AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2005-12-26, 02:59   Link #21
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Why translate now, when TYPE-MOON is currently re-making "Tsukihime" complete with Sacchin's (Yumiduka Satsuki's) ending? I think it would be better to wait until they re-release the complete version.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 03:18   Link #22
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Why translate now, when TYPE-MOON is currently re-making "Tsukihime" complete with Sacchin's (Yumiduka Satsuki's) ending? I think it would be better to wait until they re-release the complete version.
Mah~ it's not like they just started translating Tsukihime, rather they've been working on it for more than a year I believe and are close to completion.

I've heard about a Tsukihime remake, but I though those were mostly rumors? Though it would be great to finally get a Sacchin scenario ^^

Any Links?
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 04:00   Link #23
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeShounen
A funny thought just popped into my head just now.

I wonder if game companies also try to license the "Visual Novel" formats for the series (F/SN, Tsukihime) like what they did with the Anime versions...

*Prays to God that Mirror Moon would be a success and that fans from all over the world would have a perpetual holiday once the English translation's finished*
There already are companies who do that, but the general trend for translated visual novels is that they are usually: old, short, light on story/plot, heavy on ero/H scenes. The truly valuable games like Tsukihime, Fate/stay night, CLANNAD, etc. feature long (you could even say epic) stories that are incredibly deep and complex, with ero/H scenes at a minimal. In the western countries, people buy these translated games with the thought of "hentai games" in mind, which means that's their only selling point. So there is no point for companies to seek out games that costs more to license and takes 100 times longer to translate (sounds about right) when they can achieve the similiar/same sales with mediocre crap eroges.

Quote:
They are? BUT WHAT WILL THE COMMUNITY EVER DO IF EVEN THE "TRAGIC HEROINE SACCHIN" GAG IS GONE TOO?
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 04:08   Link #24
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
They are? BUT WHAT WILL THE COMMUNITY EVER DO IF EVEN THE "TRAGIC HEROINE SACCHIN" GAG IS GONE TOO?
Aww, we all love Sacchin to become happy, right?
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 05:27   Link #25
stonedzombie
またね

Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
just wondering........what is the REAL ending for Tsukihime?.....there seems to be sooo many out there, and i hope the real one wasnt the one in the anime!
stonedzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 05:53   Link #26
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

The "True" Ending is the one that was used in the anime. In case you don't understand it, and few can understand it without playing the game, this is what really happened:

Spoiler for End of Tsukihime:

At least that is what I understand from hearing people who have played the game say about the ending. If I made any mistakes, I hope someone will correct them. I look forward to learning more for myself once the game is fully translated.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 05:54   Link #27
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedzombie
just wondering........what is the REAL ending for Tsukihime?.....there seems to be sooo many out there, and i hope the real one wasnt the one in the anime!
Technically, ALL the endings are real... anyway, most people consider Arc's ending the official one, but not the most informative or vital one. Kohaku's ending is considered the most important plot-wise...

And the Anime ended as a simple version of Arc's ending.

Although for people who played the fighting game, it appears Type-moon modified the ending slightly. ^_^
Arc forever!
Old 2006-01-08, 02:53   Link #28
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Aww, we all love Sacchin to become happy, right?
Yup, we don't want her to have any more "Happy birthday to me ;_;" scenes...
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 16:51   Link #29
mone-chan

About the remake type moon really wants to do a remake however the last official word I know of from them is that they decided to work on some new project and push the tsukihime remake back to a later time.
About the translation wouldn't you want to know the origial story and not just what was in the remake. You also need to take into account the fact that the text in the remake will most likely be locked to make translating it very difficult or next to impossible.
mone-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 01:05   Link #30
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mone-chan
About the translation wouldn't you want to know the origial story and not just what was in the remake. You also need to take into account the fact that the text in the remake will most likely be locked to make translating it very difficult or next to impossible.
Why would they want to do that? It doesn't really net them any financial benefit to put the time and effort into making it really hard to extract files. Besides, if the executable can read it, someone can extract the text. I still don't quite get why minori used Blowfish on their newer games though ^_^;
Old 2006-01-10, 09:34   Link #31
mone-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Why would they want to do that? It doesn't really net them any financial benefit to put the time and effort into making it really hard to extract files. Besides, if the executable can read it, someone can extract the text. I still don't quite get why minori used Blowfish on their newer games though ^_^;
Simple to fight against pirates. If you use different encription methods for different parts of the game it will take longer to get past them. Let's take the teatime ero-game company as an example. They are a 3D game maufacturer that originally didn't encript text or the graphics files of the game then they started to do it to fight illeagal downloads which lead to the problem of extracting translating and reinstalling the text in the game. For instance with the fantasy SLG adventure Sacred Plume people tried to translate the game but it ended up with causing a bug that locked the game everytime you entered the combat screen rendering it unplayable with the translation patch. Also with School days the only reason you could extract the video was because the game had a major bug on release and 0verflow released a program to allow conversion to AVI so they could let owners of the game help figure out what the problem was, but to date no one has managed to reconvert the AVI back into the game's encripted format or pull the encripted subtitles 0verflow added later on out of the game for translation.
Finally you have the fact that Ero-game manufacturers what do distance themselves from the export of the games they make do to the fear of another major backlash against them. the first one was a japanese only backlash but if something really extreme gets translated and into the hands of the children of some ultra conservative people then it would be very bad for buisness.
Old 2006-01-10, 15:13   Link #32
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Simple to fight against pirates. If you use different encription methods for different parts of the game it will take longer to get past them. Let's take the teatime ero-game company as an example. They are a 3D game maufacturer that originally didn't encript text or the graphics files of the game then they started to do it to fight illeagal downloads which lead to the problem of extracting translating and reinstalling the text in the game. For instance with the fantasy SLG adventure Sacred Plume people tried to translate the game but it ended up with causing a bug that locked the game everytime you entered the combat screen rendering it unplayable with the translation patch. Also with School days the only reason you could extract the video was because the game had a major bug on release and 0verflow released a program to allow conversion to AVI so they could let owners of the game help figure out what the problem was, but to date no one has managed to reconvert the AVI back into the game's encripted format or pull the encripted subtitles 0verflow added later on out of the game for translation.
Finally you have the fact that Ero-game manufacturers what do distance themselves from the export of the games they make do to the fear of another major backlash against them. the first one was a japanese only backlash but if something really extreme gets translated and into the hands of the children of some ultra conservative people then it would be very bad for buisness.
I don't see how encrypting the data files helps battle piracy... Encrypting the executables that deal with checking for a CD/DVD? Sure. Encrypting the data files? Why would they? All you really need to do to allow a game to be pirated is to make a copy of the disc and then remove authenticity checking in the executable. One does not need to be able to decrypt the data to do so.
Old 2006-01-10, 17:42   Link #33
mone-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
I don't see how encrypting the data files helps battle piracy... Encrypting the executables that deal with checking for a CD/DVD? Sure. Encrypting the data files? Why would they? All you really need to do to allow a game to be pirated is to make a copy of the disc and then remove authenticity checking in the executable. One does not need to be able to decrypt the data to do so.
not really you have to remember that we are talkng about games made for japanese versions of windows (XP as you can have ways around it in 98 and ME) programs that look for the fonts windows have runs into problems if they can't find them. you have games that will not run even with you have region settings to japanese and microsoft's MUI(multi user interface) installed unless you have a no dvd patch or the original DVD to run it. but it is something they just started this year and the no DVD patch doesn't always fix the problem. You also need to remember that ripping the CG or the text story is also a problem for this type of game remake program 1.6 GB or CG 480MB text file 2MB after all why pay for a tsuki hime remake if you can just download the pictures and the full text of the story ?
Then take into account even if they can extract/translate/reinstall and debug the remake's text you will still be looking at 1-2 years before you get a tranlated version being beta tested instead of one being beta tested as we speak.
Old 2006-01-10, 20:24   Link #34
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
not really you have to remember that we are talkng about games made for japanese versions of windows (XP as you can have ways around it in 98 and ME) programs that look for the fonts windows have runs into problems if they can't find them. you have games that will not run even with you have region settings to japanese and microsoft's MUI(multi user interface) installed unless you have a no dvd patch or the original DVD to run it. but it is something they just started this year and the no DVD patch doesn't always fix the problem.
Since you bought the game and it is a Japanese game, you should obviously have the DVD and know how to run Japanese games, right? And games have been requiring the original discs for years now; it is not a new development. Furthermore, it's not like the game companies are targeting gaijin without Japanese Windows who just downloaded a game off the Internet.

Quote:
You also need to remember that ripping the CG or the text story is also a problem for this type of game remake program 1.6 GB or CG 480MB text file 2MB after all why pay for a tsuki hime remake if you can just download the pictures and the full text of the story ?
Then take into account even if they can extract/translate/reinstall and debug the remake's text you will still be looking at 1-2 years before you get a tranlated version being beta tested instead of one being beta tested as we speak.
Your argument is akin to "why pay for a game when you can download it?" and you should know the answer to that. The difference between 200MB of pictures and text and a 1.6GB game is the difference between an actual movie and a flipbook. Furthermore, someone dedicated enough to want to download 200MB of pictures and text to play through a game isn't going to break a sweat downloading the whole game.

As for the extra time involved, since the scripts are translated already, and that there's a very slim chance of TYPE MOON rewriting the entire game script from scratch, a simple program can be made to patch the new script using the old translation, and then extract out the nonmatching lines for the extra text that needs to be translated. Trust me, the bulk of the work is in the translation/editing of the game script. Technical aspects including adapting to a new version of the script, extraction, insertion, etc. are not time consuming, although they require a lot of skill for fast results.
Old 2006-01-11, 01:05   Link #35
Jump

I take it there's no way to get the game without shelling out $300 or more? *sigh* makes me have mixed feelings. I'm happy it's almost translated, and unhappy I can't reap the benefits of the translation. If only I could buy it for under $100

I suppose I should learn from this and pick up Wind -a breath of heart- and Fate/Stay Night while it's still hot. Are there any other games near completion? Kanon looks like a dead project but doesn't seem likely I will find the game either.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 01:35   Link #36
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump
I suppose I should learn from this and pick up Wind -a breath of heart- and Fate/Stay Night while it's still hot. Are there any other games near completion? Kanon looks like a dead project but doesn't seem likely I will find the game either.
I'm sure Kanon is not a dead project as long as Mr. Haeleth still has a breath left in his body. And well, Tsukihime was long out of print before the translation started...
Old 2006-01-11, 19:42   Link #37
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump
Kanon looks like a dead project but doesn't seem likely I will find the game either.
Naaah... Kanon's still active, slow but active. Better than nothing, and I'm sure it will appear. It's really easy to find too, providing you can order online... it was rereleased for a cheaper price last year and is available on Himeyashop.com [Standard / All Ages]

As for Tsukihime...
Quote:
Wait for that version That'll be under $100 when it's released, surely.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 21:33   Link #38
Jump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
Naaah... Kanon's still active, slow but active. Better than nothing, and I'm sure it will appear. It's really easy to find too, providing you can order online... it was rereleased for a cheaper price last year and is available on Himeyashop.com [Standard / All Ages]

As for Tsukihime...

Wait for that version That'll be under $100 when it's released, surely.
Stop trying to make me spend more money :/

The Tsukihime remake is postponed quite a bit, from what I hear. And even when it does come out, it'll take quite some time for the translation to be compatible. Well, I'm certainly in no position to make demands, so I'll just sit back and keep my whining to myself I suppose.

Thanks for the links to Kanon.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 04:54   Link #39
Aquillion

Tsukihime English translation patch out.

I posted this in Tsukihime's thread for anyone who was watching it, but I suppose it should also be posted here since it's game news:

There is a complete English translation patch out for Tsukihime, the game on which both the anime series of the same name and the fighting game Melty Blood are based. You can download the patch here.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-11-07 at 05:22. Reason: Threads merged. Please SEARCH before creating a new thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 05:23   Link #40
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Thanks for the news. I got ahold of the game a year ago in anticipation of this patch. Finally I have a chance to play it! This is actually about to become the first erogame I have ever played.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote