AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-15, 21:20   Link #921
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
They already did it with Melancholy and Sigh, why stop now?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-16, 15:49   Link #922
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
They already did it with Melancholy and Sigh, why stop now?
Actually, this isn't TOO bad, mostly because Diss. is well suited for a climax rather than a begining. We probably will begin with Diss, flash forward to later stories, and then flash back to finish it.

Personally, I'd like Diss. to run the entire second season, with all the... new... characters being fleshed out more than in the novels and the entire... new... setting being more thoroughly explored, also more than in the novels. Sorta like how that one manga, Diss of Yuki, I think it's called, is doing; though not in the same fashion or THAT detailed.

If KyoAni would like to make up for E8 AND make a boatload of money off merch and DVDs, I'd say going above and beyond with a full season of Diss. is a great way to do it. And it'd please the fans and give 'em more than the novels did.

All Glory to the Greentext.
Old 2009-08-16, 16:11   Link #923
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

There's not really all that much room to fill out, though. That five day time period kinda kills it.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-16, 23:21   Link #924
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

So...is this the point where we're pretty much just waiting for what's to come after TMoHS (2009)? Seems like things have died down quite a bit now that Sigh's started and we [think] we know what the rest of the season has in store.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-08-16, 23:52   Link #925
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Yep... Sigh is a bit of a mood killer, isn't it?
Old 2009-08-17, 00:00   Link #926
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
There's not really all that much room to fill out, though. That five day time period kinda kills it.
Well...

Spoiler for Novel 4:

Of course, the above would require levels of creativity that KyoAni may not be capable of (not the simple concepts, of course - even I could come up with them, as I just did - but rather actually writing them/animating them).

Quote:
The problem with Sighs is that we've already seen the funnest parts of it - the actual finished movie product, and Live a Live.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-08-17 at 00:14.
Old 2009-08-17, 00:38   Link #927
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
We probably will begin with Diss, flash forward to later stories, and then flash back to finish it.
Well, actual conclusion to Disappearance is set after Snow Mountauin Syndrome, isn't it.

Quote:
The problem with Sighs is that we've already seen the funnest parts of it - the actual finished movie product, and Live a Live.
Objection! Both aren't parts of Sighs, but separate stories even in novels.
Livealive has nothing to do with Sighs at all.
Old 2009-08-17, 00:47   Link #928
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Well, actual conclusion to Disappearance is set after Snow Mountauin Syndrome, isn't it.

Objection! Both aren't parts of Sighs, but separate stories even in novels.
Livealive has nothing to do with Sighs at all.
Well, they're both part of the same cultural festival narrative, though. If you want to get this technical... we've already seen the best parts of the culture festival; Sighs is just showing us the lead-up to it.
Old 2009-08-17, 01:47   Link #929
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
we've already seen the best parts of the culture festival; Sighs is just showing us the lead-up to it.
Again, Sighs isn't about culture festival. Its highlights lie elsewhere.
In Haruhi's reality-changing powers, for example.
Or MIKURUBIIIMU.
Old 2009-08-17, 02:10   Link #930
VentAileron

Quote:
Which mood? The 'Screw KyoAni for wasting 8 episodes on Endless Eight mood!'?
Old 2009-08-17, 02:11   Link #931
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

The "I want to post" mood. As horrible as people claim Endless Eight was, at least there was activity here.
Old 2009-08-17, 04:42   Link #932
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
The "I want to post bitch" mood. As horrible as people claim Endless Eight was, at least there was activity here.
Corrected. Frankly, I don't miss the extra "activity".

Quote:
And even then, the "new characters" are only in the story less than three of those days.

That said, there are ways to extend the length of the story. A little fleshing out of what there is of the "new characters" could do it, but someone has an Itsuki-esque infodump around the middle of the story that is glossed over in the novel, but could be interesting to actually hear spelled out. I agree that a straight retelling would net 5 episodes, putting it almost on level with Melancholy, but looking at what else would need to fit into a true second season (whether one cour or two), 6 works out better, and Disappearance really is the best full-volume story in the series (even if Intrigues is my favorite for the time travel lulz and Tsuruya-san) and deserves as much time as Melancholy got.

There also happen to be a number of excellent "go to commercial" and "end the episode" moments in Disappearance, which is one of the reasons why I'd rather they didn't turn it into a movie. Not that I have seen any evidence whatsoever that they would, but there's been a lot of talk about the possibility, and we've seen what can happen to this fanbase when expectations and actuality collide...
Old 2009-08-17, 04:45   Link #933
thirdlc

Quote:
While they didn't announce a renewed airing of the first season per se, they did announce the renewed airing of "Melacnholy".
I give a yes to that, though it's like a play of words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
ANN never referred to it as the renewed airing until they announced the staff listing (which was in the March Newtype). The articles before that were just related to the cover and commercial promoting the magazine before release, which is when the rep said it was a 'rebroadcast' because they wouldn't say anything else about it (probably because the issue wasn't out yet and they couldn't).
As I said, the representative have never said such a thing.
Old 2009-08-17, 06:08   Link #934
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Again, Sighs isn't about culture festival. Its highlights lie elsewhere.
In Haruhi's reality-changing powers, for example.
Or MIKURUBIIIMU.
Those highlights, though somewhat understated, where in Episode00 too.

I'll say this - as it pertains to Sighs, it'll be interesting to see...

1) Which scenes they decide to keep, and which ones they don't.

2) Of the scenes they keep, what (if any) editing/censorship there is.
Old 2009-08-17, 09:22   Link #935
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Those highlights, though somewhat understated, where in Episode00 too.
I've responded to this in the spoiler thread.
Old 2009-08-17, 09:28   Link #936
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
From what I'm hearing, the minimal censorship is going to be the best adaptation. They can probably get away with a lot since it has a time slot in the wee hours of the morning.
Old 2009-08-17, 09:32   Link #937
bayoab

Quote:
Having read through over half the novel so far, I don't see why you think there is going to be anything censored or edited. There is nothing objectionable.
Old 2009-08-17, 09:49   Link #938
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
From what I'm hearing, the minimal censorship is going to be the best adaptation. They can probably get away with a lot since it has a time slot in the wee hours of the morning.
That's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Having read through over half the novel so far, I don't see why you think there is going to be anything censored or edited. There is nothing objectionable.
In Season 1, they
Spoiler for Island villa episodes:

Beyond that, I get the impression that KyoAni wants to present Haruhi as the always likable Genki Girl, downplaying (if not removing entirely) her darker side. Such a goal clashes with the 2nd half of Chapter 4 of Novel 2...

You're right, though, in that there's nothing truly objectionable in the novel when it comes to, say, what teenagers can watch.
Old 2009-08-17, 10:28   Link #939
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
As I said, the representative have never said such a thing.
It seems like ANN got that wording from Newtype after they learned what was in it. I can't read Newtype myself, but they started using that term after the information from the article was out. I would imagine 'renewed' appears in the March 2009 Newtype, but obviously can't say for sure. The rep probably wasn't allowed to say anything else until that issue was released (and they asked him before it was).

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-08-17, 10:59   Link #940
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Beyond that, I get the impression that KyoAni wants to present Haruhi as the always likable Genki Girl, downplaying (if not removing entirely) her darker side. Such a goal clashes with the 2nd half of Chapter 4 of Novel 2...
Why do you think it? Except for that Lone Island scene(it is spoiler, having being aired already?) all her "evil" deeds are portraied feithfully. While this particular Sighs scen might be played down, she will probably be a compleate bitch here, or the scene will not make sense.
Closed Thread