AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-10, 06:56   Link #61
EricMontreal22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Yeah, it's going to be a horror story (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=27230).

But it's going to be short (just 3 episodes), so perhaps we'll go back to a jousei-style anime soon after that.
What makes the new show NOT a Josei style anime? I knwo it;'s not based on a manga but...

Is Nana which i eblieve is set for April going to air in the Noitamina slot?

Does anyone know what they aired in the timeslot the past few weeks?
E
EricMontreal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 09:33   Link #62
wao
OK.

Well, we might never know for sure that Ayakashi is the intended successor to the Noitamina timeslot unless we see that little jingle before the show...

I never saw anything about Noitamina on the site for it or anything like that though, so I still doubt it's PK's successor...
Old 2006-01-10, 09:42   Link #63
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMontreal22
What makes the new show NOT a Josei style anime? I knwo it;'s not based on a manga but...
Josei is anime aimed at university-aged young women (that is 18-25), so it usually addresses things they are interested in (like serious romance, hardships of adult life, and having to adjust to adult world). That's what josei is.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 05:17   Link #64
EricMontreal22

Ah I thought horror titles wer equite popular with that age group

E
EricMontreal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 01:16   Link #65
mytrivo
A Sucker for Romance

Well the fansub of the final ep is out (Thanks IY-F&Oki). Closure at last! Just looking at the anime and not comparing to the manga, I thought it was a decent ending. There was a lot to squeeze into this last ep but I don't think it would've worked to stretched it out over 2 eps. At least we got a glimpse of how Yukari's and George 's futures go.
mytrivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 18:35   Link #66
Chairman Aeon

So I was watching Suzuka and ParaKiss while taking a break from the blood and panty shots. Two series that were rather brutally honest in their portrayals of (young) love. Both on reflection get the endings they needed. But with Suzuka I felt relieved whereas with ParaKiss I felt as if someone sucker punched me in the stomach. To quote blink-182 "Well, I guess this is growing up".

I'm glad they left the name of Yukari's fiancee out of the anime. Hiro in the anime doesn't come across as a really great match for Yukari. Also in 10 years time I'd have a hard problem that she was together with either of those boys.* In the anime when George asks her to come with him we already know things are over. If she says yes then she hasn't learned a thing and George will grow to hate her. If she has become the woman he hopes she is then her answer is no, she can't come with him. The 10 years later ending makes it seem like George is the one that "got away". That somewhere in the back of Yukari's head there is a ghost of George. And maybe that's the most realistic part of the anime.

Oh well back to Bloody Ninja Panties or whatever is coming up this season.

Iain.

* And what kind of a fairy tale ending is being a successful model that marries their high school sweatheart who just happens to be a doctor. "Gee Hiro-kun after you're through talking to that cannibal killer would you like to see my new outfit?" More likely to die of a drug overdose or commit suicide from the pressure. That's our Caroline.
Chairman Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 19:09   Link #67
deathsvengeance
Dreams in Fear

I was a little disappointed they left the name of her fiancee out (which was Tokumori-kun). At any rate, they also left out some important character development between Miwako and Arashi.. as well as Tokumori-kun, if you want to know what that is, read the manga.

Overall, I felt that the final episode was incredibly rushed. It was jumping all over the place with no good transitions at all.
deathsvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 22:54   Link #68
TerryMathews

I also feel the ending was a bit rushed and all over the place, but all in all I think it was a good, realistic ending.

I especially like how George moved all the Parakiss stuff into (a storage garage?) and sent Yukari the key. It was a great, non-verbal way of saying "I'm never coming back."

Was it the best anime ending? Not even close. It's above the top half though, I've been super disappointed in anime endings before. Escaflowne, for example.
TerryMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 23:46   Link #69
Chairman Aeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrivo
At least we got a glimpse of how Yukari's and George 's futures go.
Sadly, I've been thinking about the ending a bit too much and I don't think the 10 years later part was all that necessary or desirable (for the anime). If what the people who have read the manga say is right and George was portrayed much more sympathetically in the anime than the manga you could have just ended it with Yukari opening the locker. Since the key idea from the manga (that they were fundimentally incompatible) is not really in the anime they might have well have not put the headstone on the gravesite. This is always a problem when translating between media, you can end up with a very different story by accident. Make no mistake, I wouldn't want to be involved with either Jouji or Yukari, but I do think the story felt real.

Was the 12 episode format determined by the TV slot or what?

Iain.
Chairman Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 00:04   Link #70
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Why is it I imagine the following discussion really happened between the producer and the director?

"Ok.. that takes us to 11 epsiodes."

"Ok, then in the last 13 episodes, we can address all the real issues, because the story is just starting, right?"

"What last 13 episodes? We're only good for 1 more. Didn't you read the memo I sent?"

"Uh-oh... Well, just do what we did with Beck then."

I liked both Beck and ParaKiss a lot right up until the last episode, and then I was totally disappointed by the hack jobs both last episodes were. Mostly I was mad that they totally rushed through tons of good stories by just sort of "Oh yeah, then we went and did ___, and then we did ___...." It was just like a bad 3rd grade report. "I liked summer vacation. It was good. We went to the Grand Canyon. It was big. Then we saw Gramma and Grampa. They're old. The end."

Well, it filled up 20 minutes, but sheesh. I wanted to see more of Arashi/Miwako/Hiro's plotline, too. And with George's friend whatshername coming from England... guh. So much room for good stories, and they just rush through it all.

I didn't particularly care about who wound up with whom, but I would've at least liked to have understood *why* a little better. It just felt like totally incoherent blather. Bah. Now I'll just have to hunt the manga down.

First 11 episodes, 9/10. Last episode, 4/10 for sloppiness. :P
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 00:45   Link #71
misakichii

is paradise kiss really that good? well i won't know untill i watch it. i've read summary and it doesn't all that interesting. but just a few days ago i found out that the author who wrote paradise kiss is the same author who wrote nana. so since nana is is good i might just give paradise kiss a try. oh, does anyone knows if nana will be made in anime. i hope it does since it's so good. it's one of the best shojo.
misakichii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 00:59   Link #72
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

Quote:
Originally Posted by misakichii
is paradise kiss really that good? well i won't know untill i watch it. i've read summary and it doesn't all that interesting. but just a few days ago i found out that the author who wrote paradise kiss is the same author who wrote nana. so since nana is is good i might just give paradise kiss a try. oh, does anyone knows if nana will be made in anime. i hope it does since it's so good. it's one of the best shojo.
Hearing it from other people can only do you so much. I finished the series and I'm just completely blown away. The situations and relationships are so surreal, it's unbelievable. I'm reading the manga to see how devastating the ending is but god damn, I can't wait to read it.
ForeverGoNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 01:25   Link #73
misakichii

yea you're right since everyones got their own opinion. so are you saying that the anime has a devastating ending?
misakichii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 16:33   Link #74
ayame_rei

Hey everyone,

I just watched the ending for Paradise Kiss. I loved the series, but as it ended, I was kind of like, "Huh??" and I came to the forums for some kind of more satisfactory explanation.

Can people who read the manga and watched the anime fill me in here? Why the heck does it end like that.... what really happens in the manga and what parts did Kobayashi cut out in the anime? I feel like the director sacrificed a lot of stuff at the end to wrap up the story in the last episode. MrProphet's post on page three of the forum was really interesting--MrProphet, please explain more if you read this--!!

The thing that bugged me the most at the end was I felt really confused about my feelings toward the characters and their actions--I think this might be because so much was cut out and as many have suggested, the director might have imposed his own interpretation onto Yazawa's original one.... so can people who have seen both the anime and manga comment back.... how do you feel about what happened in the ending, and how was it different from what happens in the manga, and what do you feel about the characters at the end....?
ayame_rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 02:57   Link #75
mytrivo
A Sucker for Romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayame_rei
Can people who read the manga and watched the anime fill me in here? Why the heck does it end like that.... what really happens in the manga and what parts did Kobayashi cut out in the anime? I feel like the director sacrificed a lot of stuff at the end to wrap up the story in the last episode.
As I mentioned before, I enjoyed the last ep. and I've tried to look at it without thinking about the manga. To be honest, I don't know if I've been totally successful. I did read the manga before the series finished so I know what was left out. It's hard to ignore that knowledge. I just rewatched ep 12 and went through it scene by scene with the last volume of the manga (from Tokyopop in English). I've listed what I saw as being left out. It's long because I'm not good at condensing my descriptions. I used a spoiler so you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

Spoiler:

Last edited by mytrivo; 2006-01-23 at 03:33.
mytrivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 08:18   Link #76
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation ! Thanks !

Big thanks to Mytrivo for clearing up the loose ends.

That was too much to put into one last episode.
aliensporebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 07:18   Link #77
AisuruMirai
箱者

166 pages of the manga, 9 whole chapters (40 through 48), were compressed into this single episode. That's all but the first chapter of volume 5. This was not a good way to end the show.

I think it was in post#48 that MrProphet wrote about the contrasting visions of Yazawa, the author of the manga, & Kobayashi, the director of the anime. In my opinion, though, Kobayashi hasn't added much--& perhaps not anything--that wasn't already present in the manga, except stylistically. He was forced to edit out large portions of the story. This means that certain parts are designated as more important than others, but the story itself determines that for the most part--one can't cut out the pieces that move the plot & characters forward--the fights, the slights, the big decisions, the tender moments between characters...I don't see his vision of Paradise Kiss being any different from Yazawa's. I realize I may be being too parsimonious when I say that he just had less space to work with than Yazawa did.

I'm glad that I'm reading the manga only after watching the series. I'd have been very disappointed in all the missing bits, I think. & I think that in the anime version, George appears in a much less favorable light than he does in the manga. Anime George is not the slightest bit sympathetic, which makes it terribly difficult to understand Yukari's attraction to him. In the manga, her attraction is also nearly incomprehensible to me, but George has a sense of humor & seems more self-conscious of his tendency to be cold to people.

Regarding Miwako & Arashi:
I don't understand why Kobayashi inserted Arashi's song, which isn't in the manga, into the middle of ep12. To me, it just seemed like a complete waste of time. Because this episode was so rushed, I think it might have benefited from leaving out the fight over the text messages, as well. It adds some drama to the episode, but it really doesn't take the story anywhere. This exchange, as well as the discussion between Arashi & Hiro that was cut out in the anime version, would have been more powerful, in my opinion, if they'd been placed in chapter 3 or 4 and were developed further. To have revelations like these
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
come out so late made it seem to me as if the mangaka wanted to spice up the most boring volume of the story, in which everything is slowly winding to a stop.

It's such a shame that a show that could have been brilliant turns into a cheap scrapbook in the end. This episode could have been worse, though. A little worse. There could have been SD characters.

じゃあ。
アイスル未来

Last edited by AisuruMirai; 2006-01-24 at 11:33.
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 16:19   Link #78
Xess
Go Suzuka!

Ahh, thanks for the summary of the manga mytrivo. That seems to make a hell lot more sense than what happened in the anime. 12 episodes really crunched it up too much and there seems like there were gaps here and there and stuff somehow didn't add up. Should really have been a 13 or 14 episode show. However, I'm glad they did away with that SD nonsense after the first few episodes. It was annoying and really didn't fit into the theme of a serious show like this.

The ending of the manga is more to the ending I would have envisioned and the changes are kinda weird. George almost seemed too flawless in the ending of the anime and it seemed kinda wrong. It really did feel like he was just using Yukari as his dress-up Barbie, and also felt like a Hollywood relationship that would surely end up in disaster. Well, but in the end, I guess she did choose the right person to marry in my opinion.
Xess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 01:35   Link #79
Miacis

Excuse me, but does anybody know the band and song name of the music that plays during 17:05 to 17:33 in episode 12?
Miacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 05:12   Link #80
PochaPocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miacis
Excuse me, but does anybody know the band and song name of the music that plays during 17:05 to 17:33 in episode 12?
The Babys - No No Future
PochaPocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, noitamina, romance