AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-15, 16:24   Link #1041
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm still loving this show, but I do feel the story-line is getting a bit messy. I'm not going to make any suggestions. It's more a feeling than a judgment. But I hope to see the story take a clearer direction and gain more energy as we proceed.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 18:20   Link #1042
Aqua Knight

Very good shows this summer, including this one.
The only thing I don't really like that too much time was spent on Wakana, and with 6 episodes left there's nearly no male characters development (in comparison) to females. Maybe this will come in future though...
Old 2012-08-15, 20:50   Link #1043
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Heh, point of views. You call it boring while I'd call it refreshing. Once I'll digest the turn this anime is taking, I'll probably enjoy it more because I already like both characters and environments. As of now, it just caught me off guard.
I like the Chorus too *_*, but in the end it really depends on how well they pull it off. I mean i don't dislike the idea of chorus club being the main theme per se but i am a bit worried if the focus is just on the chorus club, then they wouldn't be able to do as good as job as they are right now in a span of just 13 episodes.

I mean if it was a 26 episode series then i actually would love to have the focus on choir club as well. Imo 13 episodes is just way too short for a group of five people with limited knowledge of music ( except Sawa) to take on the choir club and actually win ( or do decent against them).

So in short i am just saying there is just not enough episodes to focus the anime on the Choir club and actually pull it off with a good ending. I just said it might be a bit boring because of the lack episodes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier
It was a metaphor to illustrate that chorus members don't really get along with each other well, gender-wise. Females hang out with females, males hang out with males. Like this, the chorus is "fragmented", and as in most scenarios where teamwork is required, chance of growth/success are quite low.

Expanding a bit on the matter, the females represent the "choir" part of the club, while the males are the "badminton" part. In hindsight, the scene where the girls went to the concert together but without the guys makes more sense. I mean, it's no big surprise that they don't (or can't) blend well together. The authors used this trick to preserve both clubs from extinction, and they probably meant just that. It's one club now, but they're actually two inside, like before.
ah i see what you mean now. This is actually so true . The poor guys . Well at least Sawa seems to be a bit more nice to them. Her great sense of fashion shows that she is more mature and cares more about the guys .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
I didn't put that well. I like romance, I wouldn't mind it at all here. I just don't like romance that feels more like fanservice rather than a part of the story.
Yeah i agree . I think we will either get to see Tanaka and Sawa together or maybe ( more likely) great friends who admire each other's handwork.
Old 2012-08-16, 06:26   Link #1044
Blonto

I really don't think Sawa's story came out of the blue like some people are saying. Remember how personally she took Konatsu's rejection in episode 1, or how she talked with Tanaka when he was trying to get into the championship or how she snapped when Konatsu wanted to give their spot to those old guys. It's obvious that she relates a lot to people pursuing their dreams.

Last edited by Blonto; 2012-08-16 at 10:43.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 07:14   Link #1045
blewin

it DOES feel like Sawa's story comes "out of the blue". Sure, we all know what her dream is, but throughout the Wakana episodes, we get lots of smiling Sawa, cheering Konatsu on and such. There's not much that hints at the severity of Sawa's situation.

though i'm happy to see the story moving onto other characters, i feel as if Wakana is suddenly being cut off, dropping off the screen. We don't have much time to familiarise ourselves with the situations of other characters, and so it feels disjointed and jarring to see them rise in prominence all of a sudden.

for a better paced Tari Tari, they should have checked out Ao Hana. Now That, is what good pacing is. We're concerned with every single character, and we feel involved with all of them as the hints of their problems are dropped from the beginning, not in the middle and only after one problem is solved.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 08:19   Link #1046
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
for a better paced Tari Tari, they should have checked out Ao Hana. Now That, is what good pacing is. We're concerned with every single character, and we feel involved with all of them as the hints of their problems are dropped from the beginning, not in the middle and only after one problem is solved.
Are you referring to the shojo-ai series Aoi Hana or the melodrama series Ano Hana?

Also, Tari Tari's pacing has been splendid for a 1 cour series. The only episode that felt out of pace was episode 2, which felt "too fast" at its time, but if you look back it now you realise it makes sense since this isn't a choir anime. This is a coming of age/character drama using music as a vehicle to develop said characters.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 08:39   Link #1047
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
it DOES feel like Sawa's story comes "out of the blue". Sure, we all know what her dream is, but throughout the Wakana episodes, we get lots of smiling Sawa, cheering Konatsu on and such. There's not much that hints at the severity of Sawa's situation.
Well, they certainly did hint before at the tension between her and her father about her wanting to follow a dream he didn't believe in. But they're getting closer to the end of high school, so she's starting to get more serious about her future. It wasn't until she received the catalogue (that presumably explained the weight requirements) that she realized the pressure was on.

So yes, I suppose that could have left a few more hints a bit earlier... but I can also see why they didn't want this to be a distraction in the last arc. Fact is that Sawa is generally upbeat and optimistic... until she realized that the dream she took for granted is slipping out of her grasp. Part of what forces this realization is seeing some of her clubmates reaching for their own respective dreams. I don't think it's actually all that unnatural for some high school students to have that sort of sudden realization like "oh crap, I really am going to be done high school soon".
Old 2012-08-16, 10:07   Link #1048
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, they certainly did hint before at the tension between her and her father about her wanting to follow a dream he didn't believe in. But they're getting closer to the end of high school, so she's starting to get more serious about her future. It wasn't until she received the catalogue (that presumably explained the weight requirements) that she realized the pressure was on.

So yes, I suppose that could have left a few more hints a bit earlier... but I can also see why they didn't want this to be a distraction in the last arc. Fact is that Sawa is generally upbeat and optimistic... until she realized that the dream she took for granted is slipping out of her grasp. Part of what forces this realization is seeing some of her clubmates reaching for their own respective dreams. I don't think it's actually all that unnatural for some high school students to have that sort of sudden realization like "oh crap, I really am going to be done high school soon".
Being pressured is fine, but going from being one of the most level-headed to being the moodiest and going on a binge diet is a bit extreme.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 10:29   Link #1049
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Being pressured is fine, but going from being one of the most level-headed to being the moodiest and going on a binge diet is a bit extreme.
There's some people in life that are good at conveying a sense of level-headedness, and are good at helping other people with their problems, but they're not that good at handling their own problems.

People like this may be rare, but they do exist.

Also, I don't see why the binge diet is that extreme. It's not like she's doing it because of body image delusions (I don't get the sense that Sawa is anorexic). She's doing it because of simple math - She has to get below a certain weight in order to live out her dream, so she's aiming for exactly that. Boxers do stuff like this all the time in order to get into a preferred weight class and/or achieve a certain ideal weight for boxing competition.
Old 2012-08-16, 11:24   Link #1050
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Also, I don't see why the binge diet is that extreme. It's not like she's doing it because of body image delusions (I don't get the sense that Sawa is anorexic). She's doing it because of simple math - She has to get below a certain weight in order to live out her dream, so she's aiming for exactly that. Boxers do stuff like this all the time in order to get into a preferred weight class and/or achieve a certain ideal weight for boxing competition.
Yup, I agree. What she's doing is completely driven by practicality in her way of thinking, but she didn't consider the impact this would have on other parts of her body like her concentration, emotions, etc. Indeed boxers and other athletes do this sort of thing too... but there's a way of doing it that's less destructive. The way she does it is way too sudden and poorly planned (impulsive). "The foolishness of youth", as it were.

I think it befits her personality; free-spirited, independent, and headstrong. Unfortunately, she just hit a wall.
Old 2012-08-16, 11:55   Link #1051
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Yup, I agree. What she's doing is completely driven by practicality in her way of thinking, but she didn't consider the impact this would have on other parts of her body like her concentration, emotions, etc. Indeed boxers and other athletes do this sort of thing too... but there's a way of doing it that's less destructive. The way she does it is way too sudden and poorly planned (impulsive). "The foolishness of youth", as it were.

I think it befits her personality; free-spirited, independent, and headstrong. Unfortunately, she just hit a wall.
You're right that it's not the best way to go about it, as its better for the diet to be more gradual than this. But my impression is that Sawa only found out about weight requirements when she received that notice in the mail, so she's working within a very small timeframe here.

I'm not sure if this is a case where Sawa should have done more research into what she wants to be as an adult, or if this is a case where such details are really hard to find out until you're already slated to begin testing. I'm not that familiar with equestrianism, so I can't really say.

But either way, I don't think that Sawa is being extreme, per se. Maybe she earlier underestimated what it would take for her to live out her dream (even her mother suggested this, after all), but I think that's probably the extent to which she should be faulted here.
Old 2012-08-16, 12:08   Link #1052
Blonto

Quote:
You're right that it's not the best way to go about it, as its better for the diet to be more gradual than this. But my impression is that Sawa only found out about weight requirements when she received that notice in the mail, so she's working within a very small timeframe here.
I think it's probably that letter and the fight with her dad made her realize she doesn't have much time, so even if she was on a normal diet (or was planning to go on one), she decided she had to speed things up.
Old 2012-08-16, 13:36   Link #1053
EroKing

A freebie.
Old 2012-08-16, 13:45   Link #1054
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Also, I don't see why the binge diet is that extreme.
Forced vomiting should always be considered extreme. Once you hit that wall, you need to stop and take a reality check.
Old 2012-08-16, 16:17   Link #1055
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...I think it befits her personality; free-spirited, independent, and headstrong. Unfortunately, she just hit a wall.
Well put. I also think she has this ojou-sama confidence that she can basically do anything she wants at any time. So these events are a very tough life lesson for her. I hope she can come out with her head held high, especially toward her father.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
There's some people in life that are good at conveying a sense of level-headedness, and are good at helping other people with their problems, but they're not that good at handling their own problems.
When you're young, it's sometimes easy to simulate maturity without actually being mature. I know about this.

I do agree that this seemed to come up suddenly, as if it was just Sawa's turn to have a problem. But I myself have felt before that her solidity and perfect ability were surface features that didn't necessarily go very deep. And our parents do tend to be able to stimulate our emotional weaknesses. They can't help it, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 08:48   Link #1056
Blonto

I think Sawa is someone who in most cases appears level-headed and objective until you hit that one subject she feels really strongly about.
Old 2012-08-18, 11:58   Link #1057
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Often, the people with the most cheerful personality may end up being the ones with the biggest personal issues. I believe this is quite common in real life as well. I that aspect, Sawa acts like your typical teenager.
Old 2012-08-19, 14:15   Link #1058
Kazu-kun

Oh man, the fathers in this series are just so.... now I'm crying like a little girl.

Great episode.

Also Wakana is awesome!
Old 2012-08-19, 18:55   Link #1059
FateAnomaly

Really good episode. I was quite touched by it. Wakana gained a lot of points too.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 19:25   Link #1060
Triple_R
*Author

Episode 8 was just delightful!

Lots of great, heartwarming drama and lots of nice comedy too!

Sawa and Wakana provided loads of great drama while Wien and Konatsu were just hilarious.

Wien (about to push the Fire Emergency button): If this isn't an emergency, what is?!

Konatsu: Forget the festival, you'll get our club disbanded!

For whatever reason, that bit just had me rolling in laughter!

I also loved how the episode played out Konatsu's mistaken guess at what was bothering Sawa. That was such a funny scene on the train!

Konatsu: I know you'll find somebody who loves and treasures you someday, Sawa. Until then, if you need somebody to hold, you can hold me!

But yeah, Episode Eight was very impressive, heartwarming, and joyful on almost every level. Like Kazu-kun said, the fathers in this series are just something else. It's such a great treat to see anime fathers that are actually pretty great guys!

And the whole way Sawa's situation was played out was simply beautiful. The best thing is how it so often killed two birds with one stone. For example, I wanted somebody to tell off those trash-talking students that stole Konatsu's club room, and while Sawa telling them off was no doubt a reflection of her own growing stress, it nonetheless was very rewarding to see!

And the heartfelt and warm advice from Wakana to Sawa was great. And I loved that song that the rest of the club sung over the cellphone for Sawa.

I'm very glad that Tanaka and Wien were in on that. They had their own singing parts (Wien's song ending being quite humorous too ), and Sawa also gave the two guys a high-five when she arrived, and not just the girls.

This is probably the first episode where I really felt the gender barrier within the club starting to break down a bit.

And visiting Wien's home was interesting. Wien is clearly from a pretty wealthy family! I now definitely like the theory that the smoking guy that met with the Principal in Episode 7 is related to Wien, and might even be Wien's father.

And Sawa riding on horseback in order to arrive just in the nick of time - It seems so cheesy to write, but the way it was executed was really great.

Just a wonderful episode from start to finish.

10/10 for Episode 8. Tari Tari is a winner!

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works