AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 30 25.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 53 45.69%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 19.83%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.86%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-30, 00:03   Link #61
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Another thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Doll View Post
When this series began Nayuki was able to run to school faster than Yuuichi (she's the captain of the track&field club after all). Now we see her sleep on her way to school, and sleep at class. Yuuichi keeps supporting Mai and should have less sleep than Nayuki. Mai was hunting demons the whole time, but something changed about Nayuki...
Spoiler for Nayuki's role in Kanon 2002, plus a speculation:

As for the cultural issues of Yuuichi's behaviour, I can accept that. There are anime characters of that type, for example in Meine Liebe - then again they're supposed to be Europeans.
I agree with your assessment and think that if your speculation is incorrect,
then the reason for her narcoleptic behavior would be:

Spoiler:

I actually had to watch this episode again a few hours after initially watching
it. Some of the humor was overshadowed by the dramatic scenes although
I must admit giving an experienced fighter like Mai with a personality so even
it's hard to read her a giant anteater as a present might not get you the
desired results.

I still think a giant anteater is excellent though. Where would you KEEP
something that large?

I should mention that I'm a little alarmed by the foreshadowing in the
preview for next week and the title of the next episode doubly makes me
wonder if Sayuri is going to experience something distinctly unpleasant.
Old 2006-12-30, 00:26   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Each of these girls is using a mechanism to cope with certain things. Part of the mystery is unlocking that which is trapping them in their own special unresolved situations.
Old 2006-12-30, 00:29   Link #63
Devil Doll
My name? But my name is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
I must admit giving an experienced fighter like Mai with a personality so even it's hard to read her a giant anteater as a present might not get you the desired results. I still think a giant anteater is excellent though. Where would you KEEP something that large?
Oh, I wouldn't mind that. This is anime after all. (I remember an even less suitable present in Hanaukyo Maid Tai La Verité, and what a huge symbolic value it had in the end.)
Spoiler for Kanon 2002 Kazahana:
Old 2006-12-30, 01:07   Link #64
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Wow, I didn't come to this episode till very late. I downloaded it last night too. So much Christmas vacation things going on. Thoughs, hmmm.

Not as good as last week but boy Kitagawa is awesome. I'm wishing I were him.

Shiori is getting more beautiful. I think it's her new outfit today but wow. I'm falling for that girl.

Now I see why Yuuichi brought Ayu to Mai. Makes sense plot wise. That adds more depth to the story by allowing the girls to all know each other.

Did the anteater get bigger or is it just me. I can't recall it being so gargantuan in Kanon 2k2. Holy cow, it could swallow Sayuri!

Mmmm, pumpkin pie.
Old 2006-12-30, 01:17   Link #65
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Finished ep. 13.

Aw, shucks! The delinquent is not in jail yet.

I agree that dramatic license was used with the fire extinguisher and the bucket.

This arc's not really my cup of tea. maybe as we learn more about Mai I can become more sympathetic. Other than the fire extinguisher and the bucket, a pretty good episode. It's good that they are still keeping the other girls in, especially Ayu and Shiori. I hope that Mai doesn't become Yoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Okay if you want me to spell it out....

Spoiler:

Or another way to look at this...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-30, 01:46   Link #66
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Finished ep. 13.

I hope that Mai doesn't become Yoda.
Or the next Kai.
Quote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-30, 01:52   Link #67
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Actually, it may not necessarily be a mistake. Their school may utilize an 'rotatting colours' system, one that ensures that a student that enrolls in a particular year is given one colour for her freshman year, and then sticks with that colour all the way til senior year.
I understand what you're saying, and actually you're right. In the CG below taken from Nayuki's path at the end, when both U1 and Nayuki had advanced to the third year, you can clearly see Nayuki's ribbon is still red. Thanks for pointing it out.

Spoiler for nothing spoils here, really, but just to be safe:
Old 2006-12-30, 02:14   Link #68
Devil Doll

Quote:
Spoiler:
Well, yes, that may all be true - but...
Spoiler for character analysis for Nayuki in Kanon 2002 vs. Kanon 2006:
Old 2006-12-30, 02:45   Link #69
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

(still waiting for the damned download.... I keep getting a load of "seeders" connecting that then proceed to just sit on their ass)
Bah Just wait man. Just blame on those undersea cable at taiwan being broken.
Old 2006-12-30, 03:20   Link #70
Merridew

Another nice episode from KyoAni. I can't really tell the difference between the drawing styles that seem to be distracting many others, probably because I'm a terrible drawer. The only thing that shocked me was.. was that the ball-aftermath? Just one scene compared the the half episode in the Toei version?

Other than that, I really like how they're really progressing with each of the remaining arcs. They're really giving a lot of material for rewatching. But since I've seen the Toei version, I won't be able to watch the anime again and go "Oh, that really makes sense now." For example in Ayu's scene at the school. I ended up giving a 9 for this episode, but I'm really easy to please

A note on the preview for the next episode:

Spoiler for For next episode:
Old 2006-12-30, 04:19   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Finally got to see ep 13... it was just kind of beautiful watching Mai and it brought a smile to watch Sayuri and Yuuichi shop.

I'm getting the impression that the Kuze-Sayuri-Mai conflict is actually being staged over a longer time frame, that it isn't actually completely over. <shrug> the way they're framing Mai's arc it isn't quite as critical and I kind of liked the way they gave Jun more meat to work with. I suspect Mai's focus might actually last two more episodes so I can't be too upset with that but I'm starting to wonder about the time budget for the other story aspects... or at least which elements might be compressed and others expanded. It also looks like we'll get some mix-in of Shiori focus.

Bringing Ayu in accomplished two things: it shone a bit more light on the sort of ability Mai has to sense things out of the natural and it permitted her to show as much emotion as she's shown to date when she caressed Ayu's cheek.
About Mai (experienced eyes only, eh?):
Spoiler:

About Nayuki (first-timers avoid, devil doll might be interested in these notions):
Spoiler:

Going to throw a 9 mostly because of little wierd bits of animation issues and some editing choppiness. The 0-10 scale really ought to be logarithmic so we can throw "9.X" values with 10 as instant personal ascension into Nirvana.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-12-30 at 04:34.
Old 2006-12-30, 05:40   Link #72
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:

Spoiler:
lol that really depressing to read and also the fact that yuuichi can never keep promises for nayuki cause there always someone more important than her...ouch >.< i guess this is just yuuichi with her multiple personality towards different girls ~ dam T_T

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-12-30, 08:47   Link #73
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I had always thought Kitagawa to be just "another side character", lol, so seeing him come help Mai out was a welcome surprise.

Of all the Kanon girls, Kyo-Ani seems to be giving more attention to Shiori's ever expanding wardrobe, as she's one of the few girls, besides Ayu and Makoto, to not wear a school uniform, well, most of the time for her anyway. I wonder if Kyo-Ani will ever have her wear her original costume?

Now that someone above has mentioned it, these fire extinguishers sure are made of paper. While I'm not surprised Mai can lift something as heavy as that, as she deals with heavy duty demon hunting every night, Yuuichi sure can wave a wooden katana.

Though they've let Kitagawa take over Sayuri's place in helping Mai, I'm glad Kyo-Ani kept the part where Mai gives Kuze that menacing look as she warns Kuze to stay off her lover, I mean best friend, Sayuri, or face the consequences.

Nayuki's sleeping antics have reached a new level, though it's nothing new for an old Kanon gamer like me, it's still refreshing to see her act funnily. Interesting comments above concerning Nayuki's sleeping problem.

Spoiler for Nayuki:

Quote of the episode: Use your Uguu~ Power!

A 9 as it can't be 10 all the time.
Old 2006-12-30, 10:44   Link #74
Devil Doll

Thanks for making me aware how much I miss by not knowing the game. The Kanon 2006 Nayuki makes sense to me now, although I prefer the Kanon 2002 Nayuki any day.
Old 2006-12-30, 10:55   Link #75
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

I already gave this episode a 9 because it didn't feel as good as last weeks. I realize after reading posts here that this is the first time the 2k2 Kanon has something the 2k6 does not, the ball aftermath as someone called it.

The episode still gets a 9 (simply because it's still breathtaking) but I agree, there's something missing that I don't think Kyoani can make up for from it's loss.
Old 2006-12-30, 18:11   Link #76
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
  • Are Fire-Extinguishers(F-Ex) made of paper in Japan? :twitch: When I was in the army, I handled F-Ex a lot, and let me assure you, they are not hurlable unless you have the strength of an Ogre or something.

You can throw a F-Ex, no doubt, but not in such an aerodynamic flight path as shown in this episode. The way they're showing it, they're making it as though Mai is Superwoman or something. :heh:

Also, they're EXTREMELY hard, and my eyebrows paid a visit to the moon when I saw Yuuichi effortlessly CRUSH the F-Ex with his WOODEN sword.

Judging from the flight path alone, and using the formula F=Ma, Yuuichi's wrists should have been sprained at least, if not shattered. Not to mention the WOODEN sword, which should have splintered.

HALE, a metal rod would have bent from the force.

Please, can somebody verify this?
Cheers.
I would definitely agree that this is artistic license gone a bit far, especially that huge dent he made in the canister. Besides, an extinguisher that weak wouldn't even be in service! The ones we have at work (with the exception of our FM200 tank) are regularly tested every few years with pressurized water (water does not compress and is actually its densest as a liquid, making it ideal for spotting structural weaknesses) to make sure that the canister's integrity has not been compromised. Because had the extinguisher burst the way it supposedly did, as one other poster suggested, that would have thrown shrapnel all over the place. Possibly, even Mai may not be safe at the distance from her target because the shrapnel would be ejected at such a high velocity in all directions.

And to give you an idea of the kind of gas that's in these, since halon was quite valuable in the day, according to the person who tests our FM200 tank, automatic gas suppression systems were frequently tested with R-11 (it may be R-12, but I forget)*, a refrigerant, whose formulation and density are very similar to those of halon**. The extinguishant will be a liquid under the working pressure of a charged fire extinguisher, which is pressurized with nitrogen gas, like in our FM200 tank. It'll boil nearly instantly once all pressure has been released, so not only would Yuuichi get a faceful of shrapnel, but some frostbite to boot (assuming most of the boiling liquefied gas hits him).

However, even with all the above said, I think the effect was more a cartoonish-type sight gag effect they were after, much like the pail right before it. Not to mention, yeah, I guess Kuze should watch out for flying fire extinguishers with a weak canister should he ever hurt Sayuri. ;)

* This was before it had been discovered that chlorofluorocarbons harmed the ozone layer. However, some of the newer extinguishants are like their freon-like cousins in that they are haloalkane gases, but they've been formulated so as not to harm the ozone layer. FM200 is one such extinguishant. Non-haloalkane gaseous extinguishants include argon gas and carbon dioxide, for example.

** Halon has been banned as an extinguishant partly because of its ozone-depleting effects, but also because the by-products created during extinguishing (which is chemical decomposition) are potentially quite toxic (IIRP).

--Ian.
Old 2006-12-30, 18:54   Link #77
martino
makes no files now

Mai's arc is starting to get interesting now...

A very good episode, again, with the typical humour in the package.
Old 2006-12-30, 20:01   Link #78
DarrenW

I thought this was another great episode following on the ball. A good combination of suspense, comedy, drama and even (unexpectedly) action.

A lot of people have complained about the animation...but could someone actually explain what's wrong with it? As far as I can tell, it looks awesome, especially the action scenes. What quality was sacrificed?

It's incredible how stuff they can pack into a single episode without it feeling rushed or lacking.
My only complaint with this episode is the Ayu scene. While it's a great idea for her to meet Mai, I thought her being at the freaky school at night felt forced, particularly because it seems like a cruel thing for Yuuichi to do. I mean, he actually tells here that there are demons there, knowing she's terrified of them, but this time he's not even joking. In fact, as far as Yuuichi knows, Ayu could have gotten caught up in the inevitable fight that came later. Or she could have been attacked by the demon (or even a regular mugger) on her way back home alone at night. Because of that, having Yuuichi drag Ayu to a haunted school, and having Ayu voluntarily go, felt really forced.

I'm speaking as someone who's never played the game, but who has seen the Toei Kanon. I wasn't that impressed with Toei's version (this is hardly my favorite genre anyways), but I think this remake is an excellent piece of work.
Old 2006-12-30, 23:48   Link #79
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

Kanon (end of Epsiode 13)

Fate/Stay Night (end of Episode 2)

Saber (to Emiya): Let me ask of you... Are you my Master?

Both scenes had a vaguely similar feel to each other. Mai doing Saber and Yuuichi as Emiya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
There's the anteater~

Still, the winner of this episode was:
Spoiler:
Otherwise the anteater was just so cute.
Old 2006-12-31, 01:23   Link #80
Lumir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenTheSweeper View Post
Kanon (end of Epsiode 13)

Fate/Stay Night (end of Episode 2)

Saber (to Emiya): Let me ask of you... Are you my Master?

Both scenes had a vaguely similar feel to each other. Mai doing Saber and Yuuichi as Emiya.

Otherwise the anteater was just so cute.
Lol i didnt notice the similarity between saber and mai, nice catch. Lol anyways id have to say this ep was made by...

"Try hard with your Uguu!!! powers!!!"
"Whats dose that mean?"