AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2015-08-29, 03:16   Link #1
Tiberium Wolf

What codec pack are you using these days?

I make this thread because I just found out the went I updated a few days ago the k-lite codec pack. It had adware. It was annoying to remove that.
There was no option to not to install that nasty program.

Since my backup image is too old I decided to make a new windows install.

I prefer codec packs like k-lite since if I want to encode something the codecs are already there.
It must have MPC.
It must be a codec pack that gets updated regularly.

So what codec pack are you ppl using?
Old 2015-08-29, 03:20   Link #2
IceHism

Kawaii Codec Pack with SVP.

SVP isn't needed but KCP is awesome and you should use it.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-29, 04:33   Link #3
speck123

I'm using MPC-HC, LAVFilters and xy-vsfilter.
speck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-29, 07:03   Link #4
Honoakari
Lurking Member

CCCP (with MPC-HC included). Been using it for at least half a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism
KCP is awesome and you should use it.
Hmm... I did a quick Google search on KCP. According to some people, KCP is superior to CCCP. But CCCP works just fine, so I see no reason to switch... Is there any significant improvement in quality/performance that I'm missing out on?
Old 2015-08-29, 07:06   Link #5
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Normally K-Lite should have an option to NOT install the bundled adware (if any), so I'm wondering whether you got a legit installer. I've recently updated to 11.40 (K-Lite is frequently updated and does offer a wider gamut of codecs compared to CCCP) and there is no adware on my PC; furthermore, I don't think the latest build had AW openly bundled in the installer. The last time I got sucker-punched by adware was when I reinstalled jDownloader2 Beta (when I made the upgrade to Windows 10) and rushed through the install process, thereby NOT paying attention to that page where the "install this program" option was displayed.

EDIT: just reinstalled 11.40 and, nope, no AW offer in the installer. Again, check your source.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2015-08-29 at 11:03.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-29, 07:21   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

SMPlayer for Windows would dispense with the need for any codec packs. It uses the mplayer engine with its own built-in codecs. It plays pretty much everything I've thrown at it in Linux or Windows.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-29, 09:50   Link #7
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoakari View Post
CCCP (with MPC-HC included). Been using it for at least half a decade.

Hmm... I did a quick Google search on KCP. According to some people, KCP is superior to CCCP. But CCCP works just fine, so I see no reason to switch... Is there any significant improvement in quality/performance that I'm missing out on?
Significant? It depends on how much you care about "muh anime" and if you're looking for the best of the best. I mean, there are still a lot of people using VLC player and they find it okay whereas I would find it blehhh. On my current setup, I'm watching 60fps anime with some pretty awesome camera panning. The past setups I've used before this (which included cccp at one time) were still watchable.

The main difference between CCCP and KCP is that KCP uses a preconfigured MadVR renderer while CCCP doesn't have any of that. MadVR is usually a bitch to setup but KCP makes the installation smooth and easy. You could even install MadVR yourself if you look up a guide and configure it to run with CCCP.

There is definitely a performance difference. Significant or not is up to you.
Old 2015-08-29, 10:09   Link #8
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Normally K-Lite should have an option to NOT install the bundled adware (if any), so I'm wondering whether you got a legit installer. I've recently updated to 11.40 (K-Lite is frequently updated and does offer a wider gamut of codecs compared to CCCP) and there is no adware on my PC; furthermore, I don't think the latest build had AW openly bundled in the installer. The last time I got suck-punched by adware was when I reinstalled jDownloader2 Beta (when I made the upgrade to Windows 10) and rushed through the install process, thereby NOT paying attention to that page where the "install this program" option was displayed.

EDIT: just reinstalled 11.40 and, nope, no AW offer in the installer. Again, check your source.
I had the 11.30 that had web companion in it. I missed it because the window that asked to install or not it was accept/decline window.
Old 2015-08-29, 13:26   Link #9
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Significant? It depends on how much you care about "muh anime" and if you're looking for the best of the best. I mean, there are still a lot of people using VLC player and they find it okay whereas I would find it blehhh. On my current setup, I'm watching 60fps anime with some pretty awesome camera panning. The past setups I've used before this (which included cccp at one time) were still watchable.

The main difference between CCCP and KCP is that KCP uses a preconfigured MadVR renderer while CCCP doesn't have any of that. MadVR is usually a bitch to setup but KCP makes the installation smooth and easy. You could even install MadVR yourself if you look up a guide and configure it to run with CCCP.

There is definitely a performance difference. Significant or not is up to you.
The performance part is what concerns me. If you're running on an older laptop, MadVR can easily bring the system to its knees. CCCP's developer specifically goes out of his way to test the software on some really basic machines in order to eke out that last bit of performance. If you've got the hardware to really rock MadVR, then people should take advantage of it.

To the OP: SMPlayer is also a great little package. The portable package can run all sorts of files from literally anywhere. If quickly returning to operational is your priority, none get you there faster than SMPlayer.
Old 2015-08-29, 18:58   Link #10
Wolfe La Piroko
Choir of Angels

Could someone explain what is wrong with VLC? Ive used it for years and Ive never had a problem (except sometimes building font cache takes forever)
Wolfe La Piroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-30, 03:39   Link #11
sneaker

Today VLC is okay for most Anime watchers. Back in the day it was really horrible. (no subtitle styling, bad multi-threaded decoding, bad hardware decoding, no ordered chapters, late H.264 10 bit support and lots of bugs)
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-30, 12:20   Link #12
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
Today VLC is okay for most Anime watchers. Back in the day it was really horrible. (no subtitle styling, bad multi-threaded decoding, bad hardware decoding, no ordered chapters, late H.264 10 bit support and lots of bugs)
To clarify, it's ok for most PC anime watchers, and practically the only choice for Mac anime watchers. Support is ok nowadays. I just use CCCP because it seems to be the most widely supported, regardless of machine age (for Windows, anyway).

If you're trying to watch anime on Android, though, VLC doesn't hold a candle to MX Player.
Old 2015-08-30, 12:55   Link #13
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
To clarify, it's ok for most PC anime watchers, and practically the only choice for Mac anime watchers. Support is ok nowadays. I just use CCCP because it seems to be the most widely supported, regardless of machine age (for Windows, anyway).

If you're trying to watch anime on Android, though, VLC doesn't hold a candle to MX Player.
Nah, the best choice for *nix (like macs, Linux,etc) is mpv. Its the mpc-hc for it
Old 2015-08-30, 16:34   Link #14
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Nah, the best choice for *nix (like macs, Linux,etc) is mpv. Its the mpc-hc for it
Huh. I'll have to look into that. How does it hold up versus SMPlayer on Linux?
Old 2015-08-30, 16:58   Link #15
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Huh. I'll have to look into that. How does it hold up versus SMPlayer on Linux?
SMplayer isn't a player. Its a GUI that holds another player inside it. It either uses mplayer or mpv. Mpv is the fork and newly updated version of mplayer. Mplayer isn't being developed anymore. So you can technically use both together.
Old 2015-08-30, 17:12   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you're interested in smplayer+mpv and running a flavor of Ubuntu, read my post here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...20#post5627820
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-04, 15:21   Link #17
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I've used MPC-HC in conjunction with CCCP for years. Very, very easy setup (most people are fine with default settings) and I've never run into any issues with any formats or subtitle styles to date. I think I also downloaded Kawaii Codec Pack at one point, though frankly I can't remember.