AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-12-26, 17:30   Link #1
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Question Fresh Pretty Cure

Animation Studio: TOEI
Broadcaster: TV Asahi
Start date: February 1st, 2009
Website: http://asahi.co.jp/precure/freshPrec...shPrecure.html

How come TOEI doesn't become tired of milking their cash cow, when it's more than obvious that their magic-girl, blockbuster hit jumped the shark several years ago?

Either Pretty Cure has fully run out of steam for gracing the audience at being one of the longest, magic-girl shows still in broadcast today? or TOEI has made a risky bet by completely, freshening up not only the universe but the main heroines cast as well?

This might be a main concern not only for the Pretty Cure fans out there, but also for the main demographic audience whom this show is targeted at.

One look at that picture, and you have noticed right away that this Pretty Cure cast looks a bit older in contrast to the heroines of the previous series.

However, I do welcome this move, since not only I find elegant both the grown-up designs of the girls, but as well their dresses, and even the mascots promise some potential. Though I just hope that those two mascots won't ruin the show by adding annoying noises in their speeches or making unbearable sounds.

For my part I'm in waiting for episode one to give my verdict. Though I must remind myself to keep my expectations low because my hunch tells me the storyline for this Pretty Cure series will strictly adhere to the formulaic conventionalities of the magic-girl genre, I do welcome with a smile on my face this grown-up and more mature Pretty Cure cast.

The new series will star Momozono Rabu/Cure Peach, Aono Miki/Cure Berry, and Yamabuki Inori/Cure Pine (as in pineapple). Their names taken off from fruits this time.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 08:41   Link #2
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I thought the new costume looks ....so typical. It's not bad, just real typical. The costumes from the generation before had it own little gimmick, it was actually pretty unique I felt. This new costume looks like random clothes that shoujo mangaka draws for the chapter covers. The costume doesn't look like 'battle costume', they look more like tea party clothes

The new mascots...look awful in my opinion. I best liked Pretty Cure 5 mascots, they actually looked cute. The new mascot...it looks like cotton candy with a baby bib.

I was honestly hoping for a new mahou shoujo series from Toei, since Sailor Moon lasted around 4 years, so did Ojamajo Doremi (which is probally one of my favourite series). Pretty Cure must have been more popular then, that Toei doesn't want to risk a new series.

I'll hope it'll be better then expected, at least the opening would be good...right?
Old 2009-01-04, 04:42   Link #3
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Preview of Fresh Pretty Cure from PC5GoGo Ep45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP6LgkMB3xk
It's really a change after Pretty Cure 5/GoGo.
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 05:22   Link #4
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I just hope they put more thought into each episode, because GoGo ones were a bit droll except for a few eps here and there.

The new costumes reminds me of Mermaid Melody. MM was one of my older faves, though I wish this one goes back to the two-fisted action of the original Precure.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 08:03   Link #5
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Sailor moon x mermaid melody x ojamajo doremi x pretty cure = fresh pretty cure? ^_^''

Toei is just milking Pretty Cure, since it makes money, why stop? It's no master piece anyway. I look forward to the songs, I tend to enjoy the openings and endings from Pretty Cure. I hope they make a new mahou shoujo next year now. Something like Ojamajo Doremi would be good.
Old 2009-01-04, 08:07   Link #6
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Well, the first Precure was seen as almost revolutionary with its obvious girl-love theme and the fist-fight nature of the battles. Precure Splash honed it further even though it was a bit less popular for god-knows-what.

I think Precure 5 sorta broke the camel's back with the serialization. I know they are miliking it, but I maybe they sorta get the hint that Precure 5's way of turning it into a tamer Sailor Moon isn't really intriguing, even by magical girl standards.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 16:11   Link #7
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post
Preview of Fresh Pretty Cure from PC5GoGo Ep45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP6LgkMB3xk
It's really a change after Pretty Cure 5/GoGo.
By the looks of the teaser trailer that I've just recently watched, the three Pretty Cure heroines each one wears a different school uniform which means that they attend to different schools, unlike all previous five seasons.

Second, the first villain which appears in the trailer has similar, cold eyes like those of Michiru and Kaoru when they first debuted in Splash Star, although that villain looks and is more mature.
Old 2009-01-04, 16:36   Link #8
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Well yeah, all three girls are from different academy
Love study at the Public Yotsuba Academy, Miki study at the Private Torigoe Academy and Inori study at the Hirotsumekusa Female Academy.
The Villain calls Labyrinth (Maze), each member call by the name of the way of a compass.

Last edited by IchiKyo; 2009-01-04 at 16:52.
Old 2009-01-31, 18:59   Link #9
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Episode 1 Screencaps
*link deleted, Episode is released, no need to put this link anymore*

Op :
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=TMnaohxGT2w

Last edited by IchiKyo; 2009-02-01 at 16:25.
Old 2009-01-31, 19:37   Link #10
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

That's right! I almost forgot.

Today (Japan time) starts Fresh Pretty Cure.

This'll be the very first Pretty Cure series I'll be watching without subs.
Old 2009-02-01, 11:22   Link #11
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Crap. I also completely forgot this started today (or technically yesterday). I'll post back with my opinions later once I watch it.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 15:16   Link #12
naruto+4s

Been taking lesson online, I can understand just about 90% of it. But I couldn't hear much, youtube sucks =/
naruto+4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 19:06   Link #13
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Wink And so TOEI freshened up Pretty Cure

Finally, seen the first episode.

I'm glad to have kept my expectations low, since the first half for the episode was rather average and a little bit slow, but the second half delivered an awesome outcome.

TOEI made its gamble and looks like for the time being the 'Fresh' (no pun intended) is working for the time being.

It's fantastic how TOEI revamped the format for this entire series. The villains this time around are serious and looks like they show potential to have their personalities fleshed out for development and growth.

Like with Yes! Pretty Cure 5 previously, TOEI broke some formulaic conventionalities on this current Pretty Cure series.
Spoiler:

And God heard my prayers! The mascots in this Pretty Cure do not make squeaking, annoying sounds in their speeches, or at least one of them doesn't.
Spoiler:

And I have become awared of the parallels that this particular season to the franchise bears with other magic-girl titles.

Looks like for this season: idol dancers and singers are theme on-stage.

They introduced Miyuki's character as a popular idol actress and being Love's dream model as a fan.

The heroines are a slightly bit of grown-up in contrast to the previous Pretty Cure heroines.

Overall, it was a decent start, and I give credit to the writers for treating their targeted audience more self-consciously.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-02-02, 00:31   Link #14
kasumicc

I honestly think that TOEI ran out of ideas since YPC5 xD Designs, team composition, everything seemed like taken out from an earlier Magical Girl show. FPC is no exception.

The difference is that YPC5 did manage to look interesting since the beginning.

Ok, I saw the first episode of FPC. It left me with encountered feelings.
The henshin was allright, the villians look interesting, the ED was cute. But Love's personality seems very stereotypical for me, and Cure Peach knowing from the beginning how to fight and all, left me with a big 'wtf!'. I can't get used to the designs yet, and the OP...I'm not sure if I want to hear it again xD
Furthermore, the episode's pace and flow of events was ackward, and I don't seem to get what's going on.

TOEI was sucessful in one point, though; the series does look 'fresh'. But I'm not sure yet if it's in a good way. This time, the main characters are older girls (one of them even has a boyfriend), so I can suppose that this series, much like GoGo, will be about some mature themes. I can imagine TOEI thinking that the Precure fandom has grown up; but, does TOEI really know what they're doing? Plenty of merchandise directed to the same target audience as always; the same time slot as always. This contradiction leaves me wondering...

Overall, decent start; but it doesn't convince me yet. I'll have to give FPC a few weeks more.

Finally, I understand that the Precure franchise is giving a lot of money to TOEI; but I really wish they could move into something new. I just don't want to think that the Magical Girl genre is so over, that the only thing possible is to permanently reuse elements from older shows.
(And...ok; somewhere very deep into my heart keeps praying for some new Sailor Moon. But I know it's not possible T_T)
kasumicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 07:59   Link #15
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Regarding Cure Peach knowing how to fight...

Spoiler:

Regarding my opinions of the episode... It was really a nice take on it after the past seasons. It was "fresh". Still, it did suffer some of the cliches of most typical Magical Girl shows, but this is probably unavoidable, but it can be made up with it's execution, which I think is working here. The only thing I found a little awkward was the pacing a bit for the first episode, but that was really the only complaint.

Love seems like a really nice character and seems to be out to helping everyone in need, since she otherwise seems unhappy if she's not able to help. In a way, she reminds me a bit of Nozomi(PC5) and Doremi (OD), but she's different too. Her getting lost in the forest made me think back to Ojamajo Doremi, when Doremi lost her way and ended up at the Mahou-do, which I wonder if that was a reference to...

We really didn't get to see much of the other characters, though we got a little more time with Miki. She does seem like the kind of "popular" girl, that just happens to be friends with Love, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'm terrible at expressing my opinions on things, but I am enjoying this for what it is. Obviously, the fansubbers are going to pass on this... But that's typical.

EDIT: Also...

Spoiler:

Last edited by ChibiGoku; 2009-02-02 at 08:24.
Old 2009-02-02, 09:13   Link #16
naruto+4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiGoku View Post
Regarding Cure Peach knowing how to fight...

Spoiler:

Regarding my opinions of the episode... It was really a nice take on it after the past seasons. It was "fresh". Still, it did suffer some of the cliches of most typical Magical Girl shows, but this is probably unavoidable, but it can be made up with it's execution, which I think is working here. The only thing I found a little awkward was the pacing a bit for the first episode, but that was really the only complaint.

Love seems like a really nice character and seems to be out to helping everyone in need, since she otherwise seems unhappy if she's not able to help. In a way, she reminds me a bit of Nozomi(PC5) and Doremi (OD), but she's different too. Her getting lost in the forest made me think back to Ojamajo Doremi, when Doremi lost her way and ended up at the Mahou-do, which I wonder if that was a reference to...

We really didn't get to see much of the other characters, though we got a little more time with Miki. She does seem like the kind of "popular" girl, that just happens to be friends with Love, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'm terrible at expressing my opinions on things, but I am enjoying this for what it is. Obviously, the fansubbers are going to pass on this... But that's typical.

EDIT: Also...

Spoiler:
I was going to say the same thing about love. I think she might have become a different person. When the evil woman says "Who are you" she replies by saying "The legendery warrior precure." The way she answers a question she shouldn't know, kinda tells us that isn't her.
naruto+4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 15:11   Link #17
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Hey, I enjoyed that. Ep1 was pretty good, I thought. I'm no expert in magical girl shows, and I won't be watching all of this one, but I thought ep1 was well made and entertaining.

I especially enjoyed Oki Kanae as Cure Peach. Her previous big role was Minamo in Real Drive, and I think she has improved her sound even since then. It's interesting to see the varied main cast: Oki Kanae, 24, who had single roles in 2006 and 2007, but whose career really only got started with Minamo last year.

Nakagawa Akiko (Cure Pine), 35, who debuted in 1994 and has had a long but not overly successful seiyuu career.

And the now-ubiquitous Kitamura Eri (Cure Berry), the youngest, at 21, but the most advanced in her career, with many prominent roles behind her (Saya in Blood+, Rin in Kodomo no Jikan, Ami in Toradora, Uchida in Minami-ke, Sanpeita in Kemeko Deluxe, Makoto on Touka Gettan, etc.).

No doubt they were all chosen in part because the producers think they have some singing and dancing talent, since Precure shows always have stage shows. Eri has already shown her singing ability in her own singing career and with anime songs like the OP to Touka Gettan. Photos (l-r): Oki, Kitamura, Nakagawa:

This is a big role for all three of them, since it pretty well guarantees at least a year of TV episodes, plus stage shows and probably a movie.

There was a live event recently for the "Precure All-Stars" movie, which will come out on 20 March, and Sanpei Yuuko had a happy piece about it in her blog. There was also a photo of the cast. I can't identify everyone, just Yukana in front, her left arm with a tight grip on her friend Sanpei-san, Maeda Ai on Sanpei-san's left shoulder, and Ise Mariya behind Yukana's right shoulder.

YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-02-02 at 15:26.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 19:54   Link #18
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Color me surprised. Someone actually went and fansubbed the first episode...
Old 2009-02-07, 19:57   Link #19
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm not completely in the deep end as far as the magical girl genre goes (then again I watch Sentai and Rider only an hour before, so...), but knowing that Eri Kitamura is in this drew me back in. She's got a nice voice - I can't resist.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 22:24   Link #20
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Episode 2 is nicely done, Kazuki
Spoiler:

Tags
magical girl, shojo