AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-31, 22:38   Link #1981
Kirarakim

As for that photo set, Kaname wishes

If Chisaki doesn't choose between Kaname and Tsumugu soon, they might end up together.
Old 2014-02-01, 01:04   Link #1982
Thess

The future of Sayu's and Kaname's relationship depends on how fast will Tsumugu and Chisaki finally get together or make their feelings explicitly known. Although during the last episode, Kaname was starting to get the inkling and the idea it's over for him (I can argue Kaname had seen this coming from the first half, he has been jealous and looking very resigned to their growing relationship when it manifested, but at least then he was part of Chisaki's world too). The main difference between Chisaki's affection with Hikari and with Tsumugu is that one has hope to be reciprocated and developed mutual, the other doesn't. While Chisaki was still hung up with Hikari, all Kaname had to do was wait until Manaka and Hikari ended up together. He knew also part of her feelings came from her fear of new situations, so who else would she turn to? He had to be patient.

Meanwhile... with Tsumugu in the picture, this no longer can happen. Their interaction and domestic bliss is fairly mutual.

So it's up to Tsumugu and Chisaki relationship first. The sooner it happens, the sooner Sayu can advance with Kaname. At best, if Kaname moves on, there'll be an open end hinting he could be dating Sayu. That's my idea of the best case scenario. They seem to be a little less dramatic than the other couples. There's an air of comedy which gives a bit of hope for Sayu's feelings. Her self-awareness does frame it in a positive light too, like the fact Kaname never developed a significant familial bond with her and immediately perceives her as grown girl which is Miuna's major obstacle with Hikari (aside of Manaka, of course).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 01:30   Link #1983
deadite

on the Hikari is Uroko theory. Someone noticed that Hikari made a certain scowl in the show/character art that is only shared by only one other character Uroko.

The poster in BD3 is pretty interesting too....

haha man the theries and speculation generated by this show is pretty off the wall..
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 02:29   Link #1984
Pablete
Banned

I laughed at the picture chain with Kaname, good job to its author .
Pablete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 02:30   Link #1985
JediNight
キズランダム

Half of Miuna's perception problem is she lets herself be easily flustered by Hikari. Which only reinforces him seeing her as the same 9 year old.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 02:46   Link #1986
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
on the Hikari is Uroko theory.
There's a theory about that? On what basis? Manaka's been present in all the posters, so I don't think it's necessarily a sign of anything: she's the poster girl of the show. The first one had focus on Manaka and her undersea friends, the second one was Manaka with Tsumugu. I reckon we'll see Manaka with Akari or Manaka with Miuna and Sayu next.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 04:08   Link #1987
deadite

@Thess
There was a throey going around that Uroko was Hikari that was born from several Uroko related scenes and instances in the show. One was that he shows playful interest in Manaka and he knew more about the friction between Akari and Miuna even though nobody else knew about that. He is able to relate with Hikari's love problems and grinned when Hikari said that Uroko didn't know anything about him. Manaka said that Uroko once gave her really good advice about depending on her three friends respectively. Of course his knowledge of future events played in to this cute little theory as well. Similar mannerisms and facial expression from both characters not present in any other character. Also if you grew Hikari's hair really long it might look like Uroko's.

Of course it's just a theory and nobody really takes it seriously, it's cute little tidbits about Uroko as a whole makes him seem to be more intimate with the main cast than he should be.

Also the poster itself depicts Manaka alone with Uroko. Two characters who supposedly don't have that much history together but are featured prominently on that piece.
Old 2014-02-02, 08:51   Link #1988
ices
Working Hard

There are positive trend of the NagiAsu vol. 1 BD sales lately.

Total BD sales by week after release:
Week 5: 2,301 (2014 01/13 – 01/19)
Week 6: 2,914 (2014 01/20 – 01/26)

It seems that this sudden comeback started after the 2nd-cour aired. It's not something impressive yet. But remember that the first week sales started low at 1,144. Let's hope this positive trend continues.

Meanwhile, There's also Nagi no Asukara 4koma that has a cute illustration

Images
NagiAsu 4koma
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 10:29   Link #1989
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The second volume seem to be doing well in the pre-orders too. It looks like people are starting to notice this show. I don't expect it to sell a lot, but it looks like it won't be a flop at the very least.
Old 2014-02-02, 11:02   Link #1990
Birdway
Banned

Well, I don't expect the second volume to go higher because is the first volume the one who usually gets the most sales and then the numbers decreases.

Lets see if this series at least reaches manabi line or else it'll remain a flop sales-wise.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 18:15   Link #1991
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Well, I don't expect the second volume to go higher because is the first volume the one who usually gets the most sales and then the numbers decreases.

Lets see if this series at least reaches manabi line or else it'll remain a flop sales-wise.
And first volumes don't usually do 70% (and counting) of their sales after the first week. This series isn't following the rules, and it's pretty much a lock the second volume will be stronger than the first.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 18:59   Link #1992
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The second volume seem to be doing well in the pre-orders too. It looks like people are starting to notice this show.
I'm not sure if more people are starting to notice the show, but the conversion rate for purchase has improved. If I had to guess, the emergence of an older Miuna and older Chisaki may be working on a psychological level.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 19:12   Link #1993
deadite

Actually I noticed the first stirring of interest in episode 5 the episode Miuna runs away, and it was a gradual increase. Episode 8 was also much talked about and by then people agreed Hikari was such a great a character which was such a far cry on how he was compared to the first episode. People who dropped it picked it back up and you had huge slew of people watching episode 13 and wanted more and waiting 2 weeks for the new episode. The key visual was shown and people just went crazy. Episode 14 came and with such a drastic change of mood and with superb OP2 just skyrocketed interest in this show. I could discuss this show with people in a daily basis which something that wasn't possible before.

visual from ebb and flow single

Last edited by deadite; 2014-02-02 at 19:45.
Old 2014-02-02, 20:29   Link #1994
Kinali

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Episode 8 was also much talked about and by then people agreed Hikari was such a great a character which was such a far cry on how he was compared to the first episode. People who dropped it picked it back up and you had huge slew of people watching episode 13 and wanted more and waiting 2 weeks for the new episode.
I actually dropped it after a few episodes then picked it back up not too long ago. I'm glad Hikari developed in too a good character.
Kinali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 04:08   Link #1995
Arya

Yep, I agree about the improvement of the show, reaching its peak obviously at the finale of the first cour and the premiere of the second.
Sadly later it dramatically lost its boost again. I'd say that this second cour is suffering the same issues the first cour suffered in its earlier episodes.
It' just that this time I can't see how Miuna could follow Hikari's path. The nearer path she could follow as of now could be the one of some underwater super hero (j/k)

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 04:41   Link #1996
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Though by no means is it bad as the first 4 episodes or so of the first cour, this intentional romance shipping drama is starting to get on my nerves, which the recent eps have dwelled into. I am just... not interested at all. It seems to be a hot topic of contention amongst various forums everywhere, but it gets really tiring when 90% of discussions resorts to some "shipping war" and I swear I've skipped around a hundred pages of it by now. It's irritating and is something that Okada LOVES doing and she just needs to stop and get to the more interesting bits (aka the impending ice age apocalypse, what happened to the sea villages, development OTHER than character romance, which frankly isn't going anywhere at this point). If they have to take the romance route, then stop pussy footing around and actually develop Chisaki x Tsugumu's relationship and Miuna needs to stop being lovestruck over Hikari. Also delete Sayu from this show... she's being very obnoxious and annoying and serves no purpose other than to eccentuate as much angst as possible. Last week's episode was particularly bad at this, though this week was not much better.

Don't want this show to be PA Work's version of Ano Hana with supernatural elements as one is more than sufficient - If Menma Manaka is actually dead and comes back towards the end of the stories to encourage the cast to "move on" I will seriously lose it in ironic laughter . Having romance elements is fine, but not when it's so dominated by it. I want it to be a story that explores climate change, racial differences/reconciliation and proper character drama other than adolescent/young adult romance wangst.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2014-02-03 at 04:58.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 05:30   Link #1997
Arya

What I really don't get, and I didn't get back then, is why exhausting all the screen time over Miuna instead of having a more balanced time allocation to even the side characters (because as of now they are side characters). As Pocari_Sweat said there are several different and interesting threads pending from a while and treating them slowly along a span of different episodes would be something to be expected from a skilled writer as Okada. That would have even helped Miuna to come off better than what she's actually doing.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 06:16   Link #1998
ices
Working Hard

I think they rush the romance development of every main cast so early in this 2nd-cour probably because the romance won't be the main focus. I suspect they'll finish this love polygon so early and move on to another issues.

Well, so... what's actually this another issues in the second cour? All I can see that fully solved from the first cour was just Akari's issue (that actually bring the decline of Sea-dweller, causing the sea god in a weak state and thus bring the climate change and force Sea-dweller to hibernate). And also the issue of Land vs Sea conflict which seems partially solved in the Land-side. The Ofuneki that they planned as the way to prevent the apocalypse was become a nightmare for some people. The confession night of the four was becomes their last words to each other... "Nothing changed"
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 06:18   Link #1999
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
What I really don't get, and I didn't get back then, is why exhausting all the screen time over Miuna instead of having a more balanced time allocation to even the side characters (because as of now they are side characters). As Pocari_Sweat said there are several different and interesting threads pending from a while and treating them slowly along a span of different episodes would be something to be expected from a skilled writer as Okada. That would have even helped Miuna to come off better than what she's actually doing.
Except it's clearly this shift in focus to Miuna and Sayu that's moved the needle and turned the series from a flop into potentially a modest commercial success. You or I may bemoan what it's doing to the show, but Okada is laughing all the way to the bank.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 06:29   Link #2000
deadite

ebb and flow is out, it even includes Nagi from the PV.

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen