AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-01-13, 22:39   Link #201
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Desperate times. Was the army ever really that picky? I think they're just the minority.
Which army? This one or the real one during WWI? The real one, yes. No woman was going to go to the front lines. This one? That's what I'm wondering. Both sides of the war seem to have only men EXCEPT for Tanya and Viky. That's not a minority, that's an exception. That tells me, this world has a pretty male dominated society like our own at that time.
Someone suggested that it might have something to do with the deity's influence on the situation, which I can accept if that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor View Post
Seems to me that being both unexpectedly promoted and denied exit from an engagement was certainly an attempt by someone to kill her off. I wonder if Tanya will consider that possibility at some point down the road. Could make for a brutal story line.
That would be an interesting factor and one that I did notice. However, Tanya is such a "by the rules" person, I doubt she would question orders of higher ups, even if they were stupid and/or sending her out to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
Not only that but also because of her extreme competence, mature character and leadership skills despite her young age. The army was not dumb enough to disregard such talent. She has the experience of a ruthless business grown up man. That is even better than just being a child prodigy. That's why i liked the "isekai" touch in a character like Tanya. It makes such a funny and unreal situation while still maintaining some credibility of her abilities even tho she is still a loli.
I don't care if you did have "extreme competence, mature character and leadership skills despite [your] young age", if you were a woman, you weren't going to the front lines or given the postion of a soldier and especially not a command postion, in WWI. A being a ruthless businessman, doesn't exactly prepare you for what a woman would face in a similar situation.
My question was that this world DOES seem to respect Tanya's ability despite her sex and age. And yet, there are not other competent, mature, leaderly, skilled, ruthless, prodigy women out there that are serving on the battlefield? Because we've only seen Viky and that's it. And she herself is only about two of those things?
I'm just wondering if this world is truely gender equal, or is Tanya (and Viky) the lone exceptions. If so, why?

Someone has suggested it could be because of the diety's influence, and if so, I can accept that as making sense, I guess.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-13, 22:47   Link #202
Yamada II

Episode 2

So Tanya is twisted. She believes that you should only be logical and follow the rules no matter what as that will ensure your survival and success in life. Those who don't follow the rules don't deserve to live, which was also seen in the first episode with how she had those soldiers killed. He doesn't have the slightest bit of empathy or sympathy or whatever and thanks to that, a person he fired pushed him in front of the train. And the god he refuses to believe in gives him his final chance to become a believer, albeit with tons of handicaps. An orphan in a messed up war torn world with magic and a butt ugly face to boot lol. Tanya wanted to live a relatively less hectic life not on the front lines, but she unfortunately survived and didn't die heroically lol. Tanya trying to act cute looked super creepy instead of cute partly because you know that there's a monster hidden behind that cutesy smile.

Everyone was thinking the same thing about her "she's as young as my imouto/daughter." And this young girl ends up kicking their ass lol. She was going to show those soldiers hell and they underestimated her lol.

I liked this episode. The previous episode showed how tanya looks in action and this episode showed how she ended up like that. I think this worked well this way. Really like this crazy loli. The animation during the fight was cool. Liked those explosions. And that Overlord advertisement.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-13, 23:29   Link #203
Friday
Im shy too...

Reincarnated into a little girl.....

at least I know where she got her attitude from....

She'll be stuck on the frontlines for ages....

9/10
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-13, 23:38   Link #204
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I don't care if you did have "extreme competence, mature character and leadership skills despite [your] young age", if you were a woman, you weren't going to the front lines or given the postion of a soldier and especially not a command postion, in WWI. A being a ruthless businessman, doesn't exactly prepare you for what a woman would face in a similar situation.
My question was that this world DOES seem to respect Tanya's ability despite her sex and age.
I'm just wondering if this world is truely gender equal, or is Tanya (and Viky) the lone exceptions. If so, why?

Someone has suggested it could be because of the diety's influence, and if so, I can accept that as making sense, I guess.
I'm going to go with diety's influence.
I don't care how much of a potential a kid could be, you wouldn't sign up an 8-9 year old, and to them other than a good mage reading, she's just a brat.
Because for everything else in the world seems to operate on regular logic as far as military goes
Old 2017-01-14, 00:33   Link #205
Guppy

Quote:
Both sides of the war seem to have only men EXCEPT for Tanya and Viky. That's not a minority, that's an exception. That tells me, this world has a pretty male dominated society like our own at that time.
I think there are at least a couple of other female soldiers referred to in passing in the LN, but they definitely seem to be a minority and non-existent in the upper command ranks. (Tanya's age is still very unusual, of course.)

Quote:
I don't care if you did have "extreme competence, mature character and leadership skills despite [your] young age", if you were a woman, you weren't going to the front lines or given the postion of a soldier and especially not a command postion, in WWI.
Certainly true in general IRL, but the Russians did do it under exceptional (desperate?) circumstances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_...ilitary_career
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women'...alion_of_Death
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 00:52   Link #206
alt_account

Good episode. The encounter with Being X was done much better than the manga; I have higher hopes for this being one of those rare adaptations which truly improves upon the source material by taking advantage of the target medium. Much as manga readers complained about the character designs of the anime, the somewhat decent art is pretty much the only benefit the manga brings over the source novel, while being (not-really) arguably quite lacking in other areas; whereas the anime seems to be doing quite well thus far presenting the material in a new/exciting way.

Quote:
My question was that this world DOES seem to respect Tanya's ability despite her sex and age. And yet, there are not other competent, mature, leaderly, skilled, ruthless, prodigy women out there that are serving on the battlefield? Because we've only seen Viky and that's it. And she herself is only about two of those things?

Consider for a bit the significance of magic existing and the visible effect it has had on things such as the military in the show. For example, why do infantry still exist? Why is there no trace of any effect of magic upon civilian life/society? It's because normal humans still far outnumber the magic users, and the latter are highly prized by the military for their capabilities. The realism of female mages participating in the military of that era is doesn't really seem any different from e.g. how the Strike Witches universe treats it, in that regard.

In other words, don't worry too much about it!
alt_account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 03:42   Link #207
Flo
The Necessary Evil

If you have an aptitude for Magic, you will be conscripted. Gender equality be damned. Also the orphanage survive by military donations among other things so the kids there will be conscripted eventually, even then the orphanage is still poor and living condition is trash. If you're deemed as an high value asset and gonna be conscripted anyways, in Tanya's case it's logical to volunteer instead of continuing living in a shithole while waiting to be called up by the military

Last edited by Flo; 2017-01-14 at 06:15.
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 07:03   Link #208
Irenesharda

If you think Tanya's a monster now, just wait until she hits puberty. Lol

It would be hilarious to see how he/she handles her first period. And all the craziness that comes with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
If you have an aptitude for Magic, you will be conscripted. Gender equality be damned. Also the orphanage survive by military donations among other things so the kids there will be conscripted eventually, even then the orphanage is still poor and living condition is trash. If you're deemed as an high value asset and gonna be conscripted anyways, in Tanya's case it's logical to volunteer instead of continuing living in a shithole while waiting to be called up by the military
There's a few things wrong about that argument. If that was so, we would see more females around on both sides, even if just a few. Also, the orphanage looked like it was under the Church rather than being a state institution. Also, drafting during this setting never included females. Even today, it's still only a male thing for most Western nations. If they were just conscripting people left and right, then you would indeed see a whole lot more women.

It really seems more so that Tanya is an extreme special case with some divine intervention at play.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 07:51   Link #209
Zefyris
図書館狼

the reason he's female rather than male. Rewatch the beginning of episode 2. The point is to corner him and not have him in a superior part of the society she's going to live in.
So, poor. Orphan. with less technology. with a war that is going to happen soon in a country surrounded by potential enemies.

Ability in magic so that she cannot escape conscription.
And female, because back then female definitely would have a harder time surviving when poor than a male.

it's as simple as that.

Quote:
If you think Tanya's a monster now, just wait until she hits puberty. Lol

It would be hilarious to see how he/she handles her first period. And all the craziness that comes with them.

There's a few things wrong about that argument. If that was so, we would see more females around on both sides, even if just a few. Also, the orphanage looked like it was under the Church rather than being a state institution. Also, drafting during this setting never included females. Even today, it's still only a male thing for most Western nations. If they were just conscripting people left and right, then you would indeed see a whole lot more women.

It really seems more so that Tanya is an extreme special case with some divine intervention at play.
There are several females shown as mages already. Look back at the moment where Tanya depart from the ground in norden. You will see two female mages behind her in the background.
Note that not every country conscript female mages, so you cannot count the enemy mages in your %.
That's already 4 female mages we've seen on the Empire side so far. There's at least one other nation who conscript female mages, but we haven't seen them yet.

Also,
Quote:
I do have to ask about that. Original WWI, women didn't serve in active combat at all, much less 9-year old girls.
Here, while unusual, no one seems to have a problem with her serving. Here we see both her and Viktorya, but I have seen no other females of ANY age serving on either side, other than your usual non-com side roles. So, is there indeed gender equality here? Or is Tanya and Viky merely the exceptions? And why don't we see any other children if Tanya is accepted so readily? I'd expect some other child soldiers to come out of this war torn country.
the reason for why no other child is easy.
If you have strong enough magic power you'll get conscript eventually, no real way around it, but you're not going to be conscript right away, but older. So you would need to volunteer to get in military school in such young age. Which normally a very young child would not do (if even just because parents would oppose that, but Tanya is an orphan).
Then, it's just school military. you actually need to graduate from it. Tanya has the advantage of being an intelligent adult with tons of knowledge as well as the aptitude to learn and knowing HOW to learn. The amount of effort she puts to progress quickly in that military school is beyond normal. A normal child would first have to learn lots of basic that he already knew from his previous life, too.

Technically, there's no way a normal child would reach the last part of military school at that age.

And that's not finished. Normally, a child her age even if she managed to reach that part that quickly would NOT be sent to war. You need to remember what happened this episode. They were attacked exactly on the frontier Tanya was finishing her "apprenticeship". They had to revoke any authorisation to go back for the "apprentices soldiers" currently here because they needed any troops they had as the attack was sudden. So they left Tanya on the front. This could have been temporary. BUT. SHe had to face a situation you know. And now she's an ace in a period of war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
You can build a character like Tanya without those elements with any problem. For example what if she's just an orphan who grew in the heat of the war, the pain, watching her surroundings filled with sadness and then (taking basis on certain scene of this current episode) one day certain members of the army discovered her potential, so she decided to use that potential/power in the way she does in the current day. Just use something like that as starting point, and not the so common X guy died in japan and he was reborn on a different world setting.

Tanya is important and seems like she's the main focus of this story but a premise based on isekai (or better said Tensei) is not necessary at all, is just a random adittion that a lot of authors include in their works. You can like it or not, is matter of perspective and taste.

@TheForsaken, Rudeus say hi! to you. Is obvious he will be reborn as a kid, but let's be honest, adding the "reborn as a little girl" is the usual japanese delusion we saw in the past.
I'm afraid that doesn't work. I'll put the fact that you don't see why this doesn't work at all on the fact that you only saw 2 episodes of anime and didn't read the novel (as anyone who read the novel even partially would immediately point out it wouldn't work).
Tanya needs to have knowledge both in military, psychology, social skills, and so on that there is absolutely NO WAY a non adult could have. She also needs to have knowledge in what happened in XXth century warfare that this world cannot see now. She also needs to have a desire for promotion, a love for order and competence, a knowledge of how to learn and the will to not do something else (no playing allowed here) during her young years. And so on. no way a normal child, even an abnormal child in fact, could regroup all of this and more and still make sense.

Most of the novel is made of Tanya's internal thoughts. If you do not give all of the above to Tanya and more, then this novel is no longer working at all.

It is NECESSARY to have that character reincarnated.
It's not just a gimmick. If you remove reincarnation, Tanya cannot be 10% of what she is. And if she cannot, then the whole story CANNOT BE.

Last edited by Zefyris; 2017-01-14 at 08:13.
Zefyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 08:24   Link #210
DemonneoPT

Quote:

I would not disregard a divine intervention either in order to make it possible for a little girl to go so far in the army.
Tanya was recruited because of her magic and perhaps magic is more common in men? We don't know but in the dialogues we never saw anyone mentioning that detail. They were just impressed about Tanya's magic affinity and not because she is a female magic user. But then again, they had no prejudice either towards her gender which tells us in that world, or at least it's true in the Empire/German, men and women are considered somewhat equal. Even the soldiers were ok following Tanya's orders and only her voice and young age would make them doubt her capabilities which is a normal reaction tho. So i dunno. Maybe the reason why men are the majority in the mage squads will be addressed later or it's just a way the author came up with to make Tanya and Vicky stand out (even more) from the other characters. I dunno xD

EDIT: Also, i agree with Zefyris. He explained it really well!
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 09:39   Link #211
human6861

A group of mage in battlefield can be great power, specially in age before modern warfare . They have eyes of helicopter and artillery power , more mobile than any aircraft machine of that age.
They are rare too .
So i don't see any reason for not throw female mage into battlefield .

In Tanya case , more like her unlucky than they (the empire) wanted too use child soldiers. Her first battle (ep 2) is pure unlucky (get attacked when in train ) , and when multiple wars broke out (ep 1 , difference enemy mage who ride wooden horse lol ) and with shortage of mage , they need to use any capable for fighting mage , specially ace level like Tanya .

So her case can be count as extremely unlucky .
human6861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 11:39   Link #212
kari-no-sugata II

Ep 2 thoughts...

Best bit was definitely the "frozen time" scene with "X". A good example of making use of the medium (the setting of that scene is rather different in the LN). I was a bit surprised that they compressed the entire of chapter 1 into the 2nd half of the episode. While I think they did do a decent job of it, it did lose the sense of "weight" that the original had, as well as many background details.

(I was slightly surprised that they introduced the concept of power levels for mages... I don't remember that being in the LN)
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 11:46   Link #213
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefyris View Post
I'm afraid that doesn't work. I'll put the fact that you don't see why this doesn't work at all on the fact that you only saw 2 episodes of anime and didn't read the novel (as anyone who read the novel even partially would immediately point out it wouldn't work).
Tanya needs to have knowledge both in military, psychology, social skills, and so on that there is absolutely NO WAY a non adult could have. She also needs to have knowledge in what happened in XXth century warfare that this world cannot see now. She also needs to have a desire for promotion, a love for order and competence, a knowledge of how to learn and the will to not do something else (no playing allowed here) during her young years. And so on. no way a normal child, even an abnormal child in fact, could regroup all of this and more and still make sense.

Most of the novel is made of Tanya's internal thoughts. If you do not give all of the above to Tanya and more, then this novel is no longer working at all.

It is NECESSARY to have that character reincarnated.
It's not just a gimmick. If you remove reincarnation, Tanya cannot be 10% of what she is. And if she cannot, then the whole story CANNOT BE.
Your argument is entirely based on a point of view influenced by your own knowledge of the LN, obviously if we talk based on that, yeah it works. On the other hand you're entitled in that argument thanks to the source material without looking at the people who has zero information about the title, those are the anime only viewers.

The anime only viewer have 3 ways of looking at all this "God pulled the strings so I reincarnated in another world as a little girl" thing:
-Is funny and I liked.
-I didn't liked because is ridiculous and unnecessary.
-I really don't care, the story is going well.

Personally I'm in the second group, while other people can be in the first or third group as I saw on different sites and even here on animesuki. I mentioned this before because you're missing the point, this is matter of perspective (or personal preference) and for me is not something mandatory to have this tensei bullshit here based on the information these 2 episodes gave us, maybe at the end of the season when Youjo Senki is finished my perspective will change if the studio shows what are you saying in this adaptation.

Now, is really convenient having a mature way of thinking and all that knowledge in different areas of the human history, no wonder Tanya is somehow broken but the good thing is, this make her likeable and interesting. There exist examples of kids having the power and somehow the knowledge without the need of adding an isekai element but if you think it is really something needed here it must be for the LN content, hopefully the adaptation shows that in the upcoming weeks.

Last edited by AB079; 2017-01-14 at 12:34.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 11:56   Link #214
zztop

Moral is, don't be a smart-ass in front of a higher power with the authority to send you to heaven/hell/reincarnated life/isekai.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 12:25   Link #215
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Watched the first two episodes today. I had no idea this was Isekai, so I was quite taken aback by the intro of the second episode. It did explain a lot about Tanya's attitude in the first one. She acted like an adult. A very cruel one.

This is looking to be a much better series than Izetta already. So far, I'm pretty hooked.
Old 2017-01-14, 12:55   Link #216
Xical
Phantom User

No comments about about how Tanya is praising Lord(god) name in episode 1 in the mid of the fights but she is cursing him in episode 2?

Last edited by Xical; 2017-01-14 at 13:39.
Xical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 13:11   Link #217
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xical View Post
No comments about about how Tanya is praising Lord(god) name in episode 2 in the mid of the fights but she is cursing him in episode 1?
Change of attitude.
Old 2017-01-14, 13:23   Link #218
Tenzen12

Maybe he just realized being devote helps get promotion faster...
Old 2017-01-14, 14:23   Link #219
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Watched the first two episodes today. I had no idea this was Isekai, so I was quite taken aback by the intro of the second episode. It did explain a lot about Tanya's attitude in the first one. She acted like an adult. A very cruel one.

This is looking to be a much better series than Izetta already. So far, I'm pretty hooked.
Why people still said that Tanya is cruel, in two episodes my impression of Tanya is be logical, tactical, efficient, follow the manual because for that is the manual and by chance inflexible, is so bad acting with absolute logic above feels and emotions?
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 14:36   Link #220
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
Why people still said that Tanya is cruel, in two episodes my impression of Tanya is be logical, tactical, efficient, follow the manual because for that is the manual and by chance inflexible, is so bad acting with absolute logic above feels and emotions?
I'm all for Tanya but you don't really call that "above feels and emotions". She's clearly revelling in whatever she's doing, like blowing people up or sending people to their deaths. Not that I have issues with whatever she's doing, just saying she's not above feels or she'd have just sent her subordinates home as was her initial intention , which would still get rid of them without having them die. But she got mad basically.

Tags
reincarnation, tactics