Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-05-28, 18:17   Link #41
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

`X-Men' Has 4th-Best Film Debut, $107 Mln in Sales

`X-Men' Has 4th-Best Film Debut, $107 Mln in Sales
Quote:
May 28 (Bloomberg) -- ``X-Men: The Last Stand'' had the fourth-largest weekend opening in box-office history with an estimated $107 million in ticket sales in the first three days of the Memorial Day holiday.

The News Corp. film had $45.5 million in ticket sales on Friday, making it the second-largest one-day gross in history, trailing only ``Star Wars: Episode III,'' according to Exhibitor Relations Co. ``Episode III'' took in $50 million when it opened May 19, 2005.

``We knew this film was going to have one of the bigger opening weekends of the year because the buzz was strong and the box-office potential was certainly there,'' said Paul Dergarabedian, Exhibitor Relations' president, in an interview. ``But for anyone to say they expected $107 million, we'd have thought they were crazy.''

``Spider-Man,'' released in May 2002, had the biggest opening weekend with $114.8 million in sales, followed by ``Star Wars: Episode III'' at $108.4 million and ``Shrek 2'' at $108 million.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 18:22   Link #42
Nuke Mayhem
Shopping Hero 4ever

Send a message via AIM to Nuke Mayhem Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Nuke Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-29, 14:04   Link #43
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
The movie was horrible. The quality was way below the first two. Crappy acting and dialogue. The story was pathetic. The actions and decisions of many of the characters made no sense and was inconsistent with their established personalities of the first two films. I'm not even even an X-Men fan and they way they handled a lot of the characters offended me. Overall a very painful experience.
The last scene [with the chess piece] was good though. Prevented me from feeling totally sickened as I left the theatre.
Having read most of Claremounts, Casey's, Milligan's and Austen's runs, I can say I am an X-Men fan, and I for one was not offended one bit, so that's all you.

As for the movie I loved it to bits, far better then the first two in my opinion. Although I did have my gripes like everyone on the team getting some airtime EXECPT Colossus and his two lines. And I wanted to see more Multiple Man action but after thinking about the last major battle scene, I understand why he couldn't be in it.

The character names didn't match their powers like Kid Omega being exactly like Quill or were given new powers, such as Callisto having those speed bursts.

And apparently the actor that potrayed Cyclops was doing the Superman Returns movie at the sametime X3 was being produced so I'm guessing thats why he had to get axe'd like that.

Overall fun movie.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-29, 17:09   Link #44
Legend Ver 2
The Omnipotent One

Spoiler:
Legend Ver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-29, 17:43   Link #45
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
Having read most of Claremounts, Casey's, Milligan's and Austen's runs, I can say I am an X-Men fan, and I for one was not offended one bit, so that's all you.

As for the movie I loved it to bits, far better then the first two in my opinion. Although I did have my gripes like everyone on the team getting some airtime EXECPT Colossus and his two lines. And I wanted to see more Multiple Man action but after thinking about the last major battle scene, I understand why he couldn't be in it.

The character names didn't match their powers like Kid Omega being exactly like Quill or were given new powers, such as Callisto having those speed bursts.

And apparently the actor that potrayed Cyclops was doing the Superman Returns movie at the sametime X3 was being produced so I'm guessing thats why he had to get axe'd like that.

Overall fun movie.
You have no taste man
I know a bad movie when I see one. And how this could possibly be considered better than the first two is beyond me. I mean... do you pay any attention to the dialogue being thrown around in a movie? the acting? the ability of the story to draw you in and make you feel for the characters? the conceivablitiy of the characters' decisions and reactions? Those are the things that make a movie, and they were definitely missing from this one.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-29, 21:55   Link #46
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
You have no taste man
I know a bad movie when I see one. And how this could possibly be considered better than the first two is beyond me. I mean... do you pay any attention to the dialogue being thrown around in a movie? the acting? the ability of the story to draw you in and make you feel for the characters? the conceivablitiy of the characters' decisions and reactions? Those are the things that make a movie, and they were definitely missing from this one.
I actually have an excellent taste in movies. See I went to see this movie just wanting two things, 1.) Seeing awhole lot of top tier asskickery and 2.) Seeing how over exposed Wolvie was going to get.

And I got them both. I wasn't execpting anything more or anything less. I could sit here and over analysis every nuance of the film, but I'm not, you know why? Its not Space Odyssey, nor was it suppose to be.

And anyone whosever read comics knows that the X-Men franchise litterally makes zero sense when it comes to character actions and reactions.

For example lets look at a new developement for a character named: Sage. She was part of the Hellfire Club and then later became an X-Men I think maybe... 3-4 years ago? But that's not the point the point is, that recently a few months ago it was revealed that Sage was the first X-Man EVER, but Xavier decided to make her a spy instead of an official X-Man and to have her spy on the Hellfire Club, but only Xavier knew the truth, got it so far? Okay then. So the last 20 years of X-Men falling into traps, getting almost killed, and the revival of possibly the most power evil comsic entity: The Dark Phoenix were all... "accidents"? What the hell kind of spy was she? And lets not forget that for a good almost 7-8 years Xavier was gone. That's right he took a shuttle with Lilandra and flew off to space for almost a decade.

So how can you be a "spy" when your only contact is out in space? And at the same time not tell his real X-Men that they've got someone working undercover? So you're telling me ALL the shit that Xavier made Cyclops go through with Jean/Phoenix and all that other crap, he's still not trustworthy? But someone who was there participating in the destruction of the known universe is?

So really the movie made more/perfect sense.

And also please do not attack mine or other members of this board, we all have different tastes, if I have offended you, then I apologize, and if you wish to further discuss my taste or anything else, please keep it in PMs.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 01:53   Link #47
jedinat

That long reply doesn't really address my post. A movie is a movie, I don't care how much more plausible it happens to be than the comic.

I'm sorry if my posts seem blunt, but I'm hardly attacking you
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 02:00   Link #48
Ochibi

Send a message via AIM to Ochibi Send a message via MSN to Ochibi
I was really excited about X3, I watched it on Friday with a few of my friends. I liked it, not as much as the second one but I'm usually a bad judge of movies. ^^

Spoiler:
Ochibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 02:24   Link #49
HoboGod
Necromancer

Just saw the film. Who wrote that crap? The dialog was predictable, the plot was sub-par, and the action scenes made no sense. And what the fuck was with the hidden message they were trying to pull? All the new mutants in magnito's brotherhood dressed like emo/goth freaks whining about how they are different and missunderstood. That was very gay....

/end rant

On the plus side, my friend payed for the ticket. And because the fire alarm was tripped by accident, delaying the movie midway, we all got coupons for a free movie. So technically, not only was the movie free, but I was also somewhat payed to watch that movie. And even then, it wasn't worth the ticket price.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 05:38   Link #50
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i have to say this one was definately not as good as the other xmen movies and felt rushed. lots of CG and pretty stuff, but the story was far too weak and whoever wrote the story was definately not a marvel fan.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 06:56   Link #51
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, the movie is just average for me. Dialogue lacks depth and a whole bunch of powerful mutants seemed pretty weak.

I expected Angel to have much more scenes and actual fighting, Juggernaut don't sound tough, Magneto never used any magnetic shields or bolts in all 3 movies. Phoenix was a huge disappointment, she was powerful, but she wasn't supposed be killed so easily. She didn't fly into the sun as well, I thought that would be an ending.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 08:07   Link #52
Rowi

I quite enjoyed the movie. It was totally over the top, as a LAST STAND is entitled to be. I must say, though, that I was annoyed with the fact that they never mentioned that Juggernaut was Xavier's brother... and that he's NOT A MUTANT!

The visual effects were mindblowing, and I LOVED the Magneto chess thing at the end. It was like a kick in the pants, like, we went through this whole drama and all these important people died, and the "cure" was only TEMPORARY? Mystique is totally going to make him go insane... since her other act of vengeance didn't really work, I'd bet she's still pretty pissed off...
Rowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 12:19   Link #53
x_Kotori_x
*Vice Captain Yuki*

my boyfriend and friend saw the movie,but didn't stay after the credtis, then they went home and read online that there was something after the credits. Poor guys :/
x_Kotori_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 17:50   Link #54
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
All the talks about a possible sequel made me realize exactly whats wrong with the movie, because it was good and entertaining, but it was supposed to be the "last" one, and it happens that everyone is more excited about what might happen in the sequel than what actually happened in the movie.

Not only they rushed over it and left many characters saying only two lines, they also left it open for a sequel. They should have never said this was going to be the last one, or if it was, make it properly, as big and complex as possible, I dont care if the movie ends up lord of the rings' long.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 21:25   Link #55
Eric the Grey

Personally, I liked the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Mayhem
1.Never kill or depower imporatant key characters to the franchise.
2.Never rewrite the orgin stories of characters.
3.Always leave it open ended for any kind of sequal(well the little extra after the credits might change that).
There are two things that need to be remembered here:

1. It's a Marval Universe. Nobody (edit: Ok, very few :P ) dies for good.
2. There is no gurantee that Scott is gone for good. I'd be willing to bet money on it that he'll return in the next movie, if they do one.

Spoiler:

Eric the Grey
Eric the Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 06:38   Link #56
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
I saw the movie and wasn't really impressed for the main reasons that it didn't have kurt, jean didn't need to be killed and it didn't show the "pressure" of humans wanting the mutants get the 'cure' through family, friends and media.

Spoiler:

Also angel never explained how he knew about the school or show the others why he came there.

I am hoping that when they release this movie to DVD it will be a longer one with the cut scenes in it.

So what happened at the end for ppl who didn't stay till the end of credits?
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 10:13   Link #57
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Oh poo. I didn't stay to see what happens after the credits either.

Could someone please tell me exactly what I missed?
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 14:08   Link #58
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
[QUOTE=mememe]I saw the movie and wasn't really impressed for the main reasons that it didn't have kurt, jean didn't need to be killed and it didn't show the "pressure" of humans wanting the mutants get the 'cure' through family, friends and media.

Spoiler:

Also angel never explained how he knew about the school or show the others why he came there.

Spoiler for About your spoiler:

Also did you forget that the mutent school is pretty well known? You would know that from watching the first movie.

Plus although I agree it would have been nice if they had shown the humans side of the news of the mutants being able to get a cure. But still is wasn't a required scene.....since every X-men fan know that you can't really cure being a mutant.

Spoiler for Oh and about the after end credit scene:
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 14:48   Link #59
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Phoenix was a huge disappointment, she was powerful, but she wasn't supposed be killed so easily.
One thing the movie did portray was that Wolverine's healing power is also a class 5 mutant ability.

Retelling the Pheonix story without involving alien empires was going to take a lot of reworking anyway, and I think they did a reasonable job. As it turned out, X-Men 1 and 2 far exceeded my expectations, and 3 was about what I had expected from the franchise in the first place - fun and exciting, with lots of cool characters, powers, and special effects. Getting good actors like Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Hugh Jackman has always been a bonus.

Spoiler for X4 theory:

Last edited by hooliganj; 2006-06-01 at 14:58.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 14:55   Link #60
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, if she sees Wolverine 'walking' towards her, couldn't she just use a telepathic lift and throw Wolverine aside? Well, we can argue that Jean probably wanted Wolverine to kill her, so she suppresses Phoenixes power a little or something.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote