AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-11, 13:28   Link #301
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

This show is on something good, seriously, I want what the creator is smoking/injecting/whatnot. Any series with dancing at the end is automatic victory for me, but the key to this series, I think, are the three female personalities.

We have Haruhi Suzumiya, who to me, shares a similar appeal as Shana (look at ztella's avatar and you'll understand) and is also capable of kidnapping, blackmail, and what can only be described as statutory offence (see "Haruhi gropes the moe"). With the ocassional zen-zen and the gigantic smile on her face, she is most capable of WIN. Though her behaviour seemed sporadic, Kyon showed us that it followed a specific pattern and that her main motivation was to make life more interesting. The world needs more personalities like that, as how Kyon described, they're the ones who innovate. He must have his work cut out for him if he was able to survive this up to the bunny girl sketch. She'll definitely be this season's best heroine, IMO.

Then we have Mikuru, the resident "turn on" - since Haruhi is well aware of the need for sex-appeal. Despite being an upperclassman, she's easily forced into the club against her will, but not without the teary-eyed victim look getting some screentime. I nearly lost myself when Haruhi began locking the club room's door! Its kinda interesting to note the moment Mikuru saw Yuki Nagato, she had a sudden change in perpective and became a willing to participant in Haruhi's game. Is it love at first sight? I sure wouldn't mind...

Lastly, there's Yuki Nagato. Can't say much about her, but she seems to be the opposite of Haruhi but on the same level of weird. Despite having her beloved literary club overrun by another club with an undertermined purpose, she's totally fine with it. Guess this makes her a club member by default.I can speculate that she will employ some sort of wave/psychic energy since many of the monotone introverted females do so in anime. I also speculate that at some point, she might subject to some goth-loli fanservice ('hoping for' more than speculating). As I noted earlier, she might have a deeper connection with Mikuru, or I might have just missed something prior to that scene - its definitely on my watch/rewatch list.

I'm definitely gonna stick to this series, since it seems to be an all-around feel-good series, without the angst of typical high school dramas. I haven't read any of the novels, btw, so take whatever I say with a grain of [insert whatever it was here].
Any thoughts on the genre of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"? And what aboot the talking cat? Will Haruhi get 5 to 10? What about the other dude in the opening? Guess we'll have to wait and see!
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 13:31   Link #302
Julius Firefocht

I just watched episode 2 and I am floored.

My only regret is that Haruhi Suzumiya is scheduled for only 14 episodes. Good things don't last long, I guess.
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 13:42   Link #303
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Shoubai Calendar says it will air on Monday the 17th at 25:30 (i.e., Tuesday the 18th at 01:30). That would be 12:30 noon Monday in NYC and 5:30 pm in London, I believe.
Er, I'm confused. Doesn't this show air on Sundays at 24:00?
Old 2006-04-11, 13:57   Link #304
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'd say a qualified "no" .. just the glowing cuteness of the major characters (I hope you figured out the student-made film was a massive poke at anime and fanservice).
Actually, the bad student film was a jab at self-made indies films. The series coordinator, 山本寛 (hmm.. is his name read as Yamamoto "Yutaka" or "Hiroshi"?) had many experiences in making independent films back in high school and college. Many of the "effects" that you saw (shaky camera movement, under/over exposures, microphone picking up different levels of sound, poor acting quality, etc. etc.) came from his experience in producing such independent tokusatsu SFX films. Basically, he is using all of his previous "experiences" to animate how shitty all his previous indies films were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr
Different TV stations (in this case local UHF stations) air shows at different dates, on different times. For example, if you live in the Tokyo area which gets Chiba TV reception, you can watch it approx. one week earlier than if you lived in Hiroshima.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-04-11 at 17:28.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 14:05   Link #305
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious
Is it love at first sight? I sure wouldn't mind...
Spoiler:

Quote:
Lastly, there's Yuki Nagato. Can't say much about her, but she seems to be the opposite of Haruhi but on the same level of weird.
She is like the third main character of the story XD . Without her, the story couldn't work. She is essential in every volume of the series.

She is the only character that can control the damage Haruhi causes. Well so can Kyon, but not in the way you imagined it ;^).

Different places have different air time.
千葉テレビ (CTC) is the ealiest station to air.
Old 2006-04-11, 14:11   Link #306
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

^ Haven't read the novel desu~~~ Though the stuff you mention kinda makes me want to, though it doesn't seem to hinder my ability to enjoy it. All my assumptions are based on two episodes, but I am completely hooked! I may PM you later to elaborate, if you don't mind.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 14:14   Link #307
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

I always wanted to be a MiB.

I figured that the SOS-dan, were it better funded, and actually had an international network of operatives, would be smart enough to realize that any entity that would care about infiltrating its ranks would have more than enough sophistication to replicate any simple physical token (that is to say, an identity card) intended to guard against intrusion. Therefore, I designed the card in such a way that it would serve two purpouses: 1) A simple discouragement to unauthorized access (much in the way a locked door won't stop a determined thief, but it keeps nosy neighbors out) and 2) a means with which a Field Agent can identify themself to parties while investigating paranormal occurences.

The QR-Code on the back is itended to allow quick dissemination of personal contact information. It includes the agent's name, email address, and a Public key with which to encode any sensitive data that another party may wish to disclose to the agent at a later point in time.

The bar code on the front is intended to be read by a hand held scanner or other similar device to bring up the information that is supposed to be associated with the agent, including more secure biometric information that can actually be used to authenticate the agent.

The SOS-dan pledge is on the back of the card in case the Agent ever needs to swear in a temporary agent in the course of an investigation. Of course, this serves no purpouse, but it might be cool.
DannoHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 14:22   Link #308
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Different TV stations (in this case local UHF stations) air shows at different dates, on different times. For example, if you live in the Tokyo area which gets Chiba TV reception, you can watch it approx. one week earlier than if you lived in Hiroshima.
Right, but isn't the earliest broadcast the one to name as "air time", when discussing anime on an international forum? Or did I somehow miss the part where the first asker tells us where he's located in Japan?
Old 2006-04-11, 14:24   Link #309
Woland
Latin Rascal

My impression so far is that Haruhi is probably one of the most intriguing female characte I ever seen in an anime. And I found her combination with Kyon especially good!

I really can't stop to make Haruhi AV °_°

I need someone who stop me

Last edited by Woland; 2006-04-12 at 12:37.
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 14:55   Link #310
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

OK,best anime of print 2006.
The idea of keeping the monologues is absolutely great.
It wouldn't be as funny without it.
Old 2006-04-11, 15:08   Link #311
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 15:10   Link #312
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr
Quite right. My mistake. I rushed to print without checking completely. That page gives the times for all episodes on all different channels. If you go down to Chiba TV, that is the earliest broadcast, on Sundays at 24:00. So episode 3 will be next Sunday night at midnight (i.e., next Sunday at 11 am New York time and probably 4 pm London time).

When you look at Shoubai calendar, you see that shows appear several times in a week, on different channels, as kj1980 wrote.

The calendar I made for myself (and a link to which appears in my sig, below) has the right day and time. I should have just checked there, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 15:59   Link #313
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Spoiler for Speculations on Kyon:

Also:

Spoiler for OP sequence:
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 16:05   Link #314
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Frankly, Haruhi can pull my tie anytime.
Agreed! Like the other posters have said, Haruhi is immensely attractive; I think less so tho when she's acting angry and 'stuck-up' (like I said earlier too 'Shana-ish') but it peaks when her enthusiasm level shoots through the roof into outer space. Thats when she's at her best.

>DannoHung
Very very cool looking ID card. Are you going to supply ID cards for the rest of us who want to be Haruhi's mindless SOS brigade drones?

>Maids! Maids! Maids!
*trigger-happy 'save-as' fingers* Makoto ni Arigatou Gozaimasu! Finally Haruhi on my desktop!

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 16:12   Link #315
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Yes, I probablly could, although I might be a little slow in getting them made unless said drones would be willing to take the steps of providing the information, precropping their headshots, and generating the two barcodes (which isn't that hard, but making unique PGP public key encryptions is time consuming).

dkellis:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-11, 16:15   Link #316
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoHung
Yes, I probablly could, although I might be a little slow in getting them made unless said drones would be willing to take the steps of providing the information, precropping their headshots, and generating the two barcodes (which isn't that hard, but making unique PGP public key encryptions is time consuming).

dkellis:
Spoiler:
Can you tell us more about the 'generating two barcodes' part?

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 16:32   Link #317
rainz
original vampire

A bit late to the party, but I was so impressed with the student film in episode 1 that I made this page to point out some of the more subtle things that went wrong in there...

http://www.rpi.edu/~ramask2/haruhi.htm

Reading the recent posts, I noticed that it's been stated that the director has worked in independent films before, and it really shows... brilliant job.

As much as I love the kind of humours in episode 2, I wouldn't mind if I get to see more of these kinds of things.
rainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 16:39   Link #318
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Holy cow, it took them 28.5 hours to jump from the end of thread 26 on 2ch to the end of thread 32... That's like 210 posts an hour @_@;
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 16:41   Link #319
cynicalicious
I like pie.

The best parts of the first episode were the sounds that the camera picked up as the camera operator tried to adjust the tripod, and failed miserably. (Been there, done that. A lot.) The bumping noises and the squeaky noises from moving/adjusting the tripod were great-- it sounded just like a $50 cheap plastic tripod.

And yeah, the simulated auto-focus hunting to find something to lock on to, as well, as the auto-exposure blowing things out, then underexposing, was also hilarious.

Even the blue screen and the digital artifacts when the tape stopped/started again were spot-on.

Brilliant stuff.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 16:41   Link #320
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

First thing's first for the "Public Key", you're going to want a long random looking string of ASCII characters. I originally thought it would be possible to use an actual Public Key, but the QR Code format can't handle strings that large, so part of a Public Key or just a long random sequence will do.

Next, you format your data like so:

For the QR code:

nameaniel Nugent email:nugend@us.sos.org phone:1-631-555-5555 pubkey:ThereallylongsequenceIjustmentioned

For the regular code:

nugend.8675309.us.20060406

where the first part is a username, the second part is your "agent number", the third part would be "Branch Office" initials, and the fourth part would be the commission date in YYYYMMDD format.

Then, you can use this form to make each barcode:
http://www.tec-it.com/asp/main/start...round.asp&LN=1

Use Code-128 (default) for the regular barcode and QRCode (third from the bottom) for the square one.

Get those two barcodes, your image (cropped to 344x346 pixels or so), and the data for the different fields and I can whip 'em up right quick.

I can also post the PSD files if any one wants them.

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen