Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-06-01, 16:11   Link #61
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Spoiler:

EDIT

I just re-read the first post of the thread, and it appears the bad news indeed came true, the movie definately felt rushed. I kind of hate superman returns now.

Last edited by mantidor; 2006-06-01 at 18:00.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 22:24   Link #62
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
That long reply doesn't really address my post. A movie is a movie, I don't care how much more plausible it happens to be than the comic.

I'm sorry if my posts seem blunt, but I'm hardly attacking you
When you claim someone has bad taste that isn't someone you know, I would consider it an attack, even if there's a smiley face at the end of it, but like I said, I was probably overreacting stressful times for me nowadays.

But that post did answer your questions, I've been a fan of the X-Men for years and years, what people think don't make sense, most likely doesn't but its all relative to me, there's been horrible X-Men books too that makes the movie look golden. Bad dialogue, bad characterizations, you name it, its happened to the X-Men so me watching this movie is no different then reading the books.

For example what I keep getting is "Why does Jean kill Scott if she loves him?" Well it wasn't Jean it was the Phoenix, I'm guessing when Jean "passed out" and on the verge of death all those pyschic blocks just dropped and the Phoenix saved her body, but being dual personalities Jean, and going along with what Xavier said she's a glutton for passion, lust and all that good stuff. So when Scott found her, she was Jean but as soon as they kissed the Phoenix took over and "killed" him.

And by the end of the film Jean was probably regained enough control to stop her from killing Wolverine out completely.

A lot of fans perfer the movie adpation to the Pheonix/Dark Pheonix story more then the actual comic counterpart.

Then I get "why did Rogue take the cure?" She can't touch ANYONE, why wouldn't she take the cure? Her power is so one-sided that it'd be hard to make a case as to having any moral conflicts about it. Not everyone who is a mutant is happy to be one, like Beast stated in the movie. She'd probably be the first in line for the cure if that ever happened in the books. And that's another then about X-Men which has been kinda stupid over the years, Rogue's whole I-can't-touch-the-people-I-love crap. After Forge developed a gun that can take away mutant powers, and the Genosha collars thing, that whole angle just doesn't work.

I could go on, but like I said, none of this is new to me, a fan of the franchise, X-Men movies are like Godizlla movies, maybe a handful of them a great films but a majority of them suck, but people still go see them. Why? Cause its freaking Godzilla! You know whats gonna happen, and as long as you're entertained by it, then that's all that really matters.

From what I've seen on the net, a lot of fans loved X3 there were some who hated it, but the ones that did are from the if it ain't Claremont it ain't right camp. AKA fanboys, or uptight fans that just hate everything period. All the RL fans/friends I've spoken too loved it, but had the same gripes I did, like Colossus not getting a lot of airtime compared to the rest of the team, and Pysclocke basically sucking.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-02, 01:40   Link #63
Legend Ver 2
The Omnipotent One

So anyone want to summarize about the REAL story of Phoenix from the comics, with alien empires and everything. Just a summary, not a long essay or whatever.

Oh, and if they did to X4 with Apocalypse like someone said before, I can so picture Lawrence Fishburne as the mutant immortal. He's got teh build and statue, and his facial features seem similar to Apocalypse.
Legend Ver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-02, 08:52   Link #64
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
I could go on, but like I said, none of this is new to me, a fan of the franchise, X-Men movies are like Godizlla movies, maybe a handful of them a great films but a majority of them suck, but people still go see them. Why? Cause its freaking Godzilla! You know whats gonna happen, and as long as you're entertained by it, then that's all that really matters.
Whoa, whoa, whoa.... You can't compare godzilla films to X-men 3. Godzilla films are great BECAUSE they're so terrible. It's like watching Adam West's Batman, something so bad that it's funny. X-men 3 on the other hand, was just poorly written.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-02, 09:12   Link #65
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
Then I get "why did Rogue take the cure?" She can't touch ANYONE, why wouldn't she take the cure? Her power is so one-sided that it'd be hard to make a case as to having any moral conflicts about it. Not everyone who is a mutant is happy to be one, like Beast stated in the movie. She'd probably be the first in line for the cure if that ever happened in the books.
I disagree, her power saved her life, twice in the first movie. Her power can also save other people given the right circumstances, hell, if the writters wanted, they couldve made some plotline where she needs her power to save jean. Nothing really is one sided, and is the duty of a good writter to put some conflict there to make a story more compelling, specially for something so controversial as a "cure", because given the social criticism background of the x-men comics, this is analog to a "cure" to homosexuality or race.

Also I read that there was a cure plot in the comics, and that in them Rogue decides to not take it, am I wrong?
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-02, 09:53   Link #66
Illuyankas
I need another drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
I disagree, her power saved her life, twice in the first movie. Her power can also save other people given the right circumstances, hell, if the writters wanted, they couldve made some plotline where she needs her power to save jean. Nothing really is one sided, and is the duty of a good writter to put some conflict there to make a story more compelling, specially for something so controversial as a "cure", because given the social criticism background of the x-men comics, this is analog to a "cure" to homosexuality or race.

Also I read that there was a cure plot in the comics, and that in them Rogue decides to not take it, am I wrong?
Well, was Ms. Marvel, or whoever she got flight and super strength off, a mutant?
Illuyankas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-02, 10:48   Link #67
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor

I really can't debate that since I haven't seen the first movie in years, and thus can't remember the circumstances in which her powers saved her, but over the years they have done a lot of creative stuff with her powers and there have been a lot of great stories involving them. Like when the X-Men fought the Fantastic Four (or atleast I thought they were fighting), Rogue touched The Thing, and took away his powers for a second turning Thing back into a human and she began to cry because she finally found someone worse off then her. There's only two storylines I remember there being a cure for, one was a haox, and the second was that whole, I've been an X-Man for so long I don't want to lose my family type of thing, if I remembered correctly.

And in Marvel they did do an ultimate cure book, House of M, in which of all the thousands and thousands of mutant characters Marvel has only 198 still have powers, and trust me AWHOLE lot of mutants were happy being "normal" again including one guy called Wither whom is in the same catagory with Rogue whenever he touches any living thing they die. So when he thought he was cured he touched a girl saying "I'm cured, I'm cured!" well guess what? He wasn't and those who did have powers were able to stop the infection before getting down her forearm. But now her hand looks like a dead tree branch. Although some mutants did go nuts, I remember when Storm lost her powers she kinda lost it for a bit though.

But my whole point is despite what you can and can't do would you keep something like that? The only thing that would stop me would be a team like the X-Men, but I guess that's what makes them special?
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-03, 22:26   Link #68
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
DingoEnderZOE2 you seem to forget that when the beast went near the boy he partly changed back to human, so it could be said that other mutant powers have no effect on the boy therefore she could not use her mutant ablities against him.

Also throwing is just a figure of speech.

Quote:
Also did you forget that the mutent school is pretty well known? You would know that from watching the first movie
Don't you mean the second movie in the first one it is only known for "gifted children" and i'm not sure that even in the second one that normal people knew about the muntant school.

Thanks for the credit spoiler.
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote