AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-06, 17:56   Link #21
james0246

A run down on the Best Animated Feature Film nominees:

Spoiler for Best Animated Feature:
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 03:41   Link #22
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I am cheering for Hurt Locker to win the best director . I hadn't known this a few days back but now I do . The director is breaking new ground and creating opportunities . Never before I have ever watched such a gusty gritty movie directed by a female director . Before you go sexist I can even go as far as to say she chokes all her male counter parts, when it comes to war movies . One of the most realistic war movies in recent times and yet takes no sides .

I hope Kathryn Bigelow does win the Best Director for Hurt Locker . It will open a window of opportunity to women directors who are forced to do chick flicks otherwise .
Old 2010-02-22, 00:18   Link #23
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

I honestly can't figurate out why Inglourious Basterds and District 9 are both nominated for Best Picture.

Inglourious Basterds like all of Taranttino's movies has a pitty porr storyline filled with tons and tons of unecesary violence, add long and tired scenes with unlimited boring dialogs and a most fantasious & ridiculous "what if" trama wich made this movie a most disapointing experience saved only by the acting of Christoph Waltz (wich was really good).

As for district 9, I can only say that it's one of the most ridiculous movies I had ever seen, the lack of scense, mix of "stupid documental" and "gorish action" plus a really poor acting made this movie a BIG waste of time.

I only hope Avatar, The Blind Side or at least UP will get the oscar, since any of these movies deserv it more.
Old 2010-02-22, 00:21   Link #24
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

The Blindside? What made that so great?

All I saw was another semi-lame 'Nice White Lady' movie.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 00:33   Link #25
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post

I dunno, but is of those movies who leaves you a good taste, perhaps is the personality of the characters or the catching story wich was presented in s imple but lovely way, not all movies need a set of action packed scenes in order to be good.
Old 2010-02-22, 00:48   Link #26
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

I'm trying to find a way to post my annoyance for this movie without coming off as bitter, so I'll just post a parody.

I just don't see how The Blindside is different from the other movies that follow this trope other than the fact that it's a housewife instead of a teacher. It's just another cliche concept. Enjoyable is it may be (I'll admit that I found the Ron Clark Story entertaining), I don't think it's Academy worthy.
Old 2010-02-22, 00:53   Link #27
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I'm trying to find a way to post my annoyance for this movie without coming off as bitter, so I'll just post a parody.

[youtube]No need for videos or stuff that goes out of the topic[youtube]

I just don't see how The Blindside is different from the other movies that follow this trope other than the fact that it's a housewife instead of a teacher. It's just another cliche concept. Enjoyable is it may be (I'll admit that I found the Ron Clark Story entertaining), I don't think it's Academy worthy.
You know that Blindside is a true story right? How can it be a copy or a cliche then?
Old 2010-02-22, 00:55   Link #28
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

That doesn't really matter tbh. The concept is still the same. Besides, a good portion of the trope is based off true stories, doesn't make it more deserving.
Old 2010-02-22, 00:58   Link #29
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
That doesn't really matter tbh. The concept is still the same.
Thens the idea of cliche or repeated trama looses a bit of efect, doesn't it?

Anyway, I don't think Blinside will win, perhaps Sandra Bullock will get the oscar, but the movie for best picture probably will not.
Old 2010-02-22, 01:28   Link #30
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
You know that Blindside is a true story right? How can it be a copy or a cliche then?
You know "The Blind Side" is a fictional film based on real people, right? It's not a documentary in the slightest. Much of the film doesn't even come close to the book, and much of the book was dumbed down in order to tell a well meaning, but well known (as a cliche), story.

"The Blind Side" is definetly a feel good movie, and it has been quite awhile since such a film has won Best Picture, but it does seem a little unlikely that the film will actually win Best Picture.
Old 2010-02-22, 10:46   Link #31
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
I only hope Avatar, The Blind Side or at least UP will get the oscar, since any of these movies deserv it more.
Both of those movies shouldn´t be up for best picture either imo.
Quote:

Yeah, it seems like just another movie trying to show white people as some sort of mystical race of angels, whose every action results in good things happening to the ´lesser´races.
Old 2010-02-22, 11:17   Link #32
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Yeah, it seems like just another movie trying to show white people as some sort of mystical race of angels, whose every action results in good things happening to the ´lesser´races.
To be fair, the movie is a lot better than this tired trope, and one of the few things I would credit Sandra Bullock’s performance with is the fact that she does a fine job of not making her character reflect on the colour of Big Mike's skin. She simply sees a child in need, so she helps (admittedly, the film is hampered by the fact that the boy grows up to be a NFL draft pick, which essentially underscores the message of the film, but whatever).

That being said, I agree that the film shouldn't have been nominated for Best Picture.
Old 2010-02-22, 11:21   Link #33
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That being said, I agree that the film shouldn't have been nominated for Best Picture.
The only Best Picture nominee I agree with is The Hurt Locker. I also thought Invictus was really good, why that wasn´t nominated instead of Blindside, I will never know.
Old 2010-02-24, 11:11   Link #34
james0246

^I disagree. "Inglourious Basterds", "Up", "Up in the Air", "Hurt Locker" and "Precious" are all well deserving of their nomination for Best Picture (They were actually my initial choices for what should be nominated if the previous rules had not been changed). "District 9" probably shouldn't have been nominated (I'm on the fence), and "A Serious Man" and "An Education", while very good, did not really deserve the Best Picture nomination. "Avatar" and "Blind Side" were the populist nominations (of which there si always at least one), and thankfully it doesn't look like there is much support for these nominations in this category.

Last edited by james0246; 2010-02-24 at 11:22.
Old 2010-03-04, 15:48   Link #35
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

The funny thing about Cameron Vs Kathryn Bigelow is . They were married once and she used to assist him back in the day . Its a battle between Master and Prodigy but the love angle makes it even more personal . Here is Cameron's take on the Hurt Locker :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0pv9XslEwg

Old 2010-03-04, 18:01   Link #36
james0246

Best Picture nominees and prediction -

Spoiler for Best Feature Film:
Old 2010-03-05, 00:29   Link #37
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Kathryn Bieglow (Hurt Locker) recently created History being the First Women to win the Best Director at BAFTA AWARDS .

She has already won the best director at Critics Choice Award . So hope Oscar does come her way . But know what would be anticlimactic , Jason Reitman & Up in The Air walking away with both Best Director/Movie . Felt George Clooney IMO deserves an Oscar for Up in the Air for a stellar performance, bringing Bingham to life . The character thanks to Clooney feels so real, also somewhere down the line your drawn into Clonney's charisma . Though quite didn't like as in enjoy the movie, too bitter sweet for my liking . But the scene where Vera/George counsel Kendrick, shows the caliber of Clooney Performance .
Old 2010-03-08, 00:11   Link #38
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

The winners were:

Music
Up

Song
"The Weary Kind" Crazy Heart

Makeup
Star Treek

Art Direction

Sound Editing
The Hurt Locker

Sound Mixing
The Hurt Locker

Film Editing
The Hurt Locker

Costume Design
The Young Victoria

Documentary
The Cove

Short Animated film
Logorama

Foreign Language Film
El Secreto de Sus Ojos-Argentina

Visual Efects

Writing (Original Screenplay)
The Hurt Locker

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire

Actor in a Supporting Role
Christoph Waltz in "Inglourious Basterds"

Actress in a Supporting Role
Mo’Nique in "Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire"

Animated Feature Film
Up

Actor in a Leading Role
Jeff Bridges in "Crazy Heart"

Actress in a Leading Role
Sandra Bullock in "The Blind Side"

Directing
Kathryn Bigelow in “The Hurt Locker”

Best Picture
The Hurt Locker

NOTE: I can't recall short documentary film, short live action film and Cinematography, any help here?

Last edited by Evil Rick; 2010-03-08 at 00:27.
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 00:13   Link #39
james0246

Unsurprising, if overly "political" awards (Bullock and Bridges were not the best in their categories, and "The Cove" should have never won, and "Coraline" should have won Best Animated film). Still, Mo'nique and Bigelow won, and "Avatar" thankfully did not receive Best Picture, so for that I am very happy.
Old 2010-03-08, 00:29   Link #40
Buttercup~
<3 ice cream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Unsurprising, if overly "political" awards (Bullock and Bridges were not the best in their categories, and "The Cove" should have never won, and "Coraline" should have won Best Animated film). Still, Mo'nique and Bigelow won, and "Avatar" thankfully did not receive Best Picture, so for that I am very happy.

I'm glad that Avatar didn't win Best Picture too >_> Maybe because it's just too overrated and I never really understood why everyone loved it so much...
On the other hand, I actually did not enjoy Coraline o_O I thought it was.... boring? compared to even Up and Princess and the Frog. The story didn't really captivate me at all. The Cove was a REALLY good documentary and I actually think it doesn't get enough credit. I have no comment to Bullock and Bridges though since... well I had a feeling they'd win.
Buttercup~ is offline   Reply With Quote