AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-09, 19:09   Link #2601
endless2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by yFANTgirl View Post
This is really silly but... I'm having problems with the word "you".

In all other languages I speak when you are talking to a person you're supposed to respect (much older, higher position etc.) you don't adress them with a "you". You could cuss at a person all you want but calling them "you" is just taking it to a whole another level. It's just way beyond impoliteness. Even when I'm speaking English, I just can't do it. It's just wrong.

So how weird would it be, if when talking to a person I'm supposed to respect I would refer to them by their name. As in "Can Mr. Smith </insert action here>" instead of "Can you </insert action here>". I've never heard anyone talk like that in English, but then again, I don't exactly live in an English-speaking country, so I'm wondering... just how weird would it be?
English is a very casual language. It doesn't encourage formality. In most cases casual is preferred over formal. And it's not an issue of respect. In fact it's more of an issue of comfort. I think of it this way: to an English speaker it's better to be casual and comfortable than formal and respectful.

And yes speaking in third person would be very weird.
endless2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 22:50   Link #2602
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:

In all other languages I speak when you are talking to a person you're supposed to respect (much older, higher position etc.) you don't adress them with a "you". You could cuss at a person all you want but calling them "you" is just taking it to a whole another level. It's just way beyond impoliteness. Even when I'm speaking English, I just can't do it. It's just wrong.

So how weird would it be, if when talking to a person I'm supposed to respect I would refer to them by their name. As in "Can Mr. Smith </insert action here>" instead of "Can you </insert action here>". I've never heard anyone talk like that in English, but then again, I don't exactly live in an English-speaking country, so I'm wondering... just how weird would it be?
It would look very weird and probably leave a impression of superiority/haughty toward the one you would be talking, not a good idea.
You should keep the ''vousvoiment'' ( if you speek french) for the language than allow it.
Old 2009-03-10, 01:13   Link #2603
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

OK.. this is silly lol.. Out of curiosity, I tried kmplayer. All good and dandy except for one problem.

My comp regional setting is set to Japanese (dont ask ) and now my KMPlayer (in fact most of the open source software I tried) is in Japanese, and I cant find the way to switch the language, I googles, but it says right click kmp-> option -> advance but the problem is, I found option window, but I still cant find the damn advance button lol..

So please.. screenshot help ?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 20:04   Link #2604
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
OK.. this is silly lol.. Out of curiosity, I tried kmplayer. All good and dandy except for one problem.

My comp regional setting is set to Japanese (dont ask ) and now my KMPlayer (in fact most of the open source software I tried) is in Japanese, and I cant find the way to switch the language, I googles, but it says right click kmp-> option -> advance but the problem is, I found option window, but I still cant find the damn advance button lol..

So please.. screenshot help ?
This might help. Don't know if it works on KMP but does on several open source software.

Control Panel → System → Advanced → Environment Variables
New: LANG for Name and en (or other language code) for Value.

And I won't ask... I get the picture.

Last edited by escimo; 2009-03-11 at 21:24.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 04:01   Link #2605
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
here's a silly question I have about types of shipping, well not the shipping part but the part where they bring it to my house:

I've been ordering Registered Airmail for as long as I can remember, I used another service once but then UPS came over to my house and gave me an extra bill of 14 euro's to which I was not amused. But anyway when using registered air mail the local postal service in my own country, after they receive the package, bring it to my door and need a signature with everything I order, now is that because it is registered airmail? If I were to order under the label regulair airmail would they not ask me for a signature?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 11:33   Link #2606
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Because it's registered, they must and can give it to you and ONLY you. That's for all registered packages and mails.

Thus hence why they need signature. ( Though in here they also ask for ID card for verification ).

Registered airmail costs by the way much more, supposedly anyway. So if I was you I would use regular Airmail. I just read that registered packages get stolen more often anyway because they usually contain more valuable things, hence why they are registered.

Btw. I have used UPS before and there was no extra fees as there should not be. Only case when there can be extra fees is when you order ALOT stuff and you need to pay taxes or something.
Old 2009-03-14, 04:39   Link #2607
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

I have a question about sleeping pills. Are you addicted to them when you can't sleep without them even after having used them for a while or is that just normal? That distinction was always weird to me because when you think of normal drugs = taking all the time. But my old girlfriend was told she was addicted when she needed them to sleep ( not by the doctor but by her eccentric mom).
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 08:05   Link #2608
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

yes it is normal that for a while, after stopping with sleepingpills, that you won't be able to sleep like you would do with those pills. However the best method to solve that is simply by trying, basically your body forgets how to sleep on its own because you use the pills on a regular basic and when you stop your body has to relearn how it was to fall asleep on itself (enter sleep mode), you will go through a bad sleeping period for perhaps a week to 2 weeks but eventually your body will remember how to sleep properly again. (your body has to learn to stop being dependant on those pills when it comes to sleeping and relearning it is not taught in a day)

Similar with babies, my little niece who has been in and out of the hospital since December had been fed through a straw in her nose and then had to relearn how to normally drink from a bottle, for a week she refused to do it because she hasn't had a bottle in her mouth for 3 months and thus didn't remember what it was and how she should drink on her own but after a week of going through hell of crying and annoyance she finally managed to do it again
Old 2009-03-14, 09:15   Link #2609
TheZap
Mod Magnet XD

I havent been on here for a while, and I have lost rack of what is where...

Where are the signature rules ^^

Last edited by TheZap; 2009-03-14 at 09:44.
TheZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 09:16   Link #2610
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:

You're thinking way too much inside your own language (whatever it might be). First of all, most languages I'm aware of (not a statistical relevant set I admit) distinguish between closeness and distantness, not higher position and lower position, at least among adults. I.e. the appropriate form of address is the same for both parties. It's an expression of mutual respect. Second, you can't judge a word without a comparison and "you" is simply the only second person pronoun at hand, so it is neither formal l nor informal. Historically, it's even the formal variant whereas the informal "thou" has died out. Adressing someone in the third person is simply not done in English and would rather be understood as a signal of absolute disrespect. Finally, I can assure you that at least in German cussing at a person using formal language is a bit worse than using informal language because it transmits more of a distant and emotionless state of mind. Like "... and I mean exactly what I said." Informal mode, even and especially when not appropriate takes the insult the edge.
Old 2009-03-14, 11:23   Link #2611
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZap View Post
I havent been on here for a while, and I have lost rack of what is where...

Where are the signature rules ^^
in the menu in top there are forum rules and in there your signature rules

http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?...#faq_rules_3_0
Old 2009-03-14, 11:31   Link #2612
TheZap
Mod Magnet XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
in the menu in top there are forum rules and in there your signature rules

http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?...#faq_rules_3_0
How did I miss that XD
TheZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 10:35   Link #2613
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

i tried to search in GC for a thread on tv programme Skins. i was thinking of starting one on it na djust wanted to make sure there was not already an existing one out. i did a search with diffrent names but, nothing came up.
Old 2009-03-15, 13:20   Link #2614
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
i tried to search in GC for a thread on tv programme Skins. i was thinking of starting one on it na djust wanted to make sure there was not already an existing one out. i did a search with diffrent names but, nothing came up.
lol when I first read it I thought you meant skins for a TV broadcast program XD
But I guess you mean a TV show named Skins (wiki ftw lol)
anyway there isn't a topic on that series, but feel free to make one
Old 2009-03-15, 21:34   Link #2615
endless2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by danin8r44 View Post
I have a question about sleeping pills. Are you addicted to them when you can't sleep without them even after having used them for a while or is that just normal? That distinction was always weird to me because when you think of normal drugs = taking all the time. But my old girlfriend was told she was addicted when she needed them to sleep ( not by the doctor but by her eccentric mom).
It depends on how long she has been using them. Ofcoarse if she has only been taking them for a few days, then she can't really be dependent. But In general not being able to sleep without them is a sign of dependency, and dependency is a sign of addiction. Remember that sleeping pills are not a cure. She has to fine the reason why she can't sleep in the first place and treat that.
Old 2009-03-16, 17:41   Link #2616
stsaturn

Hyaku Shiki Motorcycle

http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/stsaturn/

Does anyone know anything about this bike? I want to know what color this is so i can get my bike painted like this.

Last edited by stsaturn; 2009-03-16 at 17:44. Reason: Stupid photobucket
stsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 20:44   Link #2617
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
i've been hearing a lot about smth called 2ch and 4chan. can someone tell me what this is?
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 20:51   Link #2618
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post
i've been hearing a lot about smth called 2ch and 4chan. can someone tell me what this is?
I know I am probably gonna end up regreating this but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-chan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futaba_Channel

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2009-03-16 at 21:05.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 21:22   Link #2619
endless2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsaturn View Post
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/stsaturn/

Does anyone know anything about this bike? I want to know what color this is so i can get my bike painted like this.
That looks to be either an ZX-6R or an ZX-10R. I'm would guess it's a ZX-6R due to the front wheel, but it's too customized to be 100% sure. The paint itself is probably custom too. It's defiantly a form of banana yellow, but I can't get more detailed than that.
Old 2009-03-17, 14:03   Link #2620
Dark Lord
Evil Overlord

Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Lord
Is the Zombie-Loan anime worth finishing? Thank you for your input!
Dark Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious