AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-09-14, 17:07   Link #141
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
But if I'm not mistaken, it's going head-to-head with CLANNAD, yes?
Well, it's not exactly "head-to-head", unless you consider every show in a similar genre in a given season to be "head-to-head". They'll be airing on different days, different times and on different channels. I suppose that, unless the show turns out badly, the amount of people who will buy the merchandise for both are already fairly defined. People really like their fights and comparisons for some reason ("There can be only one!") but really, this isn't a sport, or something. I plan to watch and buy both.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 17:40   Link #142
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Last edited by Ichigo91; 2007-09-15 at 04:28.
Ichigo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 18:01   Link #143
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, it's not exactly "head-to-head", unless you consider every show in a similar genre in a given season to be "head-to-head". They'll be airing on different days, different times and on different channels. I suppose that, unless the show turns out badly, the amount of people who will buy the merchandise for both are already fairly defined. People really like their fights and comparisons for some reason ("There can be only one!") but really, this isn't a sport, or something. I plan to watch and buy both.
lol i agree relentless.. Unless Ef was made to directly compete with clannad (meaning airing at the same time on different channels, thereby forcing viewers to choose which they prefer) it doesn't stop viewers to watch both shows and enjoy them both.

Also in terms of merchandise, most anime viewers have a diverse taste and against two similar types of anime which they thoroughly enjoy who's to say they can't buy both?
Old 2007-09-14, 18:05   Link #144
UPR

Quote:
Agree with you 100%. Clannad airs 4 while this airs 6 no reason why people can't watch both. It all depends how good there are. Which i believe they will be good. Man i love romance anime's and these two will go at the same time.
Old 2007-09-14, 18:18   Link #145
Shana

Quote:
O_O

I always thinked this was like a sport: You're a fan of certain group (You're a fan of X anime) and you got mad if it miss (And you got mad if your fav character is having pain).

Weeell~ I'm waiting to this series
Old 2007-09-14, 22:11   Link #146
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I consider Toei's AIR the Movie and KyoAni's AIR (TV) to be "head-to-head". I consider Lucky Star and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei to be "head-to-head". I consider Toei's CLANNAD the movie and KyoAni's CLANNAD (TV) to be "head-to-head".

As far as I'm concerned, CLANNAD and EF is "head-to-head" to me, at least where publishing for RIUVA is concerned.

Which reminds me, I'll have to do that Zetsubou-LS Head-to-Head very soon, since both shows are ending...

In any case, it seems I'll be tagging this as a Fall watch, along with CLANNAD, of course.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 03:36   Link #147
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
I always thinked this was like a sport: You're a fan of certain group (You're a fan of X anime) and you got mad if it miss (And you got mad if your fav character is having pain).
Really, so much of AnimeSuki Forums can be summed up by this comment, sadly.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 06:49   Link #148
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ I refuse to believe XD
Er being a crazy all rounder this has to be another series to add onto my list ~ as well as clannad. While i dont usually compare like with like series i also dont see any problem with it (unless it is something really outrageous being said to whichever series that inst true).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 09:17   Link #149
Ascaloth

Okay, I was watching a couple of trailers about ef that Skyfall had pointed to me to, and the first one I saw made me go, "Goddamned, KyoAni's gonna have some real competition on their hands for once if the animation for ef is gonna be THIS good".....

Until I realised that I was watching the trailer for the game. :/

After that, watching the trailer for SHAFT's animated adaptation just wasn't the same somehow. And here I was thinking that a KyoAni production was going to have some competition on the sakuga front...now I'm fearing that this could end up as yet another anime on the "needs a KyoAni remake" front, if ef doesn't turn out as pretty as I had hoped.

That's only for sakuga though. I have no comments about the storylines, for the moment anyway.
Old 2007-09-22, 17:55   Link #150
holyman282

Actually I found the animation for the actual trailer to be extremely good.... Offcourse compared to the game OP it can't compare, but luckily I watched the anime trailer first.

I really don't see the "bad" animation that would require the kyoani remake treatment... I animation was amazing and if it's consistent with the anime trailer i don't see a need for Kyo to remake it.
Old 2007-09-23, 03:39   Link #151
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Hey, I remember this topic from like every other eroge adaptation. Look folks the licenses have been dealt and that's just how it's going to go. Wait and see how things turn out before crying foul on anything that has yet to happen.

Remember, time travels in a linear fashion, it goes action--->reaction---->result. It can go result---->reaction, but the reaction can never come before the event itself.

As for head-to-head, that's more like in American sweeps seasons where the networks deliberately air there heavy hitters agains each other to shore up ratings and score good advertising deals. In a situation like anime where many shows air on multiple networks at different times, there's no real situation where shows need to compete with each other for viewers.

Finally, (I really hope) Game CG transitioning to animation will always result in a loss of overall quality as doing about 1,000 High Quality stills is affordable, but trying to do 24:00 minutes of solid footage a week of that same quality is not reasonable and would probably look awkard.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 17:51   Link #152
GipFace

For anyone who cares, my fansub group has completed the demo and the first fandisc.

http://nnl1.com/ef

Enjoy... who knows what else you'll get from us...
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 17:58   Link #153
taelrak

Very nice! Thank you
taelrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 22:53   Link #154
holyman282

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace View Post
For anyone who cares, my fansub group has completed the demo and the first fandisc.

does that mean you guys might do the translation for the game as well!! omg if you do thank you!!

I remember you guys cause you guys did the Wind game... I really appreciated what you guys did!!
Old 2007-09-25, 07:41   Link #155
DarkWarrior
Anaheim Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace View Post

Thank you, I really enjoyed the demo. The visuals were extremely well done. I can only imagine the amount of money and time it took minori to do something like that.

... and I find the Supah Blink mode highly disturbing.
DarkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 10:51   Link #156
cyth
Banned

Quote:
now I'm fearing that this could end up as yet another anime on the "needs a KyoAni remake" front, if ef doesn't turn out as pretty as I had hoped.
I would only ask "Why?" SHAFT is a good animation company, the prelude looked more than decent, the character designs look faithful, so I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 10:59   Link #157
Ascaloth

@Toua,

You're right actually, the prelude didn't look all that bad. I really only said that because it didn't look as good as the game itself.

Oh well, I dunno if SHAFT has the animation consistency that KyoAni is much vaunted for, that's all. I've heard things about Negima!? that I can't confirm, so yeah.
Old 2007-09-25, 11:20   Link #158
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
@Toua,

You're right actually, the prelude didn't look all that bad. I really only said that because it didn't look as good as the game itself.
It is kinda preposterous to expect an anime, or even an OVA, to be as good looking as a recent eroge CG. Time and budget wise, it is simply suicidal to try such stunt.
Now, i guess you didn't really expect such thing, but I don't think art comparisons are pertinent in most case.
Quote:
Oh well, I dunno if SHAFT has the animation consistency that KyoAni is much vaunted for, that's all. I've heard things about Negima!? that I can't confirm, so yeah.
There are many other studio as effective as KA, depending of their genre and such.
SHAFT is pretty much a very good studio in term of lively colors and animation, which can be litteraly crazy in various instances (see Negima!? for colorful joke with unconventional style, or fluid fast paced actions and dynamic plans)

That said, studio have little to do, as for most cases, the product is much more important than the expectations you can get. (big examples: JC staff and Gonzo. Both can do the very best or the VERY WRONG, to the point to give walking black histories. *cough*Shingetsutan *cough* Kaze no Stigma *cough*)

Back on ef, I finished the demo, and it was really enjoyable. Miyako quirks and antics give me me lots of "school days Sekai" and "sola Matsuri" vibes (much more for the former, of course).
It is very rare that a "default" girl grow on me so quickly in VN. Someone want cute and moe? I guess Miyako fulfill this role very very well already.
As a side note, after watching the anime prologue once again, i had hard time to recognize Miyako VA.

From what i could get with the demo, It is very similar to sola (force of interaction and some mysterious aspects of the protagonists), but with a much more elegant/classical environment (the BGM help A LOT in that regard) and a much better mood, as it is heartwarming.
The demo convinced me to put ef on "top expectation" list, instead of "high expectation".

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-09-25 at 11:37.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 11:31   Link #159
Ascaloth

Heh, I guess you're right, Klash. Me be silly fool.

In any case, ef remains one of my two must-watches for the Fall season. No prizes for guessing the other.

In any case, where can I find some in-depth background information on ef and minori? I'm intending to write a Head-to-Head article on it, and I've got all the background info I need on the...ahem, other must-watch.
Skyfall's given me quite a bit already, but I could use more. And Wikipedia isn't much help.
Old 2007-09-25, 11:42   Link #160
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Well, it is a bit hard to give information about Minori, considering they aren't exactly a big VN company. (Well, not like Key, navel, orbit, e.go etc...)
As far as i can tell (since i played Wind -a breath of heart- and ef demo), Minori style (the minority spirit) is somewhat basing a lot of the actual interaction between the characters, be it with the girls or the "side characters", playing specific roles.
It isn't anything outstanding (especially how the "branches" are done in wind), but is has a cohesion, and something... well charming? (though Hikari's route in wind was a bit a joke...)
Ef gave me some serious "poetic" vibes, despite the demo only introduced some characters. The style and Hiro's interactions with Miyako is something... well not like Maeda Jun's usual "fairy tale" style, but rather something peaceful, and harmonic. (and so, the comparison with Sola)

I believe the demo (not really big, and with DDL) should give clear indication how the novel will be, if you reunite what you know with the game OP and the anime prologue.
speaking of which: does anyone know how to access the "fandisc" content? I could only find the... "supah blink mode"

*sigh* I'm dying for waiting a released track of the OP (preferably without any lyrics, or another singer XD)

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-09-25 at 11:56.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft