Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-14, 20:28   Link #1521
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiko View Post
This one-series domination is a probably going to be the reason why there will be a backlash when next year's ISML Preliminaries take place, but we'll have to wait and see.
Saki never did all that well in ISML anyway, IIRC.

IIRC, Nodoka made it in one ISML season, but she basically served as little more than easy pickings for everybody else.
Old 2012-10-14, 20:50   Link #1522
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
This one-series domination is a probably going to be the reason why there will be a backlash when next year's ISML Preliminaries take place, but we'll have to wait and see.
Saki characters never did well in ISML to begin with. They are unlikely to get nominated and even if they did, no one would expected them to do well.
Old 2012-10-14, 20:54   Link #1523
Hachiko
The Akita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

IIRC, Nodoka made it in one ISML season, but she basically served as little more than easy pickings for everybody else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
Saki characters never did well in ISML to begin with. They are unlikely to get nominated and even if they did, no one would expected them to do well.
Points well taken. I mean, iDOLM@STER's crew have a better chance of going in that one.

Spoiler for SOA!:

Old school vs. new class. I wonder what the Saki voters will choose in this instance: do they go for one of the vets, or do they bring in a new face to diversify their 2channel AST portfolio?

Last edited by Hachiko; 2012-10-14 at 21:13.
Old 2012-10-14, 21:51   Link #1524
ion475
にこにこにー

So, going 1-1 (Group 3 record: 12-4) with Airi falling just short of assassinating Shana. H is more or less 50-50, but I like Niku's chance more.

For Group Final Prediction:
Group A: Koromo is another level compare to Saki in AST. Should be another QF appearance for the bunny ear.
Group B: The #1 Saki girl v. the #1 non-Saki girl. Predicting a Toki landslide despite how everyone think that it'll be close.
Group C: Bucchou is not exactly strong, Yayoi is popular doujin target. Neither really beat anyone (Okay, Bucchou did beat Kuuko, but Kuuko is not THAT strong...). Another 50-50 in my opinion.
Group D: Neither Louise nor Hinata have great wins either. I like Hinata's chance more.
Group E: Yuu in a landslide, next...
Group F: I have to go with my original prediction. すばらですの!
Group G: It's a toss-up. Nodocchi is still more popular, but it's not a given that she'll win against Ako.
Group H: Niku...this won't be Shana's year again.

So, 2x Ogura Yui looks likely...
Old 2012-10-14, 23:14   Link #1525
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
What does it matter if they didn't do much in Achiga-hen if they were central characters in the original Saki anime? So there's nothing "retarded" about the Saki fanbase continuing to value them highly.

They may have qualified for J-SaiMoe on the basis of Achiga-hen, but their value as characters obviously goes way beyond what we see in Achiga-hen alone. Saki fans aren't going to discount the original anime just because Achiga-hen is what put these characters into the tournament.
I have so many words for this logic but all of them would get me infracted.

They were central character in the original Saki anime but Saimoe 2009 was three years ago. A character should always be based on the current year. The character value of the mentioned Saki characters in Achiga-hen was pretty much zero.
Old 2012-10-15, 00:21   Link #1526
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
They were central character in the original Saki anime but Saimoe 2009 was three years ago. A character should always be based on the current year. The character value of the mentioned Saki characters in Achiga-hen was pretty much zero.
Okay, for the 4 "old" girls left...

Saki: Wasn't exactly dominating. Survive Maho assassination in first round, then didn't really win by that much against Kobato...(My prediction has Kobato winning, but she fell short...)
Koromo: Only "true" match was against Miki anyway. First round has a Strike Witches split, 3rd round is against Tacos (Who also face zero competition). My original prediction has Mokkan winning against her, but we all know what happen...
Bucchou: Probably the only "controversial" (as in not deserving to be in Group Final) "old" girl. Even then, her competition is a joke...(Group C & D overall are not strong). Hack, if Shizu survives Kuuko's assassination, this spot is Saki either way (Shizu would probably win against Bucchou, making this less controversial b/c Bucchou really doesn't deserves this slot...). Original prediction? Toshino Kyouko of course, but we all know what happen...
Nodoka: I pick Momo in her spot anyway (Of course, Momo lose to Nodoka). Again, not much competition before Hitagi anyway, and Hitagi is just not that strong.

If anything, I would say those Koromo, Bucchou, and Nodoka lucks out against weak competition. Saki isn't really facing anyone before Kobato, either, nor Saki won by that much (compare to, let say, Kuro > Shirakiin or Yuu > Charlotte). And even then, Nodoka appears more than 30 seconds in Achiga-hen, Saki is the namesake (Not that I ever like her). The other 2 just faced zero competition...
Old 2012-10-15, 00:46   Link #1527
seemmeriast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Theoretically yes, but practically no. The past appearance of a character in any year inevitably cumulates as value of that character.

For example, Shinku was qualified for Saimoe 2007 because of a two-episode OVA, and won third place. (The other dolls also got good results.) Can two episodes contribute that much to her popularity? No, it's because of the two seasons of the anime which was aired years ago. There are also many other examples of popular characters which were qualified in some year just because of a one-episode OVA and did quite well in that year.
Old 2012-10-15, 01:46   Link #1528
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
That's because -- not as many people outside Japan even know how to play Riichi.

I happen to play the game; and I became all bat crazy about it. Moeness aside, the game itself enhances the appreciation for the series, as I can somewhat relate to the amount of pressure behind the games they're in.
Old 2012-10-15, 03:38   Link #1529
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemmeriast View Post
Theoretically yes, but practically no. The past appearance of a character in any year inevitably cumulates as value of that character.

For example, Shinku was qualified for Saimoe 2007 because of a two-episode OVA, and won third place. (The other dolls also got good results.) Can two episodes contribute that much to her popularity? No, it's because of the two seasons of the anime which was aired years ago. There are also many other examples of popular characters which were qualified in some year just because of a one-episode OVA and did quite well in that year.
While I do not know what exactly happened in those two episodes, it should be noted that there is a difference between two episodes of an OVA in which a character appears for the majority of time or a whole series in which someone appears for ... 2x 15 seconds and does nothing except being in the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
[...]
What? I never mentioned Nodoka in my argument nor was it about their dominance through the tournament.
Old 2012-10-15, 05:24   Link #1530
Archaeon

Is it possible that the Saki manga has something to do on why the original Saki character make it this far? If you look at the Saki character popularity poll, 4 out of 5 original character are in top 5. Toki is the only one from Saki Achiga in top 5.

Spoiler:

Or maybe Saki Achiga hen promote the season 1 anime as well,thus increase Saki popularity? If I remember correctly, I read it somewhere in myanimelist or anime news network where Saki are doing well in both DVD and manga sales this year.

EDIT:
Found something. Saki and Saki Achiga hen manga are ranked 1 & 2 respectively on June 25th - July 1st manga sales.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=460003&show=0
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...june-25-july-1
Old 2012-10-15, 05:59   Link #1531
JW1

I find it hard to believe that Saki herself is the most popular Saki character, so I take that poll with a pinch of salt. I think she will lose out to Koromo.

I don't mind either Toki or Akari winning, but I think Toki will take it.

Hisa/Yayoi I have no clue about. Hisa is one of my favourite Saki characters, but I don't think she's that strong here. 50/50.

Ro Kyu Bu has proved to be quite resilient, so I'll go with Hinata over Louise.

Yuu will walk over Sanya.

I suspect Saki fans will choose Kuro over Kirame although I would go the other way.

Nodoka/Ako? An interesting one. On the face of it, Nodoka is the favourite, but I'll go for Ako winning this one.

I don't think it's the year, so I'll place my money on Sena for the last group.
Old 2012-10-15, 06:01   Link #1532
Hachiko
The Akita

Spoiler for Group A in a nutshell:

No surprises as to who I am tapping. Bunny Ears to finally get some sort of payback. Depending on her draw in the QF, this might be her last win at this AST.
Old 2012-10-15, 09:10   Link #1533
Team Rocket Elite

Saki nearly losing to Maho back in Round 1 doesn't look as bad anymore with Ro-kyu-bu's recent success. However, Koromo beat Miki who beat Tomoka. Saki also let Kobato get a bit close to her. I'm siding with Koromo taking the win and advancing to the Top 8 yet again.

Vote:
Amae Koromo

Prediction:
Amae Koromo
Old 2012-10-15, 09:38   Link #1534
RJ TAYLER

Now for the starting gun on the next level of the fun.

Colin Hay if you please..

"Who can it be now?.......
Old 2012-10-15, 10:04   Link #1535
ion475
にこにこにー

So, begins with a really uninteresting Group Final matchup...

Pick & Prediction: Kodomo. Screw the White Devil and at least the Bunny Ear is tolerable...
Old 2012-10-15, 10:15   Link #1536
Wanderer
Goat

I just saw the two Madoka movies. They weren't much different from the TV series, but holy crap, that was quite an experience.

Anyway, more on topic, I wonder how Madoka will do next year. In particular, I wonder if Homura has a chance what with what happened in 2011 (both her being cheat-sniped by some jerk and Mami ultimately winning it for her series). And I wonder if the third Madoka movie will be released early enough in the year to affect anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
People just dislike the whole franchise because it has 9/16 in the group finals but forget that some of the characters are actually likeable.

The main gripe that you should have is that a character who did nothing at all in the anime that counts might knock out someone else because the saki fanbase is retarded. Surprisingly that only goes for Saki, Koromo and Hisa and one of them will actually get knocked out.
People should vote for who they want to vote for for whatever reason they want and that's all there is to it. It's not something you can, or should even try to, regulate.

Although I am not fond of how restrictive the saimoe voting is. Heck, I live in Japan and I can't even vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I happen to play the game; and I became all bat crazy about it. Moeness aside, the game itself enhances the appreciation for the series, as I can somewhat relate to the amount of pressure behind the games they're in.
Pressure? To me it's an appreciation for how incredibly stupid their super powers really are. In a good way, of course.

-----------------------

And for fun, I will rank my preference of the top 16, but not reveal who they are, only whether they are -Saki- or not -Saki-.

1. -Saki-
2. -Saki-
3. Not -Saki-
4. -Saki-
5. Not -Saki-
6. -Saki-
7. -Saki-
8. Not -Saki-
9. Not -Saki-
10. -Saki-
11. Not -Saki-
12. -Saki-
13. -Saki-
14. -Saki-
15. Not -Saki-
16. Not -Saki-

---------------------------

And, votes for this round...

Round 1: Picks (45-43-8), Predictions (69-27)
Round 2: Picks (12-20), Predictions (22-10)
Round 3: Picks (7-9), Predictions (13-3)
Round 4: Picks (0-0), Predictions (0-0)

Saki Miyanaga @ Saki: <<宮永咲@咲-Saki- 阿知賀編 episode of side-A>>
Koromo Amae @ Saki: <<天江衣@咲-Saki- 阿知賀編 episode of side-A>>
Old 2012-10-15, 17:16   Link #1537
Hachiko
The Akita

Tracker is showing last year's Block A final, but looking at the board, this is a little bit more lopsided than we imagined.They're all voting for the Franchise!
Old 2012-10-15, 19:15   Link #1538
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Tracker is showing last year's Block A final, but looking at the board, this is a little bit more lopsided than we imagined.They're all voting for the Franchise!
Seems like they are bored of Koromo being in the top 8/ the same girl going to the top 8 more than twice unless there's foul play going on.

投票数:164レス 08:50:19現在
1位 114票 宮永咲@咲-Saki- 阿知賀編 episode of side-A
2位 44票 天江衣@咲-Saki- 阿知賀編 episode of side-A

Last edited by Ichuki; 2012-10-15 at 20:07.
Old 2012-10-15, 19:56   Link #1539
broken270
Defying gravity

This isn't your normal mah jong match.
Spoiler:
Old 2012-10-15, 20:13   Link #1540
Hachiko
The Akita

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken270 View Post
This isn't your normal mah jong match.
Spoiler:
You know why it's not a normal mahjong match?

Spoiler for The Reason!:

Tags
2012, anime saimoe tournament, saimoe, tournament