AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-05-01, 21:32   Link #901
RandomAvatarFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabiki Asakura View Post
Y E S YES YES YES THAT GIVES US A LOT OF FREE TIME TO FINISH EPISODE 3! SORRY EVERYONE WHO WAS WAITING TO BUY IT BEFORE 2013, HAHA

...but that's sad because I was also waiting to buy episode 1 for myself as christmas gift ._.

so sad Umineko fans have to suffer, at least make a sequel for the anime already =<
Well, Volume 1 of Legend should be out, by then. EP1 is a free trial if you're talking about the VN.

Without love this picture cannot be seen.
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 09:20   Link #902
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAvatarFan View Post
Yeah, I understood that now. It's probably a web mistake, and will at least be corrected on the actual volumes.
No, they actually got the other mangaka to remake the manga because they can't accept their error.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 11:14   Link #903
RandomAvatarFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
No, they actually got the other mangaka to remake the manga because they can't accept their error.
Well people would go to extremes to cover up their mistakes.

Old 2012-06-01, 03:36   Link #904
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Sort of off topic, but does anyone know who made the decision to make the official English name of the series "Umineko: When They Cry", and why?
Thunder Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 05:32   Link #905
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Book View Post
Sort of off topic, but does anyone know who made the decision to make the official English name of the series "Umineko: When They Cry", and why?
Official English name? First time I've heard of that.

But I'd guess it would be tp match "Higurashi:When They Cry", which makes sense in neither Japanese nor English. Mangagamer's translation.

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 06:46   Link #906
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Yeah, apparently the manga is getting an official localization.

I hate the localized name for the series because it sounds like absolutely ridiculous Engrish. It forces people to to have to look up "Umineko" just to understand what half of it means, and even then the only people that would be doing that are those already interested in the series. "When the Seagulls Cry" at least would have sounded better, and "Umineko no Naku Koro ni" is at least a known title in the anime world.

Trying to force "When They Cry" in there (Since that was also the localized name of the god awful English Higurashi dub) just makes the title of the series sound forced and awful. It doesn't flow.

Ugh, I can't even imagine the various ways they'll screw Umineko's story up while localizing it.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:43   Link #907
RandomAvatarFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Book View Post
"When the Seagulls Cry" at least would have sounded better, and "Umineko no Naku Koro ni" is at least a known title in the anime world.

Trying to force "When They Cry" in there (Since that was also the localized name of the god awful English Higurashi dub).
No, When They Cry is the subtitle at the bottom of both Higurashi's and Umineko's VN logo. (Welcome to Hinamizawa/Rokkenjima.) And even the localized anime uses Higurashi no Naku Koroni as a subtitle. They throw the "Umineko" in there because that's the name people are most familiar with. Why is this in the spoilers/theories thread?

Old 2012-06-01, 09:53   Link #908
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I guess he looked for a general thread. Either way, moved the posts here.

I see where thunder book comes from: associating Umineko and "when they cry" is just a very bad localization move, since it is basically borrowing both japanese and english terms.
"When They Cry" is actually only the brand name, so using it as part of the title isn't exactly that great, since it isn't the name of the said story.
Pulling a "When the cicadas cry" and "When the seagulls cry" would be much less awkward, and it doesn't take long to figure out the link with "when the xxxxx cry".
Old 2012-06-01, 10:14   Link #909
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

At the Bookdepository, they have the Umineko manga up for pre-order. The name they have there really is "Umineko When They Cry". Unfortunate. Amazon has it listed as Umineko WHEN THEY CRY.

Looks like it's stuck with the bad name.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 10:44   Link #910
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAvatarFan View Post
No, When They Cry is the subtitle at the bottom of both Higurashi's and Umineko's VN logo. (Welcome to Hinamizawa/Rokkenjima.) And even the localized anime uses Higurashi no Naku Koroni as a subtitle. They throw the "Umineko" in there because that's the name people are most familiar with. Why is this in the spoilers/theories thread?
I haven't seen any DVD's that have that written on there. Only "When They Cry". Then after that I know Mangagamer bizarrely titled the VN "Higurashi:When They Cry" like someone said.

Just none of these localization decisions make any kind of sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I guess he looked for a general thread. Either way, moved the posts here.
Thank you.
Old 2012-06-01, 22:37   Link #911
RandomAvatarFan

Spoiler for Higurashi Dvd image:

You can see "Higurashi no Naku Koroni" right there.

I don't mind it, I actually prefer using "When xxx Cry" when talking to my family or friends who aren't anime fans. I've read somewhere that the red is an official part of the title or something, which makes me laugh when I look at Higurashi's manga.

Old 2012-06-01, 23:44   Link #912
Thunder Book
Endless Member

So it is there. I can barely read it though.
Old 2012-06-02, 10:53   Link #913
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
"Umineko: When They Cry" and "Higurashi: When They Cry" are perfectly reasonable localizations of the title. And I even prefer them best like this.

You guys aren't making yourself look any better by actually being bothered by something so small... seriously, saying it's "Engrish"? No, no, no... it's using "When They Cry" as the brand name it is, and applying the appropriate series title before it. It makes perfect sense.
Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 11:25   Link #914
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Well technically it should have been "Umineko No Naku Koro Ni: When They Cry" or "When The Seagulls Cry: When They Cry"... well i would prefer the first one.

Well how about "Seagulls: When They Cry"?

But whatever... let's just hope the title will not have any negative effect...
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 11:26   Link #915
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

To be pedantic, they aren't using "Umineko: When They Cry" or "Higurashi: When They Cry" for the manga translations. There's no colon there. Yen Press uses "Umineko WHEN THEY CRY" and Higurashi WHEN THEY CRY". Although on the actual Higurashi volumes, the "Higurashi" is the main title and the "WHEN THEY CRY" is a smaller subtitle, so it doesn't look so bad.

I don't think it makes perfect sense to translate it that way, because it mixes and matches Japanese and English. It doesn't give the full series title either, but truncates it and puts on the brand name instead. Granted, it looks sillier if they use that format and do translate it. "Seagulls: When They Cry" and "Cicadas: When They Cry" makes it look like an animal manga.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 12:02   Link #916
Drifloon

Well, the obvious problem with translating it that way is that when the characters say 'when the seagulls cry' it's no longer a title drop...

I still don't see why they can't just call it "When the Seagulls Cry".
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 12:21   Link #917
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
I still don't see why they can't just call it "When the Seagulls Cry".
Because people know it as Umineko.
Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 12:30   Link #918
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru View Post
I could imagine the title of EP1 being:

Umineko: When They Cry: Legend

GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 14:38   Link #919
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Quote:
You know what they don't know it as? Umineko WHEN THEY CRY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
To be pedantic, they aren't using "Umineko: When They Cry" or "Higurashi: When They Cry" for the manga translations. There's no colon there. Yen Press uses "Umineko WHEN THEY CRY" and Higurashi WHEN THEY CRY".
Fair enough point, but does the colon being there really change anything on a grammatical level?
Old 2012-06-02, 17:49   Link #920
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
It's not hard to get 'seagulls cry' from 'umineko' if you already know the series.

Anyway, I guess you're right, it's a way too small matter to be bothered with. At least it's getting localized. (I wonder how bummed US readers are gonna be when they read EP8's ending!!! )

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen, shounen