AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-26, 12:00   Link #601
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yep. This thread is dangerous for newcomers indeed. I’m glad I didn’t check the previous pages. For those spoiler-spammers: please don’t do it again. This thread is not limited to game-players to spam their game-knowledge. Please learn some net-manners so anime-only viewers can enjoy the discussion here too.
Old 2013-04-26, 12:01   Link #602
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Apparently "huge otherworldy monster thing attacking a city" = Eva.
You forgot the addition of Teenage Angst and people dying everywhere just because it helps fuel that.

And Angels clearly means EVA Angels because... Angels.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 12:10   Link #603
Shadow5YA

Good thing the anime isn't really following the game anymore, so any game knowledge people might have is rendered irrelevant!
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 12:12   Link #604
TrueDevil
Not from this world

This episode was meh.
Daichi is still useless and Hibiki becomes more and more like a f***ing Bitch.
But im glad that at least Keita is confirmed dead and didnt got sun rised.
Its also good they keep killing people off and show how desperate and hopeless the situation currently is.
Still, they shouldnt make all characters become useless and only showing Hibiki dashing with no plan and the same demon at the enemy.
Since DS 2 is a RPG Game they should at least keep some strategic points and not simply overpowered demons.
TrueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 12:16   Link #605
Destined_Fate

Only 13 episodes though.

DS2 has far too many characters for them to really develop anyone in that short time frame. Hell 26 and 50 episode animes have had left characters underdeveloped even with smaller cast than this.

So don't expect it to get better outside maybe one or two characters other than the main.

Maybe Io since she's the main love interest.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 12:17   Link #606
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Ep4 was really bad. The pace is horrendous (similar to how I felt about ep2, but worse), and it was honestly boring and poorly directed. The production values (which are already kinda low in general) took a huge nosedive too. Characters looked off model quite often in the episode, and when Byakko was first summoned it looked like between ep3 and 4 he had a bit too many kitty treats. LOL. Fatty kitty.

But all that is forgiven when I watched the preview and saw AIRI! YESSSSSSSSSSSS! :P
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 12:19   Link #607
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Good thing the anime isn't really following the game anymore, so any game knowledge people might have is rendered irrelevant!
Maybe, maybe not. Nobody knows what they intend to do, so these spoilers are still spoilers until the anime tells us otherwise.
Old 2013-04-26, 18:17   Link #608
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Ep4 was really bad. The pace is horrendous (similar to how I felt about ep2, but worse), and it was honestly boring and poorly directed. The production values (which are already kinda low in general) took a huge nosedive too. Characters looked off model quite often in the episode, and when Byakko was first summoned it looked like between ep3 and 4 he had a bit too many kitty treats. LOL. Fatty kitty.

But all that is forgiven when I watched the preview and saw AIRI! YESSSSSSSSSSSS! :P
Agreed. Though I probably should have expected the drop in production values when they showed those ugly Angels in the previews attacking Merak.

Ah well, they killed Keita so they get quite a bit of leeway for me. If Justice Dork gets offed early, well, they'll get enough of a pass from me that they could make everyone off model and I wouldn't care. Though I still will be pissed if things continue to drag like they did here.

Also, I'm kind of disappointed that out of the Megami race of demons the anime had Io summon Kikuri-hime

Spoiler for Fate system reward:

Last edited by Angelic Cross; 2013-04-26 at 18:39.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 21:22   Link #609
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Will say I'm glad that Io got a chance to take action here. Has been hard on herself for being understandably upset that the world is going to hell and her family may or may not be ok. Did a pretty good job there being one of the few people to actually damage that enemy. Gave her all and did alright in the end.

I do wonder about Yamato's strategy. I mean just throwing bodies at an enemy didn't exactly work well for Russia in WW1. They were literally just throwing lives away and not getting much out of it. If the plan is to have Hibiki beat it at the last defence line maybe have a group attack that can attack with electricity. Otherwise I'm not sure how helpful it is to find out that this thing can easily attack large groups of people.

Hopefully Daichi picks up some better demons soon. Really can't help his friends out much like this. The weaker others remain the more Hibiki is going to remain convinced that he has to protect everyone.
Old 2013-04-26, 21:24   Link #610
MogMoogle1
Idol Power!

Kikuri-hime is one of my favorites, so it was pretty sweet to see her summoned. Things are getting intense, can't wait till the next episode.
Old 2013-04-26, 23:46   Link #611
eiyuu99

After watching the preview, I wonder if Hibiki can eventually summon the 4 Holy beasts
Byakko, Suzaku, Genbu and Seiryuu
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 11:24   Link #612
novalysis

I think this is going to end in a Downer, hopeless, soul crushing ending. And if you want to know the Good Ending, the anime would tease us with "Buy the game".
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 12:44   Link #613
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Nope. They just suck.

As for game mechanics:

Spoiler for game mechanics, story unrelated:
Spoiler for Reply to spoiler/some game mechanic stuff[/spoiler:

As for the episode itself, part way through I was honestly kind of upset when it looked like they were going to kill off Hinako. It had me thinking, "ah so this is how they're going to do this in 13 episodes, by killing off every other party member besides the core trio so that they don't have to worry about developing them and can just skip their arcs."

I honestly still don't know how or why this only gets 13 episodes cause it still seems to be just impossible to carry forth the narrative and developments of the game in a satisfactory manner without having to make significant and disappointing cuts to the adaptation. 24 episodes I can see them managing it, but I suspect the cracks will start to form in this narrative within the coming weeks. So far it's barely managed things strictly because it's in the opening arcs of the game where there's less characters and the plot points are coming a little slower but once the cast starts expanding even more and it gets to the choice making parts of the game....if they can somehow do this I'll call them masters of adaptation. The best bet would honestly be to continue not even trying all that hard at all and continuing to make the anime more it's own thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogMoogle1 View Post
Kikuri-hime is one of my favorites, so it was pretty sweet to see her summoned. Things are getting intense, can't wait till the next episode.
In the games I've often found myself skipping over her and ending up with Lakshmi and eventually the coveted Amaterasu instead. As far as the Megami race goes honestly nothing beats those two. I hope we at least get to see Amaterasu at some point.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 14:49   Link #614
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Spoiler for related to the previous game comparison, nothing story related:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
You forgot the addition of Teenage Angst and people dying everywhere just because it helps fuel that.

And Angels clearly means EVA Angels because... Angels.
I won't say there is "no angst" I mean that would be ignoring the obvious, but I don't feel like it's typical teen angst though.

There's a guy who feels like doing everything by themselves, another guy who wants to be useful but ultimately lacks resolve, and a girl who also wants to be useful but is slightly better at it.

That's a lot better than Ikari "I mustn't run away" Shinji.

Last edited by Dengar; 2013-04-27 at 15:09.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 21:57   Link #615
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I moved some of the recent game-related posts to the game thread. All game-related discussion should go there, including game-related speculation about what will happen in the anime going forward.
Old 2013-04-27, 22:24   Link #616
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
So uh, Hibiki has Byakko already and next episode preview shoes him using Suzaku. Gonna take an educated guess that he's gonna eventually have Genbu, and Seiryu. By the last episode he's prolly gonna pull a fuse out and get a Kohryu to beat the last boss
Old 2013-04-28, 01:42   Link #617
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
So uh, Hibiki has Byakko already and next episode preview shoes him using Suzaku. Gonna take an educated guess that he's gonna eventually have Genbu, and Seiryu. By the last episode he's prolly gonna pull a fuse out and get a Kohryu to beat the last boss
Spoiler for Demon rosters:
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 13:28   Link #618
4Tran

Episode 4

Bad. I have no idea what the creators are trying to do with Devil Survivor 2, and this is just the latest expression of my confusion. Is this show supposed to be a nitty-gritty everyone's going to die Evangelion-esque war against alien beings? If so, then it will have to excise any fun scenes in favor of more doom and gloom. It seems to be a very poor trade off as the action scenes have looked ugly and unfun, while the characterizations haven't been very compelling either. I think Daiichi is my favorite character in the show so far, and I really shouldn't be more engaged by his non-participation in the battle than Hibiki supposed heroics.

One really big failing is to not incorporate the human characters into the fights. As it stands, they just end up dramatically pointing their cellphones at the enemy while vaguely suggesting that something exciting is going on. It all feels very artificial and non-immersive.

Will Airi save this show? The smart money says no, but we can all still hope.
Old 2013-05-01, 16:22   Link #619
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I'm closing this thread for the moment because it seems that game players, despite multiple warnings, don't seem to understand the concept that you are NOT ALLOWED to discuss the game in this thread, and that ALL COMPARISONS (to stuff already shown in the anime) must be behind clearly-marked spoiler tags.

Once we've taken the necessary steps to clean-up all the off-topic posts, the thread will be re-opened.
Old 2013-05-02, 15:44   Link #620
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Okay, I am now going to re-open this thread, while pointing out that I created a specific thread just for game comparisons. From this point forward, ALL comments related to the anime that have anything at all to do with the game must go in that thread. This thread is only to discuss the anime itself. If you post game comparisons in this thread, your post may be either moved or deleted, and you may receive a warning, infraction or ban.

This is a different policy than we usually employ, but it seemed to me to be the only way to keep this thread on-topic going forward. Please take note.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-03 at 02:10.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlus, devil_survivor, index, persona