AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-03-08, 21:57   Link #1
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

interesting novels to read

I'm in the mood to read some mystery novels with twists and engaging characters . so throw at me the best ones you ever read with a short summary of that novel. thank you

oh and if there's an Ebook version of that novel put this star next to the title (*)

other genres that I enjoy that can accompany the mystery genre
supernatural,action,scifi,drama,romance,fantasy,cr ime,psychological. also not too heavy in politics please

Last edited by Cold~as~Ice; 2013-03-09 at 00:04.
Cold~as~Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 22:20   Link #2
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Okay. I got a novel for you. It does have mystery but no sort of detective stuff and thrillers too. It is a series too. Got everything you're asking for. Anyways, here's the info below.
Summary:

*Thirst by Christopher Pike: 1st book in series

Sita is five thousand years old and believes she is the last vampire. When someone begins hunting her, she thinks it is the client of a detective she killed. She enrolls in high school and befriends the detective’s son, and later falls in love with him.
Meanwhile, Sita’s creator Yaksha has been following her, believing he must kill her to atone for his sins. Sita thought she had killed him years before.

Now this book has some Hindu mythology but not really religious. Think of it like putting Greek Mythology in it. It's an excellent read in my opinion.

PS: Don't let the vampire part let you down. It's nothing like Twilight.

ENJOY!
Old 2013-03-08, 22:34   Link #3
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

I'm okay with vampires. thanks for the suggestion the summary caught my interest I'll start reading it next week.
Old 2013-03-08, 22:36   Link #4
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold~as~Ice View Post
I'm okay with vampires. thanks for the suggestion the summary caught my interest I'll start reading it next week.
Glad I can help. Have fun reading it.
Old 2013-03-08, 22:37   Link #5
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

if you don't mind fantasy and fiction, then the best book i can tell you is
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

It follows the adventures of a group of con artists known as the Gentlemen Bastards. They live in a city called Camorr, heavily based on late medieval Venice. The book is divided into two interspersed stories. In the present time, the Gentlemen Bastards must contend with the Grey King, a powerful figure terrorizing Camorr's criminal community. Every other chapter, however, delves into the history and mythology of Camorr, the Gentlemen Bastards, and especially the protagonist Locke

I highly reccomend it, the best book i have ever read
Old 2013-03-08, 22:38   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For me, the best contemporary mystery writer is the British author P. D. James. All of her books are darkly psychological. If you're looking for engaging characters, I recommend An Unsuitable Job for a Woman.

If you have any interest in a thriller with an emphasis on the law, Scott Turow is a good choice. I recommend Presumed Innocent which was adapted into a film starring Harrison Ford. Read the novel first, though.

Finally I'll recommend a non-fiction book that reads like a thriller. A Civil Action follows the efforts of tort attorney Jan Slichtmann to seek restitution for the residents of a Massachusetts community whose water supply was poisoned by a local industrial plant. It was also adapted into a film with John Travolta as Slichtmann. He's quite a colorful character, and the plaintiffs' stories about coping with cancers and other health problems arising from the pollution are often heart-rending.

Quote:
*Thirst by Christopher Pike
I never knew the original captain of the starship Enterprise also wrote contemporary novels!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 22:45   Link #7
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

I never knew the original captain of the starship Enterprise also wrote contemporary novels!
He uses Christopher Pike as a fictional name. Many people often make that same exact comment.
Old 2013-03-08, 23:08   Link #8
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

it the novel is heavy in politics I probably won't like it. thanks for the suggestions if I have time I may take a sneak peek on some these

Last edited by Cold~as~Ice; 2013-03-08 at 23:19.
Cold~as~Ice is offline   Reply With Quote