it, it would be better to have them in Rio, and then perhaps go back to Oceania. Has anyone actually thought that maybe they should also host the Olympics in the middle east in 2020? I was thinking maybe even India would be a good place (though its not exactly middle east). Its economy is boosting as well and it looks really promising right now. I would think that by then, it would be able to pay off the event the way China did last year.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 06:15   Link #66
Lilithium
Banned

As someone who lives in Chicago, IL. I can tell you without any doubt that I did not want the games. Lots of people feel the same way as I do. It's not as though we couldn't manage to have them hosted here, it's just it would be too bothersome.

I'm just too happy that we were eliminated first. Maybe Chicago can get off it's high horse and not expect for it to be the winning choice. Such goddamn arrogance, cheers to Mayor Daley.
Lilithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 15:05   Link #67
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilithium View Post
As someone who lives in Chicago, IL. I can tell you without any doubt that I did not want the games.
Some of my relatives live there and they weren't too hot on the idea either.

Except for my uncle in law, that is.
Old 2009-10-09, 16:05   Link #68
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hmm, having suffered the effects of having the Olympics in your country, I wouldn't want them back here for a while:P
As for which country should host them next, Rio would be nice if it can't be Madrid, although location doesn't mean that much to me...no Olympics in Africa btw?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 06:13   Link #69
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

FIFA World Cup in 2014, and the Summer Olympics in 2016: Brazil has its plate full when it comes to construction of sports infrastructure.
Old 2009-10-10, 16:28   Link #70
escimo
Paparazzi

I'm fairly glad that Rio won. First Olympics to be held in South America so in my opinion you could call that fair choice.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 14:37   Link #71
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Tokyo, or their Gundam and everything will go to waste. (the many parades they used to promote their place for olympics... I wonder how much they wasted to do that before they discovered that Tokyo lost in the second round)...

Although Rio got a chance... news keeps popping up with violence (they won't cancel it I'm sure... they'll probably deploy 70% of their entire army, 50% of their navy, 40% of their airforce and 100% of their police force to safeguard the Rio olympics...
Old 2009-10-20, 15:26   Link #72
Leo Keichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Hmm, having suffered the effects of having the Olympics in your country, I wouldn't want them back here for a while:P
Seriously? Could you explain more about that??
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 01:07   Link #73
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
FIFA World Cup in 2014, and the Summer Olympics in 2016: Brazil has its plate full when it comes to construction of sports infrastructure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
As for which country should host them next, Rio would be nice if it can't be Madrid, although location doesn't mean that much to me...no Olympics in Africa btw?
Men Brazil is screwed . I just hope that the country won't go into any financial problem after hosting two of the largest sporting events on world in span of two years.
Old 2009-10-21, 15:46   Link #74
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
Seriously? Could you explain more about that??
Lots of stories about this, a wise decision a country must make is to use the facilities after the event is over, but in athen's cause, it didn't work out so well.
I suspect china learnt from that and London will do the same...

After the torch glow has faded...
Quote:
ATHENS - Sprinklers still keep the grass at Greece's Olympic softball stadium green. But four years after the 2004 Games, it sits unused in the middle of a vast, empty parking lot, patrolled by police vehicles.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote