AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2012-12-10, 18:14   Link #5241
kitten320

In all honesty Juvia annoys me. She is one of those characters where comic relief is going way too far because she looks like a retard for most of the series. No wonder Gray pays her 0 attention.
Old 2012-12-10, 18:25   Link #5242
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
In all honesty Juvia annoys me. She is one of those characters where comic relief is going way too far because she looks like a retard for most of the series. No wonder Gray pays her 0 attention.
QFT!

Juvia has gotten boring IMHO. Her intro was great but repeating that same joke to death is her only plot purpose... and to a guy like Gray, well he doesnt strike me as the type to fall in love with his stalker, more the type to fall for a best friend (not professing GrayLu, just that if Juvia wants Gray she needs to change her game and become more well rounded and just there for him).

That said Juvia isn't as boring as Lisanna... in my subjective opinion.
Old 2012-12-10, 20:55   Link #5243
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
QFT!

Juvia has gotten boring IMHO. Her intro was great but repeating that same joke to death is her only plot purpose... and to a guy like Gray, well he doesnt strike me as the type to fall in love with his stalker, more the type to fall for a best friend (not professing GrayLu, just that if Juvia wants Gray she needs to change her game and become more well rounded and just there for him).

That said Juvia isn't as boring as Lisanna... in my subjective opinion.
Juvia did try a different approach by using a weird potion which ended up causing chaos in the guild,

well i don't find Juvia annoying or boring at all, in fact she is one of my favorite character in the series, i think that her comic theme is one of the biggest comedy in the series and about her love for gray,she is devoted to him, but we have also seen a scary and deadly side to it, when Meledy threatened to kill Gray.

And now it has also formed a love triangle with Lyon in the picture, i don't see why one should find her boring or annoying

Last edited by mystogan; 2012-12-10 at 21:08.
mystogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 23:05   Link #5244
Simonsy

I don't know if it's that Juvia's gag/schtick has gotten more annoying or if its just her character has become more and more useless.

Seems like every character (7 year skip ones) has been improving this series and getting more character and better fights, ect. EXCEPT Juvia. She either is missing in the arc or gets some pathetic fight or does nothing new.

I think if she was given better screentime when not doing her gray fawning more people would like her.

Hell she had a perfect oppertunity to shine in that water stage, but no she did nothing unique before she gaged her way out. I didn't mind her losing the way she did, I just feel they should have given her a better spotlight before she lost. She basically just caused a water current to knock a few people out, it was boring.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 00:58   Link #5245
Eragon
Still Alive

Well, the problem with the stalker gag is the same as the sit gag in Inuyasha - if do it enough times, it starts to get on peoples nerves. Also, it gives off the impression that she's got nothing better to do - effectively rendering her a one dimensional character who's only point in being there is to lust after Gray.
Well, since I don't like Gray either so I am mostly indifferent to the gag. His no-clothes gag is just as worn out.
Since the only pairings I'm interested in are of Lucy's and Erza's, I could care less who emerges a winner from that pathetic love triangle.
Old 2012-12-11, 01:05   Link #5246
Ryus
The One Eyed King

^No manga spoilers here but recall Juvia did get second origin... so we can't judge her power until we actually see her in a complete non-gag fight (as if that will ever happen). But yes, I concede the point one of the big issues with both Gray and Juvia is that they have gotten sidelined and don't seem to ever grow in power (minus Juvia's rage moment vs Meredy last arc... that quickly went away never to return as of yet. if she had more of that, I'd likely respect her a bit more. As to Gray, his last solo fight vs a good opponent was Ultear... but that was really the Ocean that beat her, not Gray in the slightest. Hell, Ultear had enough magic to fix the Tenrou tree 3 eps later that was half an island away, so she clearly had tons of magic left over to fight with, she was just too shocked by the reveal to use it and had no desire to when Gray was about to bleed out... beyond that Gray's last good solo fight was against Sugerboy and he wasn't a real 'strong' opponent exactly )

As to characters not getting power improvements after time jump... I'd give that award to Jet, Droy, Levi, and Lisanna (they've always been useless and will likely remain so, though at least levi has a very good and interesting relationship with Gajeel). Juvia due to second origin has potential, though again Hiro is only using her for gags... so she's yet to have a serious fight in ages (what Tower of Heaven arc vs Rocker dude was the last one?... her fight with Meredy was a nakama speech really with both characters giving up the fight)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystogan View Post
Juvia did try a different approach by using a weird potion which ended up causing chaos in the guild,
Filler episode... doesn't really count (though one of my 2 fav filler eps, other being Changeling. The early fillers where great in this series )

Quote:
well i don't find Juvia annoying or boring at all, in fact she is one of my favorite character in the series, i think that her comic theme is one of the biggest comedy in the series and about her love for gray,she is devoted to him, but we have also seen a scary and deadly side to it, when Meledy threatened to kill Gray.

And now it has also formed a love triangle with Lyon in the picture, i don't see why one should find her boring or annoying

Look, I loved Juvia in the beginning but her role just got too repetitive and without plot purpose beyond gags. Yes, I find her antics funny when I first view them, but never nearly as much on a reread. Plus as funny as her antics can be, they doesn't change the fact she's become a one topic gag character (her love of Gray... and all it's variants; such as "Why Won't Gray Love Me", "Lucy, My Love Rival", or "Lyon Needs To Go AWAY So I Can Be With Gray"... I mean really when is there going to be even an unexpected joke topic with her, you'd think we'd get at least one non Gray related Joke by now. It's like a baseball game where the pitcher is only throwing fastballs... sure they work but when is the unexpected curve ball coming)

As to the "love triangle"... well, it isn't really one. Lyon is just a third wheel not really a love triangle in it's truest sense. He's unwanted by either Gray of Juvia (and likely beyond the gag by most of the reader base too). Being a manga reader I can't comment further on this plot line cause I would risk posting a spoiler or hint of this plot line, suffice to say I found it repetitive quickly enough like all the Juvia stuff (though that's just my subjective take on it). Though like the last arc, due to Zeref and Ancologia, the main plot did start to reveal itself for the series... so maybe we'll luck out and Gray/Juvia will actually get some plot development.

Spoiler for Now about Meredy... :
Old 2012-12-11, 01:05   Link #5247
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Well, the problem with the stalker gag is the same as the sit gag in Inuyasha - if do it enough times, it starts to get on peoples nerves. Also, it gives off the impression that she's got nothing better to do - effectively rendering her a one dimensional character who's only point in being there is to lust after Gray.
Well, since I don't like Gray either so I am mostly indifferent to the gag. His no-clothes gag is just as worn out.
Since the only pairings I'm interested in are of Lucy's and Erza's, I could care less who emerges a winner from that pathetic love triangle.
Just need to do it a unique or fresh way more often. I mean look at Lucy's house. For some reason I have not gotten tired of the 100% guarantee that someone is there when she opens the door. Heck I kind of look forward to it. He has managed to keep that fresh enough by having different people, different places in the room, showing up at different times, ect.

All Juvia does is stand behind a pole and think about gray or get mad at the nearest woman. The anime has done a better job with her gag in that it has done some decent "imaginations" with her. Don't know if Hiro realized this and started to do it in the manga, cause she had that one that was pretty good dealing with Lucy and Gray after the both lost in round one.

But either way, I still stand by my belief that if Hiro would just develop Juvia more outside of her gag, her gag would be more tolerable. Right now 90% of Juvia time is her gag time.
Old 2012-12-11, 01:10   Link #5248
Simonsy

Quote:
As to characters not getting power improvements after time jump... I'd give that award to Jet, Droy, Levi, and Lisanna. Juvia due to second origin has potential, though again Hiro is only using her for gags... so she's yet to have a serious fight in ages (what Tower of Heaven arc vs Rocker dude... her fight with Meredy was a nakama speech really with both characters giving up the fight)
Levi got second origin too. She should have improved in some way. Have we seen her fight yet? i don't think so. But even before time skip, she wasn't really much of a fighter. Not sure why she even did second origin. If she writes the word "wind" now will the gust be much bigger?

Yep as I believe, Juvia has been reduced to pure gag. That's why its started to knat on everyone. A character needs more than a gag. I'm hoping that by the end of this arc she gets a decent fight. Her last chance to do that was the Meredy fight and it ended up being her just as you said a talking battle. Not her fault, Meredy forced that to be the only possible outcome. Please let Juvia get some redemption this arc. Not that I like her, but I just want to quit hating her.
Old 2012-12-11, 01:27   Link #5249
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Yes, Levi did get Second Origin. Though her role as the brains of FT renders her likelihood of ever capitalizing on Second Origin unlikely besides maybe to feed Gajeel more iron in the future or something, plus she's not really the type to fight in a tournament.

IMHO the only reason she was chosen to go to Tenrou Island wasn't her power level but her mind and the fact Makarov knew Gajeel would use her as a way to team up with her since he couldn't take Gajeel officially since his cover to Master Iwan of Raven Tail is that he's an outsider in the guild that hates FT and wants to destroy them for vengeance. So him being picked to go by Makarov would have been too risky hinting to Iwan that Gajeel is working for Makarov, but Levi provided the excuse to get Gajeel there.

Now about decent fights, I'd like every lesser used character to get one (from Mirajane, to Freed, to Gray, etc...)... but boy there are a lot of characters now. Lets hope Juvia get that fight, her large ammount of panel time practically demands it, though we'll see if she gets it though. (not a hint or not if she will/wont, only referring up to now in the anime)
Old 2012-12-11, 01:49   Link #5250
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

it looks like everyone is pissed off at Juvia and Gray(i think) because they haven't been shown doing some major fight, but it's the call of the plot, the plot requires to show that fairy tail has weakened and others are very powerful

in Fairy tail team A : Lucy,Gray and Elfman these are characters which are mostly to be shown to lose in the beginning, they can't show Natsu or especially Erza to lose in a battle(seriously they haven't show Erza lose a single battle ever since the series started)

In fairy tail team B : Juvia and Mirajane are the characters are more likely to be shown to lose in beginning and they have also Shown Jellal lose by some means, now they surely can't show Gajeel or Laxus to lose

it doesn't mean they are any less powerful,and about Juvia's gag moments, so does everyone want her to be serious, it will be like Jet and Droy getting serious and fighting till death for Levy, Juvia's-gray-love-gag-moments are good just as they are,
Old 2012-12-11, 02:09   Link #5251
Simonsy

At least for me its not that I'm sick of the gag, but more that she has become ONLY a gag.

She was a S-class mage in her former guild. Look at her fights since she has joined the guild. Or her character in general. Instantly I can think of the team up with Lucy against Guitar guy. But beyond that all I recal is basically gag scenes. I have to do some actual concentratign and thinking arc by arc to even come up with another like the Meredy fight. And that wasn't much of a fight, it was based on her Love for Gray again.
Old 2012-12-11, 02:16   Link #5252
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsy View Post
At least for me its not that I'm sick of the gag, but more that she has become ONLY a gag.

She was a S-class mage in her former guild. Look at her fights since she has joined the guild. Or her character in general. Instantly I can think of the team up with Lucy against Guitar guy. But beyond that all I recal is basically gag scenes. I have to do some actual concentratign and thinking arc by arc to even come up with another like the Meredy fight. And that wasn't much of a fight, it was based on her Love for Gray again.
so what difference does it make if it is out of love, doesn't the entire guild fight in the believe of their friends and the guild is their family, how is love any different,

and if you want another non gag or say more serious moment of her, then she also sacrificed herself rather than to fight Cana against Freed to gain acceptance in the guild.
Old 2012-12-11, 02:41   Link #5253
Eragon
Still Alive

You don't seem to get the point. It's not that she needs to become a serious character it's about her becoming more than her gag. Look at Lucy - she's a lively, cheerfull character but she's more than any one thing(in other words she's not one dimensional). Or Erza - she has more to her than just being a girl who's heartbroken over Jellal or being powerfull character.
Juvia, at this point in time, is just a gag - or rather a girl lusting after naked-boy. She needs to be more than that.

Last edited by Eragon; 2012-12-11 at 02:52.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 02:55   Link #5254
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

so you say about her character requires more development or more elements in her character, first thing you can't compare her to Lucy or Erza about character development or character elements, both of them are the central female characters of the story and Lucy is the main female lead, Juvia is neither a central character nor a side character same as Gajeel,

and the reason as to why is there less development of her is because she hasn't gotten enough screen time, she wasn't in 'Orasion Ceis ARC' or 'Edolas ARC', she was in 'Tenrou Arc' there she did great , she is here now here in 'Grand Magic Games' wait for a few episodes and she will do great her as well.
Old 2012-12-11, 08:46   Link #5255
Ryus
The One Eyed King

First off Juvia doing 'great' in Tenrou Island arc is subjective. As previously stated I found her role just a long Gray joke and nakama speech to Meredy. As to this arc, up to now in the anime, she's still just a one gag character... as to waiting a few episodes for Juvia to get great this arc, well, good luck with that and define 'great'
Old 2012-12-11, 09:15   Link #5256
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Everyone in FT has a crazy quirk (except Lucy who plays the straight man, more or less). Juvia's has been her crush on Gray. The problem has usually been that she hasn't gotten much development. I really did like her development in the Heaven's Tower arc, and the Tenrou arc, where we saw the more tender and determined sides of her, but as mystogan noted, she has been absent from several arcs.

So, while I grow a wee bit tired of her quirk, I'm also a wee bit tired of a few other peoples' quirks. But knowing what comes up ahead in the manga, and what has been hinted at, I'm satisfied Juvia, as a side character, will get more development.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 09:47   Link #5257
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
First off Juvia doing 'great' in Tenrou Island arc is subjective. As previously stated I found her role just a long Gray joke and nakama speech to Meredy. As to this arc, up to now in the anime, she's still just a one gag character... as to waiting a few episodes for Juvia to get great this arc, well, good luck with that and define 'great'
by 'great' i mean doing best in how much time is alloted to them in the arc, and about her tenrou battle, if you recall properly Juvia, Gray and Meledy were linked together, all of them would have died, if one of them was killed, clearly killing all three of them was not an option there
Old 2012-12-11, 10:52   Link #5258
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Everyone in FT has a crazy quirk (except Lucy who plays the straight man, more or less). Juvia's has been her crush on Gray. The problem has usually been that she hasn't gotten much development. I really did like her development in the Heaven's Tower arc, and the Tenrou arc, where we saw the more tender and determined sides of her, but as mystogan noted, she has been absent from several arcs.

So, while I grow a wee bit tired of her quirk, I'm also a wee bit tired of a few other peoples' quirks. But knowing what comes up ahead in the manga, and what has been hinted at, I'm satisfied Juvia, as a side character, will get more development.
I recognize that she wasn't in two arcs (actually she was in Edolas before ft got absorbed). However that is my point Hiro ignores her quite often and when he does use her its mostly for gags. What I want is something else just so she'll come off as a multidimensional character... potentially she could be an amazing character, however she just always ends up sidelined.

As to me being satisfied knowing what's coming... not so much. The only real development her plot line got thus far, she wasn't even in the scene (that said it was set up, so really hoping we'll get more later). The rest of it we've all seen before.

Once again she's funny and I'm looking forward to some of her upcoming jokes but that's all I'm looking forward to with her... I have hope one scene will be fleshed out but the arc isn't over yet so just maybe Juvia will actually get more development.
Quote:
by 'great' i mean doing best in how much time is alloted to them in the arc, and about her tenrou battle, if you recall properly Juvia, Gray and Meledy were linked together, all of them would have died, if one of them was killed, clearly killing all three of them was not an option there
Sorry but for me the purpose of the scene is as important as hype or any other factor... and when you get down to it Gray and Juvia's only plot purpose that arc was to teach nakama to Ultear and Meredy. And when Nakama is involved no one will ever die in this series... after Makarov, Elfman, Evergreen, etc that arc it was clear nobody would die that arc on FT side so by the time it got to Gray/Juvia you would have had to have blinders on to think they could have actually died.
Old 2012-12-11, 16:13   Link #5259
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Wow, I was kinda ignoring it but just WHERE did all the Juvia hate/disappointment come from...(that was a meta-question, please don't answer to it) I guess the pot boiled over for some people.

While I can kinda see why Ryus and others might be feeling like that - Juvia, among others, have a lot of potential but Mashima's constraints don't allow for everyone to get their time to shine as much as they can. Unless he gives them their own 'filler chapters' like with Gildartz, I don't see this problem fixing itself.
Old 2012-12-11, 20:30   Link #5260
Ryus
The One Eyed King

its not hate... just constantly disappointed. I wanna like Juvia and often enough do, just want Hiro to stop dragging out Gray and Juvia constantly... get them together or just bloodily end it

Now I do admit that, about three weeks ago there was a huge miss ft contest on another thread where Juvia vs Lucy got very heated. I was pro Lucy cause she is a more well rounded character. Well there was so many dupe accounts made to take down Lucy that I got very anti Juvia due to it... mostly to fish for Lucy votes... but after you look for flaws in a character its hard not to see them anymore... I also got very annoyed since many of the people on the thread where just bloody trolls who took down both Erza and Mirajane already, I was going to be damned if I'd let them take down Lucy too for the sake of a one trick pony character... especially since Erza got 16th out of 16 place (even though I prefer Lucy, I'll admit Erza should have gotten first). So sorry if I came off strong but after 100 plus episodes (250 chapters) since Juvia first appeared thati just expect more, I mean come on an even more side character such as Mirajane has transitioned 3 or 4 times as a character and Juvia is just the same person in the same roll over the same length of time.

Anyways, again I like Juvia but I expect more from her too. So in my POV I like to say I see her as she is not only as I want/don't want her to be.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen