AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-01, 10:27   Link #341
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembr View Post
I don't see Yamato anywhere, she's named Amahara Fuyuki.

You want the entire profile translated?? There's not much points of interest.
You're good. I didn't know that was the wrong one. I swore I saw a long Lucky Star calendar also featuring Yamato's profile somewhere. Guess I'll have to keep hunting.

Thanks for the head's up!

Dee
Old 2008-08-08, 13:28   Link #342
Gespenst
Real Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No... that's the way she's drawn in the comic. Its more like both Nagato and her come from a similar visual meme.
That would be the Rei Ayanami type…

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
Q. why does konata's dad wear traditional japanese clothes? don't know if anyone can answer it...sorry if it's hard but was wondering about it.
He’s an author isn’t he? Most authors seem to lead unconventional lives and wear traditional clothes. Shigure from Fruits Basket makes a big deal about authors wearing traditional clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratix View Post
I just realised, they haven't explained who the Nagato cosplayer is..
Perhaps it’s just Yuki Nagato? She plays herself in a cosplay café! It’d be just the sort of meta-humour they like. She is played by the same Seiyuu Minori Chihara (who also plays Minami and herself in episode 12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
My question, as a law student who studies some copyright law, is the law in Japan a lot more lax when it comes to using artists works to create your own? I believe that if you started publishing your own stories using Mickey Mouse and trying to sell it here in America it would earn you a quick lawsuit from the folks at Disney. It just seems like the law in Japan is more lax, is that a correct assumption?
There was an article about this somewhere a few months back (I can’t seem to find it now) the fans and creators seem to have some sort of mutual understanding, they let the doujin artists do their thing and they get some extra publicity. They don’t seem to mind as long as no one takes it too far.

And most mangaka started off drawing doujin anyway. It’d be a bit hypocritical for them to start complaining now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satomi87 View Post
Is Konata a lesbian?
She was known to hit on Kagami...
She’s about as gay as Haruhi Suzumiya is.

She just does it because that’s what she thinks she ought to do … maybe.

That’s not to say that she definitely isn’t…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
It's a reference to Gundam's fictional science system... I think. Something about Minisky particles? Minsky particles? Something like that...
Minovsky Particles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH View Post
well at least it's not chock full of fan-service tho :-D, i see way to much of that in R+V ahhaah
yeah the characters look a lil diff...but not enough to push me away tho
That’s what you get when you watch a fanservice anime right?

Q: Is Hiroyi a prominent character in the manga?

I’d like to see more of her…

Q: My computer can display Japanese fonts but for some reason I still can’t see the ‘Star’ in the middle of Lucky Star. Does anyone know why this might be?
Old 2008-08-15, 09:43   Link #343
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Question: Kagami frequently says something like "Ossu" when she greets Kona-chan. Is that correct? AFAICT that's used as a greeting primarily between male friends (like "yo!"), but can it be used in informal situations by anyone as well? Or is she saying something else?

Thanks!
Old 2008-08-15, 10:24   Link #344
Rembr

It's a greeting. With a slight masculine connotation.
Old 2008-08-16, 13:20   Link #345
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

^ Isn't it a greeting used in martial arts or something? I think I read that someplace.
Old 2008-08-17, 00:21   Link #346
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... its akin to using "boku"--- a kind of tomboyish, flirty-aggressive mode.
Old 2008-08-18, 22:24   Link #347
Once and Current Subber

I don't think I'd go that far - "boku" can just be "young and asexual", but "ossu" or "oissu" definitely has a strong informal connotation. "S'up!"
Old 2008-08-19, 02:46   Link #348
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
So Ossu can be used by guys to say: "Yo wussup?"

and boku is only used by young people?
Old 2008-08-19, 15:17   Link #349
Rembr

Boku has a masculine and a somewhat youthful connotation. No one would blink if an older gentlemen referred to himself as boku from time to time. A female using it would invite a tomboyish image or something along those lines.
Old 2008-08-21, 15:14   Link #350
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
Here's something - I heard someone allegedly quote Kagami Yoshimizu, saying that "Konata & Kagami (as a couple) is whatever the readers think it is". The person couldn't provide any source. Did Yoshimizu really say that? It would make me happy if he did.
Old 2008-08-22, 22:53   Link #351
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It isn't unusual for an author to leave the specifics of a relationship ambiguous enough that fans can read whatever they like into a situation. There have certainly been enough very loud discussions about K&K.
Old 2008-08-23, 13:49   Link #352
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

As a viewer/reader, I think that's a smart move. I like it when it's up to me. I asked because some people on another forum were basically saying "Well they're straight so I'm right and you're wrong." I guess I'd like to ask them where they got their facts if the author himself claimed ambiguity to the matter.
Old 2008-08-23, 15:00   Link #353
Rembr

But he's saying that the facts are up to the readers, right?
Old 2008-08-23, 15:54   Link #354
BOOKGLUTTON
;;'

If true, this is awesome.
Old 2008-08-24, 04:37   Link #355
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Myself, I tend to think they're just very bonded close friends of the type common to Japanese high school culture. But I certainly concede there are plenty of moments where one could argue it might be much more.
Old 2008-08-24, 16:48   Link #356
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

I like to think of them as much more, being a yuri fangirl. :P I don't dismiss the possibility of what Vexx said, though. And I can't help but like Kagami's image song for this reason. :x
Old 2008-08-24, 19:15   Link #357
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami~n View Post
Here's something - I heard someone allegedly quote Kagami Yoshimizu, saying that "Konata & Kagami (as a couple) is whatever the readers think it is". The person couldn't provide any source. Did Yoshimizu really say that? It would make me happy if he did.
The author also made a small note on the side of the volume 1 omake musing that romance probably won't happen in this series. Of course, that's just the manga. You have to remember that it's usually KyoAni that adds these lovey dovey things in, not Yoshimizu.

I'm really hoping for some mangaka to come out with a statement about how little control they actually have on an anime. Really, they don't.
Old 2008-08-25, 10:30   Link #358
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

I know it won't happen, I just want to be allowed my imagination. ^^

And I also know that it's mostly KyoAni feuling the fire, and I like them for that.
Old 2008-08-25, 12:26   Link #359
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

かがみ~ん (kagami~n) ... I highly recommend this book to you as it is funny and comes pretty close to what you may be looking for. It is in Japanese but even if you don't read the language, the images tell the stories pretty well.

Its a collection of short stories written and drawn by other mangaka concerning the ambiguous nature of the relationship between Konata and Kagami. It is my translation project for the fall.

Title: らき☆すた コミックアラカルト~ラッキーたーん (角川コミックス) (コミック)

Here's a link to amazon.co.jp for it. The ISBN-13 code is 978-4048541640.

I've seen it for sale at Kinokinuya bookstores both in San Francisco and Portland; also in anime/manga stores in L.A., so if a store carries the japanese versions of Lucky*Star at all, they'll probably have it.
Old 2008-08-25, 14:02   Link #360
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
かがみ~ん (kagami~n) ... I highly recommend this book to you as it is funny and comes pretty close to what you may be looking for. It is in Japanese but even if you don't read the language, the images tell the stories pretty well.

Its a collection of short stories written and drawn by other mangaka concerning the ambiguous nature of the relationship between Konata and Kagami. It is my translation project for the fall.

Title: らき☆すた コミックアラカルト~ラッキーたーん (角川コミックス) (コミック)

Here's a link to amazon.co.jp for it. The ISBN-13 code is 978-4048541640.

I've seen it for sale at Kinokinuya bookstores both in San Francisco and Portland; also in anime/manga stores in L.A., so if a store carries the japanese versions of Lucky*Star at all, they'll probably have it.
^^ Thank you Vexx. That sounds really cool. I don't read the language, though I would be learning now had I the time or the funds... I do live in NYC and we have our own Kinokuniya. I could bring them the code and they could help me out.

Good to know that it's your translation project. The (frivilous) fan in me would probably buy it regardless, but I'm betting that I'd really like to know what it says too.

Again, thank you. That was really nice of you!
Closed Thread