AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-17, 18:47   Link #521
GDB

Romney tells Hispanics he'll fix economy and immigration.

Quote:
he would work with both parties to "permanently fix our immigration system."
Only way this could possibly happen is if he sends in the army to steal and loot everything of value and then blows Mexico off the face of the earth.

Oh god, Romney wants to blow Mexico off the face of the earth...
Old 2012-09-17, 18:51   Link #522
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Only way this could possibly happen is if he sends in the army to steal and loot everything of value and then blows Mexico off the face of the earth.

Oh god, Romney wants to blow Mexico off the face of the earth...
He could alternatively annex Mexico and turn it into a prison. Either works.
Old 2012-09-17, 19:03   Link #523
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Given than we stil don't know if Romney really did pay any income taxes thoses last fews years, should we put him on the 47 % ?
Yeah, let's see those tax returns Mittens.
Old 2012-09-17, 19:40   Link #524
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Romney will set up Gingrich's plan and ship the convicts to the moon where they will grow hydroponic wheat and use a electromagnetic catapult to "ship" it to Earth.
Old 2012-09-17, 20:02   Link #525
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well...annexing Mexico would stop the problem of illegal immigration...from Mexico only. But it would make the border with Guatemala and Belize smaller and "easier to patrol". Plus they speak English in Belize.

Though how would the flag look with 30 more stars and a second Federal District?
Old 2012-09-17, 20:36   Link #526
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Golden Circle anyone?
Old 2012-09-18, 01:08   Link #527
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Or he could ruin America economically and make it unattractive to emigrate to.
Old 2012-09-18, 01:21   Link #528
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That certainly worked for Greece. But I have a feeling the population would have preferred not to have done that...
Old 2012-09-18, 02:47   Link #529
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The GOP already started it

Romney: 'Victims' comment not elegantly stated
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-18-03-25-24
Quote:
At an impromptu news conference Monday, Romney offered no apologies, conceding the comments were not "elegantly stated" and were spoken "off the cuff." The Republican presidential nominee said the remarks showed a contrast between President Barack Obama's "government-centered society" and his belief in a "free-market approach."

"Of course, I want to help all Americans, all Americans, have a bright and prosperous future," Romney told reporters.
Trying to save the face but it's already too little too late .
Old 2012-09-18, 04:24   Link #530
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The press conference was even more disgraceful than the video.
Old 2012-09-18, 04:33   Link #531
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Conservative columnist David Brooks tears into Romney:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/op...ll-romney.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by extract bits from article
In 1960, government transfers to individuals totaled $24 billion. By 2010, that total was 100 times as large. Even after adjusting for inflation, entitlement transfers to individuals have grown by more than 700 percent over the last 50 years. This spending surge, Eberstadt notes, has increased faster under Republican administrations than Democratic ones.
There are sensible conclusions to be drawn from these facts. You could say that the entitlement state is growing at an unsustainable rate and will bankrupt the country. You could also say that America is spending way too much on health care for the elderly and way too little on young families and investments in the future.
But these are not the sensible arguments that Mitt Romney made at a fund-raiser earlier this year. Romney, who criticizes President Obama for dividing the nation, divided the nation into two groups: the makers and the moochers. Forty-seven percent of the country, he said, are people “who are dependent upon government, who believe they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to take care of them, who believe they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it.”
This comment suggests a few things. First, it suggests that he really doesn’t know much about the country he inhabits
But, as a description of America today, Romney’s comment is a country-club fantasy. It’s what self-satisfied millionaires say to each other. It reinforces every negative view people have about Romney.
Old 2012-09-18, 06:49   Link #532
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Quote:
"Of course, I want to help all Americans, all Americans, have a bright and prosperous future," Romney told reporters.
He forgot the asterisk. Here's how it should read:

"Of course, I want to help all Americans, all Americans*, have a bright and prosperous future," Romney told reporters.

*Only those who vote for me and pledge money to my campaign are Americans.
Old 2012-09-18, 07:22   Link #533
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Well, here it is... Mitt unplugged.

So unzipping Mitt and releasing him to his preferred environment reveals what he really thinks.

But still I'm thinking that he's alluding to the idea that in todays political electoral composition 47% will vote Democrat or are Dem leaning which by extension believe certain ideas. Still by saying such a divisive statement he pretty much gives up on the idea of actually trying to represent the American citizenry as a whole.

On the other hand I'm trying to be mild in making this statement for some reason. Usually I'd be firing broadsides about how great this is for the Obama campaign. But it's just scary to know how far off the deep end an opposition party is willing to go in order to dehumanize half the electorate just because of ideology.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-09-18, 08:43   Link #534
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
"Of course, I want to help all Americans, all Americans*, have a bright and prosperous future," Romney told reporters.
I think it should be like this: "Of course, I want to help all Americans, all Americans like me to have a bright and prosperous future," Romney told reporters.
Old 2012-09-18, 09:15   Link #535
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think it should be like this: "Of course, I want to help all Americans, all Americans like me to have a bright and prosperous future," Romney told reporters.
Given than he don't know shit about the americans than aren't like him, it's much likely.

Edit: It seem than Romney didn't only talk about the 47% at that private fundraser: On Israel, Romney Trashes Two-State Solution
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...dle-east-peace
Quote:
During the freewheeling conversation, a donor asked Romney how the "Palestinian problem" can be solved. Romney immediately launched into a detailed reply, asserting that the Palestinians have "no interest whatsoever in establishing peace, and that the pathway to peace is almost unthinkable to accomplish."

Romney spoke of "the Palestinians" as a united bloc of one mindset, and he said: "I look at the Palestinians not wanting to see peace anyway, for political purposes, committed to the destruction and elimination of Israel, and these thorny issues, and I say there's just no way."
Romney was indicating he did not believe in the peace process and, as president, would aim to postpone significant action: "[S]o what you do is, you say, you move things along the best way you can. You hope for some degree of stability, but you recognize that this is going to remain an unsolved problem…and we kick the ball down the field and hope that ultimately, somehow, something will happen and resolve it."

Romney did note there was another perspective on this knotty matter. He informed his donors that a former secretary of state—he would not say who—had told him there was "a prospect for a settlement between the Palestinians and the Israelis." Romney recalled that he had replied, "Really?" Then he added that he had not asked this ex-secretary of state for further explanation.
While being stupid, this one didn't surprise me much.

At the end, it wouldn't be surprising if Romney edn up being the ''Sarah Palin'' of 2012

Last edited by ganbaru; 2012-09-18 at 09:29.
Old 2012-09-18, 11:26   Link #536
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

I never realized I've been mooching off the government all these years :0 I guess that place I work at 40 hours a week aren't actually giving me paychecks o_o
Old 2012-09-18, 12:33   Link #537
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Yeah, it makes me feel like crap, I never realize I was mooching off the government (I was denied from getting food stamps because I was getting pay alot more the limit, I was getting 25k a year with 3 people). Honestly, I though I wasnt mooching off, even know that I do the 40 hour thing and go to school at night for 3 of those 5 working days. Oh silly me, Thanks Romney for let me know that.

He is killing his own POTUS bid with those comment he is saying and he is going to wish he kept his big mouth shut.
Old 2012-09-18, 13:40   Link #538
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The interesting thing with this video leak, is that Romney is simply stating the GOP platform that everyone already know. Romney just had never said these things so bluntly in interviews because he was pretending to be a centralist.

It would be interesting if Romney decide that the cat is out of the bag, and turn this into a referendum of what modern GOP want. Maybe he can ask if the public want to give up on the 2 state solution? There is no shame for America to take a side; Russia does. America had not been very good as a neutral mediator in the Middle East, to put it lightly.
Old 2012-09-18, 13:49   Link #539
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I got into fight on FB with some twit I used to work with because he's still using long debunked welfare myths in his support of Romney (couldn't provide a single cite to substantiate his "hordes no incentive to work people", imagine that). Yeah, hit those crippled, elderly, children with sticks til they get out there and work.... so, who's hiring?

oh....
Old 2012-09-18, 14:00   Link #540
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Randy Newman Weighs In on Race and Presidency in New Song
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ucus&seid=auto
Quote:
You can always trust Randy Newman to talk about the elephant in the room. The award-winning songwriter, who supports President Obama, has weighed in on the role of race in the presidential election, releasing a satirical song on Tuesday poking fun at voters who long for the days when a white man was in the White House.
The song has the refrain “I’m dreaming of a white president” and is written from the point of the view of a voter who casts his ballot solely on the basis of race. Mr. Newman said in a press release he felt the passionate opposition to President Obama over issues that generally put the public to sleep – the budget deficit and health care policy, for instance – belie a deep strain of racism in the electorate.
“I think there are a lot of people who find it jarring to have a black man in the White House and they want him out,” Mr. Newman said. “They just can’t believe that there’s not a more qualified white man. You won’t get anyone, and I do mean anyone, to admit it.”