AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-16, 20:08   Link #41
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
I heard rumors that they are doing an American version of Battle Royale or something that follows the basic storyline. Has anyone heard anything like this? Im sure it would be crap and that it would star "teens" who are really in their late 20's but still it would be cool to go laugh at how crappy it is compared to the real one. Ugh...can you imagine what it would become once Hollywood got its hands on it?
Old 2004-03-16, 22:41   Link #42
megazone23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darktan
i wonder if u talk about Kitano's movie.
If so there is actually an official release on dvd support in France, with franch subtitles. Would be really a shame if this movie can't be found in an eng-sub.

Now i may mistake, and confuse with an anime called battle royal, but so far with your discribes I don't feel wrong
I don't know about the first one, but I know that they've been released the second one on DVD. Well, in Hong Kong anyway. I don't have the DVD versions, but I have the VCD versions of both of them. Japanese voices and both Chinese and English subtitles on the bottom. (no, not bootleg. All Hong Kong-released movies (especially all of them from HK themselves) have the standard of putting both Chinese and English subtitles on the bottom)

Actually, they have it at amazon.com (I just checked)
Old 2004-03-16, 22:56   Link #43
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch
I heard rumors that they are doing an American version of Battle Royale or something that follows the basic storyline. Has anyone heard anything like this? Im sure it would be crap and that it would star "teens" who are really in their late 20's but still it would be cool to go laugh at how crappy it is compared to the real one. Ugh...can you imagine what it would become once Hollywood got its hands on it?
i agree that a hollywood version wouldn't be that great.... but... i doubt it will even be made.... considering those tragic highschool events that happened in america in the past... i doubt that the premise of battle royale would be even approved...

i've noticed parents get worked up on letal enforcers and grand theft auto 3... which are only videogames... i could just imagine the outrage if they made battle royale a hollywood movie...
Old 2004-03-17, 12:05   Link #44
Darktan

yes your totally right, they have not fixed the problem yet with the tragedy of Columbine. Indeed it would be shocking for many american lobbys.
Old 2004-03-17, 14:46   Link #45
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
I agree it would be quite shocking and that there would be alot of outrage because of it, but the shock value would sell tickets. Take for example the new movie The Passion of the Christ with its supossed anti-Semitism. I wonder how many people went just to judge for themselves whether it was or not. In my case, the controversy surrounding Battle Royale is what drew me in. I had heard that it was quite controversial in Japan and I heard the premise and I just had to see it for myself. The same goes for Ichi the Killer. But in the end I doubt anyone would have the balls to do the movie unless they tweak the story so its adults on the island instead of kids.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Old 2004-03-17, 15:12   Link #46
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I think Battle Royale would loss it's edge if they tweaked the story
and made all the characters adults. The main controversy over Battle
Royale was the premise of the movie; a class of ninth graders are
stuck on an island and have to kill each other off. This is because, in
most societies, the thought of a group of fourteen and fifteen year
olds being able to commit such acts (much less enjoy them) is simply
impossible. No parent would want to see a movie where it showed
that their child is perfectly able to kill if 'motivated' correctly. The
very concept of the movie challenged many preconceived social rules
about how we look at young adults.

If you were to make all the characters into adults, that element would
be lost. It would become just another over-budget, Hollywood slasher
flick and I'm sick of those (how many Jason movies are there again?).

On side note, Ichi the Killer is a great movie but I didn't care for the
OVAs that much. The soundtrack and dailogue consist primarily of
the main character screaming over and over and over and .... you
get the idea.

Last edited by Mr_Paper; 2004-03-17 at 15:17. Reason: Accursed SUBMIT button!!
Old 2004-03-17, 17:28   Link #47
Naruto2k

Send a message via MSN to Naruto2k
The Battle Royale movies is the best!
They are my favorite. Shuya Nanahara rocks!

It would be cool if they made a game out of it. (doubt they will)
Old 2004-03-17, 23:32   Link #48
Hi_There

The first was a pretty 'more to the point' movie and I enjoyed it, but I hated the second movie-bored the hell out of me.

The manga is IMO quite superior, if you can handle the material.
Old 2004-03-18, 00:17   Link #49
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
i could see a major studio making an 'americanized' version and completely screwing it up....
i could also see a major studio actually doing it right if they didn't pop-culturize it.
Old 2004-03-18, 04:30   Link #50
AoshiOniwaban

Lets just say they both were good lol
Old 2004-03-18, 13:39   Link #51
Hi_There

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshiOniwaban
Lets just say they both were good lol
-if ur talking about the movies...

I wish I could agree but the second movie BLOWS HARD!!!... IMO

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I was rooting for missiles to destroy that island before any of them could escape. I was also hoping for the first Teacher's daughter to pull the trigger on Shuya.
Old 2004-03-19, 01:34   Link #52
AoshiOniwaban

If you were rooting for Kitano's daughter to kill Shuya then whats the point in the movie? The point in the movie was that Shuya was waging war against the adults for commiting a crime on them. They killed students because they were bad. So he made the Wild Seven to fight back against them... So I'd say I wanted to see Shuya blow the fuck out of Kitano's daughter and that other guy who looks like Kiriyama.
Old 2004-03-19, 03:29   Link #53
mightyme

Iw as a bit elt down by the movie.. haven't read the manga.. but I LOVED the book.... and so much from the book was missing in the movie... alot of the relationship between the 3 main characetrs was lost.... the real point to the main villain (being compeltely emotionless.... which is a REAL psychological disorder, my sister has a BA is psyhcology and was discussing the book with me... she read my copy when she was bored) was completely lost..

certain key action scenes were sadly missing (like hiroki fighting the bad kid)....

shinji wasn;t nearlya s cool as he was in the book....

I just felt it was a major let down...

the only scene they did just nearly perfect was the lighthouse scene.. and then they rushed past everything that followed the destruction
Old 2004-03-19, 15:20   Link #54
AoshiOniwaban

Well I never really got to read the book. Because it was either to expensive to buy or I just don't want to waste my cash on it. But i'll borrow my friends book to find out the whole story in BR. All I know is that in BR 1 that was teh best. And Kiriyama's psychoness was a psychological disorder? I thought it was because he joined for the killing... And Kawada, Shuya, and Noriko. Whats between them? And does it explain why Kawada was in the first one? lol..
Old 2004-03-19, 20:44   Link #55
mightyme

ok... here
Spoiler:

Last edited by mightyme; 2004-03-22 at 18:37.
Old 2004-03-20, 04:00   Link #56
AoshiOniwaban

So wait.. Kiriyama had a gang.. But based on a coin toss.. He chose to play throughout that game and kill everyone? What the.. Lol.. Sort of insane if you ask me.. And that whole thing about his frontal lobe damage.. Could that really happen.. Cause if it can I wanna test it.. >=) Become the next Kiriyama. BWAHAHA Lol but possibility of death? 90% >_<! Oh well overall.. I read half of the book.. Hehehe.. Good book but gets boring after 2 hours of nonstop reading.. Oh well I rate it 7/10 so far
Old 2004-03-20, 21:31   Link #57
AoshiOniwaban

Anyone know where I can just read it from the net? I mean a internet site where they have the whole book.. And stuff.. Lol.... My friend grabbed the book back from me.. -_-
Old 2004-03-21, 11:55   Link #58
Sabin

Send a message via ICQ to Sabin Send a message via AIM to Sabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
It's not subtitled, unfortunately, but you can purchase the movie from this site.

If you like that, I'd recommend this. I've been meaning to get this one for a while
now, the Battle Royale collar alone would make it worth it.

Oh, any version of the movie with subtitles is a bootleg and I'd suggest avoiding those.

Actually you can get a legit copy with subs in most European countries and there is an NTSC version that you can find pretty easily in North America as well.

These links may be of interest to you

http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/video/db1.html

http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/video/tartanntsc.html

I have teh NTSC version though this page reports that Tartan has stopped producing it.
Old 2004-03-22, 03:32   Link #59
mightyme

Spoiler:

Last edited by mightyme; 2004-03-22 at 11:11.
Old 2004-03-22, 08:07   Link #60
e2-
Genius!

plz dont spoil
Closed Thread