AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-09-25, 08:36   Link #1
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

AMD Radeon 6470M become 7400M

for some reason, after update my catalyst driver to 12.8. on dxdiag, catalyst hardware information and PC Wizard, my laptop's AMD Radeon 6470M 1GB suddenly become AMD Radeon 7400M 2GB. can anyone please explain?
Old 2012-09-25, 12:33   Link #2
sa547
*Author

^
Now that's some "hardware upgrade" you got there. What's your laptop make and model, plus Windows version?

I think you also have to grab updated/customized/optimized Catalyst display drivers from your laptop's manufacturer, due to their specialized configurations (as opposed to video cards that use standard-issue Catalyst drivers).
Old 2012-09-27, 04:57   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's probably because the 7400M is the same core as the 6470, just rebadged, and the GPU tool is confused as to which one is which.
Old 2012-09-27, 09:50   Link #4
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's probably because the 7400M is the same core as the 6470, just rebadged, and the GPU tool is confused as to which one is which.
Actually a lot of tools are confusing the two.

I'd have to say that the driver installation program has probably gotten confused since (as has already been said) the 7400M is just a rebranded 6470M and has set it up to display the information of the newer card.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 15:04   Link #5
Stealthtank

I looked through the compatiblilty list for AMD catalyst 12.8 and the Radeon HD 6470M is not listed (nor 64xx wildcards that cover it). That may explain why the driver seemingly "rebranded" your GPU.

Like sa547 said, it's best to use drivers from the manufacturer to minimize any issues. Though getting features associated with later drivers may take a while or may even never arrive at all.
Stealthtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 08:34   Link #6
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtank View Post
Like sa547 said, it's best to use drivers from the manufacturer to minimize any issues. Though getting features associated with later drivers may take a while or may even never arrive at all.
Unfortunately, going to the manufacturers website for driver updates isn't the best thing since most of the time they never update the GPU driver the computer/laptop (when I look at the driver download section for my laptop, the VGA driver listed as the latest is from over two years ago).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 09:25   Link #7
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Unfortunately, going to the manufacturers website for driver updates isn't the best thing since most of the time they never update the GPU driver the computer/laptop (when I look at the driver download section for my laptop, the VGA driver listed as the latest is from over two years ago).
Unlike PCI-E video cards, some laptop GPUs are a pain in the ass to update due to their proprietary configurations; upgrading them means trying to find the proper INF files and then tweaking, and takes time and luck, what with downloading and rebooting if it hangs up.

Once, under time pressure from a short-fused customer (what an asshole, really) who wanted to play MW3, I tried to upgrade the GPU driver for an Acer laptop by downloading recent mobile versions from nVidia (which should work with most laptops), but it got worse with the lappy suddenly gone slow as molasses, so I was forced to uninstall, and use Acer's older OEM configuration instead.
Old 2012-09-28, 18:48   Link #8
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Once, under time pressure from a short-fused customer (what an asshole, really) who wanted to play MW3, I tried to upgrade the GPU driver for an Acer laptop by downloading recent mobile versions from nVidia (which should work with most laptops), but it got worse with the lappy suddenly gone slow as molasses, so I was forced to uninstall, and use Acer's older OEM configuration instead.
Was it an Optimus-powered laptop?
I noticed when I first played MW3 on my laptop (Intel HD Graphics 3000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 540M), it defaulted to the Intel integrated graphics. I had to create a profile in the Nvidia control panel to force it to use the Geforce card.
Old 2012-09-29, 00:58   Link #9
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Was it an Optimus-powered laptop?
I noticed when I first played MW3 on my laptop (Intel HD Graphics 3000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 540M), it defaulted to the Intel integrated graphics. I had to create a profile in the Nvidia control panel to force it to use the Geforce card.
(Sorry if it's a bit offtopic) The laptop in question was an Acer 4740G with an i3 (I'm staying away from this type of laptop), which played nicely with MOH and MW2 before it was reformatted and reinstalled; it's now too picky and one can only play older games on it. That's why from that point onwards and for certain laptops I have to use the manufacturers' custom-configured drivers, even if they may be outdated.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-09-29 at 03:47.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 03:40   Link #10
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

yeah, after I play some game i realized that the "7400M" 12.8 driver that i downloaded make some game slowed down massively (60 -> 45 FPS) I decided to go to manufacturer website to downloaded the driver for my laptop, it seem like they also have their own 12.8 driver. after installed it, not only did it revert my GPU back to 6470M, it also boost speed for several game compared to my default driver.