Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2013-12-28, 07:50   Link #121
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgrane View Post
Then just post it here.

Honestly I was able to make up a goal but is now lacking idea on what to do next.

runewords
For Adventurers, just think in MMORPG term because even if it take place in real world, some players just went on doing what they had been doing before Elder Tale became real (like raid...etc).

Or to put it simply: What would you as a player would do?

Based on the information you posted, the character is probably a player who is interested in the game story.

So, how do you go about looking for lore and storyline?

Answer: Questing and talking to the Landers for clues to piece together. Probably in exchange for doing certain quest/favours, the Landers will provide some information to point the character toward the next ruin for exploration.

=

How do I know that you can find out the story through NPC?

(Because I remember reading about somebody managing to pieced together a story out of old Maplestory through a list of quests (even before the formal introduction of the Black Mage).

Nobody even notice it because they skip through the conversation with the NPC.
Old 2013-12-28, 07:55   Link #122
HasuMasu
*Artist

A coincidence. I've been trying to work out another character who happens to be a <<Single Wielding>> swashbuckler as well.

It's a problem that I'm not sure what <<Aristocrat>> and <<Vampire>> do, though.
Old 2013-12-28, 07:58   Link #123
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuzu View Post
A coincidence. I've been trying to work out another character who happens to be a <<Single Wielding>> swashbuckler as well.

It's a problem that I'm not sure what <<Aristocrat>> and <<Vampire>> do, though.
I don't think an Adventurers can choose Aristocrat because it is a Lander subclass.

Edit: Not sure, need to check with source.

Probably bestowed by the King.

=

As for Vampire....probably Stats bonus for fighting at night with HP drain ability but has penalty for fighting during daytime? Probably receive extra damages from monsters who deal light damages?

===

Edit: Considering that only a Chef subclass can cook.... what would happen to players who write without a Scribe class? Does that mean that they can't write a lot of things on a piece of paper?
Old 2013-12-28, 08:11   Link #124
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

Elder Tales being an American MMORPG, you may want to look at Ann Rice's vampires or those from World of Darkness for pointers (but let's keep the crazy powers like Temporis out of the way tho).

Also WRYYYYYYYYYYYY
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 08:38   Link #125
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Elder Tales being an American MMORPG, you may want to look at Ann Rice's vampires or those from World of Darkness for pointers (but let's keep the crazy powers like Temporis out of the way tho).

Also WRYYYYYYYYYYYY
I don't think Ann Rice's Vampire is accurate enough....

For more accurate description, I suggest looking at Tabletop RPG such as D&D's description of vampire.

Since Role-Playing Games (especially Western) are still ultimately based on tabletop RPG and are technically Tabletop RPG but on electronics.

Edit: To put things very simply, MMORPG are tabletop RPG, played online, replaced dice with random number generator, automatically calculate hit and damages for the players and has actual graphic rather than imagination.

Second edit:
In fact, if you studied programming, all computer games are essentially the same. They are all number games.

=

Again, the strong emphasis on MMORPG so thinking along that line.

Things like stats bonus/penalty and additional skill must to taken into consideration.

Edit: Overskill are more like implanting game mechanics into real life

Last edited by agetreme; 2013-12-28 at 08:49.
agetreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 09:00   Link #126
HasuMasu
*Artist

That's the thing. I have to hold out a bit before the manual is translated if ever.
Old 2013-12-28, 09:50   Link #127
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

According to the Gdocs (which, mind you, is all red text apart from the name and therefore nothing beyond the name is official) Aristocrat was originally a Lander only class later released to the player. At low level you would gain a noble title (the right to be called "sir"), which would increase as your subclass level went up (Baron, Viscount, Earl, Marquis, etc). In-game benefits were subclass specific quests and reward. Post-apocalypse, it seems the subclass gives you the benefit of a higher amount of respect than the average Adventurer would get.

Original text:

Spoiler:
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 10:01   Link #128
HasuMasu
*Artist

Hmm~ I see. I didn't think of something like that.

I'll take the third option and make him a <<Sailor>>.
Old 2013-12-28, 12:05   Link #129
WhiteJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by agetreme View Post
Edit: Considering that only a Chef subclass can cook.... what would happen to players who write without a Scribe class? Does that mean that they can't write a lot of things on a piece of paper?
I'd think more in game terms as in "did anybody think to program/design this in?" and the answer is probably no; the limits of the game systems seems to be based on the rule set of the MMO as opposed to a general catch-all. Provided they aren't trying to write up an item, such as a skill scroll or what have you, it'd probably ignore what they do. If they were to write stuff that somewhat intersected with producible scribe items though then I imagine there would be a problem.
WhiteJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 13:40   Link #130
Ridwan

I was bored, so I wrote down some ideas for original characters out of whim

Spoiler:
Old 2013-12-28, 21:10   Link #131
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJoker View Post
I'd think more in game terms as in "did anybody think to program/design this in?" and the answer is probably no; the limits of the game systems seems to be based on the rule set of the MMO as opposed to a general catch-all. Provided they aren't trying to write up an item, such as a skill scroll or what have you, it'd probably ignore what they do. If they were to write stuff that somewhat intersected with producible scribe items though then I imagine there would be a problem.
Skill Scroll and contract aside (or anything that have effect on game), what about map?

Maps appear to be one since Shiroe can draw it in great detail, does that mean other can't draw a map as well as a scribe or does that mean they can't produce a map at all?

If others can produce map as well, does Scribe automatic draw a map like Etrian Odyssey and then add detail to it while others had to manually draw everything out?
Old 2013-12-28, 21:13   Link #132
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post

Spoiler:
I like how you managed to catch that "geeks trapped inside another world" bit, down to their nicknames.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 21:38   Link #133
WhiteJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by agetreme View Post
Skill Scroll and contract aside (or anything that have effect on game), what about map?

Maps appear to be one since Shiroe can draw it in great detail, does that mean other can't draw a map as well as a scribe or does that mean they can't produce a map at all?

If others can produce map as well, does Scribe automatic draw a map like Etrian Odyssey and then add detail to it while others had to manually draw everything out?
It'd probably depend on what the system calls a map. There are ways to get around it though, for instance instead of just drawing a map you could write out a list of direction ala "Turn left at the badger shaped boulder. Walk 10 feet. Jump down the hole hidden behind the tree" and so forth. Log Horizon seems to be about finding not just where the system differs from reality but also how to take it's limitations and abuse them to your benefit; if that doesn't work then circumvent the limitation by doing something the system can't comprehend. If the system takes drawings as maps then don't use drawings.

Mostly though, given Shiroe's explanation on contracts, it seems that scribes imbue what they create with Adventurer magic (i.e. automatically do things magic) and can mass produce and crank out things with insane detail. So while a non-scribe trying to produce a crude map would probably be out they would probably still be able to write things and even make documents; whatever they make though would likely just be normal world things such as all those forms that were flooding in during the Libra Festival. I'm also fairly certain we saw the production guilds writing in ledgers and the like.
Old 2013-12-28, 21:46   Link #134
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJoker View Post
It'd probably depend on what the system calls a map. There are ways to get around it though, for instance instead of just drawing a map you could write out a list of direction ala "Turn left at the badger shaped boulder. Walk 10 feet. Jump down the hole hidden behind the tree" and so forth. Log Horizon seems to be about finding not just where the system differs from reality but also how to take it's limitations and abuse them to your benefit; if that doesn't work then circumvent the limitation by doing something the system can't comprehend. If the system takes drawings as maps then don't use drawings.

Mostly though, given Shiroe's explanation on contracts, it seems that scribes imbue what they create with Adventurer magic (i.e. automatically do things magic) and can mass produce and crank out things with insane detail. So while a non-scribe trying to produce a crude map would probably be out they would probably still be able to write things and even make documents; whatever they make though would likely just be normal world things such as all those forms that were flooding in during the Libra Festival. I'm also fairly certain we saw the production guilds writing in ledgers and the like.
Yea... planning to do those thing. (e.g. Acii-art for map) and use spell-error to evade the system. (Just like how some people deliberately evade the censorship in game by changing the a letter).

Considering that the game has become real, I think Enchanter has the potential to use their skill to disrupt enemies skill (but need to be fast and time it right) or just use it for torture.... (Brain Vice got to hurt.....a lot).
Old 2013-12-28, 22:14   Link #135
WhiteJoker

Actually, maps would probably be fair game since most MMOs either give you a map with everything on it already or don't bother with one. What Shiroe was doing with the map was probably the "gaming the system" bit by applying his scribe skills to reproduce things a scribe could that the game previously didn't bother with. However the general theory of what we were talking about previously probably still applies, just replace map with whatever producible item you care to. Food is probably the way it is with the chef class because anything edible that you mess with is likely to end up being classified as food if only because the base ingredients are food objects as well; also every character has 1 level in chef by default so it's probably influencing things.
Old 2013-12-29, 02:04   Link #136
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I like how you managed to catch that "geeks trapped inside another world" bit, down to their nicknames.
Thanks. They're inspired by a number of most intelligent mercurial online communities I have ever run into on the internet. I just love imagining what they will do once unleashed in a highly populated community like an MMORPG
Old 2013-12-29, 02:20   Link #137
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
I had to laugh at the Pinoys' names. True to life.
Old 2013-12-31, 08:19   Link #138
JediNight
キズランダム

An official Twitter account has been opened recently for the Log Horizon Tabletop RPG books:
https://twitter.com/loghorizon_TRPG

The Enterbrain site now lists them with a Feb 2014 release window.
Also, there is newly posted info about it on Mamare's site here:
http://mamare.net/topics/3107/
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 09:08   Link #139
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Decide to work on SEA server story, since I have a clearer goal now... need to adjust characters accordingly.

My take on South-East Asia Server

Elder SEA Server:
Just as its name suggested the region is based on South-East Asia. Unlike other Server, it is actually more fun (Fun is subjective though) doing sea exploration thanks to the many hidden secrets, as well as a few region-exclusive high level dungeon that can only be reached by ships.

This feature give an overall Explorer/Pirate feel to the Adventurers.... and with some quests that feels like epic voyage to explore distant land.

Has micro-transaction for speeding up game-play(easier time than grinding for materials)

Traveling to other Server:

Traveling by sea is actually the faster method than on land (since you don't need to go through dungeon or climb mountains) and can cover more area than on air since there is no time-limit for being on a ship. But there is always the risk of meeting a randomly spawn Sea-monster.

Fairy Ring used to be the alternative method to using ship but you don't know where you would end up in this new world

Special NPCs:
South-East Armada (Also known as: Undying Armada/fleet or simply, zombie pirates.)

An Ancient Order that safe-guard the region against invaders from foreign land. In order to get to other (Country) server by ship, you need to buy a pass using real cash.

However it is still possible to go through them without a pass by challenging them to a duel and defeating them (Not an easy feat because of the new patch in America and Japan, their current level is 100 while players are still struck at level 90 cap).

Another method is to have a ship fast enough to outrun them but similar to the previous method, time is needed to grind for material to make such a ship.

Doing Naval Battle with an undying Armada is just as epic as it sounds. but you still need a good fleet(Alliance of Guild) for that....

Unlike your usual NPC, if they are slain, they will respawn again somewhere in the sea. Which leads to player speculating that they are actually undead zombie pirates who was cursed to guard the border forever.

But of course, with their race listed as Ancient, they are not weak against magic that deal light damage....

If you are chased by a Sea-monster (which randomly spawn), you can count on their help to take down the monster....just try not to take advantage of their kindness.... If they see you again, you are going to "drink with the fishes".

And yes an Armada.... it is a pretty intimating sight if you encounter them.... It is almost like a wall of ships.

Situation after Disaster:
Surprisingly peaceful compared to other servers. Food is cited as the ultimate demotivator.

There is just simply no reason to rob somebody...when all you can buy is really tasteless food.

Also.... Victory feels really hollow without good food that await you at the end.

But desperation eventually lead to discovery of food with actual taste and after that everything start progressing really fast.

Situation is bipolar at the best, depending on which area you are at, things can either be oppressive but calm or chaotic power struggles with Pvp-ers running wild.

Griefer/Pirates
Sea-bounded Pvp-ers tend to act pirates who attack any ship on the sea. So long as you stick to the sea route and avoid venturing too far, you would be safe from them but that also means you can't do any exploration without encountering or fighting them.

Governments in new world:
Equivalent to Round-Table

In the midst of the Chaos, a new group rise up suddenly. They are called the Seven Sea Coalition which is a very powerful group consist of different guilds.

They marched into Starting towns and make people to obey their law by force. Those who refused to obey are thrown into the sea by force and drown. Although they manage to keep some server under their control but there are still servers out there that they are trying to take over.

The closest to UN in the new world, decisions are made through voting but if no decision are reached, they do what they used to do best: Guild War with the Winner deciding the out-come of a proposal.

Punishment for breaking their law
Firstly you will be exiled..... or rather banned from entering the port... which means your ship can't make port to replenish itself and basically forced to wander the sea forever....

Just like the Flying Dutchman.

But that doesn't affect Criminals on land.... not like it matter once you die because.....

If you are killed, you will be trapped inside the cathedral (now a makeshift prison) until the Guild (that rule the server) decided to either forgive your crime or throw you back to the sea to drown or get killed by sea monster and other pirates. Rinse and repeat until you learn your lesson.... (Number of times depend on severity of the crime)

Being Drowned or getting killed by pirates was not that bad once you get used to it but the Sea Monsters is another thing.

Experience with Sea Monsters is best described as harrowing even on ship let alone face-to-face....Mostly due to the monster having the appearance of monstrous Sea Creatures such as Colossus Squid and their attack which was meant to attack ships rather than players, hurts like hell.

People of the Land
Localization team was not hard working enough to make the NPC's race diverse. They all looked European.

In fact, the NPC are basically the same as other Region... with only a few exclusive NPC here or there.

But probably due to environment, they tend behave quite differently from their foreign counterpart, with different dream and personality.

Opinion on explorers are mixed at the very best. Some welcome Explorers (who can provide rare materials harvested from monsters) while others see the Adventurers as evil Pirates (Basically barbarians but on sea).

Seven Sea Coalition may appear intimating but People of the Land soon learned that life is as usual.... since the Coalition preferred to ignore them.

As far as Seven Sea Coalition and Players are concerned, People of the Land are not humans but NPC....

And most players chooses to ignore NPC.

If you talk to a NPC for too long, Other players will give you a funny look..... it is the special kind of look.... To cut things short: They pity you for being a loser with no friends and had to resort to talking to NPC for companionship.

Life for a player is simple, stick to the routine/rules and you will be fine. But where is the fun in doing that?

===

Edited to make sure I don't overlap with another person's story.

Last edited by agetreme; 2014-01-01 at 12:19. Reason: Edited to change the situation
agetreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 13:09   Link #140
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Might as well post it here too.

Mamare is setting up a page to take ideas for unique classes around the world!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1W39...yZx5o/viewform
In Elder Tale, each server has 1 to 3 classes that gets replaced to match their native culture.

You can choose the class and send your idea on what class should replace it in certain country.
Go doooo iiiit

Tags
original content