AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-12-20, 16:30   Link #101
Solecs

Hi, first things first I'm new to this whole mac business as I just bought a Macbook Pro (older one with a core duo) this past Friday. I'm really glad I that this thread is here so that I can get my anime fix . Anywho, I'm having a few problems I was hoping you knowledable people might know something about.

First off, when I try to do the thing listed in the first post and select a font and whatnot it doesn't list all my fonts and none of the ones on there seem to work. That's ok as I got around that by following thr's compiling guide and that worked like a charm for softsubbed files along with playing the proper embedded fonts (although I subbed in the rc1 version of mplayer osx as my gui instead of the dev-06..whatever build that is listed in the guide and left off the ffmpeg-svn-mactel.patch step since the file isn't there anymore).

The problem with it though is that that version doesn't seem to want to play Avi files. Rather, it looks like the video plays fine but the audio sounds all garbled, and occasionally Mplayer OSX crashes after a few seconds in when playing an avi. However, the normal Mplayer OSX 1.0rc1 from the mplayer website works fine with these files, but not softsubbed ones. So I've been getting around this by switching back and forth between the two which is getting annoying.

Anywho, that about covers what's going on. I do have all the recommended things installed (x11+update, xcode, etc.) and my OS should be update with OS X v10.4.8 I think it is. Hope somebody can help, and if so thanks in advance .

(er, sorry for writing a novel up there, I kind of have a bad habit of doing that )
Old 2006-12-21, 00:21   Link #102
Pringer_Z@yahoo.com

Send a message via AIM to Pringer_Z@yahoo.com Send a message via MSN to Pringer_Z@yahoo.com
Almost there...

For the last two days, I've been trying to configure my macbook to play .mkv files, and thusfar, I have been met with the success of finding a player, due to this thread. I would like to give my thanks to the powers that be that made this thread.

However, in my quest to get the subtitles loaded, and following the guide for Intel Macs, (I have a 15.4" MacBook Pro) all .mkv files cause MPlayer to crash. I downloaded the MPlayer OSX SAC setup from the website, and the latest X11 is installed on my computer. However, every time I try to open a .mkv file, I now get this error message:

Spoiler for Mplayer error log:

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2006-12-21, 08:17   Link #103
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Niji

Glad to hear it's working! Yes, I'd think that having -dropframes enabled would be a good idea on your PowerBook... I have it enabled on mine, and I'm using an AlBook 1.33, as H.264 can be a terrible beast for me at times. Regardless - good to know it's working properly. I'm considering doing a new build in the next couple of weeks, but I'll probably build from rc1 source, as it's stable. I've got a build already around on my laptop, but it's compiled with X11 support, and I know a few people here don't like that - although I'm not sure, as compiling with X11 enabled has sped up H.264 playback for me by approximately 20%... though that could just be a benefit of rc1 over a nightly build. From what I read below, it appears that rc1 might not have ASS/SSA support built in (due to fontconfig, perhaps)... so perhaps a 'custom' build of rc1 would be useful.

@ Solecs

It's odd that the rc1 version of Mplayer isn't able to support softsubbed files for you - I downloaded and compiled rc1 myself (as mentioned above) before there was an official release, and it supports softsubbed files just fine - granted though, I compiled it with my version of fontconfig, so it might be that is your problem.

Try downloading the rc1 source (it's available from the official Mplayer site) and compile it using the same configure script that thr suggested earlier in the thread. This should create an rc1 version of Mplayer with support for your installed version of fontconfig - which should work fine afterwards. If all else fails, try downloading thr's actual version of Mplayer posted in this thread, as it is compatible with SSA/ASS softsubbed files, to the best of my knowledge.

@ Pringer_z

That's a bit odd, as I was fairly sure that thr's build was working fine on Intel Macs... anyway, pop on over to the official Mplayer site - http://www.mplayerhq.hu/ - and download their latest Mplayer compile, of rc1, and see if you have any luck with that. Solec did mention above, however, that there appears to be issues with it displaying proper softsubbed files... in which case, assuming that both the official and thr's builds don't work, the only way that you can easily get Mplayer working is to compile it yourself. The dev tools are free (they should have been included on your install disk for your Macbook, have a hunt around for 'Optional Packages' on the disk) and the compile process as listed by thr isn't too difficult.

If you do decide to try this though, see if you have the Xcode installer, and then post again here if you need clarification on how to proceed. If you don't have Xcode, you can get it free from Apple (@ developer.apple.com) but it's around 1GB in size to download.

Otherwise... I might be able to gain access to a MacBook Pro in the next week or so, if I can I shall *try* to compile Mplayer, but if it doesn't have Xcode installed, and doesn't have a system disk (depends what's left at the school and what isn't) I might be unable to do so. But I'll try.

Oh, and you might want to download the new (0.8.6) version of VLC as .mkv support has improved drastically, and they're using the new version of ffmpeg too, which means it has the nice wmv3/speedup benefits that Mplayer has as well. Still relatively poor subtitle support, but at least your files may be watchable until a better solution (compile, etc) is availble.

-Andiyar
Old 2006-12-21, 10:39   Link #104
Pringer_Z@yahoo.com

Send a message via AIM to Pringer_Z@yahoo.com Send a message via MSN to Pringer_Z@yahoo.com
Andiyar,

If anything, VLC gives me more trouble than MPlayer. I've been working on getting this stuff working for about 3 days; I just found this forum thread, and it's really been the only place I've been able to get legitimate advice, so I really appreciate it. VLC, however, seems to hate my computer. For some reason, when I download it, no matter what version I download, it defaults the menu language to French, which makes it rather hard to navigate. Additionally, I don't know much about setting subtitle tracks in VLC. I'm used to doing this in Windows.

Perhaps maybe somewhere along the line when I was downloading/redownloading and trying VLC and MPlayer repeatedly I screwed up some of the settings somehow, and I'm not too sure how to fix it. Nor am I really too sure how to compile my own, to be honest. I'm thinking about just getting Boot Camp.

It's also worth noting that any time I tried editing the subtitling in MPlayer, I got the same errors.
Old 2006-12-21, 23:54   Link #105
Solecs

@Andiyar,

hey, thanks for the the reply. Anywho, I can't seem to get the rc1 source to compile. When I try to make it I get these errors:
Spoiler for errors:

and well, it's not that the compiled svn code doesn't work per se. It will playback mkv's and other container files fine (as far as I can tell). It just won't play AVI files correctly, like the audio is messed up. I was looking at the compiling guide and I noticed that there's a line that says "--disable-mp3lib" which I thought might have something to do with audio so I tried compiling without that but that gives an error when it is compiling mp3lib so I'm guessing it's necessary.

In other news, thr's compiled 1.0pre8 version with the ass/ssa patch works fine on all files, so I guess I'll use that for the time being. I'm guessing that that doesn't have all the new optimizations in it and such though, so I'll keep working on compiling the rc1 version I guess. Thanks again for all the help and info thus far, I'm sure all of us mac newbs appreciate it .
Old 2006-12-22, 04:12   Link #106
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Pringer_z

That's odd, that VLC is defaulting to French - unless your System Preferences have French specified as the default language. Open System Preferences (in the Apple Menu) and in the International pane, just make sure that English is at the top of the list there - you might have French specified as your default language for apps that support multiple language sets!

As to how to use subtitles in VLC, well, it's pretty simple. To activate subtitles - hit 's' when the file is playing. Either that, or go (in menus) Video>Subtitles Track>Subtitle. This will make the subfile display - and to change audio, you go Audio>Audio Track>Audio, similarly.

As to MPlayer - try a couple of things for me? Firstly, delete your MPlayer preferences file, which is located in the directory ~/Library/Preferences, under the name 'org.mplayer.mplayerosx.plist' or possibly 'hu.mplayerhq.mplayerosx.plist'. Next, try moving MPlayer to your /Applications/ folder, and then when its launched, open up the Preferences. Under the 'General' tab, ensure that Font is set to 'none', and that under the 'Miscellaneous' tab you have 'Additional Parameters' checked, and the following is inserted in the text box:

'-ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig'

without apostrophes. I'm talking about thr's version here, incidentally, which is the version linked in iamtetsuo's first post in this thread, under the spoiler tags. Now, open up a file with softsubs, and hit 'b'. The display up the top should say 'subtitle track... etc' and the subs should start playing with proper styling.

Oh, and for further insurance - do all this after a clean boot, just to make sure that everything is ticking nicely. You might as well repair permissions as well while you're at it - open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility to do this - as it never hurts. But yes, after a clean boot, try trashing the prefs, put a newly downloaded version of thr's compile in your /Apps/ folder and configure the preferences, and finally try an .mkv or .mp4 file.

@ Solecs

Glad to hear that at least a version is working for you. As for why it won't compile rc1 for you, I can't claim to be an expert here, as I'm not really the coder type and I haven't used an Intel Mac for any work of this nature. That said, I believe hhaamu was having this exact same problem before when he was compiling MPlayer SVN in October. I believe he in the end had to use the tag 'disable-win32'. The relevant tags would need to be added to the ./configure script - these are:

--disable-win32

So the script would be (after you've downloaded from source):

./configure --disable-win32 --disable-mp3lib --disable-sdl --disable-x11 --with-freetype-config=/opt/local/bin/freetype-config

Oh, and there was something mentioned about libmad as well - which I think is available from DarwinPorts. Anyway, if it doesn't work with the above configure script, might be worth sending a PM to hhaamu and see how it was done

-Andiyar
Old 2006-12-22, 11:32   Link #107
Pringer_Z@yahoo.com

I'll perform the MPlayer fix after I get back from work. However, VLC works at least now, and by the Gods, I love you for it. Thanks a ton, Andiyar.
Old 2006-12-24, 06:30   Link #108
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Pringer_z

You're more than welcome! Glad to hear that it's working for you now - was it the language support that was broken?

Anyway - yes, excellent. Try MPlayer when you have time, as I'm curious, but at least files are now watchable. Oh, and to style text (fonts, sizes etc) - it can be done in VLC, but it requires a lot of trial and error, at least to find fonts/sizes you like. Open preferences, open the 'Video' triangle, and then the 'Subtitles/OSD' triangle. Here's where you configure stuff - you can point at a default font if you like, change the subtitle colour, size etc. Hit advanced if you want to fiddle a bit more - but seriously, find a font size/colour that's readable for you, and then leave it alone. Don't play too much with opacity unless you want semi-transparent subs

Oh - and have a Merry Christmas, all. ^^

-Andiyar
Old 2006-12-25, 22:29   Link #109
Pringer_Z@yahoo.com

Okay, I started working with MPlayer today again, trying to get it to work. I ran into problems right off the bat, and I figured I'd say what was going on before I went and tried stuff that I really had no idea if it'd work.

Basically, here's what happens when I try to open a .mkv file in MPlayer: The file doesn't open, and I am immediately confronted with that error log before I can even attempt to hit b to get anything to sub.

So I went into my preferences folder to delete that, and, well, there is no preferences file in my folder for MPlayer. Maybe this is a problem?

I'll see if I can download the actual MPlayer compile of it tomorrow.
Old 2006-12-28, 16:09   Link #110
FidyYuan

Can't see subs from static-subs (kanon)

I'm using an intel mac (10.4.8) and i downloaded the mplayer for intel macs and inputted "-ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig" but for some reason I still can't see the subs. Is there any way I can watch the h264 kanon from static-subs with subtitles? I don't like vlc because it uses it's own ugly font and not the font static-subs used. Thanks!'

EDIT: NVM! I GOT IT TO WORK! Seems I just had to hit b and change the subs.

Last edited by FidyYuan; 2006-12-28 at 16:21.
Old 2006-12-29, 15:27   Link #111
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Yes, that works. You could also add -sid 0 to the command line, which turns the first subtitle track on by default. Also, if you're watching softsubbed fansubs, I'd recommend adding -correct-pts to the commandline as well, since without it the timing might be off by one frame. Which doesn't sound like much, but it can be very annoying with regards to scenetiming (it can create annoying "flashes" of subtitle lines).
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2007-01-04, 06:24   Link #112
dreamerz

hi. can anyone tell me how come my VLC player cant play mp4 format videos? only sounds can be heard, but pics cant be seen. thx!
Old 2007-01-04, 07:03   Link #113
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ dreamerez

Well, .mp4 is a container and not actually a video format. Open up VLC and open your file - does it come up with a little error box telling you why it can't play? If not, and it starts playing, hit Apple-I, which will bring up the information window. Click on the middle-most tab (Advanced Information). You should have a list of streams in the video - at least two, once the video and one the audio (probably Stream 0 and Stream 1). Click on the arrows to expand them, it should give you a few details about what you're watching. In the one that says "Type: Video" it should also tell you what the Codec is - can you copy that down and paste it here?

If there's only a single stream and it's an audio one, then I'm afraid that your file is either incomplete, somehow incredibly weirdly corrupted... or is just an audio file. Otherwise, well, depends on the codec used.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-01-04, 07:50   Link #114
dreamerz

Apple-I is wad?
Old 2007-01-04, 08:10   Link #115
dreamerz

Stream 0
codec avc1
Language Japanese
Type Video
resolution 640X480
display resolution 640X480
frame rate 23.976024

Stream 1
codec mp4a
language audio
channels 2
sample rate 44100Hz
Bits per sample 16
bitrate 1411 kb/s
Old 2007-01-04, 08:20   Link #116
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Okay then. What's the Mac that you're using, and how old is it? If it's not a relatively new one, it would have trouble playing anthing encoded in H.264. Does it come up with a little box when you try to play the file that tells you that FFMpeg has dropped frames?

-Andiyar
Old 2007-01-04, 09:47   Link #117
dreamerz

i'm using mac 10.3.9. yea, it does say FFMpeg has dropped frames then what computer too slow, something like that.
Old 2007-01-04, 09:50   Link #118
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Not quite what I meant, but as I thought really. Go to the Apple menu (top left of the screen) and select 'About this Mac'. What's it say there about your processor and RAM? It's almost certain that your machine is unfortunately too old to play the file you're attempting here, due to the onward march of technology I'm afraid. That said - go on and post your specs here from that dialogue box, maybe there's another software solution I can think of

-Andiyar
Old 2007-01-04, 09:56   Link #119
dreamerz

Processor 800 MHz PowerPC G4
Memory 512 MB SDRAM
Old 2007-01-04, 10:24   Link #120
dreamerz

@ andiyar

thanks so much for helping me. much appreciated.

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate